Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Hellpoint - Dark Souls + Dead Space

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hellpoint/hellpoint-a-dark-sci-fi-rpg

https://www.playhellpoint.com

https://af.gog.com/game/hellpoint?as=1649904300

Hellpoint is a dark sci fi action RPG set in the aftermath of a massive quantum cataclysm called the Merge. For the blink of a second, every living being quickly lost their mind as their memories and bodies were merged with alternate versions of themselves from parallel universes. The accident also attracted entities of immense power that should have been left alone, in the depth of other dimensions.

You play as a mysterious nameless character whose intentions are entirely determined by your choices. You wake up in the derelict Irid Novo space station, in orbit around a super-massive black hole.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
That looks more like a space total conversion/reskin for DS tbh. Even some of the enemies look like the asylum zombies, move very similary(?) etc, same-ish looking healthbar above their heads...
Pretty weird. If someone showed me this without context I'd think reskin or stolen engine/partially stolen assets or something.

Mikeal

Arcane
swords and shields in space

:roll:

What's wrong with that?

duneKyle-MacLachlan-and-Sting-001.jpg

Notice: A controller is strongly recommended to play Hellpoint

About This Game

Hellpoint is a dark sci fi action RPG set in the aftermath of a massive quantum cataclysm. Every living being quickly lost their mind as their memories and bodies were merged with alternate versions of themselves from parallel universes. The accident also attracted entities of immense power that should have been left alone, in the depth of other dimensions.

You play as a mysterious nameless character whose intentions are entirely determined by your choices. You wake up in the derelict Irid Novo space station, in orbit around a super-massive black hole.

intro.jpg

In the game, the space station orbits in real time around the ominous black hole. Its position in the sky directly impacts the sanity of the inhabitants of the station. The singularity is doing more than simply distorting the fabric of space and time; based on the time of the orbit, enemies in the levels get crazier or struck by fear, unknown entities roam the corridors and dozens of other mysterious events can occur.

orbit.jpg

Hellpoint is based on a peculiar structure called the Quantic System. It is a series of interconnected systems that are utilizing a server clock to decide when and where a particular dynamic event should occur. You can see a preview of that system in our demo linked below. You venture in a corridor that you previously walked through, and suddenly a new passage is opened. A tall menacing mini-boss is now patrolling where there was no one before. Enemies cower in fear as you approach them, or charge you in a fit of rage. A boss suddenly grows tougher and more aggressive, but also drops more valuable loot. It is up to you to figure out what events happen where and when so that you can exploit them to your advantage.

In Hellpoint, the Black Hole is truly the master of the dungeon.

Sep.png

Irid Novo was once a shining beacon of intergalactic collaboration, built to research advanced artificial intelligence and quantum mechanics. Now, it is a dark and dangerous place dominated by the will of the cosmic gods. It is best to explore Irid Novo with the help of a friend.

coop.jpg

Hellpoint supports splitscreen co-op and player versus player on all platforms. You can play the whole game with a friend, or have him jump up in and out anytime he likes. The loot is shared, and the experience of player two is saved and not watered down. In our youth, we've had countless nights of couch gaming fun, playing with friends and siblings until the sun rose. With Hellpoint, we want to bring back couch gaming into a genre that we think cruelly lacks it.

Sep.png

For centuries, the galaxy has been at peace. With the discovery of interstellar travel and the access to infinite resources that ensued, brutal wars are now a thing of the past. To survive the wrath of cosmic gods and hordes of monsters, you will have to find ancient blueprints and craft long forgotten weapons and armors and acquire forbidden powers. You play the way you want, will it be a sword and a shield, or a firearm and your mastery over the cosmic energies?

GameplayT.jpg

Hellpoint allows you to play the way you want. Using our crafting and customization system, you can adjust your weapons and powers according to your own play style. Do you prefer your healing power to heal more over time or instantaneously? Go edit your power in one of the crafting station, and make it work the way you like. Would you prefer your energy missiles to explode on impact, or to ricochet off enemies? The choice is yours to modify them as you see fit.

The more you fight with a weapon, the more proficient you become with it and eventually you unlock powerful abilities. This can go from an extra long range combo attack to a shattering explosion that sends enemies flying.

Sep.png

A terrible quantum cataclysm happened on board Irid Novo and is spreading to the whole multiverse. Piercing the very fabric of space to reach parallel universes is not something mortals should be allowed to play with. However, those breaches into other universes could very well be the key for you to make things right...

Every time you start a new game, the station is different. Rooms, enemies, puzzles, events, all are parts of the multiverse. This means that while our level design is carefully hand crafted, no two games are exactly the same. The game stay fresh as you never know what to except around the corner. As you die, you are pulled away from your universe of origin, and you wake up into the next. The more you die, the more the world changes around you.

Screenshots.png

ss_698998524ad35188bb7a84da93e6e135f3f7cf49.1920x1080.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Diggfinger

Arcane
Looks pretty cool, actually!
Wonder if it's an indie developer? Some of the animations looks abit wonky, which can obviously be a problem if combat's as brutal as Dark Souls.

But yeah, looks like a cool setting for souls clone...(of course, guess there's a super bad-ass lore reason why you cant just buy big guns and blast the bastards).

Introducing Hellpoint, a dark augurist action RPG for PC and consoles, brought to you by Canadian developer Cradle Games. Embark on a soul conjuring journey aboard a derelict space station and figure out the twisted series of events that led to an occult quantum catastrophe. Hunt, or be hunted by insane mobs, decadent daemons, and deep space monsters, all under the constant watch of the black hole.

A NEW OCCULT SCI-FI UNIVERSE

Explore the enigmatic Irid Novo space colony and piece up hints to unravel stories of conspiracies, strange experiments, and cursed rituals.

A REVOLUTIONARY WORLD

The Quantic system based on the station 21 hours' orbit cycles creates a variety of dynamic events which can be sought and raided to discover new depth to the story.

INTENSE STRATEGIC ACTION COMBAT

Craft weapons and special skills, use tactic and reflexes to outwit your enemies, learn to avoid death lurking around every corner.

HAVE FAITH IN OTHERS

Venture alone, with or against others in multiplayers, and dedicate your character to a Cult.

OTHER FEATURES :
  • Surprise your opponent by forging your very own supernatural skill using our revolutionary power crafting system
  • Find your own balance of risks and rewards by performing strange rituals that affects the power and resilience of the enemies
  • Plan and commit to your own network of quantic fast travel checkpoints but think carefully as quantity is limited per playthrough
  • The path you take inside the open-world level design determines which enemies take control of various parts of the station, or which cosmic gods will accept to challenge you
  • A special take on the new game plus design leaves you wondering if you truly discovered the real secret of Hellpoint

http://www.cradlegames.com/index.php/hellpoint

jean-michel-theriault-promo-baseplayer.jpg

ScreenShot11.jpg

ScreenShot12.jpg

Mikeal

Arcane
I thought this project died. Cool to see that I was wrong. Hope they'll deliver good shit :D

But yeah, looks like a cool setting for souls clone...(of course, guess there's a super bad-ass lore reason why you cant just buy big guns and blast the bastards).

People in future aren't peasants and they recognize supremacy of the blade. :obviously:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/628680/Hellpoint_Demo/

Reviews: Very Positive

I've only played Hellpoint for a very brief amount of time, but from what I've seen, it's one of the best projects I've seen for a long time.

What is it like? It feels a bit like Dark Souls or Bloodborne, except the setting is a fantasy-like sci-fi space station. Though this is obviously a very early build of the game, what is there looks alright, and with some polish, could become something truly amazing.

In terms of pros and cons;

Pros:

-Great style of design, feeling very sci-fi, but also fantasy-like enough to have magical abilities.

-Fluid, fun gameplay. Though the animations transition slightly choppily right now, most animations look great, and the controls are relatively responsive and you can pull off your Dark Souls style dodging right under the enemy's strike with a perfectly timed roll, and counter back with your own flashy weapon.

-Dark, spooky atmosphere; Even though I have virtually no idea what's going on in the demo, the darkness of the station, the unnatural enemies, the faint background sounds, everything feels deliciously dark, in a similar manner to the feeling I got from Bloodborne, but with a sci-fi vibe that makes it feel unique.

-Unique and fun equipment. From the 3 starter classes in the demo, you get a good variety of equipment to try out, and learn the way weapons become stronger and gain new abilities. I was promptly given some kind of staff-polearm-sla♥♥♥♥hing, which allowed me slow but fluid and long range strikes, and went on to gain abilities such as extending glowing yellow energy blades on the end, covering myself in a shield, and creating a huge, yellow explosion. I had a blast learning what each weapon's abilities were, and it made each one feel fun and unique to use, and rewarding to stick with.

-Literally Splitscreen gameplay. This is something we don't see a ton of in a lot of games today. Whereas Dark Souls has an unorthodox style of multiplayer, in Hellpoint, you can literally play split screen with a friend. Though in the demo there are issues with this, such as my second player losing progress if they left and rejoined, the idea of having another player to trek through the darkness with is absolutely awesome. And it isn't even just co-op, the second player can spawn in as an enemy to fight against the first player if you get tired of jolly cooperation. Though the feature needs a little work to keep both players progress, it's an awesome starting point.

-This game is basically space Dark Souls, with an awesome blend of sci-fi and fantasy. If you liked SoulsBourne at all, you should definitely take a look.

Now, there are a few cons, but these are more just things that the developers will fix eventually (Hopefully, all the best to them). Basically, these are just here due to the earliness of the demo, and these are more just feedback.

-Slightly glitchy in this stage. Obviously there will be glitches in a pre-alpha demo, but they were funny nonetheless. I managed to fall into a pit that I was never able to escape from, until my partner quit and rejoined as an enemy and dropped down to kill me. I also found myself unable to use the pause menu for a while in one life, which was vaguely agitating, but understandable.

-Slight visual polish required. Most of the game looks okay, but some things could work with a bit of a touch up. For example, the transitions between some animations could look smoother, and I felt like in some places I had a shadow and in others I didn't. Other than that, just visual polish would be nice, though many elements already look good.

-When the second player quits and rejoins, their progress is lost seemingly. Though I imagine this could very easily be addressed at a later date.

Overall, I am incredibly happy to have found and experienced Hellpoint so far. It feels enough like a SoulsBourne game to tickle the fancy of those fans, but it also has enough of a unique feeling to it to stand out. It has a kickstarter page going at the time of this review, and I'm incredibly sad to say it isn't looking like it'll reach it's goal. If you like sci-fi, if you like Souls, if you like action RPGs, you owe it to yourself to try this out. I can see this game becoming truly amazing in the future if it gets the polish and work it deserves.

bataille

Arcane
Occultism is space sounds great; don't know if a game of this style could utilise the coolness, though. I'll just hope it's gonna have some goethia demons and kabbalah stuff.

It's going to be 'lovecraftian', isn't it? lmao.

Big Wrangle

The game reminds of those old pulpy sci-fi covers, don't see much spook in here.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Not enough horror, too much Dark Souls, needs an unique identity.

Pass.

Last edited:
Hellpoint Update #10: BETA UPDATE

155664d780fa3b38d9065cad85691adb_original.PNG

e967ab2e4f09c7cd0a18dc2456f826c6_original.png

Hey fellow Hell Spawns!

How have you all been? We’re long due to pop our head out of the Cradle factory to give you the latest news. The more the production is in full swing, the faster time flies by! Just like relativity as you approach a black hole when you think about it. So, apologies if we’ve been desired. Here’s your latest debrief on the past 3 development sprints that breezed by since our last meeting, but first, the biggest news!

Cradle Games and tinyBuild unite to melt faces!

ba2de2a11426ec89887dd5b0945c2e23_original.jpg

Cradle has partnered with badass indie publisher tinyBuild
to ship the Hellpoint project worldwide! The talented folks from Seattle and the Netherlands have been helping and supporting the project for several months now and are contributing to make Hellpoint a real blockbuster. Well at least that’s what we’re all praying for, right? What it means concretely is more QA and marketing support, help with porting the game on various platforms, localization, etc. We’ve raised many glasses in honor of this new collaboration and will raise many more still! Proost! It’s a pretty big deal for us considering the long road it’s been to get here, and I want to give the most heartfelt gratitude to our amazingly talented and dedicated team, all the support we had from people around us who believes in the project and of course all of you for proving the point that a good hardcore RPG will always find an audience. tinyBuild are as focused on fan service as we are, allowing us to just keep doing things like we’ve been doing; building games with the gamers for maximum epicness.

Beta status

As you know we were hoping to be able to deliver the Hellpoint beta in September but with all that happened lately this has proven to be impossible. Part of us was like, let’s consider this an “early access” and release anyway, another part is thinking well let’s deliver a minimally immersive experience closer to the final game so we can work on more valuable feedbacks instead of known issues. We’re having another meeting this week and if everything is good, the Beta should release this Friday – October 26th. So check your inbox for your Steam Beta key coming soon!

New Release Date

Yeah! For a lot of good reasons, we agreed with tinyBuild to push the game release date back to July 2019. We’re glad that we actually have the means to make that call since this should allow us to release on all platforms simultaneously and also July is a way better month than March to release an indie game. Whatever happens, by the end of October we’ll be done, DONE! with all the features that we needed to create. After that, polish, polish, polish. That’s the state of things. We’re hard at work to assure a good walkthrough for the next update. When the beta is ready, all registered Beta backers will receive a Steam Key to download it. We’ll do everything we can to put that beta in your hands as soon as possible, it shouldn't take more than a few days now!

Online Multiplayer! :-O

After several serious discussion and many many careful considerations on a topic that’s been considered ever since the beginning of the project, we can now confirm that Hellpoint will support online multiplayer on all platforms! That’s right folks, you’ll be able to play together no matter the distance. The system uses with your typical friend list and is designed to work as seamlessly as possible. Details are still being worked out, but after that, that’s it! No more feature! It’s more than enough, we’ll put the rest of the stuff in our next game. :D

PAX West

Our first event with tinyBuild was to fly all the way to the west coast for the Seattle Pax West event, which was awesome! Seattle is a strange city, it was fitting to present our strange game there. It was a massive road test to see if the new shiny demo held up satisfyingly. And boy, it did! Split screen once more appeared to be the most attracting feature. Let’s hope for a split screen trend in the future! Hola in the comments if you were there!

It was an honor to share the bright orange floor with other great titles from the tinyBuild family such as Party Hard, Street of Rogue, Undungeon, Hello Neighbour and C&H Rapture’s Reject and so much more. Quite the lineup!

Content, content, content

So now how about talk about the game?

• New boss: We started animating the third big boss of the game, which I believe is by far our most bizarre creature yet. We’re about halfway through our “big bosses” roster!
  • New enemies: We’ve added new enemies and are creating 2 more then we should be done with the enemy roster. We’ll be around 15 enemy types in the end, with numerous variants, not counting all the Invaders. Not bad at all!
  • Punchy punches: You can now attack while unarmed.
  • Special “two-hands” attacks: If you got no off-hand equipped, you can use that input (Left Bumper) to trigger a special attack with every weapon. It also adds extra combos’ finisher that can utilize both hands.
  • Complete UI: We’ve finally revamped all the UI of the game. No more programmer art! It’s all quite new so let us know if there are bugs
  • Level art: Almost half of the team is now dedicated to level art since we really want to complete that big game world. I have only one map left to complete in level design (it’s about halfway there), the rest is done and level artists are dressing all of them up. After that I’ll be concentrating on narration, balancing and quest system.
  • Crafting system: It’s in! You’ll now find crafting materials and blueprints as well as Tech and Occult crafting stations. Try it out and let’s tweak it together via Discord.
0040969d574b2260791b8cf2850c6c27_original.png

• Gun revamp: After multiple internal discussions we’ve chosen to push the “spell editor” feature into one of the main features of our next IP. I’m sure you understand our “less is more” developer mentality, the feature didn’t appear very popular anyway. We’re testing a new “ammunition” system for the guns and spells. Grenade and mines time!
  • Narration system: We’ve integrated the first iteration of our narration system. You’ll receive more and more cryptic messages from beyond, there will be a few animated cut-scenes for the most important moments in the game.
  • Mystery features and enemies: We’ve added a particularly bizarre world feature and terrifying enemies to go with it, but we can’t spoil it. You’ll have to discover it on your own.
  • A metric ton of improvements, details and love.
Current focus:

• Making a fun beta! - Integrate narration and quest system
  • Finish level design of the last map
  • Complete the support cube feature and Underworld features
  • Update all boss fights with our new boss fight manager (different loot at black hour, etc.)
  • Level art, level art, level art.
  • Animate the third boss fight
  • Animate the new enemy, finish modeling of the last one
  • Complete weapon variants
  • Finish all the icons for the crafting system
So that about covers most of it! Damn, a lot is happening fast. We're begining to see the shiny deadline at the horizon and the subsequent trip to Cuba that we'll have once we're done. :D Don't hesitate if you have any question, don't forget you can always come chat with us on Discord.me/hellpoint and we'll be seeing you soon!

SKAL!

Gropwel

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hellpoint/hellpoint-a-dark-sci-fi-rpg/posts/2324936

Sacibengala

Prophet
The creature design is really bad. It reminds me more of that cartoon BS from darksiders than anything else. And the only fear I had with that is that I never played because it was bland as F*

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom