Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Help me find a GOOD tactical rpg please.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Suikoden Tactics? I LOVE that game <3

Repressed Homosexual
I always thought that Hoshigami Running Blue Earth had some great ideas as far as the combat system went, even though a lot of the game's design was pretty messed up and tedious.

From what I can see the PSOne version is absolutely horrible in regards to this, and the DS one somewhat improved (I played it at some point). Maybe I can get a copy of the latter for cheap.

damicore

Augur
A question to Damned Registrations and felicity

I just found out two games that seem to have interesting systems by NIS. This games being Phanrom Brave and Makai Kingdom, have you played them?
Are they any good? I'm in the mood for a good tactical jrpg with tons of customization and this games seem to have at least interesting levels and some weird mechanics, are they any fun?
I principally liked the protection system in phantom brave. You can be "protected" by certain items or confined creatures in many maps what this basically means is that your squad members can get stat boosts as long as those protectors are on the map. This makes controlling and destroying them quite important, or so it seems. Is this system any fun?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Hermano summon!

Both are great games, as you said Phantom Brave ads the ability to incarnate into itens, while Makai Kingdom have in-battle buildings and some other twists. If you liked Disgaea, there's no way to go wrong with those. Phantom Brave is a bit more girly though, if you're bothered by that, but I believe it makes better use of the mechanics, with some very challenging fights due item placement.

Soul Nomad and the World Eaters is a good title of the same kind too, very good humour also.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Haven't played phantom brave myself, though I've heard good things. Makai Kingdom was pretty damned nice imo. Lots of cool systems.

Soul Nomad I didn't care for much. Unlike other NIS titles, pretty much nothing has the ability to use special attacks on you, so the best plan is to just make one really strong unit and have it steamroll everything on the map with counter attacks. And there's not much to do in combat, the equivalent of geo blocks etc. were just some lame global rules for the map or something like that, and the story battles didn't even have them iirc. Also, no equipment is pretty lame. You can give it a try, but I'd honestly rank it below any other NIS title.

damicore

Augur
Thanks for the heads up, will try them both and see which pleases me the most, gridless scenarios are my biggest concern here though.

Also about phantom brave: anyone knows which of the versions is the best? There's ps2, psp and wii versions, all emulatable :incline:

Damned Registrations

psp version probably has additional stuff, but I've no personal experience. Other nis handheld ports have been solid though.

spekkio

Arcane
Good article about NIS games (a bit dated now):
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/nipponichi/nipponichi3.htm

Concerning Phantom Brave, I would go with Wii version (superior hardware & quality of emulation):

/v/ said:
A port of Nippon Ichi's PS2 strategy RPG, Phantom Brave. There's practically no changes to the main game other than the ability to display it in 480p, but the it does include a second campaign that picks off where the first one left off, letting you use some new characters, and also comes with a digital art disc, which has art work and sprites from the game. Worth checking out if you never played the PS2 version, as this is quite unique as far as SRPG's go.

Minor updates to loading times and a few textures are barely noticable.

But PSP version is supposed to have some exclusive shit as well:

Mobygames said:
This version has new story chapters, characters, and items as well as different graphics and a revamped UI

/v/ said:
PSP port (and definitive version) of the PS2 NIS game. Loli necromancer and her phantom companions overcome prejudice, do odd jobs for money, save the world. Distinguished from other NI SRPGs in that the movement is not grid-based (which can be exploited, especially on ice levels) and that you can use literally anything you can pick up as a weapon. Even a fish. Even your opponents. Same as the Wii port, the PSP version revamps a number of aspects, such as streamlining stat displays, adding a new scenario, some new items and attacks. The PSP version also includes new NPCs, items and hidden quests (you can even get the hero from ZHP)!

Damned Registrations

One thing about NIS games is that the latest stuff (PS3 games for sure, dunno about any of the psp ports) has DLC shit in it. Dunno how significant any of it is, but it annoys the fuck out of me.

thesoup

Arcane
Don't feel like opening another thread so... Is Final Fantasy Tactics 2 on the DS any good? I like the one on GBA a lot.
Why is the no Tactics Ogre on the DS ffs.:(

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Don't feel like opening another thread so... Is Final Fantasy Tactics 2 on the DS any good? I like the one on GBA a lot.
I didn't like the GBA one much, felt too retarded after the original, but I played a couple of hours of the DS one and felt it was just like the GBA...

Why is the no Tactics Ogre on the DS ffs.:(
Yeah, I know that feeling bro... :(

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I didn't like the GBA one much, felt too retarded after the original, but I played a couple of hours of the DS one and felt it was just like the GBA...

:(

This. It just didn't measure up to the original. It felt too....childish.

thesoup

Arcane
Welp, I can't seem to play it anyway. Game crashes every time i complete the 3rd quest. I tried updating my firmware but doesn't work. :M

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I liked Pretty Soldier Wars, though finding a place to funnel the monsters on each level is the most important tactic. It is translated into English, takes only a few hours to play and you get special screens whether you win or lose. If you go through several levels without your teammates being incapacitated, you can take them out on dates and see more screens.

I would give details on these screens, but let's just say you are in charge of directing an all-female combat team against tentacle monsters who have invaded such locales as female dorms. Let me add that this is a Japanese game. 'Nuff said.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom