Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Editorial Has Obsidian lost its luster?

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by VentilatorOfDoom, Jun 21, 2010.

1. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    Tags: Obsidian Entertainment

<p>... is a question <a href="http://kokugamer.com/2010/06/20/has-obsidian-lost-its-luster/">pondered by Koku Gamer</a>. Although they seem to be confusing Obsidian with BIS.</p>
    <blockquote>
    <p>When I first came to Kokugamer, the first article that I wrote was a wish list for the upcoming <em>Fallout: New Vegas</em>. It was lengthy, and maybe I was asking a little bit too much during the course of it. Now, all I find myself asking Obsidian when it comes to this game is, &ldquo;Please don&rsquo;t screw this up.&rdquo; All I want is for the original team to re-create that magic from when I first stepped out of Vault 13. If they mess this up, I honestly think that the only thing left that could make me lose all faith in them is an awful remake of <em>Plane</em><em>scape: Torment</em> where the Nameless One is voiced by Nolan North.</p>
    </blockquote>
    <p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/98374-has-obsidian-lost-its-luster.html">GB</a></p>

^ Top  
  2. Too many people do that.

^ Top  
  3. DarkUnderlord Bringing that old Raptor magic.

DarkUnderlord
    You mean Obsidian isn't BIS?

^ Top  
  4. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    I had to double-check to make sure that it was indeed Vault 13 that was mentioned, and not Vault 101.

Too used to Fallout 3 getting all the dick-slurping nowadays.

^ Top  
  5. SuicideBunny (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻

SuicideBunny
    Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
    the way he mentions nwn2 as if motb never happened is kinda suspicious.

^ Top  
  6. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    To the majority of gamers, it either didn't, or it was worse than the OC.

^ Top  
  7. Vibalist Arcane

Vibalist
    Who found MoTB worse than the OC? How skewed and fucked up is your taste if you think that? It's impossible.

^ Top  
  8. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Many major game reviewers for one, granted, not much worse though. It's the spirit meter that did it I think, and there's no way one of the best settings/stories etc can make up for one "confusing" game mechanic it seems.

^ Top  
  9. Demnogonis Saastuttaja Magister

Demnogonis Saastuttaja
    Obsidian, the proud Bioware/Bethesda lite, developers of two good titles but those days are already in the past.

^ Top  
  10. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Uh... Bioware? Bethesda? Blizzard? CDProjekt, even?

^ Top  
  11. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    wut

^ Top  
  12. Felix Arcane

Felix
    Out of the "new shits" that labelled RPG (edgy enough ?), I enjoy their game the most along with Piranha Bytes.

Still waiting to see that engine, I feel that could be a turning point for them.

^ Top  
  13. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite

Roguey
    So the original Fallout team is now Feargus Urquhart and Scott Everts? I really really hate knowing more about worthless game trivia than professional website guys.

Oh and Alpha Protocol was a modern-day remake of Torment. Look at Avellone's comments about making it more about combat and using animation and facial expressions instead of text and having "a lot of dialogue options be represented visually, instead of described" if he were to remake it. Nolan North was Morte and I was kinda disappointed he didn't say "Hey chief, you okay?" when he came to rescue me.

^ Top  
  14. 1eyedking Erudite

1eyedking
    Low-level D&D is more entertaining than all the high-level sci-fi influenced crap like the different planes of existence, astral projections, galaxy travel, time travel, attainable godhood, and all other bombastic, epic fluff. It completely fucks up the mystery in the setting.

MotB had a cool vibe to it, though, and was more of an exception; I can understand people not tolerating all that sort of crap, however. A pity that most reviewers dis it for the wrong reasons, though I concur it's a bad, bad game overall.

^ Top  
  15. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    NWN2 isa fuckin' good game so fuck off with yer bullshitz.

^ Top  
  16. Vaarna_Aarne Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Fixed it for you.

^ Top  
  17. Alexandros Arcane

Alexandros
    Sure hasn't, and Alpha Protocol is the proof of that.

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  18. circ Arcane

circ
    Obsidian never had any luster to lose. JUST WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? SOME KIND OF FORMER SPICE GIRL WHO'S NOW MARRIED TO A TWO TIMING FOOTBALL STAR BUT REALLY HE'S ACTUALLY A GAYBOY.

^ Top  
  19. CrimHead Scholar

CrimHead
    Not very familiar with Eastern Mythology and Religion are we?

^ Top  
  20. Rhalle Magister

Rhalle
    It never had any luster.

It has been and is a second-teir company staffed by yeomen who will never become masters-- with the exception of MCA, who made a single masterpiece over a decade ago, and who will never reach that caliber of work again.

^ Top  
  21. Felix Arcane

Felix
    Ignorance is his specialty.

^ Top  
  22. MetalCraze Arcane

MetalCraze
    MotB, MotB, MotB and MotB?
    Jeez dude you are so good at math.

^ Top  
  23. Radisshu Prophet

Radisshu
    And the astral concept was also common among medieval philosophers (scholastics), it was their way of explaining how the soul could be connected to the body. So uh, you're completely fucking wrong mate, they just share influences with sci-fi.

^ Top  
  24. Sceptic Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Sceptic
    Divinity: Original Sin
    KOTOR 2, SOZ, AP, and MOTB up there is what he meant I think.

Haven't tried AP yet and not so sure if KOTOR 2 deserves that honor (then again all of the games I liked in the past 10 years or so have been flawed gems so...) so I'm not sure I entirely agree with the classification.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.