Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Hearts of Iron 4 - The Ultimate WWII Strategy Game

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by GarfunkeL, Jan 23, 2014.

1. thesecret1 Arcane

thesecret1
    Events and decisions react to the way you play (and to historical events, if applicable) rather than some retarded timer that HoI4 has, it attempts to portray history rather than some retarded meme shit, you get a great degree of control over your forces rather than just assigning them to a front and having the AI take care of it (I mean, seriously? AI controlling all the forces... in a fucking WARGAME? Yes, I know you can still manually control them if you want to, but you lose out on the general bonuses because the game clearly WANTS you to let the AI control the war part. Ludicrous), and the AI isn't half bad – it's no genius, but it provides good challenge, and is fully capable of beating you if you make a mistake (lilke waiting with declaring war on USSR – have fun getting buried under endless Soviet forces). It is a an all around solid game with a good modding community that let's you play out an actual WW2 scenario that reacts to the shit you do, not some reddit-tier meme game about ressurrecting the HRE or similar shit while abstracting away basically everything

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    Well, I dislike HoI2 because:
    • It's not a simulation. They created aircraft in a way to ensure 2 tiers up would always beat theirs opponents.
    • You can break events easily.
    • You have brutal delays between creating and deploying army. Even when original infrastructure and training fields must be available because deployed division had to train somewhere, the game uses delay as if they are making training field from scratch.
    • Rocketry.
    • They don't simulate actual tank losses, and loses in artillery.
    • Sub warfare is badly simulated.
    • Carriers and theirs fighters are not separated.
    • You can't spend 100 of currency and create a new general with level 0 skills that would improve.
    • Crashing.
    • Save file corruption.
    • War in China.
    • Lack of actual detailed terrain.
    • Weather isn't simulated. (and it's not even pre-recorded historical)
    • +- percentage bonuses because they used ad hoc stuff instead of simulating it.
    HoI4 solved some of these problems, for example you can get bogged down on the river, paratroops are useful, and carriers had chance to act as carriers before Paradox decided to remove ship combat range from combat, thus carriers can be hit by DDT torpedo at 150 km range.

HoI4 focus trees solved A LOT of HoI3 problems and allowed a versatility, so it's no longer Germany attacks Russia and gets destroyed like clock work. It's sometimes Fascist UK declares war at Nazi Germany.

^ Top  
  3. thesecret1 Arcane

thesecret1
    Okay, but I'm not talking about HoI2, I'm talking about Darkest Hour.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. Space Satan Arcane

Space Satan
    66,466 current Steam players online. DLC revievs very positive. That is a rare sight

• cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Math! Math! x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. HeroMarine Irenaeus

HeroMarine
    I'm pissed it fucks up Kaiserreich.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Comte Arcane

Comte
    Hows performance? Saw some people mention it slowed down the game.

• decline decline x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    Use old version of HoI4.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Malakal Arcane

Malakal
    Finally adding rail and proper logistics would elevate HoI4 over all the predecessors in an unquestionable manner. I'll wait and see how it is tho.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Is that the one where France's gameplay is literally "Choose your retarded ideology to inevitable crash and burn the country"? :lol:

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Fedora Master Arcane Patron Edgy

Fedora Master
    No that's real life. :smug:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    And that's not even remotely the funniest shit that's going on.

^ Top  
  12. Niggerino Savant

Niggerino
    A huge change in the new supply system is that supply is no longer calculated per state but per province. So it's much harder to concentrate troops now, for example in bottlenecks.

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. RobotSquirrel Learned

RobotSquirrel
    I don't know if this is supposed to happen but I just had AI Stalin completely ignore the plot and not even bother purging.
    I think it might be broken.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Niggerino Savant

Niggerino
    I really like the new supply because of the increased immersion and strategic options. For example, as Soviet Union you have two supply depots connecting the capital and the Caucasus. One in Rostov and one in Stalingrad. So if you get pushed back and lose the depot in Stalingrad you are utterly fucked on that front, and there are no depots east of Stalingrad so you would have major problems defending there.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Slurp this person's delicious asshole Slurp this person's delicious asshole x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    Is it just me, or is new system of doctrines simplified into: You have military XP, thus you can click, click, click and you have instant three steps of a doctrine. Effects are instant, and as long as you have mil XP, you can do spending.

^ Top  
  16. Rean The only Rean Patron

Rean
    Strap Yourselves In
    You have to be literally mentally ill to give any Paradox game a positive review.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    Fuck 2021, even Stalin went soft.

• decline decline x 2
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Malakal Arcane

Malakal
    One could argue this is literally what military experience is... learning how to fight.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    Actually it kinda reminds me early version of Imperator Rome. You have money... so click buttons and have stuff.
    Time to train these soldiers into new doctrine, that doesn't exist. Do you need defensive doctrine? Click and you have it. Do you need offensive doctrine after few years of fighting Germany until they bled out? Click and you have it. Why spend years of effort, why spend months of training, Paradox new leadership gives you free doctrine change at mere cost of 400 military XP.

• Button Button x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Malakal Arcane

Malakal
    Your soldiers learned the doctrine gaining XP for you - exercising, fighting etc.

Anyway thats semantics and I dislike instant doctrines too.

^ Top  
  21. Tyrr Savant

Tyrr
    XP is just the good old Paradox mana.
    You collect mana, press a button and stuff happens.

^ Top  
  22. Van-d-all Liturgist

Van-d-all
    First few days, like pdx forums are for sycophants - stream viewers, wannabe meme lords and pseudo nerds - what seems to be their current audience. Give it a month for some actual players to spreadsheet it all and see how bugged and unbalanced it probably is.

^ Top  
  23. Niggerino Savant

Niggerino
    After a few games I find the new supply system underwhelming. It's just not a huge change to the game although it's a positive one.

^ Top  
  24. what am i doing Arcane

what am i doing
    Sounds like the mana that Paradox insists they aren't putting in their games.

• decline decline x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Niggerino Savant

Niggerino
    Just had a really enjoyable game as KMT. The best part was the new army doctrine and army xp system. Because before I would just have army doctrine on research but now I have to wait for the xp to come in and then I have to decide if I want to spend it to decrease some army penalties to China, to research a doctrine, or to appoint officers. The supply system wasn't a huge factor this time, the only big point was that if you are under logistical strikes you cannot use motorization on your supply depots because all your trucks will quickly get blown up.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.