Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Help me find 2 old RPG-s please!

Outmind

Augur
Since I've been unable to find a thread where people ask about rpg-s they've played but can't remember their names (if i wasn't looking hard enough, I'm sorry, if not - why isn't there a thread like that out there?) i've decided to inquire in a separate thread. Let's get to it then:

1. - this was an rpg that came out around '97 - '99. It was kind of strange actually - you practically played it inside its own editor - it ran as any other rpg, but you could add in npc-s, objects and the like at will, modifying their stats etc. Apart from this i remember that there were about 8 classes: 4 spell casters - air, earth and fire mages, and something called a mentor, who used spirit i believe, and their melee counterparts - i don't remember the fire and air (or was that water? It doesn't matter) ones, but the earth one was a knight, and the "spirit" one was a bard. Another "feature" of the game was that you had to solve riddles to be able to enter some locked doors (kinda like the chests in betrayal at Krondor, but without the locks). Other than that the game wasn't all that memorable, but i'd really like to try it out once more.

2. - the second game was a MUD, and is probably discontinued by now, but if nothing else i'd like to find out more about it. I've never "played" the game since back when i first had it i didn't have an internet connection. It struck me as potentially cool since you could only be evil or monstrous in some form or another. It kinda had a WoD feel to it, except that, apart from being able to play as a vamp / warewolf / dark mage, you could play as a zombie or a skeleton. The only other thing i remember about it was that it was featured as a freebie on the cd version of either redneck rampage, or redneck rampage rides again.

There you have it folks.I know that the info provided is vague at best, but any help would be much appreciated.

zeitgeist

Magister
Outmind said:
2. - the second game was a MUD, and is probably discontinued by now, but if nothing else i'd like to find out more about it. I've never "played" the game since back when i first had it i didn't have an internet connection. It struck me as potentially cool since you could only be evil or monstrous in some form or another. It kinda had a WoD feel to it, except that, apart from being able to play as a vamp / warewolf / dark mage, you could play as a zombie or a skeleton. The only other thing i remember about it was that it was featured as a freebie on the cd version of either redneck rampage, or redneck rampage rides again.
Darkness Falls?

Outmind

Augur
YES ZEITGEIST! I believe it was indeed darkness falls. Too bad it was shut down before i had a chance to try it out. Thank you very, very much!

As for the first game, it wasn't unlimited adventures. The game was windows based, and you played it in a window which had tabs you could use to customize stuff. Here's another detail i remember - you learned spells by buying spell gems. The knight, who was the melee variant of the earth class, had a spell called "brambles" at the beginning, and an improved version called "branches" later on. I also recall that the first enemies you fought were some pink, goblin-like thingies...

wex

Novice
Outmind said:
1. - this was an rpg that came out around '97 - '99. It was kind of strange actually - you practically played it inside its own editor - it ran as any other rpg, but you could add in npc-s, objects and the like at will, modifying their stats etc. Apart from this i remember that there were about 8 classes: 4 spell casters - air, earth and fire mages, and something called a mentor, who used spirit i believe, and their melee counterparts - i don't remember the fire and air (or was that water? It doesn't matter) ones, but the earth one was a knight, and the "spirit" one was a bard. Another "feature" of the game was that you had to solve riddles to be able to enter some locked doors (kinda like the chests in betrayal at Krondor, but without the locks). Other than that the game wasn't all that memorable, but i'd really like to try it out once more.
That's Shattered Light. Mentor's counterpart is not a bard, it's a reaver, which is probably the reason why you weren't able to google it.

Outmind

Augur
OMFG, that's it! I've been looking for this game for 10+ years now. Thank you so much!

Luzur

Good Sir
wex said:
Outmind said:
That's Shattered Light. Mentor's counterpart is not a bard, it's a reaver, which is probably the reason why you weren't able to google it.

oh yeah, i have that on CD somewhere in the piles.

wasnt that the game where towns where destroyed after awhile if you didnt fight the demons or something?

mondblut

Arcane
Luzur said:
wasnt that the game where towns where destroyed after awhile if you didnt fight the demons or something?

That's Exile 3.

I tried to play Shattered Light a couple of times, but never advanced past the starting town. Too bland, and too sluggish.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom