Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Sad thing is that it was a much more serious game in vanilla and Naxxramas and some players (like me, though last time I played was in Rastakhan's Rumble) would like it to go back to being that way.

Yeah, it was more serious back then. But very unbalanced - much fun it was playing warrior against freeze mage. No tech against that for warrior. I also remember how much fun playing priest against miracle rogue was.

Lol @ wild

Zzzzz @ Standard - wild doesn't have the same stale meta as standard. Wild meta changes, day to day. A good thing IMO

But even so, I prefer Arena over everything else in the game and that's where I spend most of my time. Getting blown up by drooling noobs using third-party drafting tools.
rating_negativeman.png
rating_negativeman.png

Revenant

I completely lost any interest in arena when they "balanced" it. Considering that neither standard nor wild are particularly interesting at the moment or in the foreseeable future the game is just not worth playing.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
I completely lost any interest in arena when they "balanced" it.

They're always balancing Arena, that's a constant process - but I like the limited scope of Arena. You draft your deck, and can play at most 14 games, then it's over.

The balancing of Arena has been a mixed bag, certainly, but with the new custom set inclusion, it's varied and much more interesting than it used to be. IMO.

Revenant

By "balancing" I meant the patch when they upped the number of epics and legendaries in the draft so that deck quality increased so dramatically that arena games started to resemble just another kind of constructed. Having a lower deck power level before left more room for player skill and thus it was more interesting.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
By "balancing" I meant the patch when they upped the number of epics and legendaries in the draft so that deck quality increased so dramatically that arena games started to resemble just another kind of constructed. Having a lower deck power level before left more room for player skill and thus it was more interesting.

That's fortunately been abandoned. Now it's specific predetermined sets and cards organized into drafting buckets, which are adjusted both automatically and manually. In most cases this prevents decks from looking and playing "like constructed", especially the set limitations.

Rarity, i.e. epics, rares and commons don't really matter much in Arena, as you know, it's not the rarity of the card which impacts the game, it's how good the card is in Arena. Many of the best Arena cards are commons.

So each three cards offered will have a similar power level for Arena, but may have different rarities, e.g. a common, common, rare in the same pick, or a rare, rare, epic - and so on.

The current sets in play are
These are valid for 2 months, then they rotate out for a new mixture of sets. This makes Arena constantly fresh, nobody is really an expert until a month in - and then there's only a month until rotation. I like it.

Plaguecrafter

Novice
Sad thing is that it was a much more serious game in vanilla and Naxxramas and some players (like me, though last time I played was in Rastakhan's Rumble) would like it to go back to being that way.

This was never supposed to be a serious game. They admitted it. People just took it seriously so they can feel good about themselves.

Speaking of turbo-autists, actually been playing this again just to check out all the singleplayer stuff I missed. Most of it is really fun, the Dalaran shit in particular. The basic premise of the deckbuilder singleplayer stuff was fine with "Dungeon run" but that has some really fucky balance in it, but the Dalaran one is more reasonable. Gives you more tools to try to finesse your deck and less straight up "Fuck you" enemies if you're going for a certain build. Just been half-assing the multiplayer enough to accumulate shekels to slowly unlock more acts to Dalaran and having a good time with it. Surprisingly enough having more fun with that than I am with Thronebreaker, which I picked up for $15 in the sale. The production values are really high on Thronebreaker but the gameplay isn't nearly as good. Slay the Spire's still king of the digital deckbuilder heap but Hearthstone's not shabby at all.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Been playing arena in HS now since MTGA's draft format is a rip off once you have all the xpac cards. It's actually fun! Nice substitute for mtga draft while waiting between new sets.

Wish MTGA would implement some sort of phantom draft like this

Doktor Best

Arcane
I still vastly prefer magic draft as it just allows for more synergy effects to take place. Always having to choose between merely 3 cards means that you will play midrange vs midrange pretty much all the time with the occasional slightly faster or slower mana curve.

But yeah its fun too. And also a great option to build a collection if you are good at it.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Oh and i just went out 1:3 and i swear every single loss was against some heavily missplaying mage asshole who either topdecked puzzlebox or cheated it out with tortollan and the thing went absolutely bananas in their favor. Fuck those pricks, i didnt deserve this...
:despair:

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Yeah I think I like magic draft more, really sucks that mtga doesn't have a cheap phantom draft. But I like the midrange matchups that HS has, a lot of the time you actually get to play out at least half the deck

Oh and i just went out 1:3 and i swear every single loss was against some heavily missplaying mage asshole who either topdecked puzzlebox or cheated it out with tortollan and the thing went absolutely bananas in their favor. Fuck those pricks, i didnt deserve this...
:despair:

I have a standard mage deck with puzzlebox and I've drafted puzzlebox in an arena run and literally every time I play that damn card it fucks me over! It'll like heal enemy hero to full, buff all his minions to 20/20, wipe my side of the board etc... If I'm lucky it may freeze like one minion on the other side. I've literally never had it work out in my favor :(

J1M

Arcane
Will be interesting to see how they try to monetize the new auto-chess mode they are adding.

J1M

Arcane
Will be interesting to see how they try to monetize the new auto-chess mode they are adding.

I think it said something like if you buy a certain amount of packs you get to pick between 3 heroes at the start instead of 2.

Soo basically it's P2W? seems pretty bullshit
not that I'm into the autochess shit anyway doesn't bother me
Yeah, but that is a pretty timid approach to monetization. A round 1 if you will.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

I think it said something like if you buy a certain amount of packs you get to pick between 3 heroes at the start instead of 2.

Soo basically it's P2W? seems pretty bullshit
not that I'm into the autochess shit anyway doesn't bother me
Yeah, but that is a pretty timid approach to monetization. A round 1 if you will.

well the mode's dead on round 0 so it doesn't really matter

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

soooo I tried the auto-chess mode...

it's actually pretty fun

:?:?:?

Can you TLDR it?

mmm it's prolly easier to understand by watching someone play or trying it out but basically you get some gold every turn and spend it on minions that have effects/synergies/battlecries/other keywords and you just try to build a strong board to take on opponents.

I tried the dota autochess a while back and that game took forever and made no sense to me but this is quicker and easier to pick up by just playing. Not something I'd play all the time but it'll be fun every now and then

But that means.... DAWKINS, NO!

I did watch a match of it though and it looks like it might be fun to poke at every once in a while. Only thing I'm unsure of is if it has any integration or connection to Hearthstone-proper at all. Like if you get quest progress, daily win progress, any Hearthstone rewards, etc out of it. Not really a huge deal since all I do with Hearthstone is fuck around with the singleplayer stuff and grab my 5 ranked wins a month with Whizzbang/cloak decks, but still. Once it's out for general consumption I'll try it out.

J1M

Arcane
Unlike other auto-chess games I have watched videos of, the Hearthstone one allows you to look at two units and predict the outcome of them attacking each other.

Dawkinsfan69 why did you drop $50 to play the mode a week early?

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
But that means.... DAWKINS, NO!

Dawkinsfan69 why did you drop $50 to play the mode a week early?

Well I usually pre-order HS xpacs. This and MTGA are the only games I really play and MTGA's free for me at this point so... :oops::oops::oops::oops:

Anyway battlegrounds is pretty chill especially to play on phone. I think you made a good point when u said that seeing the stats helps; in other autobattlers it's a lot tougher to look at a board and predict the outcome, especially if you haven't played a whole bunch of games

Fired up Hearthstone to look at the new thing and I guess this is how they're monetizing it.

Vu7Jo0k.jpg

Which makes no fucking sense. As far as I can tell (Having not actually played yet) there's no connection between your Hearthstone collection and this, so if someone is a battlegrounds fan and doesn't give two shits about Hearthstone they have to buy 30 packs, which if you aren't earning gold is pricey ($40 for 30 packs at the standard rate) and the buffs only last until the next expansion. And then "Bonus stats" and "Choose from 3 heroes" sound like actual gameplay benefits, too. How much they actually matter I have no idea but that seems like some weird monetization. Why they didn't just repurpose their HotS assets into an auto battler I have no idea, since HotS is pretty dead and they could've had bouncing tits to try to sell it rather than static Hearthstone art.

Edit: Looks like "Bonus stats" is just telling you more about your gameplay stats, rather than bumping up your critters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom