Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Has Fallout 3 become a legitimate topic of discussion?

Jack_Deth

Augur
Patron
Insert Title Here
Stabwound said:
Anyone that actually defends Fallout 3 is clearly suffering from a CRPG Stockholm Syndrome.

This is likely quite true. Black Isle and Troika made the best RPGs with teams of a couple dozen people. Now, Bethesda, Bioware, Obsidian have a couple hundred people churning out drivel to the lowest common denominator. Since we are so starved for air, we enjoy it. Only when going back and seeing the older games do we realize how much better they were. They did more with less.

Big commercial RPGs likely died with Troika, now onto the indie RPG where the people working on them actually have a heart.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Enjoying FO3 with the FWE mod until I started playing the Anchorage DLC simulation and the combat started sucking really bad. At first I contributed it to the fact that I'm forced to use small arms and my small arms skill is only 28; turns out some reason FWE decided not to re-balance the weapons in the simulation, leaving them with their original statistics. Good thing I waited for the mods to fix the game before getting it. :P

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Gord said:
Oh; I fully agree with that. FO3 isn't much of a rpg. Probably after Morrowind (if they ever had) Bethesda stopped doing proper rpgs. They are doing action-adventure-hiking-games with stats. Or something.
But I had fun with their games nevertheless.

I had played FO1/2, too. Somehow I still never felt as betrayed or let down by Bethesdas version of Fallout as others did.

Btw.: I liked Megaton. Should have been the major quest hub IMHO.
The irony that is lost on most is that Bethesda knew how people would take it, but did it anyhow. The "Outcasts" in FO3 are trying to defend the true way. Actually, it's awesome. FO3 is fun, modable, and but isn't the worlds greatest RPG. So what? They ruined FO? No, blame Interplay for that.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS THE REAL IRONING IS THAT MOST FUCKNG RETARDS HERE PLAYED THE GAME ALL THE WAY THROUGH THEN CRIED ON THE INTERNET HOW THEY HATED IT THEN PLAYED THE GAME AGAIN RIGHT SKYWAYSW

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
BLOBERT said:
BROS THE REAL IRONING IS THAT MOST FUCKNG RETARDS HERE PLAYED THE GAME ALL THE WAY THROUGH THEN CRIED ON THE INTERNET HOW THEY HATED IT THEN PLAYED THE GAME AGAIN RIGHT SKYWAYSW
Truer words were never bellowed, bro...

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
BLOBERT said:

I played Fallout 3 out of sheer morbid curiosity, and to see if all the bitching against it was all actually true (and it was).

Along with Dragon Age: Origins, after I finished playing Fallout 3, I threw the fucking DVD over my fence and that's where it belongs....

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
JAESUN YOU ARE A BRO

MOST FUCKS HERE CRYABOUT GAMES NOT BEING AS GOOD AS BG2 OR NWN THOSE FUCKS NEED A BRIAN TRANSPLANT

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Jack_Deth said:
Stabwound said:
Anyone that actually defends Fallout 3 is clearly suffering from a CRPG Stockholm Syndrome.

This is likely quite true. Black Isle and Troika made the best RPGs with teams of a couple dozen people. Now, Bethesda, Bioware, Obsidian have a couple hundred people churning out drivel to the lowest common denominator. Since we are so starved for air, we enjoy it. Only when going back and seeing the older games do we realize how much better they were. They did more with less.
Fucking addicts.

DakaSha

Arcane
As a newfag im calling all newfags who defend this shit fucking newfags

I love that all the stuff that sucked in F3 gets carried over to NV gets ignored in the latter game.

Wacky as shit side quests? Check (Sorry, but two insane people pretending to be superheroes pales in comparison to a small army of Ghouls trying to fly into fucking space to find utopia)
Boring as hell locations? Even worse in NV because it just copy and pastes 90% of it's assets from F3.
Crappy voice acting? Check, at least F3 has Malcolm McDowell.

Because apparently only things are bad when Daddy isn't doing them

DakaSha

Arcane
a friend of mine stopped multiplaying indie strategy games with me due to playing F3.. should i continue the friendship?
True story btw

mysterious-stranger said:
pales in comparison to a small army of Ghouls trying to fly into fucking space to find utopia)

Officially, the Vaults were nuclear shelters designed to protect the American population from nuclear holocaust. However, with a population of almost 400 million by 2077, the U.S. would need nearly 400,000 Vaults the size of Vault 13, while Vault-Tec was commissioned to build only 122 such Vaults. The government, and Vault-Tec, never really believed an actual nuclear war would occur; the real reason for the existence of these Vaults was to run experiments on pre-selected segments of the population to see how they react to the stresses of isolation and how successfully they recolonize Earth after the Vault opens.
The Enclave, responsible for the experiment (officially known as the "Societal Preservation Program"), considered themselves prime candidates for recolonizing the world after a nuclear holocaust and to this end commissioned the construction of their own shelters, isolated from the Vault network. The purpose of the Vault experiments was to help prepare the Enclave for either re-colonizing Earth or colonizing another planet if Earth turned out to be uninhabitable.

lol-guy.jpg

The derpness is from way back, son

And that was stupid, and that whole idea is why I found Mr House stupid, because if the Enclave who had significantly more research couldn't pull it off, what the hell made him think he could do it?

Gord

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
The derpness is from way back, son

A race of intelligent raccoons living in an colony known as the Burrows was originally intended to appear in Fallout, but was cut due to style issues.

In-game references can still be found in The Glow.

True story, bro

Captain Shrek

While I haven't played FO3 or Oblivion, I consider it a shame that ME gets much better response from the codex.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Konjad said:
Gord said:
Maybe we should just move it to general gaming...

It wouldn't be enough. All Bethesda related topics should be gone to General Discussion.

Stop being so pretentious. In that case about 70% of Obsidian related topics should go there as well. And who will want that considering that Obsidian totally didn't go into decline and started making console crap?

But F3NV is a totally different game and a proper sequel to Fallout what am I talking about?!

BLOBERT said:

Bro you seem to be very obsessed with me. Why?
Care to name a single game I completed then bitched about it then completed it again?

Jack_Deth

Augur
Patron
Insert Title Here
After reading the biggest dickhead moves thread, seems Fable 1 and 2 are also fair game.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Konjad said:
Skyway talking about being pretentious... :lol:

I still have yet to learn how to pretend to be an elite PC gamer, shitting on consoletards even though they are enjoying exactly the same games I am.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
fly into fucking space to find utopia
This was debunked way back when it gave 1eyedking an aneurysm. They're not flying into space, they're flying into a part of the wasteland that's filled with high levels of radiation where they'll be left alone. In one of the good endings for Novac, some of them even come back to help out the town.

Roguey said:
fly into fucking space to find utopia
This was debunked way back when it gave 1eyedking an aneurysm. They're not flying into space, they're flying into a part of the wasteland that's filled with high levels of radiation where they'll be left alone. In one of the good endings for Novac, some of them even come back to help out the town.

And....they need rockets for that because? Honestly it'd be easier to repair a car, if only for the sight of a Ghoul roadtrip

Gord

Arcane
They are the equivalent of religious crazys. Their leader is claiming he had a "vision" to bring "his people" to the "promised land" after all.

I considered it kind of a joke by the developers that their crazy plan did work out in the end.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom