Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption - adventure-RPG from the creators of Quest for Glory

Discussion in 'Adventure Gaming' started by Jaesun, Jul 16, 2012.

1. SerratedBiz Arcane

SerratedBiz
    You know we're looking forward to the next thing to pop out of your crazy brain.

^ Top  
  2. Zann Savant Patron

Zann
    A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    If you are referring to Moebius, it was shit.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. TheWorld Educated

TheWorld
    I think the Coles still "got it". I did enjoy Hero U and thought it was well written. The problem, as said in this thread, is that their management skills are shit, and they marketing skills also. It was quickly clear that the art choices they made were horrible, whoever did the 2d graphics can't even get perspective right. Yet, Corey was still saying the game looked beautiful and people were not "getting it".

Also, if you advertise your game saying "oh we are the developers that you love from the quest for glory games" people will want to see a game in that style, even more since hero u is basically in the same universe. I do think that by providing better art and marketing their game differently hero u could have fared better. What saddens me is that the basis for a great game are there. If tweaking a few things Hero U 2 could have been much better, by improving the combat system, adding more variety to dungeons and perhaps some puzzles.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I'm inclined to believe that a lot of what the Coles say is a rationalization for their own eccentric lackadaisicalness. Maybe sometimes they even believe their own bullshit.

I mean, yes, it's clear that they're genuine fans of the cutesey furry stuff from the QFG series. I'm not denying that part. But it didn't mean they had to make a game of a specific type or genre. The "meh, we never liked adventure games anyway" thing just strikes me as massive cope.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Morpheus Kitami Educated

Morpheus Kitami
    Yep. They did a lot of shovelware in addition to the Jumpstart games. Let's just say a few of them are strange choices for children's games.
    Its better than that. Because the first two Dr. Brain games work in Sierra's SCI engine, there are two frontends they could use for them. DOSbox and SCUMMVM. After that, they've got problems. Early Windows games I'm sure crashes in Win10 easily.
    Now, I didn't realize this at the time, but later on I realized that KA is the new company, which means the third puzzle game, the action-adventure and the FPS should all be good for Jumpstart to distribute these days. Barring some weird licensing issue. The FPS should be easy, since its Unreal Engine 1, I'm sure there's something they can do to fix that for modern PCs.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. <3sRichardSimmons Arcane Patron

<3sRichardSimmons

After poking around a little bit more I've found multiple abandonware sites hosting all 4 Sierra Dr. Brain games for download, and one which lets you play the two SCI games in your browser, so either Jumpstart is totally incompetent at protecting their own IP, or, as I speculated, they're not sure if they own the rights to the first four games. Good news is that all 4 are out there and available to play free of charge!

^ Top  
  7. Blackthorne Infamous Quests Patron Developer

Blackthorne
    Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I haven't, but I have become friendly with them over the past few years. Perhaps I should pitch a game where they'd written and designed it, and we make it. Or co-write and design, etc. I don't know how we'd get funding - I suppose kickstarter is an option, though I am loathe to do another one until I finish up the obligations I have left from my old ones, which hang around my neck like a lodestone. But I could definitely fund the game much the way we did with QFI. I know what it'd cost to hire the artists and animators, and that's really the big expense for me. I don't take a salary when I'm programming the game, which keeps overhead down. I could probably make a game with them for $100,000-$150,000 and it'd be a great, old school RPG adventure.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    What if I just tweeted you and them and proposed the idea, with the hope that we'd get respective twitter follows chiming in on what a great idea it is?

I'm not sure you need them even to "write and design" it in toto; or even "co-write and design" it. They could provide high level guidance, help attract backer support and team members, and regularly provide notes as you develop it. You have the chops to be the lead on this; their role would be wise councilors, which isn't a heavy load for them.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Blackthorne Infamous Quests Patron Developer

Blackthorne
    Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Yeah, I mean, I talk to them in private quite a bit. Their assistant and basically lead of Transolar is a close friend of mine. I wonder.... I'll get back to you on this.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  10. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Ok. If there's any nudging or anything I can do to support you, let me know. (I'm sure many Codexers feel the same.)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. lukaszek the determinator

lukaszek
    dont indulge in negativity, we can deal with that instead

^ Top  
  12. SausageInYourFace Codexian Sausage Patron

SausageInYourFace
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    :takemymoney: You have my sword!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.