Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Himeko Sutori, tactical JRPG, 100+ unit armies

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Emissive masks on character sprites
SeveralMagicWeapons.jpg

I wanted to introduce magical weapons and give them some sort of visual indicator that they aren't just regular weapons. The weapons already had textures for RGB and opacity. Adding a glow mask should have required adding another texture, which I didn't want to do. So instead I messed with how the material interprets the alpha channel, which now serves double duty as both the opacity mask and the emissive mask. The glow itself is very simple: a tiling cloud texture at different scales, one panning up-left and the other panning up-right, multiplied together, used as the alpha to interpolate between two colors.

Reassembling my sprite material (which is basically a lot of textures layered in different orders depending on camera direction and character direction) in order to layer the glow mask properly ended up being a large undertaking. But I think the effect turned out nicely.

New pumpkinhead character
Pumpkinheads.jpg

An RPG just feels like it needs more enemies than I currently have. These pumpkinhead guys start with the Strawman character class and can unlock the Scarecrow class. They use scythes and sickles, deal high damage, and have low defense. All of their speech consists of lines from the Hollow Men by T. S. Eliot. The poem itself is a little unsettling. Having a scarecrow recite relevant lines from it during combat is even more unsettling.

New fire and lighting effects
NewFire.jpg

Himeko Sutori's fire used to consist of flipbooks from a purchased asset pack. I'm replacing most or all instances of those fires with procedural fire, which looks a lot better IMHO. I made a jagged shape with a yellow-orange-red color ramp in After Effects. I multiply that by a panning yellow-black-red noise pattern. And then I pan a different noise pattern and add it to the texture coordinates, and I get a beautiful shimmering, flickering, dancing fire.

I had been avoiding dynamic lights for a long time due to performance concerns, but eventually I reached a point where I just could not achieve the desired effect without them. I tried out some dynamic lights and realized that in my target hardware requirements, a couple of dynamic lights here and there won't hurt performance.

New town
Boreland.jpg

I've realized that I really prefer the aesthetics of a fixed camera position. Whether fixed to world space, or fixed relative to the character, I like the way it looks and I like the simplified level design. So in large open areas like the world map, I'll allow camera movement. And during combat I'll allow camera movement. But just about anywhere else, I think I'm going to keep a fixed camera. The fixed camera works really well in places like this town. This level just wouldn't work with a spinning camera.

This new town served several purposes for me. It let me try out a new camera mode. It also changes the pacing of the first chapter and gives me a place to introduce crafting stations.

And of course I had to add crafting materials and recipes, which was really time-consuming, but not as interesting as any of this other stuff.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Still under development. Sometimes I feel like I could work on this for 100 years and still not finish it.

Well, during July I added a bunch of desert stuff. Check it out:

OasisWorldMap.jpg

OasisNoNPCsYet.jpg

MummyBattle.jpg

ScrapperArmy.jpg

And I'm still fixing stuff and tweaking stuff and generally making lots of really tiny steps toward finishing this game. Maybe one day it'll be done.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
I've roughed out the next couple of areas. My development philosophy before now has been to deliver small highly polished sections of the game. Now I'm trying to produce large sections all at once, and then going back and adding detail later.

When we last saw our heroes, they were on the other side of this portal.
HS_ShadowlandPyramidInterior.jpg

Out of the portal, they must trek through the Shadowlands again.
HS_Shadowlands_PyramidGate.jpg

Their immediate destination is South Point Crossing.
HS_SouthPointShadowlands.jpg

Through the World Gate at South Point Crossing, you're in an entirely new environment.
HS_SouthPointCrossing.jpg

This is the world map, quite a different place from the desert map.
HS_SnowWorldMap.jpg

Eventually you'll get to the Icy Reach. From here you'll launch your assault on the Scholars of Candle and Sword.
HS_IcyReach_Sunset.jpg

And for fun, here's some of the higher-tier equipment I've been working on. It's fun getting into new, more fantastical designs, instead of the plainer, more realistic lower-tier stuff I had been working on before.
HS_HigherTierEquipment.jpg

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Big news! Going into Steam Early Access in January. The game is fully playable for about 6 hours of content. I have world maps and major cities and other locations roughed out for the rest of the game. I just need to add NPCs, combat encounters, battle maps, and plot-advancing cutscenes. And I should add more music and sprites and stuff.

But for now, here is another screenshot dump of stuff I wrapped up in November.

The throne room of the Icy Reach
IcyReachThroneRoom.jpg

A library where you'll find some useful stuff
IcyReachLibrary.jpg

The Icy Reach world gate, leading you to the next part of your adventure
IcyReachWorldGate.jpg

The other side of that world gate
CaveWorldGate.jpg

It's finally time to use that lava material I made.
LavaWorldMap.jpg

The outpost where you can travel to the Yamatai lands and engage in some political maneuvering and backstabbing
UtakawaOutpostWorldMap.jpg

The Yamatai city of Utakawa
UtakawaSunrise.jpg

Yamatai world map
YamataiWorldMap.jpg

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Hey there Codexbros. The game is now available on Steam Early Access. It's not finished yet, and I still have a lot of work to do. But I think the game is playable enough that anyone who wants to try it out should be able to get a good feel for what the game will be like.

In other news, I've been updating this post for 4 years now. Four years. That's not a long time compared to Grimoire, I guess. But four years feels like a long time to be working on something.

Edit: Also, thanks to the mod who added a link to my Steam store and latest trailer! The Codex sure is on top of things!

Mustawd

You’ve come a long way since your pre kickstarter days.

I think your game releasing soon comes at a good time. Octopath traveler had a similar 2D sprite/3D world aesthetic and people loved it.

I’d recommend putting in controller support and hitting the jrpg forums and casual rpg forums pretty hard. RPGfan is a mostly casual jrpg forum with an active community, and their pidcast recently voted Octopath Traveler as a RPG of the Year runer up to DQ11. I think it won best music or something.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
You’ve come a long way since your pre kickstarter days.

I think your game releasing soon comes at a good time. Octopath traveler had a similar 2D sprite/3D world aesthetic and people loved it.

I’d recommend putting in controller support and hitting the jrpg forums and casual rpg forums pretty hard. RPGfan is a mostly casual jrpg forum with an active community, and their pidcast recently voted Octopath Traveler as a RPG of the Year runer up to DQ11. I think it won best music or something.

You sure have been following this game for a long time. Thanks for the advice. (And the advice all along since the beginning.) Yeah, I need to get on controller support. I'm in the middle of a big UI overhaul that should also make the game look more console-y with bigger, more colorful animated buttons. I'll get controller support up there after the UI update is done.

Funny you should mention Octopath Traveler. I was talking to a pixel artist recently who correctly surmised that my limited animation frames were a production decision to maximize ease of adding sprite variety. He then told me that Octopath did a lot with very few frames of animation, and made the game feel more dynamic with lots of big particle effects. He recommended that I make the battle exchanges a little more Octopath-like.

Hay Nathaniel3W it's time to start thinking about some serious poster for your game. I am speaking specifically about poster with girls in it.
Please get your art peep and marketing peep to start thinking about some tasteful artworks for your official PR and marketing.

Well, I am my art peep. And I'm also my marketing peep. So I'm going to sit down and tell myself that you said that I need more artwork. And all 3 of us totally agree with you.

I would really like to get tons of art from https://www.deviantart.com/tahra

But I think the grown-man weeaboos around the internet would want art from https://www.deviantart.com/sakimichan

We'll see what the budget allows for.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hay Nathaniel3W it's time to start thinking about some serious poster for your game. I am speaking specifically about poster with girls in it.
Please get your art peep and marketing peep to start thinking about some tasteful artworks for your official PR and marketing.
it may not be tasteful, but pretty much just waifu some girls up, the weebs will be all over it.

but yeah, can't believe i have missed this project. looks really grreat mate

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Might 1DP this just to support on how preservering you guys are on making this. Good luck!
Thanks! And if there is one attribute that matters more than any other in getting a game to release, it's perseverance. Talent and knowledge are nice, and they might have an effect on how good the game is, but it's perseverance that gets the game finished.

In related news, I need a nap.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
gratz man on early access release. Hope increased funds make you make go to finish line.

Thanks. I am slowly getting there. I'm calling the game feature-complete for now. I'm reworking a couple of early levels to fit in some castle siege battles. And after that I'm just adding more plot, filling in necessary characters, battles, and dialogues to the end of the game.

We are faster than professional plants~

I don't know man. It feels like this game development thing goes slower than just about any other process.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
It's refreshing to watch a project like this reach completion. Congratulations.

Thanks. It does feel good to push a game toward completion. It's kind of sad that out of so many projects that people announce--even from very talented and dedicated developers--so few ever reach completion. I think for me it was just a matter of determination. I refused to ever consider the possibility that I might do something else besides finish this game. I even have a hard time relaxing or spending time with my family when I know there's more work to be done on the game.

As well as things are going right now, I still can't relax just yet. I think people are getting a solid 20 hours out of the game (plus a few really crazy fans of the genre who have logged 60-100 hours in the game so far), and I think I've only fleshed out about 1/3 of the plot. I had originally set out to create a 20-hour experience. I think this is going to end up being much bigger.

I've been thinking a lot about that lately: I am working on a project MUCH bigger than can reasonably be finished by a single developer (even with contracted music and art). Most successful indie games have delivered a small, focused, and highly polished experience. I'm doing the opposite. I realize that I am going to deliver a huge, widely ranging, but not highly polished game. It's going to have quirks. It's going to have an ugly UI. It's going to have jerky sprite animations in only four directions. But I think people might just buy it anyway because the genre's fans have been desperate for an Ogre-Battle-like epic. And if a single developer is going to deliver an epic, it's not going to be polished to a triple-A finish.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Perhaps with the millions that'll come from the sales you'll be able to hire artists to give it a final pass later on, who knows. Godspeed in any case, this looks better with every update.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom