Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The motion of "throwing" the card feels like fun. I see why they did it, and it works.

Knife Juggler may be a tad overrated but you can make that work to your advantage: you can expect your opponent to freak out a bit when you drop one and try to eliminate it as fast as possible, especially if you manage to summon a few minions in the same turn you dropped him. That could allow you to turn his attention from another minion you just dropped and want to survive until next turn, get him to use some small removal spells, etc.
I know, that's actually part of why I like him. There's certain creatures that kind work as "soft taunts" and make people freak out and use removal, often inefficiently. If someone's gonna burn some effort to get to a knife juggler, that can well put me in a winning position. Depends on what I have in my hand of course.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The motion of "throwing" the card feels like fun.

To you, maybe. For me, it feels unnecessary and awkward.

Rest of it looks cool enough. Let's see if it will knock DoC off the throne as my go-to-digital-TCG.

EDIT: Any quickstart guides out there that optimize early progression? Also, do you keep your stuff after closed beta ends, or will it get wiped?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
the throwing motion is okay, even if I think it's mostly a tablet thing.

Also, do you keep your stuff after closed beta ends, or will it get wiped?
you keep everything.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
The throwing motion doesn't bother me. If anything it's consistent with the way you play other cards. And no, there is no plan for a wipe once the beta ends.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
There's certain creatures that kind work as "soft taunts" and make people freak out and use removal, often inefficiently. If someone's gonna burn some effort to get to a knife juggler, that can well put me in a winning position. Depends on what I have in my hand of course.

heh, ethereal arcanist and mana wyrm certainly got that soft taunt :) My oppenents nuke them like there is no tomorrow :)

I'll also do the same thing if a paladin or priest plays "questing adventurer" from now on. Just lost a game where it turned into a 14/8 monster in a paladins hands... just in 2 turns!

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Bah, 1-3 arena run with priest, even with plenty cards I liked. No good combos tho, and that's what counts. Ah well, that happens in arena. At least my run right before that was 8-3 with a hunter (I didn't retire at 8, no, I never got to 9 so I'd like to at least once, final match I got dominated by a priest tho).

So is there any place I can view my overall stats? I haven't really kept track, not even sure how many arena runs I've had, so just seeing total wins is kind of uh...really pointless?

Zeriel

Arcane
Modern Blizzard doesn't want to hurt your feelings, so you only get to see wins, not losses!

(You'd think I'm kidding, but I'm not. This is basically the thought process behind the design, and they've used it in other games.)

abija

Prophet
I think someone made an app that tracks wins/loses per class through image matching. It doesn't inject stuff but not sure how safe it is. If you really want to know I guess it's the only solution. (http://blog.hearthtracking.com/)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Grunker you didn't post your account and number here

:D

Grunker#2670

Please let me know if you add me, I don't want to accept all sorts of random dudes :)

I really want to play Arena, but don't dare until I have a better understanding of the game. Again: any good guides out there?

Grunker you didn't post your account and number here

:D

Grunker#2670

Please let me know if you add me, I don't want to accept all sorts of random dudes :)

I really want to play Arena, but don't dare until I have a better understanding of the game. Again: any good guides out there?
Added ur ass but idk how friend reqs works in this glorious new battle net, I think you have to add me and my characters as well. It's herostratus 1551

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Modern Blizzard doesn't want to hurt your feelings, so you only get to see wins, not losses!

(You'd think I'm kidding, but I'm not. This is basically the thought process behind the design, and they've used it in other games.)
Booo. That's terrible. Guess I should've kept track myself. I'm not that interested in my Play stats since I've used that to finetune decks and thrown some games early, but Arena stats would be interesting, including what class you do well with (though that's not hard for me to figure out, my three best runs have been hunter-priest-hunter). And at least they're somewhat easy to figure out, if you can remember how many arena runs you've done (I think I've done 8 with 33 wins, so I'd be 33-24?, which is ok)

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
No wipe I don't think.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/ is a pretty good site with some template decks. Best way to ramp up wins early; play priest. Otherwise, best way to learn the game is to play it.

EDIT: man, them changes. I thought they were just nerfing unleash the hounds, but they're basically changing it completely. This'll change Hunter's quality in a major way. Admittedly they were too powerful, and unleash the hounds was really cheap.

Like the changes to SSC and Argent Commander. Those were simply too good for their cost. This'll help.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Play the AI in practice mode until you are lvl 10 with all classes and unlocked all basic cards. That should give you an idea on what every class does. You might want to make customs decks as you go as Blizzard's default decks aren't too good.

Else I had most early successes as Mage, for what it's worth.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Yeah, shoulda mentioned; AI battles are super-boring, but also useful. They'll teach you not just what your own deck does, but also a familiarity with the plays opponents have available (even with AI being beyond horrible at pulling them off). I dunno if I'd grind each class up to 10 with it, that gets kinda boring (if also kinda necessary to unlock basic cards).

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Well it's possible to get into normal play mode without a complete deck but I'm not sure that's a good idea. Since the goal is to get to lvl 10 ASAP to unlock all the basic cards, and you get more experience when you win, and many classes are crippled without certain cards you get by leveling up, it could get frustrating. But yes, apart from giving you some familiarity with some of the cards, fighting against the AI gets dull very fast. Still if you want to accelerate it, I found that Druid and Shaman AI tend to be worse than others.

Zeriel

Arcane
You get bonus gold for beating all the AI on Basic, and another gold bonus for beating all ofl them on Expert. So you might as well fight the AI when you're starting off. It's an extra 2-3 packs.

J1M

Arcane
I don't like the change to unleash the hounds. Now it is a shitty aoe that is stopped by taunt and requires a wolf instead of spell damage to kill 3/2 cards.

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah, it's... dunno.

Clearly they are taking the World of Warcraft approach to balancing. All the changes are to balance things for the vast majority of players who have no clue what they are doing, while ignoring the meta at Masters 3. Hunters don't do very well there, and didn't need the nerf. Mages dominate there, but are unscathed.

Regardless of whether or not it was a needed nerf, new UtH isn't worth running.

Also, balance changes are lagging the meta game by weeks, if not months. They're addressing problems that have largely disappeared from the game as a result of changing deck composition, I suppose in 3 months we'll see balance changes to address things that are currently an issue but won't be then?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I don't like the change to unleash the hounds. Now it is a shitty aoe that is stopped by taunt and requires a wolf instead of spell damage to kill 3/2 cards.
it has the potential to be very powerful, actually. 1) the dogs have charge. 2) they will draw cards for buzzard.
at worst, it's an extremely shitty 1 damage spell for 4 mana. at best, it's a massive card draw and decent damage spell (although forced to attack taunts).
also by being bests, they can get buffed by beastial wrath and stuff. or buff a hyena like crazy.

shattered sun should have had its battlecry nerfed instead of the health.

mages should have had blizzard removed, perhaps replaced with another mage-unique minion.
mages will be the most powerful class by far after this patch.

argent commander nerf was good, it was one of the strongest card in the game, and had a place in pretty much every deck.

DakaSha

Arcane
Unleash the hounds was bullshit, regardless of how well it does in 'top tier' matches. The point is that it wasn't fun. It was a shitty card.

We dont have the patch yet in NA though

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
shattered sun should have had its battlecry nerfed instead of the health.
Yeah, really didn't get that one. Make it +1 attack for basically a lesser dwarf seems like the most obvious fix. Removing one health does make it a bit iffier because that makes her killable by weenies but it doesn't really fix things. It's more significant for the AC because removing him is higher priority, before people pull annoying panda shit.

And yeah, I expected *some* change to mages. But perhaps blizzard has a different perspective on it. They don't just want to balance for the top-tier all-aggro play, they want to balance overall. Mages don't seem that good in arena, for example.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom