Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hero's Hour - Heroes of Might and Magic-inspired real-time strategy RPG

ArchAngel

Arcane
I tried this.. it is shit. It has little to do with HOMM, just a much worse version with weaker combat and battles and no story missions.
Oh and it CTD without message after about 30 min of playing when I tried to enter some building with my hero. At that point I just uninstalled it.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Why does a modern game that's inspired by HoMM2 feature graphics that are ten times worse than Homm2's graphics were a quarter of a century ago? I don't know, maybe gameplay is stellar, but I don't feel attracted to try this game myself.
Those kind of graphics are less tech dependent and more dependent on:
a) talent
b) manpower
Obviously the HoMM developers had a lot more of the latter. And probably more of the former as well.

deama

Prophet
Just played some myself, it's ok.
The negatives I have are mostly on the performance of it, if you want to play on a large map it takes a decent amount of time for all of the factions to take their turn, and during later in the game when you have hundreds of monsters fighting, it can get slowed down to a crawl (like 5fps).
I checked the CPU usage and it isn't that well optimized, looks like most of the load is on 1 core, and GPU is barely touched.

I do also agree, graphics are a bit meh.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
- bad codex impressions

- 1,000 reviews at 80% positive

- released at same time as elex 2

- all-time peak at half of Elex 2's

- more current players

- two person dev squad (?)

- uses assets packs (nothing wrong with them, I have the same exact assets 'cause they cool)

I'm starting to think I should just do the opposite of whatever codex says and reap that sweet, sweet decline money.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
People would generally be more positive if the game didn't have performance issues.
- uses assets packs (nothing wrong with them, I have the same exact assets 'cause they cool)
Wait, you're telling me the author PAID for those unit graphics? Because damn, that's something any amateur pixel artist could do. I need to get into the asset racket.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
People would generally be more positive if the game didn't have performance issues.
Wait, you're telling me the author PAID for those unit graphics? Because damn, that's something any amateur pixel artist could do. I need to get into the asset racket.

You can definitely make good money in the pixel art business if you're talented.

But... these assets are pretty cheap.

Here's a link: https://iknowkingrabbit.itch.io/

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also played it for a bit, but quickly put it away after a few sessions, because:

Biggest problem: You barely even PLAY the game. You just have those units in your army, which you arrange at the beginning and that's it.
Most of the time, you won't give any commands to your units and the only thing you actually do every now and again is cast a spell - and even that only if your hero is a mage.
Combat is basically an idle game.

There are also issues with the UI. Despite playing for a few hours, I never figured out how to actually get the units onto the battlefield that I wanted there.
The game would always try to "balance" my non-reinforcement army in a way I did not want it to. The different ways of dragging/merging units seems to be HIGHLY erratic.
Eventually I gave up trying to fight the UI and just accepted whatever I was given prior to reinforcements.

No consistent campaign is a deal breaker for me as well.
It's essentially a skirmish-only game. Yeah, no, thanks.

The only thing you really do in this game is the Heroes-like overworld map.
And that plays in pretty much exactly the same way as Heroes does: You have one or two main armies and a bunch of smaller ones ferrying units around.
While you build up your castles in a way that prioritizes income first and then rush for highest-tier units.
It's not bad, but why play it when you can play the real deal instead? Especially with good modern open source implementations?

I did like the looks and atmosphere of it, including music.
And I also like that low tier units are not totally useless, but serve as a somewhat important meat shield for your higher tier ones - this is actually an improvement over the real Heroes games.
But ultimately what's the point in a game that plays itself for the most part?

Last edited:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I have tried 3 duels on Normal and I've lost miserably. I was much better at HoMM lol

Any tips? My armies get decimated by Tuesday/Wednesday and I spend the rest of the week collecting crap and exploring.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Aren't both Hero's Hour & Loop Hero on gog sale atm? I wonder what the next "Hero" game will be.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Yeah... they have that already.
f381e21d648b9420179fc4cd2f47d82be05341e29bf95eb20a7bf39bea0ca4c4_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_450.jpg

I was thinking of this game, when, a few days after posting in here I saw a different game that made me think of it. Wouldn't find out the actual name of it until later.

They're different styles of games, but that Vampire Survivors one is what this game should've looked like. Just thought it was funny to see these two games so close together.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Full title? Which heroes? I've been pondering this wannabe. Combat might piss me off.

deama

Prophet
I tried this about a month or two back, was alright, a decent spin on heroes games. The big issue I had was at later levels the game performance would start to tank hard, and the fights would get to like 5 fps. Also, the whole reinforcement mechanic I didn't like much, but without it the fights would basically lock up and would be slower than 1fps.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I tried this about a month or two back, was alright, a decent spin on heroes games. The big issue I had was at later levels the game performance would start to tank hard, and the fights would get to like 5 fps. Also, the whole reinforcement mechanic I didn't like much, but without it the fights would basically lock up and would be slower than 1fps.
looks like dev made some perf improvements 1m ago to address fps.

anyway I bought it. After playing songs of conquest I got spoiled by limited troop size so Im not enjoying clusterfuck that is happening in here.

That being said interactions between fliers/archers/etc seem nice, perhaps ill spend more time learning about them

deama

Prophet
looks like dev made some perf improvements 1m ago to address fps.

anyway I bought it. After playing songs of conquest I got spoiled by limited troop size so Im not enjoying clusterfuck that is happening in here.

That being said interactions between fliers/archers/etc seem nice, perhaps ill spend more time learning about them
At the time I remember checking and I think it was either only using 2 cores, or 4, even though I have 12.
Maybe the improvement boosted the multi-threading?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
If it slows that much down, I don't want to fucking even think about running this game. Is you computer burning up also?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

This demo shows off the various lava terrain particles, as well as a work-in-progress animation for the catapult. All this is coming to Hero's Hour v2.3, a free update coming soon (tm)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom