Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Help finding indie space game

agris

Arcane
Patron
I found a link to this game’s page (not steam or gog, it was the dev’s own page or maybe an itch.io) in another space or indie game thread here at the codex.

The game is 2D, has pixel art, a mix of CYOA type scenes and Star Trader’s style planet screens with a great original blade runner art style. I don’t remember what type of ship combat it had.

Game was made in last 10 years, and the devs may have had a MIT subdomain. Nice midi music on the game’s landing page.

Anyone?

Edit: also, planet-side interactions were framed in a WL1-style / late 80s viewport with a list of options to the right GUI. Game was not very old though.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Could it be some version of Smugglers V?

No, it quite literally looked like a late 80s or early 90s space game except the color depth and mechanics reflected more modern sensibilities.

I think it was only sold through the dev’s website or itch.io at the most, which makes it a lot harder to track down. It had a great cyberpunk / blade runner vibe for a space game tho.

I ASK INANE QUESTIONS

ITZ NEVER STOPS COOOMING
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Black Market?
957046359.jpg

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Well, it's a small game, don't expect more than a couple of hours of fun but it's 100% free now so there's no reason being particularly harsh about it. Also there are more than one situation which make the game crash (I'm not even sure if I've completed the game or not since it crashes where I may or may not have reached the end) but it's likely just a few bugs than were never reported and I'm going to take the time to report some possible bugs myself.

You begin by choosing a background, which determines your starting trait(s) which influence the stat checks (you'll gain more traits during the game) and a main objective which at least in my case since I tried only one determined a series of mandatory missions.

The game consists in a series of CYOA style missions taking place on one of the 7 inhabited stars among a star system. The next mission is always either a mandatory main quest one or can be picked between several optional ones. If you fail during a mandatory mission then you'll get to try it again and you need to succeed at some optional ones to unlock the next mandatory one. Between two missions you can benefit from of the services offered in the different planets, granted your influence over the planet is high enough that the service is available (there's no money in the game, you just can't visit more than one service between two missions), to try and influence various numbers. You can also do criminal stuff like trying to rob from a shop. You may also have the opportunity to take a side in a conflict between two planets. There's no combat by the way.

I don't know how everything exactly works, but your choices during missions may have some character's stats (Hacking, Negociating, Deceiving, ...) checked, and those stats can be increased by the equipment and increased or decreased by the traits. Other involved numbers include the character's influence over the various planets which may unlock an additionnal safe option during a mission, the character's relationship with the planet, the character's relationship with the megacorps, the influence of the megacorps over each planet and the character's relationship with some direct people. You also get some luck points you can use to get 100% chances to pass a check.

There are really not a lot of different types of missions and the game is not much more than a simple CYOA but I'd say it could be fun for one playthrough (which would take about 2 hours I guess) if it were not for the bugs, in current state I'm not sure I'd recommend it but if they get corrected then why not.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Neat, I’m trying it.

The music is mixed in 5.1 and it works natively too, not just a stereo matrix thing. Bonus.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom