Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Helherron - a very addictive Nahlakh-like game

Nimja1

Novice
Holy Necro batman! I can't seem to get helherron to run on Ubuntu 14.04 and i've tried many times to get the libstdc++5, even finding one on the software center and still nothing.

I find myself to be fairly proficient (im the go to guy for computer help) on the windows, only to be utterly lost on ubuntu. If anyone could help that would be awesome!

overtenemy

Augur
Antti

What's the deal my negro?

If that doesn't link/alert Antti someone feel free to do so in my stead. I don't post very much and have no idea how to work this voodoo.

It werks on linux. Quickly rolled a group and got them killed at some bandits.

And it looks quite good. Haven't tried this before ackshually. Will ahve to change that.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I wonder if the old bugs are fixed, those mentioned on page 4, like reaching Tikku's cae, monster horde crash, getting to the final level

akuukka

Educated

akuukka

Educated
Apart from a few new character icons, NPCs and monsters (forest spirit, caco daemon), no. My GF is helping with the graphics and doing pretty good job, check out the new elder in the first village.

Spell particle effects also look much better now

TigerKnee

Arcane
Whoa, this game is still in active development?

Maybe it'll motivate it to finally give it a real go

Display bug: when you go to skill screen (z) and cycle through characters, the character icon in the top left doesn't update. (Also z key is not listed under main keyboard commands in the help section.)

SkeleTony

Augur
Man...this is weird. I have so adamantly refused to 'upgrade' from Windows XP as my OS because games like Helherron (2.04 and earlier) did not run on modern Windows and now I may be forced to upgrade to crappy modern Windows OS to play Helherron.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Man...this is weird. I have so adamantly refused to 'upgrade' from Windows XP as my OS because games like Helherron (2.04 and earlier) did not run on modern Windows and now I may be forced to upgrade to crappy modern Windows OS to play Helherron.

Ah, the joys of upgrading Windows...I used to have the old Amiga game Evil's Doom (newly made Windows installer with emulator included) up and running. Some months later when I was ready to actually play the game, and some Win 7 upgrades laters, the game no longer worked thanks to one of those damned Windows "upgrades". :argh:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I'm tempted, but you know, what I'm saying is if they were open people could potentially create tilesets for the game like for roguelikes...

TigerKnee

Arcane
Didn't he release a 32-bit version? Shouldn't that version work?

mercyRPG

Cipher
Thank You Antti! My heart missed a beat, when I misread your announcement as Helherron 2. :)

I wonder if the old bugs are fixed, those mentioned on page 4, like reaching Tikku's cae, monster horde crash, getting to the final level
You needed to run linux for reliable, bug-less version. As many people described on the 1st pages of this thread.

Would you consider opening access to the graphics so they can be edited?

SkeleTony had a really nice Graphics Update Pack downloadable about 6 years ago. Maybe he can upload that somewhere. The older Helherron 1 was therefore graphically moddable.

Last edited:

mercyRPG

Cipher
Antti, would you please consider giving us the option to change font color to a Human Readable Color like this? Thank You!

3YNnb7b.jpg

Last edited:

mercyRPG

Cipher
Would you con sider opening access to the graphics so they can be edited?

v2. 04 HELHERRON GRAPHICS MOD INSTRUCTIONS (c) SkeleTony

If you created graphics as per SkeleTony's instructions and they are just as good as the icon pack below, just send it to Antti or wait for his feedback, because Antti updated the graphics DAT format, its no longer PCX!:

ji3JpG5.jpg

This is the icon pack SkeleTony created for Helherron.

((IIRC there were more of these amazing creations 6 yrs ago.))

Last edited:

akuukka

Educated
Mercyrpg, I like your text color suggestion. Looks so much better than the red text. Lets make it customizable in the future!

SkeleTony, looks like your icon pack has lots of stuff that never made it to 2.04. Maybe we should add those to the next version?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom