Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Help me remember what game this is! ... Game may not be real.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hey, I was dreaming today and sometimes I dream of things and books that don't exist. But in this case I'm really not sure if I forgot this game or if it was a dream.

The game was a jrpg. You walk around in a top down perspective. The graphics looked like Final Fantasy 5 or Live A Live or even RPGMaker but a little more drab. The item menu you could access from that screen was a list, greyish or white font on a drab color. Items were things like Salve.

What I remember the most was the somewhat shocking violence for this older RPG. The scene of which I dreamt involved fighting some monster, but somehow everyone died. Then this dragon-like thing showed up and infused the dead bodies with the essence of the seven deadly sins. There was a lot of pixelated limb-tearing.

Does anyone remember a game like this? I thought it might have been one of the more obscure SMT but it doesn't seem to exist.

Viata

Arcane
You could watch some videos like this one to help you:

Just look for similar video for other consoles and see if any game reminds you of the one you dreamed about.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I watched the video and it wasn't there. I must have dreamt it.

Two remarks:

1) The SNES looks like shit when not on a CRT. It's amazing how they designed the graphics to look beautiful on an actual CRT. It does something to the graphics that makes it so you can barely see any individual pixels. It looks much better than the "correct" rendering on an emulator without filters.
2) This reminds me of when I dreamt about a book by an author. Neither the author nor the book existed. It was a shame, too. I liked the plot: a group was illegally in China, escaping detention. But they're caught in this strange, otherworldly tunnel system, dominated by darkness and a few spaced out lights. They are confused and start to forget things as they drive aimlessly through the darkness, hoping to find something, someone. That's all I remember. It felt a bit like Heart of Darkness.
3) Amazing how many SNES RPGs I didn't know about.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Reminds me of a couple things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT2BP9GJ2zU

Xak III (which has been translated to English on the PC Engine) has legitimately shocking violence, especially for such an old, pixellated game. Watch that video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sYvtT_wsHo

I've never played it, but from the way my pal described Dark Half to me, you play as a bad guy going around killing people and eating their souls. Could be something that happens in that.

Viata

Arcane
Dark Half is fucking great. You play as the main character and the main villain, the main villain doesn't use items or equipments, you use souls to cast magics at his enemies. Pretty cool idea.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Playing 240p w/ CRT/PVM display is very gud, yes, but you can achieve equal-if-not-sometimes-better quality via emulation and the various filters and emulator options available for usage.

The only case where emulation fails is in those "classic/mini" bullshit things they're selling nowadays or with those "virtual console" stores; if you're using proper emulator with good settings your 240p sprites can look fantastic with some fiddling on your 30" gaming monitor or whatever the fuck entitled man-baby gamers use nowadays.

Example: I'd rather play SNES Wizardry games on my modern monitor with PC Snes9x emulator than on real hardware hooked up to a CRT/PVM. It's just a more flexible scenario.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, filters can make it look close. But it's still a little off, you know?

I'm gonna play Dark Half, that looks cool.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
- Might & Magic 2 -> one european version, another japanese version, no us release
- Might & Magic 3 -> us only
jackie-chan.jpg

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
dark half was cool. Ripping the soul straight out of people while they beg for mercy is 10/10, and the music is fucking great.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom