Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Help me remember what this old RPG I played was

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
This is going to be really light on details and it may turn out that the game was an adventure game rather than an RPG so apologies in advance if this is the wrong forum or no one can figure this one out.

I think this may have been one of the first games with CD voice acting. I remember if you wanted the voice acting you had to had a cable plugged into your CD ROM that went to your sound card. I think it was first person. I remember you may have had to cross a river at one point and it may have been impossible to do, maybe resulting in death if you tried. I think the point of the game was to get some kind of magic gems. At one point in the game a female party member dies and you can use these gems to revive her, but she'd be pissed at you and you'd lose the game because you needed those gems to do something else. I also think it may have been first person. I can't remember anything about the combat or if there even was any. I also think this game may have come out within a few years of Phantasmagoria because I remember that being a game I had played recently.

If anyone can figure this one out that would be amazing.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I just remembered another random detail about the game. I think the girl who dies has blonde hair and is an archer. She may have worn a green headband

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Lands of Lore ?

Doesn't look like that's it based on a quick check of wikipedia and youtube. Another detail I remember is I think you have to sneak into an orc camp and steal those gems from a tent. It may not have been orcs though.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
The second one is very different.

maxresdefault.jpg

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
The game I'm thinking of didn't have any actors. It was fully 2d art

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Another thing I thought of that might help. Stylistically I think the graphics were similar to the CD-i Zelda games. Kind of 80s cartoony. I'm googling so hard and coming up with nothing. This is really bugging me now

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
I think it's Shannara.

I had this shitty game too. I tried getting it to work a few years ago but couldn't. Pretty sure this one is gone for good.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I think it's Shannara.

I had this shitty game too. I tried getting it to work a few years ago but couldn't. Pretty sure this one is gone for good.

Holy shit that has to be it! I can't believe someone figured this out! I can't find a detailed story synopsis or anything to tell 100% for sure but the girl there looks very familiar and she's definitely an archer. I found a full video of the entire game on youtube and flipping through it I saw that she dies, saw some locations that look familiar, and I think I saw the gems I was thinking of in the player's inventory so this has to be it. Thanks so much!

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I found the scene where she dies and you have the option to use the stones to heal her and lose the game. It's at about 6 hours 32 minutes in.

Thanks again!

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Holy shit that has to be it! I can't believe someone figured this out! I can't find a detailed story synopsis or anything to tell 100% for sure but the girl there looks very familiar and she's definitely an archer. I found a full video of the entire game on youtube and flipping through it I saw that she dies, saw some locations that look familiar, and I think I saw the gems I was thinking of in the player's inventory so this has to be it. Thanks so much!
Yeah, if I remember, pretty much all the characters die. But yeah, this game checks pretty much all the boxes in your post. If you find some way to get it working, let me know. I used to play this game all the time with my friends when I was a young kid.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Yeah, if I remember, pretty much all the characters die. But yeah, this game checks pretty much all the boxes in your post. If you find some way to get it working, let me know. I used to play this game all the time with my friends when I was a young kid.

I don't know if it would count as piracy so I don't want to link it but if you do a little googling there's a site where you can play it in your browser or download it prepackaged with DOS box

Saduj

Arcane
Googled "Shannara" just to see what came up and apparently this game was loosely based on a popular series of books- eleven so far. There was even a short lived TV series on Spike.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
It's nice that in times like this the codex can come together and help each other out. At the end of the day we're all just gamers bonding over something we have in common; video games.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Googled "Shannara" just to see what came up and apparently this game was loosely based on a popular series of books- eleven so far. There was even a short lived TV series on Spike.

Yeah, Terry Brooks is fairly well known in the fantasy space.

That MTV show was terrible though.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
It's nice that in times like this the codex can come together and help each other out. At the end of the day we're all just gamers bonding over something we have in common; video games.
Haha, I wouldn't say the game is special to me, but I have a lot of memories of it because it was one of the first PC games I had, so I played it over and over. I was probably 6 or 7 the first time I beat it, and I remember taking it over to friends' houses to play it with them too. This, Arena, Daggerfall, Stonekeep, some of the Wizardries, Realms of Arkania, these are all the games I remember playing really young and were very formative on my awful taste in games. Shannara might even be the first RPG I ever beat.

In retrospect, it is really bad.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The whole game was so bittersweet, the only people who survive are the dwarf and the troll and the ending doesn't really make you feel any better about it. Being a hero sucks and everyone dies around you. The little gnome shit deserved it though.

Death Gate honestly isn't any better in that regard, maybe there were some angsty people working at Legend?

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Haha, I wouldn't say the game is special to me, but I have a lot of memories of it because it was one of the first PC games I had, so I played it over and over. I was probably 6 or 7 the first time I beat it, and I remember taking it over to friends' houses to play it with them too. This, Arena, Daggerfall, Stonekeep, some of the Wizardries, Realms of Arkania, these are all the games I remember playing really young and were very formative on my awful taste in games. Shannara might even be the first RPG I ever beat.

In retrospect, it is really bad.

I was 11 when this game came out and this post makes me feel old. Looking back on it though this probably was my first PC RPG. I had thought it was BG2 until vague memories of this game started poking around in my head. I'm going to have to play this again at some point. Never thought I'd have to figure out how to use DOS box but it can't be too hard. Turns out that version I found prepackaged isn't the CD version and its missing a lot of stuff but I managed to find an ISO I can fool with when I have the time.

I 'member this game as well.

Guess it can't hurt to vote for it on gog?
https://af.gog.com/wishlist/games/shannara?as=1649904300

Worth a shot. I threw my vote in. I think it's beyond abandonware though. It would probably be impossible to get the rights to do anything with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Legend Entertainment published a bunch of games using the same engine, I always wanted to play those but could never find them back in the day and had massive difficulties running them on Windows 7.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_Entertainment#Graphic_adventures
Some of those games are sold on GOG.
Superhero league of Hoboken for example.

GOG also sold Deathgate for short time, but it got removed probably because licensing related reasons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom