Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hellgate London private server up

Sykar

Arcane
Seems like there is a hardcore fanbase that wants to keep the old release version alive, dissatisfied with the previous Global version and the current single player Steam version which has pretty bad ratings overall.

For anyone interested:
https://london2038.com/

Personally I never played since it came out when I was deeply involved in WoW but I did occasionally take a glance at it.

ADL

Prophet
So, the game any good?
It was on the verge of being good but a lot of the systems were half-baked and needed another six months. I've always said that Hellgate was a victim of being too early to the pseudo-MMO party for their own good. Didn't help that it was a PC exclusive right around the time Vista launched and PC gaming was in a really weird place. Have a feeling that if the game released a couple years later and didn't release as a buy2play with super fucked up and confusing monetization it could've competed directly with games like Path of Exile and Warframe in 2012-2013 and done really well.

Back then Hellgate's $7-$8 million budget being proposed as a free2play game would've been laughed out of the room but a couple years later that would be considered really cheap especially since outside of the lobbies it was all peer2peer GW1-style and the tilesets were all procgen. They could've released on consoles instead of just PC when patching wasn't such a nightmare and it could've survived long enough to get past the shoddy launch where we might even be playing the continuously updated live version today.

Check this video out, it covers everything including how they had to wipe all progression to get launch day issues fixed in Asia.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I've been playing on this server for ages. This is not a new thing. It's been out for at least 2 years.
Yep, old news. I was fucking around with this and the solo play revival mod/launcher. Both worked well enough. I also have the steam version with the tokyo add on shit but after the reviews on framerate and error... i said NO. I really wanted to try out the tokyo shit as i was a fan of the game. In 2019/20 I even found a new physical copy to install just to try online. Then I got sidetracked with the stupid disease/election shit going on. Game could have been greater so its a pity.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom