Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Help me find a JRPG....

Heavy Friend

Barely Literate
yakuza: like a dragon
As much as I love that game the story is very anime, probably more so than most of the series, and as far as builds go it mostly boils down to grinding up every job to at least level 30 for the carryover skills and then sticking to the best job for each character by endgame. I think Yakua 1, 2 (the PS2 originals, not the remakes) and 0 are more appealing to people who don't like anime tropes since they feel tonally closer to Japanese live action yakuza movies than your average anime but they're also not RPGs.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Disagree with Resonance of Fate. Although it has perhaps the most unique combat of any JRPG ever, it's plot follows a 13-episode anime format exactly.

Shadow Tower Abyss is quite good. I only just played it a few months ago. You can tweak the controls to play like modern games so it's not as clunky as King's Field. It's a simple dungeon crawler focused on action combat and resource management. It's also fairly short.

The Last Remnant was hated by journalists for a couple reasons. First the Xbox version was trash. The PC/remastered version are far superior. Also, the game is pretty obtuse. There's a lot of missable content and you almost need a guide if you want to recruit all the characters and finish all the quests. There are some anti-grinding features where you can hit a soft level cap if you fight too many battles (overblown IMO, but it's the #1 feature you will see people bitch about). The challenge is pretty uneven and there are some hair-pulling battles in the game. Still, I loved it and had a blast with it. The battle system is quite interesting and the music is fantastic.

Also maybe too animu for your tastes but have you heard of Shadow Hearts 2? It's a world war 1-era JRPG with some Lovecraftian themes. It's pretty linear story-wise but the combat has some timing mechanics and it gets more complex as you play. Kinda like FF6 in that every team member has a specific skill with a unique way of upgrading, plus they can all equip magic from a central pool.

There are three games in the series. Shadow Hearts 1 is pretty rough, and Shadow Hearts 3 has more refined and difficult combat, but most people like Shadow Hearts 2 (Covenant) as the overall best. The series itself follows from Koudelka, a PS1 JRPG that plays like Resident Evil with tactics battles.

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
IMO Shadow Hearts 1 is easily the best of the series. SH2 and 3 became too damn silly, they completely bombed the atmosphere of the game.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I think you might find The Last Remnant a bit too anime personally. I enjoyed the combat but the utterly ridiculous and incomprehensible plot and the terribly written characters really did put me off. The MC was just insufferable and I dropped it after 50 or so hours because every time he opened his mouth I was grinding my teeth to stumps.

I've played Xanadu Next and it starts off strong, but the challenge soon disappears and it becomes a bit humdrum. It's worth a try but don't expect to be blown away. You look like you've discounted SMT Nocturne, but that'd be a mistake. It's minimal fuss to set it up on PCSX2 and it's one of the most absorbing JRPG's ever, with fantastic combat.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
....that is specific to my tastes. I stopped exploring Japanese RPGs (and all its many sub-sub genres) in the mid 2000s when they apparently changed and no longer appealed to me in any form aside from DS castlevanias and Dark Souls.

-Preferably on the subtle side of anime-inspirations. Nearly all JRPGs have anime inspirations of course, but some much more than others. Dark Souls = little to none. Final Fantasy 9 = Some. Dragon Quest XI = anime incarnate.
I'm talking simplistic art style, hyperactive characters and wacky acting, sexualised children, style over substance, and whatever other trope. However if we're talking 80s mature manga Akira/Ghost in the shell style anime or even studio Ghibli style then I am all for it, but most JRPGs look nothing like that.
-Fit for a Gameplayfag. I don't care for much of anything as long as the gameplay is engaging. for reference, I find Chrono Trigger to be boring and Final Fantasy 6 to be awesome. FF6 has build choices, gameplay-oriented level design, and cool exploration. Chrono Trigger is ultra linear, level design is no more than a straight line the majority of the time with zero consideration for gameplay. and there isn't any build choice beyond equipment. It's piss-easy to boot.
turn-based, RTwP, Real-time I'm not too fussy here.
-Any timeframe is welcome. I am curious about PS2, PS3, PS4 era, but also any old classic I may have missed. I stopped playing new JRPGs around this time. For some reason the quality dropped, and they all became heavily trad anime-styled rather than westaboo stuff Japan pumped out in the 90s.

these are my tastes and the only JRPGs I find worthy (of the pool that I've played): https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/any-jrpgs-i-should-play.118743/#post-5339238

Type of JRPG I DONT like: Suikoden, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Breath of fire, Final Fantasy 13, Final Fantasy 4. The gameplay is simplistic and unengaging in each, and in most cases an afterthought. If this statement upsets you, please don't make any recommendations.

Dragon's Dogma is Capcom's (gods of action games) attempt to create a Western-style Action cRPG. Overtly not anime inspired, on the Dark Souls side. Some people say it is the best action RPG ever, with multiple, starkly different builds supported.

Valkyria Chronicles series are great sRPGs set in quasi-WW2 with water color inspired anime-hybrid visuals. Definitely not anime incarnate but maybe some of the titles are in smell range.

Trails of Cold Steel tetralogy is pretty anime, but maybe in a good way. It is a Codex darling in any case.

Gastrick

Cipher
I'm talking simplistic art style, hyperactive characters and wacky acting, sexualised children, style over substance, and whatever other trope.
Lol, I misread this as what you wanted to see in the game.

Help me find a jrpg...
I recommend Google, games found in that series should be what you're looking for.

Hyperion

Arcane
I've played Xanadu Next and it starts off strong, but the challenge soon disappears and it becomes a bit humdrum. It's worth a try but don't expect to be blown away.
This is being kind. The game kinda sucks, but the Codex is loaded with Falcom fanboys that give it a reputation it doesn't deserve. I would say it's somewhere between bad and mediocre with gameplay and systems that haven't aged well at all, such as every weapon having a skill that you need to grind out. You may as well name the protag José because you're going to spend 10-15 minutes cutting grass that inexplicably adds weapon xp every time you get a new weapon that is probably worse than what you already have.

Every enemy is the same braindead, piss easy damage soak. Run at it, break 90 degrees to avoid the attack and hit it for backstab damage. Rinse and repeat if it survives your onslaught. Bosses are an exercise in boredom because of simplistic mechanics that are repeated too often, too quickly.

Castlevania: Curse of Darkness is honestly better in every way, but is still a little mediocre. It was a good transition from 2D to 3D for the Metroidvania genre, but was viewed as a bad character action game and compared to God of War, and Devil May Cry because of the camera. Weapon classes were distinct from one another, with each type shining against different enemy types, and allowed for variable playstyles. The familiar system was pretty damn good with each type serving a purpose, but not being able to see upgrade paths until after the fact was a bit frustrating. There were a fair amount of easter egg weapons as expected, but some of the specific Familiars required you use them for an extended period, which could be frustrating.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
I should elaborate: my tolerence for anime tropes in terms of plot/writing is reasonable.
I can also just about deal with the hyperactive kids, questionable sexual ethics, overly emotional males, weird grunting etc.

My main turnoffs are:

Art style: The vast majority of anime is rather low-detail, even by cartoon standards. However when they put in the effort, shit looks amazing. Think Ghost in the Shell. Akira. Dorohedoro. Appleseed. Nausicaa. Games with even half that level of detail, that'd be nice.
Nonsensical elements and style over substance: most japanese media from the past decade if not longer has me questioning "just why!?". Not to mention what butchery they've done to long-running classic game franchises.
Drawn out action directing w/lack of detail: Mostly still-frame punches, as if the attacker just instantly teleports. DBZ style endless charge ups. Flashes of light but no actual detail, then the victim falls to the ground. Exaggerated gesturing and body language.

SMT3 is rather low-detail in typical anime fashion, nonetheless I will give it a go if it is really that good gameplay-wise.

I hope to hear more recommendations. Updated my txt to include Shadow Hearts and SMT3. Koudelka is cool, didn't know it had a sequel of sorts. and it is horror themed. Very High interest.

Last edited:

Derringer

Prophet
I'd pay for a fucking JRPG like Dorohedoro (the manga, I haven't bothered watching whatever CGI shit gets pumped out). I'm not even sure if Miyazaki could or would even bother producing a Nausicaa-like adventure game nowadays. SH1 was a fun for an early 1900s styled JRPG but you'd have to be able to put up with the copy paste enemy encounters unless you use a cheat to turn them off.

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Can't even recommend shit in this thread. Every decent game has been mentioned.

Derringer

Prophet
Popolocrois (was not recommended here, but I've heard good things. has anyone played?).
The Nightmare of Druaga - Fushigino (this one is an odd one is my first impression, but still may try)
I liked Popolocrois because Tom from Xseed did a lot of fan-translation work for the series but I lost interest when he started acting weird, just as soon as he bailed from the company. Charming art, the PSP compilation is playable for what it is, fairly average sprite-based JRPG carried by its art and character designs.
Duraga Mystery Dungeon plays weird, it looks good but a lot of the game involves figuring out the puzzles in each floor to get equipment to get through the game like the original arcade game, if you play it I'd definitely fall back on a FAQ since it's going to piss you off eventually.

Last edited:
Try out Dragon Quest 11.

It's one of my fav JRPGs.

If you are able to emulate tho, try out Skies of Arcadia. That game is a bona fide masterpiece.

Machocruz

Arcane
I've played Xanadu Next and it starts off strong, but the challenge soon disappears and it becomes a bit humdrum. It's worth a try but don't expect to be blown away.
This is being kind. The game kinda sucks, but the Codex is loaded with Falcom fanboys that give it a reputation it doesn't deserve. I would say it's somewhere between bad and mediocre with gameplay and systems that haven't aged well at all, such as every weapon having a skill that you need to grind out. You may as well name the protag José because you're going to spend 10-15 minutes cutting grass that inexplicably adds weapon xp every time you get a new weapon that is probably worse than what you already have.

Every enemy is the same braindead, piss easy damage soak. Run at it, break 90 degrees to avoid the attack and hit it for backstab damage. Rinse and repeat if it survives your onslaught. Bosses are an exercise in boredom because of simplistic mechanics that are repeated too often, too quickly.

Castlevania: Curse of Darkness is honestly better in every way, but is still a little mediocre. It was a good transition from 2D to 3D for the Metroidvania genre, but was viewed as a bad character action game and compared to God of War, and Devil May Cry because of the camera. Weapon classes were distinct from one another, with each type shining against different enemy types, and allowed for variable playstyles. The familiar system was pretty damn good with each type serving a purpose, but not being able to see upgrade paths until after the fact was a bit frustrating. There were a fair amount of easter egg weapons as expected, but some of the specific Familiars required you use them for an extended period, which could be frustrating.
Yeah I've tried to give XN several chances, but it just feels tepid and tedious.

First, like older Ys games, you have to grind to do appreciable damage and have any kind of decent defense, unless you want to play the repetitive dance of circling around groups of enemies to try to find one you can hit from behind before another enemy attacks you, which you still have to play even when your level is up to par, the only difference is being under leveled makes this a more tedious affair. This kind of thing was done better in Ys Oath/Origin because of the faster, snappier, and overall superior combat, but generally I do not want to have to grind in an ARPG. Others might not have a problem with that, but it's not the kind of game I wanted and outside of Ys, I'm not used to it. Honestly, I found the game "difficult" before I accepted its nature.

Then there is the utterly retarded decision to have every door in (some) dungeons require a key. And you need to access those doors to access the next area the game wants you to go to. For those who haven't played, you either get keys from dungeon chests or bones that you find that you carve into keys. The former are in limited supply, and usually not enough to carry you through the entire dungeon, the latter are random drops, also limited supply, or you have to buy bones from the shop in town and make sure you bought enough to get you through, which you do not know if that is the case beforehand, or just buy a ton of them, which cuts into your available spending for better gear. So then you'll have to grind some more for more gold. Or just keep returning to town to buy more bones. None of these things are savory options.

At first glance, it may seem you can have a build in this game, but you really can't specialize as you would like. Character building consists of raising points to whatever the next, stronger piece of gear requires. So your "melee build" will be forced to put points in magic oriented skills even if you just wanted to cleave skulls. And you will need melee even if you try to make a magic user "build", because your mana runs out fairly fast and potions are expensive.

Nothing about the adventure itself is interesting. Characters fails to make any impression. Dungeon atmosphere is ok I guess, like a weaker Vagrant Story. Main character is porridge, bosses are forgettable. In my case, there were plenty of other games I could be making progress in that were more satisfying.

tl;dr Not a recommend. Play Ys games or Vagrant Story instead.

I played Lament of Innocence at a friends, and it seemed like a decent attempt at 3Dvania. Didn't hear much about CoD. I'm a CV head, so if it's decent I have to try it.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
When looking for good gameplay JRPGs, I'd say Atlus (SMT, Etrian Odyssey) for turn-based and Falcom (Ys) for action combat. I know a lot of people love the combat in Trails, but those games are too story heavy for a combatfag IMO.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Shadow Tower Abyss is p. short despite first impression and quick glance at the walkthrough, like 6-8h long.
King's Field 4 Ancient City had the same thing - it looks quite big but it was like 20h? long... for veterans mostly.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
What about Dragon Quest VIII or any Dragon Quest - Game? Dragon Quest III should suit you good enough, since that one is mostly about leveling, exploring and choosing the best class.

Or take one of the earlier Ys - Games. They are mostly very gameplay heavy.

Ash

Arcane
When looking for good gameplay JRPGs, I'd say Atlus (SMT, Etrian Odyssey) for turn-based and Falcom (Ys) for action combat. I know a lot of people love the combat in Trails, but those games are too story heavy for a combatfag IMO.

I should also note I'm not a combatfag, I'm a gameplayfag. Combat is important but I have broader expectations.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
I should also note I'm not a combatfag, I'm a gameplayfag. Combat is important but I have broader expectations.

Uhm, not to be sarcastic, but aren't most JRPG's all about combat and story? So if you're neither, you problaby won't find anything that you like?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Laplace No Ma is cool.
308screenshot3.png
308screenshot2.png
308screenshot1.png
You could get disappointed if you expect a huge game with tons of different crazy spells and weapons, at the opposite it's more of a cool PnP-ish campaign with average length, balanced fights, only a few upgrades and slow character progression, which I think is great too.

Efe

Erudite
I guess he wants an eroge

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom