Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Hearts of Iron 4 - The Ultimate WWII Strategy Game

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by GarfunkeL, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Removal Educated

Removal
    I don't think it is, since if you let the civil war run for a while and delete the doomstacks the US drops on Germany, various events fire about how the US and UK are starting to hold war games and concentrating forces in the north sea. At least it seems like a US intervention is supposed to happen pretty late, but the US usually declares war right away

^ Top  
  2. Vaarna_Aarne Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Yea, it really seems odd that there would be an option for US intervention within weeks of the civil war starting, when both UK and US outnumber the Germans in number of divisions. Similarly, it seems Germans can't even make atomic bomb threats or retaliations to being nuked. With the conditions being like that, it'd make it so that it'd be crazy NOT to intervene immediately if given the chance since the odds are so stacked in the US/UK's favor.

The way nukes work in the mod does have a neat little detail in that they change target tile's terrain type.

^ Top  
  3. Life of the Party Arcane

Life of the Party
    Sure, imbalance and bugs, but my main issue is this seemingly way too popular notion that civil wars in a HoI game, particularly those involving as many sides as possible, are something good and desirable and that we want as many of them as possible.

It's messy by design, not by mistake.

^ Top  
  4. Vaarna_Aarne Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    I personally can see why the notion got so popular, since Kaiserreich made pretty strong proof of concept on it making for interesting scenarios. I'd just say that TRW doesn't do it particularly well.

^ Top  
  5. Vaarna_Aarne Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    Another installment in "things we came up with to avoid having to do a Soviet expansion!"

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Fedora Master Arcane Patron

Fedora Master
    The more things change... :lol:

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Theodora Erudite Patron

Theodora
    (Hyuuuuge) Bulgaria dev diary out: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/hoi4-dev-diary-bulgaria.1424172/

Does it please or appal you, fantadomat?

Show Spoiler

Byzaboo go: owo

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    LoL neither,i have lost fate in paracuckz long time ago,they fucked up the moment they ignored in the released version and focused on fairy tale countries. That is why i just modded me self a nice three,shame that modding it was more fun than playing the game. The core play loop is pretty tedious as it is in all modern paracuckz games. Just make a powerful infantry/artillery and watch the retards melt.

Also that byzantium shit is clearly a dumb devs assuming that everyone in that area were grecophiles that want to remake byz lol. Both ww1 mod and the kaiserreich have better threes than vanilla.

Anyway,i will most likely will play it when releases.

^ Top  
  9. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. RobotSquirrel Educated

RobotSquirrel
    use this one instead its way better https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1946557392

Some highlights:
    - Actual Soviet Union tree that is separate from the original Russia tree and has its own unique mechanics
    - Actual win states for Central Powers
    - The war doesn't just result in a constant stalemate due to unbalanced techs like in the original TGW mod
    - some of the alt-history is funny
    - Germany has the ability to stab Austria in the back proper with interesting mechanics
    - Austria can prevent Ferdinand's assassination which creates a new dynamic trigger for WW1 (I had a run where WW1 never happened rather it turned into a small proxy conflict between Russia and the Ottomans)
    - Most of the world has unique focus trees
    - Alt history Britain is completely crazy to play as

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I have zero interest in the alt history, but I'll give it a try.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Yeah,i have played a few game in it a half a year ago,maybe. Back then it was pretty fun,but unfinished. Pretty historically accurate and very hard to achieve more than what happened in history. It took me a lot of tries to beat Kebab,greece,serbia and romania in the second Balkan war :smug:. The most annoying part was how the battle line don't move,which is pretty accurate :).

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. RobotSquirrel Educated

RobotSquirrel
    Well if you just follow what the AI does you'll get historically accurate WW1.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Theodora Erudite Patron

Theodora
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    I had forgotten about that scenario actually!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    ^ Top  
  16. Ovg Cipher

Ovg
    I bring to you the best mod ever for us storyfags. And non-storyfags too.
    A mod that has more content for shithole countries than normal HOI or Road to 56 has for majors.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2173766180&searchtext=the+new+order
    The New Order Last Days of Europe

Play it faggots, writing is better than ANY new rpg. So enjoy. If you want I can give you a list of mods I play it with.

Also a spoiler for one path for a certain country that can be nazbol or fascist as well if you go right.

Show Spoiler
    This man believes the long dead Russians tsars son Alexei is still alive and in hiding, waiting to return one day like Jesus Christ. This guy wants to prepare Russia for his return so he ethnically cleansed the countries people, purge his own staff, create secret police, and gasses his own civilians when they protest. He sees and hears things like angels. Not going to spoil the juicy bits but he is by far the worse outcome for Russia. Even the Aryan Brotherhood is better by comparison.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. FEDSMOKER hellbound and dumb as fuck Patron

FEDSMOKER
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    ^ Top  
  19. FEDSMOKER hellbound and dumb as fuck Patron

FEDSMOKER
    yes its my most played game on steam lmao

• How about this as a button How about this as a button x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    I think I will make the mistake of buying it this time, for the multiplayer and for the WW1 mod mostly. I guess the AI is still garbage, but at least they've added some details and mechanics. I remember when there was no oil resource. Yet naval invasions are still conducted with convoys, which is atrocious.

So what, only Albania left on the Balkans without its own focus tree?

Still haven't tried Darkest Hour's WW1 scenario, too occupied with The Seven Years' War and a tv series I'm watching in the evenings, with a mixture of curiosity and disgust.

^ Top  
  21. Vaarna_Aarne Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    That sets me a timetable on my STRENG GEHEIM campaign for TNO I guess.

^ Top  
  22. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    Raise hands whoever realizes the irony of Paradox putting an Australian in charge of a DLC centered on Ataturk's Turkey. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. FEDSMOKER hellbound and dumb as fuck Patron

FEDSMOKER
    can't wait to see what armenian_genocide_denier_1488 thinks of the expansion pack. lookin forward to his hot steam review

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    I tried the WWI scenario just now. My favorite scenario - play with Russia and avoid entering the war, kind of predictably leads to WWI never starting. Europe continues to reign over the world, and communism and fascism never gain traction. Everybody wins.

• Funny Funny x 4
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.