Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

DakaSha

Arcane
So pay fucking money. jesus

Zeriel

Arcane
They really should rethink the power spread of 1-3 creatures. Way too many 2 drops counter 3 drops, with no buffs or other plays necessary.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
The might of the shadowform. Requires a little of attention when using holy nova and holy fire :M

DakaSha

Arcane
Im using the soulpriest, healing circle and blademaster with other high health cards and the two target healers.

Its not only gimmicky (thus fun) but so far seems at least as effective as my current non gimmicky ranked deck that ive been having success with

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I somehow lucked into two shadowforms (one gold) and prophet velen in my packs. That makes for a fun priest deck (if they're all played hero power is basically a fireball), but it doesn't do particularly well in 3 diamond. I probably built it badly overall.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm starting to put together a shaman early game control deck. Really fun playstyle. Of course, I lack half of the cards I'd like, but hey, you work with what you got.

Also, since I can't play Arena currently, new cards are far away.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I'm starting to put together a shaman early game control deck.
shaman has such good early game too.
rockbiter, lightning storm/bolt/forked, earth shock, and of course feral spirits.
between these spells and pumping out totems, chances of getting a good 4+ minion bloodlust midgame are pretty good.
edit: and of course stormforged axe and flametongue. sooo many options.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
This is the basic shell I'm working my toward: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=437359

(modified hugely due to lack of cards, obv)
interesting deck. I think one stormforged is enough though.
he's very on point with the earth elemental however. not many people run removal cards.

That's what got me interested. So far it's been really good at eating 2 - sometimes even 3 - cards.

Stormforged is a key card, at least so far. It is essential for keeping the early game advantage. Usually you'll want this:

a) 1 or 2 drop

b) keep 1-for-1ing/2-for-2ing your opponent so that you remain the only one with a minion (or two, God forbid) on board

c) keep the advantage in the mid game and take home the win

Right now I win via huge Bloodlust swings and the 4-mana guy that gives one of your guys Windfury. This won't be feasable in the longrun though. Also: the decks weakness so far is clearly the frost mage, and since that's all there is at the top end, well... I'm not holding my breath that it'll be able to compete at higher tiers ;)

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I got a golden flame imp and disenchanted it for 400 dust thanks to the recent nerf. Four rares later and my deck is starting to see a little bit of success.

Finding Nat Pagle in the same pack did nothing to diminish the mood, let me assure you. Now I just need to randomly draw legendaries that can fight.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I just got an extra Hearthstone beta yet. I suppose most people have the beta by now, but I'm giving this away anyway.
The first pre-2013/200+ post codexer to post (who hasn't already got access to the beta) gets it. Don't PM.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Had a mediocre shaman run in arena(4-3). I really don't like the overload mechanic. It's hit or miss, for example if I open with dustdevil(also known as jinn) and enemy can't kill it immediately I start to snowball. If however he manages to eliminate it, it is almost impossible to come back in the game because my tempo is getting screwed.

Other heroes like priest or paladin have equally strong starting but they are not as punishing as our totem loving friend.

ps I also have a spare eu key if anybody is interested (hope it works, got it three days ago) .

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Had a mediocre shaman run in arena(4-3). I really don't like the overload mechanic. It's hit or miss, for example if I open with dustdevil(also known as jinn) and enemy can't kill it immediately I start to snowball. If however he manages to eliminate it, it is almost impossible to come back in the game because my tempo is getting screwed.

Meh, that's because you go all in on Overload by the sound of it? I don't think that's the correct way to play with the mechanic. If you don't have a relevant play next turn/don't stand to gain immeadiate board advantage using an Overload card, don't play one. Play a normal card.

In other words: simply playing an overload card when you can isn't very good. It's one of the reasons I don't use Dust Devil. Cards like that can't really be played as anything but all-in. Cards like Lightning Bolt/Lightning Storm/Stormforged Axe/Earth Elemental tell you exactly what they will gain you the turn you play them, more or less. So they're easier to plan for.

DakaSha

Arcane
So im considering trading my golden deathwing again but this time for ysera. Thoughts?

Had a mediocre shaman run in arena(4-3). I really don't like the overload mechanic. It's hit or miss, for example if I open with dustdevil(also known as jinn) and enemy can't kill it immediately I start to snowball. If however he manages to eliminate it, it is almost impossible to come back in the game because my tempo is getting screwed..
Dustdevil is bad because it has 1 hp, not because of overload.

Overload lets you play more shit on one turn making the momentum swing on that turn bigger than it'd usually be. That, or it just forces you to plan ahead a little bit. It's an alrigth mechanic, not the most innovative I guess.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I find that it's one of the best things about Hearthstone (besides Arena being fairly well set up and the excellent visual/audio design). My main complaint about Hearthstone is that the mechanics are too simplistic, you learn very quickly what the most important concepts are and how to play them. "Planning ahead" (i.e. the foundation for being good at a TCG) is pretty easy in Hearthstone compared to other TCGs because plans are few and clearly structured. At least Overload requires you structure a fairly complex secondary plan and makes you decide between multiple possibilities :)

DakaSha

Arcane
fuck it i dusted the golden DW for ysera.
shes easily the better card and winning more = more chances to get more goldens

DakaSha

Arcane
My priest deck im working on

smdsv9.png

Any thoughts? I need another 5 drop and cant really decide. I had a dark-scale healer which is cool when i have clerics up but a dead card when i have a soulpriest up.

edit: will try abomination for now. May be good to slow down aggro decks

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I played priest today.

Played all the shit cards I hate being used against me:

2x thoughtsteal
2x shadow word pain
1x shadow word death
2x holy nova
2x northshire
1x pwshield (would be 2x but hell if I will actually buy any priest cards)

BUT, I skip mindcontrol. I also don't do any of that shadow damage stuff.

I also ran with Defender of Argus and I also put one in my druid deck.
Defender of Argus is very good.

Oh and I had an enforcer, too. They're pretty meaty.

DakaSha baby you need azure drakes
even if not for the +spellpower, a card draw for a 4/4/4 is good.

I'm considering making a charge/fat minions (war golems?!) deck with warrior for luls.

Last edited:

DakaSha

Arcane

I was thinking about drakes but i have only one spell that benefits from Sp and my card draw is pretty damn good right now. Abomination seems ok.. the only thing is that it isnt too useful vs mages which are obviously a big thing in ranked right now. Drake costs 5 not 4 btw

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014

I was thinking about drakes but i have only one spell that benefits from Sp and my card draw is pretty damn good right now. Abomination seems ok.. the only thing is that it isnt too useful vs mages which are obviously a big thing in ranked right now. Drake costs 5 not 4 btw
oh yeah. nevermind me, it's like 6am here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom