Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption - adventure-RPG from the creators of Quest for Glory

Stabwound

Arcane
Thankfully they agree that doing a remake of the first game is pointless and disappointing, especially when it already has a VGA remake. Take a hint, Leisure Suit Larry...

On the other hand, QFG5 pulled the Sierra turd treatment much like King's Quest. I guess we can try to ignore that one, but then again, this looks like another ancient duo of game designers appearing out of the blue of the 90's with cash in their eyes. The quote about them having no idea what their project will be kind of confirms that. But, RPG+adventure is one subgenre that was awesome and very sadly ignored other than the QFG series. It's hard to be pessimistic this early, even for me.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
It is wise of them not to do a "remake" of QFG1. That would be utterly stupid. And getting the rights to that (Quest For Glory) would just be too expensive (now that publishers are reacting to KS). A "New" QFG like series/game would be great, especially form the original series creators of QFG.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Thankfully they agree that doing a remake of the first game is pointless and disappointing, especially when it already has a VGA remake. Take a hint, Leisure Suit Larry...

On the other hand, QFG5 pulled the Sierra turd treatment much like King's Quest. I guess we can try to ignore that one, but then again, this looks like another ancient duo of game designers appearing out of the blue of the 90's with cash in their eyes. The quote about them having no idea what their project will be kind of confirms that. But, RPG+adventure is one subgenre that was awesome and very sadly ignored other than the QFG series. It's hard to be pessimistic this early, even for me.
To be fair, they never really stopped being RPG nerds, and have been running an online larp-y sort of thing for years now. I think a lot of the old Sierra devs have been reluctant to get back into game development after how badly they were fucked over in the past, but KS offers them a way to do it with minimal interference. The question of whether or not they can do it is still open of course, but I have high hopes for now.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm just glad they are waiting until October... gives me time to replenish my funds that went to all those other KS projects!!! I am a little worried that they don't have a solid "plan/ idea" in mind already. Just throwing something out there into KS-land without proper planning and a passionate vision is a recipe for disaster.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm cautiously optimistic about whatever they bring up when they're ready. I figure they were probably surprised like many about the success of people seeking funding for game development through Kickstarter and are now considering what they might pitch since they have the opportunity.

We'll see, though.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
A new QFG aka QFG 6 would be the bee's bras knees. Also, QFG 5 was a great game, it was my second fave QFG, #1 being QFG4. One of the great things about QFG 5 to me was the increased emphasis on combat, and less degree of stupid deaths via puzzles.

Also, are the rights to this still owned by a dead company? Seriously, haven't they reverted back to the creators now?

While a new series in the same name would be cool, thing is I want a QFG sequel. I want to play the Prince of Shapier once more, and meet with his quirky friends again. Specifically, I wanna see Elena (sp?) the high mage and Katrina in hawt sexy outfits and have them make out with each other. Also, in QFG 5 I married Katrina, and I want her as my wife in QFG 6.

Anyhow, if they do do a QFG I want them to have a real advisor who hopefully drills into their brains that this is not the early 90's anymore. Ppl don't link stupid puzzles and retarded deaths. Just keep the humor, have minor adventure elements, and focus more on the rpg stuff and good combat. Also, make the Paladin cooler with more abilities.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
A new QFG aka QFG 6 would be the bee's bras knees. Also, QFG 5 was a great game, it was my second fave QFG, #1 being QFG4. One of the great things about QFG 5 to me was the increased emphasis on combat, and less degree of stupid deaths via puzzles.
You have a specific idiotic-statements quotia per post, don't you?
:1/5:

Also, are the rights to this still owned by a dead company? Seriously, haven't they reverted back to the creators now?
The rights to QFG, as with all Sierra's games, are currently owned by Activision.
/stupidblabbering
Anyhow, if they do do a QFG I want them to have a real advisor who hopefully drills into their brains that this is not the early 90's anymore. Ppl don't link stupid puzzles and retarded deaths. Just keep the humor, have minor adventure elements, and focus more on the rpg stuff and good combat. Also, make the Paladin cooler with more abilities.
Are you 12?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Mother Russia is either a troll, or a moron. Or both. Probably an alt too. Deadly combination and possibly ingore-worthy.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Oh, I have missed this news. Great to hear that there are cool kickstarters coming up. After the steam sale I don't have much stuff to waste golds on.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Project: Eternity
I hope they come up with something cool. I wouldn't really care for only a QfG sequel, any game with similar gameplay would be great.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Is the "We're not sure what kind of game we're going to make yet" just another way of saying we're kicking the tires on licensing Quest for Glory and if that falls through we'll just make a spiritual sequel with a different title? Otherwise, that's really wishy washy about a kickstarter they plan on launching in 2 months.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Getting and buying the rights to Guest For Glory™ would be impossible. As ALL publishers are now aware of the whole KS phenomenon and will ask outrages prices and demand on them, which will only benefit them. Not the game.

Basically reboots of classic titles (By the original Creators/Teams) has now ended, as publishers will sit on them and hold them for extortion.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I just hope Police Quest and Codename Iceman are not going to get kickstarters because seriously what the fuck.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Getting and buying the rights to Guest For Glory™ would be impossible. As ALL publishers are now aware of the whole KS phenomenon and will ask outrages prices and demand on them, which will only benefit them. Not the game.

Basically reboots of classic titles (By the original Creators/Teams) has now ended, as publishers will sit on them and hold them for extortion.

You'd think they'd want to jump on the "good PR" bandwagon. EA has been very generous with Wasteland and Bard`s Tale. It's not like there's any big money to extort.

Absalom

Remember the System Shock IP is owned by a random insurance company (for christs sake.)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

You'd think they'd want to jump on the "good PR" bandwagon. EA has been very generous with Wasteland and Bard`s Tale. It's not like there's any big money to extort.

In the case of Bard's Tale, they were allowed the rights to the NAME (but none of the Original IP content). And it didn't exactly sell all that well. At least by EA standards. So I assume when he approached them on Wasteland, not knowing it would them explode into a $$2,933,252 project, they probably thought them selling the Wasteland rights was just a trivial matter. It WAS shocking that Fargo was able to also negotiate the original IP content.

I'd love to hear of any other former developers trying to buy back their IP and/or trademark from EA (now after all this Kickstarter craze), because I bet EA would now ask for some outrageous sum. We'll wait and see.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
In the case of Bard's Tale, they were allowed the rights to the NAME (but none of the Original IP content). And it didn't exactly sell all that well. At least by EA standards. So I assume when he approached them on Wasteland, not knowing it would them explode into a $$2,933,252 project, they probably thought them selling the Wasteland rights was just a trivial matter. It WAS shocking that Fargo was able to also negotiate the original IP content.

I heard somewhere that he secured the rights to make Wasteland 2 before he walked away from Interplay, he just didn't have the money to develop the game.

Kahlis

Cipher
I heard somewhere that he secured the rights to make Wasteland 2 before he walked away from Interplay, he just didn't have the money to develop the game.
He had them since some time in the early 2000's I believe, and yeah, just didn't have the resources at the time to work on it. I think he even mentioned owning the rights and wanting to do a WL2 a few years ago, in one of the Matt Chat interviews with him on YouTube.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
There's still a few bricks missing in Bobby Kotick's money palace. He needs everything he can get.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Soooo...
LoriAnnCole said:
It's been a Chaotic time in our lives since I last emailed Elsa about our plans for a new game. However, this week we made some serious decisions and commitments towards what we are going to do.

Since 2003, I've been running the School for Heroes. We closed the doors to the site last year for many reasons. However, the most important reason was that the School was intended to be a game but had turned into something else.

Still, we believe in heroes. We believe firmly in the power and influence that every person can have in the world when that person is willing to stand for his beliefs. We believe that learning is fun and that we learn best by doing things. We believe that games are powerful, meaningful experiences.

We believe that the new School for Heroes game will be fun, fresh, and exciting. It will have all the story-telling, quirky characters, humor, and excitement of the QfG series.

It's time for us to put those beliefs to the test.

We are going to create the School for Heroes game. It's an on-line Adventure RPG AND an interactive community.

We are pouring all our years of experience in playing games, writing games, and making games into this venture.

We can't do it alone. We need you. We need all of you to help us get this game off the ground.

We are planning a Kickstarter project for late October. There's a lot of work we need to do before we can get started.

Help us publicize our plans and energize our fans. We need to let everybody know that we are hard at work creating something that we hope they will love as much as QfG.

Be part of this project and help us make this dream into a reality. The world needs heroes, and so do we!
Seems they'll be doing some sort of game based off their LARP-y website thing. The lack of any real details means I'm not going to rage too hard but... :: sighs ::

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
We are going to create the School for Heroes game. It's an on-line Adventure RPG AND an interactive community.

Oh gawd. There went my boner. I'll throw dollars at them when they decide to make a single player game. Let me know when they do that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom