Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearts of Iron IV - The Ultimate WWII Strategy Game

flyingjohn

Arcane
From snipers in ww2 to drone operators today, women in war seem to be only good at killing unaware men from a save place far away from the battlefield.
The biggest killer in ww1 was artillery.Men shelling other unaware men from a distance.

shywn

Savant
Now they released patchnotes. Let's scroll down to my favourite section.

##################################
# Stability & Performance
##################################

- random CTD fix in volunteer GUI
- improved performance of national focus gui when there are focuses with many prerequisites or expensive allowed triggers
- refactored scripted ai_strategies to be less performance-intensive
- optimized triggers for Spanish "Ignite Anarchist Uprising" decision
- Fixed CTD when going to menu after console cmd reloadtechnologies
- Fixed CTD caused by the transfer of ships currently being refitted from one country to another, e.g. at the start of a civil war. Refitting is now always cancelled when ownership is transferred.
- Fixed an Out-of-Sync error when a country capitulates with collaboration then the player goes back to menu and joins a fresh new game
- Fixed a CTD when a decision expires with the decision UI opened and frame smoothing is enabled
- Fixed CTD resulting from a refitting ship being transferred to the revolter at the start of a civil war.
- Fixed a convoy-related OOS that could happen when not playing from a fresh application start.

Literally one fix that might have a real effect on game speed. Sigh.

EDIT: I just realised it's the same fix that was included in 1.10.6 already, released five months ago. (A lot of the patchnotes are duplicate from 1.10.6.) More sighs.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Played Red Flood a bit, and ... eh.

I really like the idea of it and if it was properly implemented I could see it being quite fun, but for the moment it's just way too buggy, unbalanced and unfinished.
Accelerationism just doesn't stand a chance unless you are a major faction.

Tried to play as accelerationist Pharaoh Finland (yes, really :lol:) four times and it's just pointless to even try.
The event that should make you join the French faction just bugs out in 50% of cases (or it is actually RNG-based, which makes it even worse, something like that shouldn't be RNG-based).
The event that makes you invade British Egypt (yes, as Finland, really :lol:) spawns 5 divisions - two of which in Finland with no way to get to Egypt in time, three of which in Egypt with no hopes of surviving the first month. Of course, that also puts you at war with Brits + Allies. As lonely Finland or Finland + helpless allies.
Funny, but totally pointless endeavor.

There are also dozens of things that have no image/description/effect (like some mil. advisors).

No matter if you join France or not, it will first make peace with Italy, losing some territory and then get completely crushed by Germany in less than a year. Every single time without fail. It's like France has all its troops on exercise and Germany just rolls over it (while it was France that declared war...).

Maybe something to check out after another year in the oven.

thesecret1

Arcane
Why would you play this trash when Darkest Hour is so much better?

What makes it better? No troll, curious.
Events and decisions react to the way you play (and to historical events, if applicable) rather than some retarded timer that HoI4 has, it attempts to portray history rather than some retarded meme shit, you get a great degree of control over your forces rather than just assigning them to a front and having the AI take care of it (I mean, seriously? AI controlling all the forces... in a fucking WARGAME? Yes, I know you can still manually control them if you want to, but you lose out on the general bonuses because the game clearly WANTS you to let the AI control the war part. Ludicrous), and the AI isn't half bad – it's no genius, but it provides good challenge, and is fully capable of beating you if you make a mistake (lilke waiting with declaring war on USSR – have fun getting buried under endless Soviet forces). It is a an all around solid game with a good modding community that let's you play out an actual WW2 scenario that reacts to the shit you do, not some reddit-tier meme game about ressurrecting the HRE or similar shit while abstracting away basically everything

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, I dislike HoI2 because:
  • It's not a simulation. They created aircraft in a way to ensure 2 tiers up would always beat theirs opponents.
  • You can break events easily.
  • You have brutal delays between creating and deploying army. Even when original infrastructure and training fields must be available because deployed division had to train somewhere, the game uses delay as if they are making training field from scratch.
  • Rocketry.
  • They don't simulate actual tank losses, and loses in artillery.
  • Sub warfare is badly simulated.
  • Carriers and theirs fighters are not separated.
  • You can't spend 100 of currency and create a new general with level 0 skills that would improve.
  • Crashing.
  • Save file corruption.
  • War in China.
  • Lack of actual detailed terrain.
  • Weather isn't simulated. (and it's not even pre-recorded historical)
  • +- percentage bonuses because they used ad hoc stuff instead of simulating it.
HoI4 solved some of these problems, for example you can get bogged down on the river, paratroops are useful, and carriers had chance to act as carriers before Paradox decided to remove ship combat range from combat, thus carriers can be hit by DDT torpedo at 150 km range.

HoI4 focus trees solved A LOT of HoI3 problems and allowed a versatility, so it's no longer Germany attacks Russia and gets destroyed like clock work. It's sometimes Fascist UK declares war at Nazi Germany.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
A huge change in the new supply system is that supply is no longer calculated per state but per province. So it's much harder to concentrate troops now, for example in bottlenecks.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
I don't know if this is supposed to happen but I just had AI Stalin completely ignore the plot and not even bother purging.
I think it might be broken.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I really like the new supply because of the increased immersion and strategic options. For example, as Soviet Union you have two supply depots connecting the capital and the Caucasus. One in Rostov and one in Stalingrad. So if you get pushed back and lose the depot in Stalingrad you are utterly fucked on that front, and there are no depots east of Stalingrad so you would have major problems defending there.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Is it just me, or is new system of doctrines simplified into: You have military XP, thus you can click, click, click and you have instant three steps of a doctrine. Effects are instant, and as long as you have mil XP, you can do spending.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Is it just me, or is new system of doctrines simplified into: You have military XP, thus you can click, click, click and you have instant three steps of a doctrine. Effects are instant, and as long as you have mil XP, you can do spending.

One could argue this is literally what military experience is... learning how to fight.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Actually it kinda reminds me early version of Imperator Rome. You have money... so click buttons and have stuff.
Time to train these soldiers into new doctrine, that doesn't exist. Do you need defensive doctrine? Click and you have it. Do you need offensive doctrine after few years of fighting Germany until they bled out? Click and you have it. Why spend years of effort, why spend months of training, Paradox new leadership gives you free doctrine change at mere cost of 400 military XP.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Actually it kinda reminds me early version of Imperator Rome. You have money... so click buttons and have stuff.
Time to train these soldiers into new doctrine, that doesn't exist. Do you need defensive doctrine? Click and you have it. Do you need offensive doctrine after few years of fighting Germany until they bled out? Click and you have it. Why spend years of effort, why spend months of training, Paradox new leadership gives you free doctrine change at mere cost of 400 military XP.

Your soldiers learned the doctrine gaining XP for you - exercising, fighting etc.

Anyway thats semantics and I dislike instant doctrines too.

Tyrr

Liturgist
XP is just the good old Paradox mana.
You collect mana, press a button and stuff happens.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom