Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Thats probably only your perception as newcomer. Netdecking is plaguing both games roughly equally simply because people are lazy and sites like hsreplay or mtggoldfish are super effective in determining high winrate playsets due to the mass data they get fed with. However, i have heard something about the matchup system of Magic Arena, which calculates your winchances against certain deck types and cuts out all the decks you either have a very high or very winrate against, so that might add to the problem of low variety.
Yeah it's possible that I haven't played hearthstone enough to even recognize meta decks. I don't watch streamers or read netdeck sites so everything I build is totally custom and with whatever cards I happen to have that I think would work well together.

I'm rank 19 and keep getting win streaks so idk what rank I'll end up at, but as far as I'm aware I haven't seen the same decks popping up every game. Maybe at lower ranks meta decks aren't as much of an issue?

MTGA though is awful; the same 3-4 decks being used EVERY match even in the lowest ranked and unranked. I think it has something to do with how easy it is to craft your first deck combined with how much the game rewards winning, so I guess everyone just googles "most powerful mtga deck" and copies it. For me, the game's unplayable right now because I can't stomach playing against these same decks over and over, even though I do like MTG's mechanics and interactions better than hearthstone's.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Hearthstone is far worse. Only time it's different is a week or two after an expansion drops.

Even in arena, people just use Heartharena and mindlessly play on curve.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm rank 19 and keep getting win streaks so idk what rank I'll end up at, but as far as I'm aware I haven't seen the same decks popping up every game.

The new Standard was rolled out just two days ago. Give it time.

IIRC the first few days of the new expansions were always fun but then everything became a match between like three strongest decks, usually 2 aggro and 1 control, all of them usually completely broken. And the fix either never came or did only months afterwards since Blizzard doesnt like to patch their cards because muh card value.

Plus IF they decide to patch something they don't just adjust a card slightly, they completely obliterate it. One of the two reasons I stopped playing, the other one being the absurd prices.

Plaguecrafter

Novice

Basically, this. I had an itch to play Hearthstone's Arena the other day after not following the game for a year. I got in, took the cards that were good on curve and got 7-1 before getting bored and uninstalling again.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Just noticed they covered up Jaina's cleavage since the last time I played. Jesus, Blizzard, how fucking pathetic can you be? Especially funny because 4 of the male characters are half-naked with massive bulging muscles.

Wonder if they'll put her in a tent in vanilla WoW/WC3 reforged.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I found this warlock card "darkest hour" and basically it kills your minions and replaces them with other minions in deck. Combine with cards like 'summon 4 imps for 4 mana' it's fucking hilarious turn 5/6 win

tCXFoRM.jpg

tUcDxU0.jpg

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Hearthstone is far worse. Only time it's different is a week or two after an expansion drops.

IIRC the first few days of the new expansions were always fun but then everything became a match between like three strongest decks, usually 2 aggro and 1 control, all of them usually completely broken.

Yup, been doing just daily quests and you guys are right. Every fucking rogue I go up against is the same 'burglar' control deck, every druid is the fucking same treant deck, every mage is pyromaniac control. Warriors are all infinite armor control with dragons, etc..

What's worse is that these are the only decks used in BOTH ranked AND casual. I guess I get using meta decks or whatever in ranked but even in mtga you see way more variance in casual. They don't even have a chat system that I can use to flame netdeckers :( :(

Oh well, I've been just playing draft in magic since the new set came out, that's p fun for now. Guess I'll just jump between games whenever they get stale

Doktor Best

Arcane

IIRC the first few days of the new expansions were always fun but then everything became a match between like three strongest decks, usually 2 aggro and 1 control, all of them usually completely broken.

Yup, been doing just daily quests and you guys are right. Every fucking rogue I go up against is the same 'burglar' control deck, every druid is the fucking same treant deck, every mage is pyromaniac control. Warriors are all infinite armor control with dragons, etc..

What's worse is that these are the only decks used in BOTH ranked AND casual. I guess I get using meta decks or whatever in ranked but even in mtga you see way more variance in casual. They don't even have a chat system that I can use to flame netdeckers :( :(

Oh well, I've been just playing draft in magic since the new set came out, that's p fun for now. Guess I'll just jump between games whenever they get stale

What are you talking about? Tempo pirate rogue is far more prevalent than burglar control. There are many different combinations between those two archetypes currently so thats why people see a lot of rogues. I see hunter overtake rogue though in near future since their mech and secret hunter archetype is pretty similar in power level and they have a much better match up against warrior. Those two decks already have a better winrate on hsreplay than any rogue deck.

Yes, druid is pretty much limited to token druid because they killed their ramp mechanics in the last balance patch. Sucks.

Mage is seeing a new more aggressive archetype developed just right now surrounding mana cyclone and a lot of cheap spells. Warriors have 3 different control setups right now (dragons, bombs, fatigue)

There are definitely classes that need a little more love (shaman,warlock,paladin,priest), but i would say the metagame is far more diverse than last year. Even those 3 classes have atleast one deck that you can hit legend with.

v1rus

Arcane
I see hunter overtake rogue though in near future since their mech and secret hunter archetype is pretty similar in power level and they have a much better match up against warrior. Those two decks already have a better winrate on hsreplay than any rogue deck.

While I agree with everything you said, this is aint gonna happen. While Hunter is in a decent spot, Rogue is miles ahead. HSreplay stats dont mean much - hunter is way easier to play, me go face mostly, while Rogue has notoriously been "so many options" class, thus the higher ranked players often making shitton of mistakes and getting worse wr.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
What are you talking about? Tempo pirate rogue is far more prevalent than burglar control. There are many different combinations between those two archetypes currently so thats why people see a lot of rogues. I see hunter overtake rogue though in near future since their mech and secret hunter archetype is pretty similar in power level and they have a much better match up against warrior. Those two decks already have a better winrate on hsreplay than any rogue deck.

Yes, druid is pretty much limited to token druid because they killed their ramp mechanics in the last balance patch. Sucks.

Mage is seeing a new more aggressive archetype developed just right now surrounding mana cyclone and a lot of cheap spells. Warriors have 3 different control setups right now (dragons, bombs, fatigue)

There are definitely classes that need a little more love (shaman,warlock,paladin,priest), but i would say the metagame is far more diverse than last year. Even those 3 classes have atleast one deck that you can hit legend with.

You say there's lots of variety but that doesn't change the fact that every time I'm matched against a rogue, druid, warrior, mage I always see the same cards and strategy

Maybe it has something to do with classic cards having strong staples that are used in every deck, idk

v1rus

Arcane
You say there's lots of variety but that doesn't change the fact that every time I'm matched against a rogue, druid, warrior, mage I always see the same cards and strategy

Maybe it has something to do with classic cards having strong staples that are used in every deck, idk

No, it has to do with meta decks being immensely more powerful than non-meta decks. If you wanna be competitive, you are going to play a meta deck. You might dip and splash it however you want, but the shell has to remain the same. Sure, some pros might pull out some crazy scores with meme/nonmeta decks, but thats about it. You are rarely going to see any decks lower than t3 in low ranks or high legend.

OTOH, strategies change with matchup. You dont play the same deck same way against every matchup. If you are seeing players pull out same tactics all the time then you are either playing in high ranks, with bad opponents, or playing the same deck over and over again, thus people try to counter you the same way.

J1M

Arcane
The issue with the meta in hearthstone is that given the volume of recorded games, the meta is able to settle much faster than for other CCGs. So the interesting period of time when that is happening is shorter.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
People were complaining you have to pay money for cards? In a CCG? 'k.

The new solo mode is great news for me, this "no price, no reward" system doesn't interest me in the slightest. The old mode was actually a p. decent value for money, unlike their pack pricing. 60 packs for 70 euro is far, faaar, FAAAAAAAAAR beyond utterly ridiculous.

The point of one of my older posts apparently sailed over your head. The reward for price cost of the new solo content is worse than the ratio you are now complaining about for buying packs.

That said, since they gave the first wing out for free, I reinstalled and tried it out. It has a lot of effort put into it and since I had 2800 gold before quitting I'll probably just buy the rest. It comes with the legendary that gives you the ability to play premade decks in versus play. If I can tolerate that I will go back to playing just enough to get 2800 gold for the solo content then stop and wait until they release it.

Casual/ranked is still whale-tastic bullshit and horribly balanced.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
People were complaining you have to pay money for cards? In a CCG? 'k.

The new solo mode is great news for me, this "no price, no reward" system doesn't interest me in the slightest. The old mode was actually a p. decent value for money, unlike their pack pricing. 60 packs for 70 euro is far, faaar, FAAAAAAAAAR beyond utterly ridiculous.

The point of one of my older posts apparently sailed over your head. The reward for price cost of the new solo content is worse than the ratio you are now complaining about for buying packs.

Because you knew that a month ago when I posted that. Have a gold star.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You realize they revealed the pricing and rewards of this content back then, right?

Angthoron

Arcane
Been playing this casually, just some rank climbing in Standard with Whizbang decks, and now after I get all of adventure wings unlocked, the new Whizbang you get for unlocking all wings.

You do get trash PvP value if you look at it in terms of 15 packs total, but it's also that "5 new random evil decks" Whizbang 2.0 card, which should be pretty decent. I mean, at the very least it's a Legendary's worth of dust, and at most, 5 decent decks for current meta.

Also the adventure is fun so far. They did a good job. Normal mode is a bit too easy, but I guess Heroic will make up for it. Also, some of the new treasures are ridiculous. Helpful Guide was just a pile of laughs.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
So you reacting to my post a few hours after the Dalaran release and not back then is pure coincidence right?

How do I 'react' with information I already posted that you completely ignored at the time? Blog post dated end of February: https://playhearthstone.com/en-us/blog/22912682/

Players who want to dive even deeper into the story can unlock additional chapters as they’re released for 700 gold each, or purchase the entire experience for $19.99. Each additional chapter comes with two all-new characters to play, each with three Hero Powers and four starting decks to unlock, usable against dozens of new bosses across multiple game modes. After completing each chapter, you’ll earn three card packs from the new expansion, and for completing all five chapters, you’ll get a card back and a Golden Classic pack.

WHAT A CO-INKY-DINK!

Revenant

Play? Play is not the problem, imagine vomiting 500+ bucks into it every year.
From my experience, it's entirely possible to maintain 2-3 competitive decks just from doing dailies so no bucks sunk needed if you just want to play. A bigger problem is that the more time passes the more lolrandom and memey cards and decks get in this game, so victory depends more and more on bullshit RNG.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's possible, but not fun. The more entertaining decks -- which are usually sub-optimal but still fun -- are insanely costly. You also get bored playing the same shit constantly. The latest solo content was fun, though. And now they seem set on giving people these Wizbang type cards that auto-generate you a solid deck (based on existing recipes). I'm okay with playing just enough to farm 2800 gold every ~3 months to get the solo content if they keep adding these Wizbang cards so I don't have to bother with buying packs.

Other than that, the game is a huge whale shit-fest with a continuation of the two legendaries per class trend, three expansions per year, and now gating hero skins behind $80 pre-order bundle purchases versus $10 as a separate transaction.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
From my experience, it's entirely possible to maintain 2-3 competitive decks just from doing dailies so no bucks sunk needed if you just want to play. A bigger problem is that the more time passes the more lolrandom and memey cards and decks get in this game, so victory depends more and more on bullshit RNG.

I've long since accepted the insanity and howl with the rest by playing only in Wild. Everything there is lolrandom and lolmeme and lollol.

Hearthstone is a game to be played for the lulz. If no lulz are to be had, it's best to move on - it's not a serious game.

Revenant

It's possible, but not fun. The more entertaining decks -- which are usually sub-optimal but still fun -- are insanely costly.
Well, of course you'll have to put in money if you want to dick around with useless suboptimal decks, because you kind of need the full collection for that. Talk was about normal play, you can always find scenarios where ridiculous amount of dust/money are needed.

You also get bored playing the same shit constantly.
You should stick to playing the same deck if you want to get good at it.

The latest solo content was fun, though. And now they seem set on giving people these Wizbang type cards that auto-generate you a solid deck (based on existing recipes). I'm okay with playing just enough to farm 2800 gold every ~3 months to get the solo content if they keep adding these Wizbang cards so I don't have to bother with buying packs.
solo content :facepalm:

Other than that, the game is a huge whale shit-fest with a continuation of the two legendaries per class trend, three expansions per year, and now gating hero skins behind $80 pre-order bundle purchases versus $10 as a separate transaction.
So what if you don't need both class legendaries. There are plenty of competitive decks that use one legendary or none at all. But I guess that's your usual complaint about value per money.

I've long since accepted the insanity and howl with the rest by playing only in Wild. Everything there is lolrandom and lolmeme and lollol.
Lol @ wild

Hearthstone is a game to be played for the lulz. If no lulz are to be had, it's best to move on - it's not a serious game.
Sad thing is that it was a much more serious game in vanilla and Naxxramas and some players (like me, though last time I played was in Rastakhan's Rumble) would like it to go back to being that way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom