Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Hibernaculum - sci-fi survival horror dungeon crawler from Wormwood Studios' Victor Pflug

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It looks great, and would open up some new avenues (like visually showing fumble, misfire and catastrophic malfunction). Probably makes the dungeon crawling more marketable as well.

Of course it'd also mean a metric shitton of new animations.

How could that possibly go wrong?

deem

Savant
It is distracting. The video you posted earlier, with the shooting laser, looks better IMO. It could also be that the gun is too far to the right, perhaps if moved closer to the center, it would look more natural.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
The gfx whore in me loves it, but the reasonable side of me says finish everything else and then implement this as it could potentially negatively impact the rest of your development. However, the idea that you have to draw it, adding time for reloading, jamming, fumbling, etc. can definitely add to tension, which is a good thing.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
My first reaction is that, holy shit, this is amazing. That is just so goddamn cool. However, the practical part of me realizes that a lot of things that seem cool end up dragging a game down. Ultima Underworld has you switch to an attack option to attack and I find it a bit annoying. UU isn't really a survival game, so its just annoying, but if its a game based on survival horror on the other hand...

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
so does the game have actual systems in place or is it just a series of gifs at the moment. they are very cool looking gifs certainly, but from all the ideas laid out in this thread it seems like you are going to have to cut a lot of it down if this game will ever release. i mean you wormwood guys take like 5 years just to release a point and click adventure game, let alone an rpg.

Victor Pflug

Wormwood Studios
Developer
so does the game have actual systems in place or is it just a series of gifs at the moment. they are very cool looking gifs certainly, but from all the ideas laid out in this thread it seems like you are going to have to cut a lot of it down if this game will ever release. i mean you wormwood guys take like 5 years just to release a point and click adventure game, let alone an rpg.

Well we have the environment/navigation and minimap/map creation in place. Wall and floor decorations are in, plus enemies, albeit rudimentary at this stage. Sounds system is bare bones but is working. For two months work I think we've actually accomplished a lot, and yeah not all of those GDD ideas will make it in game.

Primordia and Strangeland actually each took around three years - the big difference is now I have my own studio so my production out put is a lot higher than back then. Maybe double.

EDIT) Oh and by studio I mean actual brick and mortar studio - I used to work out of a garden shed when I was doing P&Cs lol.

EDIT x 2) Oh yeah and there's a lot of Gifs because I do like one of these (Waxworks ripoff) every evening almost.

4.gif

Last edited:

Victor Pflug

Wormwood Studios
Developer
So in the interests of complete transparency - I found something that struck me just now, Hibernaculum archive already has almost double the number of art/sprite assets that Primordia (working title 'robot') did on release.

The file size discrepancy is explained by the fact that I haven't done any music or SFX for Hiber yet - those are what takes up all the space.

So still a long way to go, but as a yardstick I think this should silence any detractors saying this will take too long to make, because I make P&Cs slowly.

So far I've made 21k separate art assets spread across 1700 folders in around 2-3 months. So put that in your pipe and smoke it ;)

fsg.png

Also here's a new event screen.

Dog2a.png

lightbane

Arcane
Size isn't everything. So work faster! *cracks whip*

I'm not sure what I'm looking at the pic. An alien species with a big nose? Space merchants, I guess.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Screen oozes atmosphere, icon still looks like a wand, text hurts to read - but the numbers are fine imo. The pluses and minuses next to ability scores are also too thick. You've got those left/right arrows, maybe repurpose them to up/down?

Keep it up, you'll get there.

Victor Pflug

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Screen oozes atmosphere, icon still looks like a wand, text hurts to read - but the numbers are fine imo. The pluses and minuses next to ability scores are also too thick. You've got those left/right arrows, maybe repurpose them to up/down?

Keep it up, you'll get there.

Thanks yeah I was worried about the + - fatness actually.

I don't think the facial feature icons read very well either (head shape, eyes, ears, nose, mouth)

agris

Arcane
Patron
I don't think the facial feature icons read very well either (head shape, eyes, ears, nose, mouth)
The portrait under "Age"? It looks great, really conveys what a futuristic dystopian Jan Jansen would look like.

(I'm being flippant, although I do really like the portrait. I don't see the issues you highlight, maybe this is a case of the artist never being satisfied? You're going to need abstraction and pulp when dealing with such a limited number of pixels, realism shouldn't be the goal).

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Font absolutely needs to change. Other than that, screen oozes the right kind of atmosphere.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom