Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Hibernaculum - sci-fi survival horror dungeon crawler from Wormwood Studios' Victor Pflug

Victor Pflug

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Hey sup dudes!

It's been a while, and I'm feeling masochistic so why not denigrate myself with a post here ;)

Did I post this? Screen Rant thinks Hiber looks better than Dead Space already and I've barely even graced the tablet at this point;

https://screenrant.com/dead-space-remake-ea-hibernaculum-wormwood-horror-game/

But then, I can think of a lot of things that look better than Dead Space, so I'll take that with a grain of salt. Despite it being pretty damn positive and stroking the living shit out of my ego.

Here's some more screenshots. Give me money on Patreon if you want more stuff.

Attachments

• MKV4a.png
    MKV4a.png
    132 KB · Views: 153
  • MneWorker1d.png
    MneWorker1d.png
    93.5 KB · Views: 152
  • HWT1b.png
    HWT1b.png
    122.9 KB · Views: 148
  • Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    113.4 KB · Views: 158

Victor Pflug

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Oh here, I'll save Zeitgeist and Fork or whatever their fake names were the trouble;

Portrait reference.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    48.3 KB · Views: 77
  • duteudue.png
    duteudue.png
    381.6 KB · Views: 74

dbx

Arcane
Patron
Looking forward to this.
Somewhat reminds me of Black Down for Amiga (mostly Black Down Rebirth) for the visuals, mechanically I think that game is vastly different from this one though.

lightbane

Arcane
Finally, more pics! I was missing this legit old-school that looks readable, instead of the fake blurry textures of lazy devs, or worse a "PSX filter" that makes everything look hazy.

Viata

Arcane
Oh yeah also regarding sound/music - aside from using mostly real hardware from the era synthesizer-wise (Akai AX80, Casio CZ-1, ESQ-1, Roland D-5, Korg Poly 800, etc etc) I also make my own synthesizers and do some circuit bending.

Here's some of the self built gear I've been messing with for the Strangeland soundtrack and other projects, and will feature in Hibernaculum to some degree depending on what I do with that.

I'd ideally like to buy some vintage soviet synthesizers to fit the theme better - but that shit is PRICEY. This stuff I built because I couldn't really afford the fancy gear.

EDIT) I have even cooler stuff too but the pics are too large to upload and I have me some Wolfenstein ET to play

View attachment 22917 View attachment 22919 View attachment 22920 View attachment 22921View attachment 22916 View attachment 22918 View attachment 22922 View attachment 22924
View attachment 22923
I think this is the coolest shit in this very thread and perhaps among the best shit I have seen posted in this forum.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Been following this since Victor started posting in the trenchmouth thread early last year.

Looks great and I really hope the KS goes well.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Wow, I don't even particularly like sci fi but this looks like the perfect video game! I can't believe I've somehow missed this thread all this time.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Well when will the Kickstarter become live?

Also will this play like Space Hulk (the DOS original)?
I think Victor talked about Dungeon Master style combat?
It's a shame because if it was turn-based it looks like it would be the greatest blobber of ALL time when it is ready.

Something that has achieved this dream-like graphic quality is best complemented with turn-based combat instead of real-time.

I really wish my post-apocalyptic blobber would look half this good with a similar style but I don't think I could source the art.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
The real-time vs turn-based question was addressed last year:
If you're not doing turn-based, people here will riot. Just sayin'.

:mob:

I mean I just never got into the Might and Magic (those were the turn based ones right?) games much - Eye of the Beholder, Lands of Lore, Elvira, Waxworks - those are the games I loved and they're also just almost untouched by current gaming trends.

Like I dunno if anyone has made modern turn based ones like Might and Lagic - the type Codex wouldn't riot over? I seem to recall new games like that already exist... Riot if they must but yeah, we're trying to make something that really hasn't been touched upon much at all since
the Westwood heyday. I actually prefer turn based combat in general though so i wouldn't straight up rule this out, it seems unlikely though at this point.
Yeah I'm familiar with Grimoire definitely - for me (massive graphics whore) though I want something that like, also really visually calls to mind the Horrorsoft, Westwood titles too. And that means lower resolution and "fake" 3d, with 2d sprites. Plus of course does it's own thing and is yeah, sci fi as well which was pretty rare for these titles.

The few I can think of are Whale's Voyage, Hired Guns... Fuck um... Oh - Perihelion - that's one I just go nuts over the graphics of. That's a weird hybrid though. Sci fi dungeon crawlers just seem to be pretty thin on the ground back then even.

As much as I'd love to go a bit camp because yeah - Elvira 2 Jaws of Cerberus is my number one all time favourite game... I'll just say - I'm saving that for if and when we licence the Elvira brand and make an ACTUAL spiritual successor to those two gems. Which is something that is, if not in the works (waxworks haha) on the table. Just maybe up the back of the table.

Here is a dungeon crawler survival horror Michael Faragher and I are working on atm

It has a bunch of cool shit in it. You will see it for sale at some point.

That is all.
I have an important question for you. Is this game going to be an Eye of the Beholder real-time style game or a turn-based joint like Wizardry?

Oh very much Eye of the Beholder/Westwood inspired. The idea (in really generic terms) is a game with an upgraded EoB, LoL engine, but with the survival horror elements and atmosphere of a System Shock 2.

Please for the love of FUCK do not be real-time

EDIT: also it looks like its single character, which...

Well, look that's not set in stone yet. We have been considering a party system similar to Fallout too - wherein you would equip and set the "aggression" of party members but not directly control them.

The reason we're mostly thinking single party member though, is isolation and immersion. I love party members but a key idea here is the atmosphere and I honestly am drawing inspiration from the Horrorsoft games too, as well as the Westwood ones.

Well, that "bonk! bonk! bonk! bonk!" is already 10 times better than millennial's writing.

Joke aside, I suppose it's not Turn-Based and party based with good combat mechanics?
From the screens, seems to be single character.

We're thinking real time combat - or whatever passes for that in the Westwood titles, anyway. Party would be great but yeah - see above. Not set in stone yet though, I mean *I* want party members too.

So are you going to finish the fucking game then, or are you going to stay on Twitter crying about how Elon ruined it like you were before?

Hey bud I can't tell if Twitter is how you advertise your >>>>>game<<<<<< or not, or if it's an outlet for you to keep ranting about your alcoholic daddy for your fairy faggot fucking friends forever. Reminder this guy here wants woke points on there and now he's here pretending like he wasn't just sobbing like a bitch like the terminally online loser he is back on Twitter.

Also this game looks like it's going to take forever to finish and then it's going to be barely passable, just go play world of horror, that's everything this game wishes it could be.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
why isn't this kickstarter on RPG Codex main page news?
Cause it's not live yet?

I would also prefer turn-based combat. Don't think it would mess with the atmosphere, either. While Sardine Dev Poster seems mentally unstable for the most part, he's right that World Of Darkness did manage to create atmospheric and tense turn-based combat.

Anyway, the biggest issue with real-time combat blobbers is the messed up clicking around in a frenzy on each party member's weapons/spells, etc. Damn, that shit is so annoying I have no clue how people put up with it.
But that is obviously much less of an issue with a single character (and proper hotkeys!!!!!*)so I think this would still be enjoyable for me.

M&M did it best by allowing you to do machine gun ranged weapon clicking for easy encounters while also allowing turn-based for more difficult encounters.
But of course, encounters in M&M were mostly you vs 1 million differently colored bees/barabarians/blobs/...

* Victor Pflug REBINDABLE HOTKEYS, MF, DO YOU PUT THEM IN?!?!?!

lightbane

Arcane
Shame about the real-turn combat thing. A solution I offer is that enemy's reaction times can be adjusted, so that they can still hit you at least once if they get in range, but you can adjust their speed from their following attacks from "borderline turn-based" to "Korean Starcraft player on crack".

zeitgeist

Magister
I really wish my post-apocalyptic blobber would look half this good with a similar style but I don't think I could source the art.

Just feed his entire body of work into AI, you can make anything in the exact same style now instantly, and there are no ethical concerns since it's already plagiarized.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom