Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mod News Hearkenwold updated to v1.45

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Tags: Hearkenwold; Knights of the Chalice 2

Community member Dorateen's big kustom mod Hearkenwold for Knights of the Chalice 2 has just been upgraded to version 1.45. It's the first major update released since KotC2 made it to Steam and GOG back in March.

Apart from various fixes and additions, the campaign now includes a new adventure called Edinmoor, which was designed for 7th level characters, though it can be embarked upon earlier for a bigger challenge.

Dorateen has also put up a combat video to go with the update, though I, for one, am strongly disappointed that he doesn't use the Commander Boreale voice pak:

Hearkenwold can be downloaded for free here. Needless to say, you will need a working copy of Knights of the Chalice 2 to run it.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Hearkenwold is a great campaign, similar to SSI's Gold Box games in tone and length, except each piece of content is more unique and events and sequences of events are more fleshed out, it would have been considered the best was it released among those.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hearkenwold is a great campaign, similar to SSI's Gold Box games in tone and length, except each piece of content is more unique and events and sequences of events are more fleshed out, it would have been considered the best was it released among those.

Also a really nice change of pace to the default KOTC 2 campaign. Encounters are challenging but much more grounded and I really enjoyed the experience of being able to stumble into high level encounters that you need to come back to later on.

I suspect people who really enjoyed the KOTC1 original campaign will love Hearkenwold.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've definitely been waiting for this (or maybe, more of this).

High-level DnD really isn't my cup of tea, so more grounded campaigns somewhere in the 3-15 level range are definitely more to my liking.
Plus everything I've read about the Augury campaign put me off as well.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer

High-level DnD really isn't my cup of tea, so more grounded campaigns somewhere in the 3-15 level range are definitely more to my liking.
Note that you also have the option to play the original Iceblink Engine version of the campaign (which always gets updated before the KOTC2 one) if you're looking for a lower key experience, for the record I'm playing the campaign in this version, because I started long before KOTC2 was released, and it's been ton of fun already.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Note that you also have the option to play the original Iceblink Engine version of the campaign (which always gets updated before the KOTC2 one) if you're looking for a lower key experience, for the record I'm playing the campaign in this version, because I started long before KOTC2 was released, and it's been ton of fun already.
That said, the KOTC2 version does give you the chance to experience Pierre's class and system design.

I know not everyone has the highest opinion of Augury of Chaos and, in particular, its encounter design, but KOTC 2 does have some good systems under the hood.

Hearkenwold is a pretty fun way of experiencing that.

Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane
I'd encourage others to jump in and try the Editor to make more modules. It doesn't have to be an epic, narrative affair with choices and consequences all over the place. A straight up dungeon crawl is perfect for this engine.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

Hearkenworld is great

its also better suited for an OC than Augury of Chaos imo (better pace and difficulty optimisation)

KOTC 2 campaign was honestly too hard, and I like hard RPG games..but KOTC2 was just hard in ways that suck..like you suddenly all fall down stairs or get blitzed with that prismatic spray spell or whatever its called before you can act...challenging is much preferred and seems different than unfairly difficult IMO.

I know some people like that kind of difficulty, and some people like that old AD&D dungeon where you just randomly die all the time (Tomb of Horrors?)..but I generally don't..I like lower level challenging, sort of low (though not zero) magic and magic item settings and games. I think Pierre just has a totally different idea of what is fun than I do. He seems to like Uber high level, Uber magic, almost super hero type stuff with crazy races and classes...which is fine..I appreciate Pierre exists and what he has contributed over the years which is why I will always buy his stuff, but I always imagined the best thing about KOTC2 might end up being the design aspect of the game engine, at least from my perspective. Looking forward to playing this, in this engine.

FriendlyMerchant

It would be interesting to see more custom maps for all the fights and have all the characters compressed into one tile for the exploration maps. I don't know if the latter is possible in the engine but it would be nice to see since as it is, the formation can often trigger fights or events unintentionally.

Dorateen

Arcane
Yes, the original version of the module in the Iceblink engine was designed around the party being represented by one token to navigate the exploration maps. I knew going into this project it would lead to some compromised situations. Dark sun had the option to display the party as just one character sprite until combat, I’m not sure if that would be possible in kotc2.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Hearkenwold; Knights of the Chalice 2

Community member Dorateen's big kustom mod Hearkenwold for Knights of the Chalice 2 has just been upgraded to version 1.45. It's the first major update released since KotC2 made it to Steam and GOG back in March.

Apart from various fixes and additions, the campaign now includes a new adventure called Edinmoor, which was designed for 7th level characters, though it can be embarked upon earlier for a bigger challenge.

Dorateen has also put up a combat video to go with the update, though I, for one, am strongly disappointed that he doesn't use the Commander Boreale voice pak:

Hearkenwold can be downloaded for free here. Needless to say, you will need a working copy of Knights of the Chalice 2 to run it.

Thanks for posting this.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Dorateen, I didn't take this seriously. I thought it was just a sort of pet mod you made, half-baked or something.
Thanks to the positive words here, I am going to give it a try! Thank you for putting the work in.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom