Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Help me find a GOOD tactical rpg please.

made

Arcane
Langrisser clones > Fire Emblem clones imo. Since commanders get a handful of units it opens up more tactical options instead of the 1-shot/reload fest of FE. Char customization is equally meager, however, limited to arms/armor and class choices every few lvls. There's C&C and romance! tho in the latter titles of the series. Shining Force (Sega) and Death Or Glory (Amiga) fall into that category. There's also a spiritual successor named Growlanser but I haven't played that.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Also, is Eternal Poison really that good? I only heard bad thing about it...
Well it had:
xxx? I thought you are dead.

After that it was obvious it would be great game, or at least story.

1: I met baron, he said I can trust you completely.
2: And what did you said to him?
1: I said to him, I'm trusting you completely.
2: (sideways?) I should bite his neck off.
3: About what are you two talking about? (completely dazed)

Makai kindoms was nice as well.

Karmapowered

Augur
How can a list about T/SRPGs be half-serious if it pretends to include PC games and not mention Jagged Alliance 1/2 somewhere ?

How about Langrisser on SNES/PSX ?

"Final Fantasy Tactics" and "Tactics:Ogre" are supposed to be "too easy" to get the "honor" to figure on the list, but Valkyria Chronicles is fine ?

Also "Panzer General" is a RPG now ?

Wow, the list is a complete mess, if it means to be anything but a very subjective backlog of games to play.

Half an hour on Wikipedia would probably yield better results.

Karmapowered

Augur
Langrisser clones > Fire Emblem clones imo.

Much agreed.

There's also a spiritual successor named Growlanser but I haven't played that.

I've only played the English versions avalaible to me :

- G2 - Sense of Justice
- G3 - Dual Darkness

I also had intended to give G5 - Heritage of War a try, but the poor gameplay, graphics, character development, and above all, camera management, of the first two, supposed to be superior, drove me crazy before I could do that, and maybe find any redeeming qualities to the serie(s).

My advice would be to skip Growlanser, and stick to Langrisser, if you wish to keep your sanity.

PS : It seems that world-wide, Growlanser has been successful only in the Kwa', because of the dating simulator bits.
In Japan, it is clear that the game didn't get the same enthusiastic reception than its prequel (Langrisser).

deuxhero

Arcane
Oh and if you are bummed about the limited customization in Fire Emblem, that's changed in the 13th game due out in English sometime in 2013.

Also: Disgaea 1 is only published by Atlus in the US. NIS is pretty much based in grinding, though the grinding is more focused on "clever" methods of grinding than killing things over and over. I'm told Soul Nomad's story can be cleared without any non-story fights if you want to, never tired.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Are there optional fights in Soul Nomad at all? The only optional fight I remember were when you cleaned trash from a head of one character. There was a lot of dust and bugs that fought back.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Are there optional fights in Soul Nomad at all? The only optional fight I remember were when you cleaned trash for head of one character. There was a lot of dust and bugs that fought back.
Good point, I remeber not doing many sidequets, but now I don't remenber if there any at all... I can't remenber none in Makai Kingdom or Phantom Brave too...

SerratedBiz

Arcane
IIRC, you can also get beat up by a superhero-esque character if you try and steal from people.

deuxhero

Arcane
Same for trying to beat them up or steal their stats. It depends on if the victim is "defenseless" or not (in which case you just beat them up)

TyTheImmortal

Novice
How can a list about T/SRPGs be half-serious if it pretends to include PC games and not mention Jagged Alliance 1/2 somewhere ?

Because, like the topic poster, he does not like it?

He's not alone either. Here's my review: http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/197667-jagged-alliance-2/reviews/review-149531

"Final Fantasy Tactics" and "Tactics:Ogre" are supposed to be "too easy" to get the "honor" to figure on the list, but Valkyria Chronicles is fine ?

Valkyria Chronicles is a far superior game. The only turn-based tactics game to take the genre forwards this gen. thanks to its innovations in both presentation and gameplay.

Also "Panzer General" is a RPG now ?

From what I'm looking at (http://www.tbstactics.com/2010/11/recommended-turn-based-tactics-games.html) it is listed as a "turn based tactics" game, not an RPG of any kind.

Wow, the list is a complete mess, if it means to be anything but a very subjective backlog of games to play.

From the same link as before: "This is a list of tactics games I recommend"

He is simply posting up the games he personally recommends. Yes some communities are upset by certain ommissions, but I for one agree with him. For too long Japanese RPGs of all flavours have relied on repetitious, grindy gameplay with shallow tactical depth. Valkyria Chronicles (and to a slightly lesser extent its sequels) single handedly bucked that trend.

Half an hour on Wikipedia would probably yield better results.

His site is an excellent, active resource for what is a niche genre within a niche genre. He does not deserve that kind of statement.

My own personal response to this thread would also be "Valkyria Chronicles [/thread]" although I'm hoping XCOM: Enemy Unknown will top it.

(also while I'm here, shameless plug for my Valchronification yt channel. If you also love the game would be great to hear from you in the comments sections)

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012

Because, like the topic poster, he does not like it?

He's not alone either. Here's my review: http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/197667-jagged-alliance-2/reviews/review-149531

Sounds like you have severe brain damage and/or were just mortally butt wounded by the difficulty. And really, complaining about the abundance of Mercs you are allowed to pick from, then going on to complain how little "unit variety" there is; what did you want, set classes? You develop the roles of your mercs on your own, through their stats. Everything about your review is wrong. Not to mention complaining about old graphics in an old game...jesus fuck.

Back on topic: I recommend Jeanne d'Arc, for the PSP. It's in the vein of the FFT and Tactics Ogre games, but it's got it's own style, with a neat historical fiction plot. It's also got a bunch of systems that encourage coordinating your team in attacking a single target: you get bonuses for attacking enemies in tandem, then additional bonuses if you manage to kill that enemy, and so on. Once you get the hang of it you can blast through battles really quickly, it's tons of fun (kind of like the Press Turns system in SMT: Nocturne).

made

Arcane
"Warhammer 40k: Squad Commander"

That game any good? Screens look p. cool.

TyTheImmortal

Novice
Squad Commander is not bad at all. One of the big reasons I think it is better is because it is not grid-based. There's a very similar looking game on the PSN called Legends of War: Patton's Campaign. It is expensive though.

Agentorange, rather than tell you what I think of you personally after that delightful message to me (I'm sure you can guess), I will instead deal with the non-rhetorical parts of your post (which, as I say, is simply a delight):

- difficulty is one thing, but playing on normal and being shot the second you begin play is just bad implementation. my main problem with the game is just how defensive and slow it is. I literally felt my life being wasted.

- Yes, I would like proper classes. It is a far cleaner way of establishing variety than having excessive stats to adjust. The fact that Enemy Unknown will be using both an action and class based system brings joy to my heart because it means modern developers of turn-based games are thinking more along Valkyria Chronicles than crusty old JA2

- Speaking of which, some old sprite based games age better than others. I gave Metal Slug a 10 for graphics, for instance. JA2 just doesnt do it for me. Everything is so flat (literally).

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You know that there is something wrong with you review when people stop reading your shit after the 3rd line.

"Title: An old game that has aged badly"

FUUUUU!

TyTheImmortal

Novice
I dont claim to be a pro reviewer but what is so bad about that? It is grammatically correct, and makes sense: there are old games that have aged well, and others that have aged badly. Like JA2. I have seen similar sentiments expressed in the VC thread here, which doesnt surprise me. I think to enjoy dry games like JA2 you need to be a particular type of PC gamer, which I am not.

lol ok "Title:" should not have been there. I should have drafted it more tbh.

sorrowofwind

Novice
Power dolls 1 (only the first game got translated into English I think, otherwises I would recommend 2 dash). Technicall it isn't a rpg but there usually were multiple ways beating missions, the difficulity can be a little bit unfriendly.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Well that's one shallow review

"Things cost action points in turn-based, AP-based game!"
good one

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom