Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hey, I was Using That (Hot Topics)

Thrasher

Erudite
It's the best feature of the front page. AND it's innovahtuv!!!
It is coming back, isn't it?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
The query (which is actually 5 separate queries for each finger - merging them all into 1 didn't help much, at least not when I tested it) puts too much load on the server. Especially with 750+ active users per day.

It may return in some form or another depending on if I can reduce the load (split it up into some JavaScript and only load what's clicked on rather than loading all fingers, plus caching it so it only updates every 15 mins or so rather than on every page load).

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Exactly why do we throw money at this place if we cannot have nice things.

No Hot Topics, no Gold Bars.

This is like the Detroit of the internets.

Also this afternoon was the first slowdown I have noticed. There were about 700 people online but how rare is that?

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Also this afternoon was the first slowdown I have noticed. There were about 700 people online but how rare is that?

index.php

daily_statistics_posts.png

Would it help if the query was similar to the one on the "What's New?" page? What about a box that's basically the top 20 threads from that query with the ones from GD thrown out? Obviously I'd prefer the return of the fingers (lol), but maybe this would be a cheap stop-gap (that will eventually become a permanent fixture out of neglect).

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
The hell what?
Stop ninja editing your posts.
It can't be helped. It's an XF thing that allows it.

Also what is peak
I think that is peak. We had about 770 online at once this morning. I doubt it's been the same people coming back all day.

/average usage. Cumulative usage can be misleading.
If you go to the forum index. Look at how many people it says are "online now". That's the average. Last few weeks it was 300, eventually it rose to 350. Now it's hovering above 400 regularly.

Bah you guys have been saying that for years.
And we've been upgrading the server for years and just recently upgraded the forum software to reduce the load.

You may have noticed.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Bah you guys have been saying that for years.
And we've been upgrading the server for years and just recently upgraded the forum software to reduce the load.

You may have noticed.

Is that what that was? I thought one of your whores spilled her booze on the server while in the the process of suffering a cocaine overdose.

Seems I have been misinformed.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Would it help if the query was similar to the one on the "What's New?" page? What about a box that's basically the top 20 threads from that query with the ones from GD thrown out? Obviously I'd prefer the return of the fingers (lol), but maybe this would be a cheap stop-gap (that will eventually become a permanent fixture out of neglect).
Or just change the What's New page to ignore GD.

OuterSpace

Scholar
Can we please get these hot topics back. I was using it a lot when it was working. Please.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom