Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hiring a writer - Vote on the writer you prefer!

Who should I hire for my upcoming game StarLife?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tiagocc0

Arcane
Original Thread and Rules
Does anybody knows how should I proceed to hire a writer? Costs?

Are there sci-fi writers here on the codex?

EDIT: As I have stated there is a competition going on, it ends today (07/December/2012) so tomorrow I will make a poll for the Codex to decide who's to be hired!

EDIT2: I will accepting late entries tomorrow, but not after the polls starts.

EDIT3: Starting the poll, feel free to vote in whom you like best! The poll will be open for a week.

EDIT4:
The first competition is still going on but will not decide the winner, another competition is now in place, please check the rules.
You can still vote and check the first competition entries below at the end of the post.

For those interested in participating, I've updated StarLife website with lots of information besides the race descriptions.
You can check it here: http://site2.purpleorangegames.com/

Second Competition:
About going wild while writing the text:

In the end I have to stick with what is easy so while some texts are great, if they go too wild I will probably have to rewrite (ask for a rewrite) because while it may be a good description it would take too much work to make rules that fit the descriptions. And in the end the game has to be balanced and all the races have to be playable.
Going wild is not that bad because it can be used as concept for the game, because you're giving me new ideas that I might use or not.

It's more like a process, at the start we throw lots of ideas and then we refine it until it fits the rules and is balanced.
Since I have a better idea about the rules and I wrote the descriptions myself it is already more or less balanced and within the scope of the game so removing things that I wrote might not be always a good idea, while adding things is more safe.

I wasn't going to take this into consideration on the first competition but since I'm talking about it now please be aware of this restriction.

About what to write:

-First Text
The descriptions I made have about 200 words, so let's try to make a 300-400 words maximum.
The text must be clear and to the point, it's a text that will be shown in-game so the player will read while playing.
At the end of the description it must point to the player the advantages and disadvantages of that race and optionally an observation.
About advantages and disadvantages, don't worry too much on what's possible and what's not right now. Just keep in mind that telling that a race is immortal is a no-no.
The race will be Human.

Format:
[Description]
[Jump a line]
[Advantage 1]
[Advantage N]
[Disadvantage 1]
[Disadvantage N]
[Observation]

-Second Text
This can be of any length, try not to make this more than a page unless it's necessary to make your point.
It must be a conversation or a letter between two humans talking about an alien.
Doesn't need to cover all about the alien in question, two to three points about them are enough.
This is a manual text so feel free to talk about Human Factions if you want.

The Rules:

Just the two texts above will be accepted, they must be sent together.
I will start accepting the texts on Saturday 22 December 2012, do not send your text before this date.
I will stop accepting the texts on Monday 7 January 2013, so even with the holidays coming you will have plenty of time.
Those who submit must not edit their texts, if you want more exposure you can submit earlier, if you want to be sure it has no errors you can submit it later.
If someone submit a text that does not follow the rules I give myself the right to remove it, explain the reason why and give one chance to resubmit the text while still respecting the end date.
The alien of the second text must be one from the document provided. http://purpleorangegames.com/pdf/StarLifePage2-12.pdf
The human from the first and second text must be based on the human from the document provided.
If someone thinks someone else is not following the rules, please contact me.

The prize:

At March/2013 I will run a Kickstarter campaign, from this campaign I can ask from $3.000 to $5.000 to the writer.
So I can only hire after this date, if the Kickstarter campaign is successful.
Another option is to accept a share of the profits (like all the other members) so the Kickstarter funds will be used for other stuff and you can start right away.
It is also possible a combination of the two, but asking for money on Kickstarter will give you a smaller % of the profits compared to the above.
I'm ok with whatever the winning writer chooses.

Is there something else I should address?
If you don't agree with something please tell me now so we can sort this out as soon as possible.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Second competition entries:

sser
Overview:
Human. In some languages, the word is a curse, in others, a term of some fascination. Hailing from their homeworld of Earth, the species has entered the arenas of celestial combat with much controversy. They are physically weak and of average, unfocused intelligence. Low life expectancy cuts into their large populations as they value even the most worthless of members. A complete lack of exemplary traits has confused most observers as to how humans ever reached the cosmos to begin with.

But these weaknesses are what define the species. While most in the galaxy deify the strong, humans hold contempt for their greatest conquerors, preferring to celebrate the powerless overcoming the powerful. Human language is rife with phrases that cannot be translated: ‘victory from the jaws of defeat’, ‘out of nowhere’, and most peculiar, ‘luck’. It is the grasp of concepts beyond the measurable that make humans dangerous, particularly because these concepts are so difficult for most other species to understand.

One cannot ignore the hatred humans have for one another, though. The species is easily turned on itself from quite simple differences such as geography, language, and even colors. Governments rise and fall with alarming frequency, instability proving to be the norm. But these penchants for civil war have also spurned the species into a fevered obsession with weapon advancements. Human ships are some of the best in the galaxy and achievements in robotics have balanced out physical strength deficiencies.

While the inhabitants of the galaxy treat the species with derision, behind closed doors there is much agreement that human unity would be most dangerous.
Advantages:
- Endless internal warfare has molded humans into keen ship builders. Human ships are inherently sturdier than most, granting large bonuses to ship armor.
- Human pilots carry strange relics into battle, ranging from four-leafed clovers to rabbit feet. Human ships have bonus crit-chance.

Disadvantages:
- Human malevolence. Unrest penalties are higher for newly-conquered planets.
- Government instability. Humans incur upkeep penalties during war.
Observation:
When The One met a ragtag collection of human fleets on the outer rim of Sector 19, the A.I.’s calculations assured itself victory and commenced the battle. They lost. In the after-action reports, The One’s records state, “Outnumbered and outgunned, enemy pilots took paths most unwise. Cause for The One’s defeat needs further calculation.” A decade later, The One has yet to conclude the matter.

Second Text:
This is the recorded conversation between two human interrogators and an assassin sent from The One. Names withheld, the interrogators are listed as A and B, the assassin as Z. The assassin is the alleged gunman of a successful entry and assault on President Alec Tszyu’s transport ship in sector [REDACTED].

A: Alright, let’s [sound of chair screeching] started.

[Sound of paper and folders.]

B: Is this right?

A: Let me see. Yeah.

B: Alright.

[Chair screech.]

B: Let’s begin. Do you know why you are here?

Z: Yes.

B: Do you know who you attacked?

[Muffled talking.]

A: We’d like to know, are you under your own control?

Z: The One was sent. I am The One. The One are me.

B: Are they watching us right now?

A: Why did you kill President Tszyu?

Z: The One calculated that [sound of machine] President Tszyu would unify human factions.

A: And…

Z: The One sought the preservation of human civil war. The One was not alone in this calculation.

B: There were other benefactors?

Z: Benefactors were [sound of machine] numerous. Your [sound of machine] leaders have failed to broadcast my presence aboard the [REDACTED]. They state a human from another faction fired the weapon used to [sound of machine] terminate President Tszyu. The One calculated this course of action.

[Muffled talking.]

A: Let’s change the subject. Do you fear us?

Z: The One does not feel fear. The One calculated that human unity would be [sound of machine] most unsafe.

B: Unsafe for whom?

[Sound of machine.]

Z: Everyone.

Angthoron
Text 1:
The Human Federation is a testament to the power of ingenuity. The Humans are a race of thinkers, inventors, innovators, designers and philosophers. Their inquisitive minds keep them at the cutting edge of scientific discovery, second to none with their advanced technologies.

Comparatively frail by nature, Humans have long since found an excellent way to make up for their lack of physical strength through advanced robotics, whether guided manually, or governed by complex AIs. Their fascination with Artificial Intelligence has earned Humans a gift of trust from the galaxy's sentient cybernetic species; however, it has also sown seeds of distrust and even fear in the rest. Humans have no qualms about deploying robots on the battlefield, and with the extensive use of robotics, Human space fleets have quickly become a force to be reckoned with.

Unfortunately for Humans, their thinking is laced with emotion, and this deadly combination both fuels and ruins their undertakings, it brings them together and violently pushes them apart. Ideologies shift, agreements are left unreached, and various factions engage in endless political struggles, leaving the Humans divided and often, without direction. This lack of unity is perhaps the single reason for the galaxy to still be spared from total Human dominance.

Advantage 1: Humans are great at coming up with new technologies. They’re even better with coming up with technologies that can do work for them. Humans get a bonus to their research capabilities and to their robotics-related technologies.
Advantage 2: Humans like robots. Robots like humans. Diplomatic relations between cybernetic races and humans receive a bonus. Robotic trophy wives are becoming quite popular in the Human upper classes.

Disadvantage 1: Non-cybernetic aliens are either jealous of or disgusted with the human fascination with thinking machines. They probably consider them degenerates, or possibly a danger to the universe. Due to this, and other unrelated incidents, humans receive penalties to their diplomatic relations with organic alien life forms capable of diplomacy.
Disadvantage 2: Humans are passionate and prone to internal conflicts. Due to this, human economy and political stability receive a hefty penalty.

Observation: Humans are fun to observe.

Text 2:
If you’re reading this now, I guess it’s because it’s finally declassified. It’s probably been twenty-five years since I’m writing this, suppose it’ll be old news to everyone by that time. Kind of funny to write of this as if you’re reading this from the future when I’m still in what, the past, you know? Got to pick words, feels funny. Anyway, to the point. This is my story of our first raid on the Empire’s territories – the one you’ve probably never heard about.

It’s been a while since the first contact that Mankind’s had with the aliens. Hell, it was before my time even, so by the year I got to the Special Forces, the aliens were nothing new, nothing exciting. All those different new races we’d discovered. We met them, we shook their appendages, marveled at their culture, set up trade agreements, had minor skirmishes and named city streets after alien capitals as a part of cultural exchange. We kidnapped them, studied the ways their minds work, sliced ‘em up afterwards to see how bodies worked, too. They became an everyday thing. Some even applied for immigration permits. Like I said, nothing special. I bet they’re even less special now, to you. But these were different.

I bet you know this by now, but all this stuff with the Empire was new to us at the time. We’ve heard the other aliens speak of them in hushed, hateful tones, we’ve heard their fear-mongering stories of AI gone rogue, of genetic experiments spinning out of control, of forced implants and horrors of cybernetics… Well, they really mostly warned us of the dangers of those things, but, you see, I never knew what they meant, until we stepped into that little outpost.

That outpost was very small, hiding on a tiny moon maybe ten times its size – a hangar with two ships, crew quarters, and what recon had assumed to be a lab. We expected little resistance – maybe a dozen guards and about as much of non-combat personnel, technicians, cooks, that sort of thing. Sure enough, the numbers matched up well enough, but it only took us a moment to realize that not a single creature on that base was meant for peaceful purposes. In hindsight, I suppose it’d be like expecting three battle tanks out of ten to be good and proper housewives – just doesn’t happen. These guys are just out for war.

We took them out. We had that element of surprise to help us. It wasn’t hard, but I won’t lie that it was easy either. We were equally matched, and I don’t think these were Special Forces like we were. Just aliens meant to kill, destroy and turn any survivors into their likes. Now, us, humans, even in Special Forces, aren’t meant to only just do that. Oh, did I mention that they turned everything to look like their own messed-up twins? They sure seemed to like that.

The building we mistook for crew quarters turned out to be some sort of a production facility. They didn’t can beans there, though, or repackage moon rocks for tourists, no, what they did was… Oh, but I have to backtrack a bit. You know, we had a good reason to hit that base, besides, of course, trying to steal one of their ships. There’d been reports – solid reports, not just from our intelligence services, but from various alien sources, that people – human and alien alike – had begun to disappear. Now, military intelligence figured that people don’t vanish on their own, and organized surveillance. Surveillance that lead us to this base. And on this base, the goddamned aliens from something called The Empire were turning humans into horrid, tortured, soulless patchworks of flesh and circuits. The stuff of nightmares. Still see it. Maybe by the time you’re reading this I won’t, one way or another.

We shot them up. We set the base ablaze. We took the ships and just got out. We might’ve took some other things along as well, but that’s another story, read it in another 25 years or so. We got out, and I don’t think they knew what hit them. That doesn’t really matter though, what matters is that we, our governments, our military, prepare for this. It doesn’t matter if they know we know or not. They’ll come here. They’ll want our bodies. And we’ve got to make damned sure we keep ‘em.

OlivettiFever
Text 1: Humans are, if little else, resourceful creatures. Having built a fleet second-to-none during the 24th century—the so-called Century of Steel—the intervening years have seen humanity spread across the stars at a rate unparalleled by most other species. This rapid progress has seen wary interest from other species, due in no small part to their relationship with robotics. Having successfully navigated the turbulent waters of early artificial intelligence, humanity work closely with robotics to compensate for their lack of strength and the limits to their endurance in flight. The strength of this relationship is, ironically, not shared among humans themselves—Humans are a notoriously unstable species, prone to internal strife and rebellion. But this instability they make up for in sheer force of will.

Spaceworthy – Having spent a century locked in a race to build bigger and better spacecraft, Human ships are powerful, sturdy and fast. Their quality comes at a cost—Human ships are considerably more costly and time-consuming to manufacture than those of most other species. Spacecraft receive bonuses to durability, damage and interstellar transit time but are more expensive and take longer to build than those of alien species.

AI-llies – The development of artificial intelligence did not visit the same unpleasantries upon humanity as it did most other species. Their peaceful coexistence with robotics has earned them powerful allies able to compensate for their physical weaknesses. Humans are not susceptible to robotic rebellions, and use robotic drones in space combat.

Unstable – Humans are a destructively competitive and self-interested species. While this often manifests itself in booms and periods of good economic fortune, it also results in more frequent and severe times of economic upheaval and depression. Economic fortunes are more extreme than for other races.

Rebellious – Though the same competitive qualities have manifested themselves in powerful technology and a well-developed economic infrastructure, humanity has never been able to assemble into a political body stabler than a loose confederation prone to violent internal conflict. Popular dissatisfaction more frequently results in internal rebellion.

"Humans. They are reckless, they are treacherous. They care not for the fates of their brothers and sisters, and would sooner lay to ruin the best-laid plans for peace than give up their individual dreams of power. But they are resourceful, their spirit indomitable. And if we can stand against them, we will be very lucky indeed."

Text 2:
“Get your goddamn helmet on, Private!” the sergeant shouted, smacking Stewart across the chest with the backside of his arm. “I'm not going to tell you twice.”

Stewart coughed. “Uh, permission to ask what the hell's going on, Sergeant?”

“Permission granted – Dugwart, that's the hell going on!” The metal hull of the spaceship shuddered. “You ever meet a Dugwart, son?”

Stewart did his best to shake his head as he slipped on his helmet. “N-no, Sarge. What?” he said, nonplussed, as a deep metallic shriek began to fill the air. “Is there something in particular that you want me to know?”

“You hear that sound, Private? They're drilling in. In about twenty seconds they're going to start flooding the ship with the poison shit they call air, and anyone without their helmet on is as good as done for. Give yourself five seconds in that gas and you'll be bleeding out of your eyes, ten seconds and you're stone-cold dead. You keep that thing on, and you stay close to me, and the two of us might just get out of this alive.”

A violent impact shook the vessel, knocking Stewart from his feet. The lights flickered slightly before buzzing out. The sergeant began to yell. “They're in! Hold onto something, Private, a-grav's about to go!”

Stewart grasped the emergency railing with an outstretched hand as the gravity shuddered out from beneath him. He felt his limbs began to float languidly through the air and he braced himself against the wall, sidearm ready in his free hand. He stared up the corridor that had been suddenly transformed into a vertical shaft. The sergeant laid flat against the wall opposite him, peering upward.

“They're big bastards—seven, eight feet tall,” hissed the sergeant. “We'll see 'em coming—”

A jet of plasma fire arced down the hallway with a sudden hiss. The sergeant swore loudly, and Stewart could smell the acrid burn of ozone through his helmet filter. “Sergeant, you okay?”

“Yeah, I'm fine, kid,” he said, maneuvering himself against the wall in the darkened hallway. “Just got singed. I'll be okay.” A green miasma began to ooze down the corridor. The sight of the noxious vapor, the Dugwarts' poisonous air, caused Stewart to involuntarily hold his breath.

The sergeant pulled his service rifle from his back and propped it against the metal bulkhead, staring intently upward toward the source of the gas. “They're coming.”

Anselmus
Text 1:
Homo ergaster, the craftsman. Homo erectus, who walks upright. Homo sapiens sapiens, the wisest of the wise. One need look no further than the names he gave himself and his ancestors to understand the nature of man. Humans are bipedal, masters of technology, and vain. While some form of tool use is almost certainly a prerequisite for any lifeform to reach interstellar stages of social organization, no other species is quite so adapted to (or reliant on) external aid. Perhaps this also explains the stark, almost dichotomous, variations in the human psyche. No other species can demonstrate such heights of bravado and self-congratulation, nor are they capable of the depths of despair and self-loathing seen in humanity.

Advantage: Humans are the sole race willing to experiment with artificial intelligence now that it has become quite clear that sufficiently advanced AI is truly sentient. This gives them access to unparalleled technologies.
Advantage: Humans are masters of the social arena. Their ability to bluff, deceive, intimidate, and grovel allow them advantages to diplomacy and espionage.

Disadvantage: The hard agnosticism that allows humanity to explore AI to such extents offers none of the benefits of conventional religion.
Disadvantage: The pettiness of humanity has caused wars over sporting events, centuries long familial feuds, and a general paucity of peace. Human colonies are more likely to rebel.

"Disarm, then tenderize." - Diwt recipe for 'pudge-monkey pudding'.

Text 2:
Commander Turner-Kholkakov, P.D. August 18720*

I have managed to locate and secure the information you have requested, though at no small risk to my career. The discipline of xenotheology is itself controversial, as the scientific value of noting the degenerate behaviours of other humanoid races has not been established to outweigh the risk of reintroducing such forms of oppression to an Earth which has long been clean of them. However, it is not the subject but the details of the e-text which have locked it in the effectively impregnable (perhaps even to the Director of Sciences himself!) vaults whose bars are peer-review, pre-publishing ethics committees, and other due diligence. I have attached a copy of the text to this letter, the remainder of which I will commit to detailing the history of and the controversies surrounding it.
A monograph (the historical analysis of which constitutes the attached text), discovered by a minor historian in a self-maintaining electronic information repository (SEIR) on Luna almost 500 years ago, alleged itself to be a scholarly article submitted to the Martian Academy in 2500 (P.D. 14500 or so) by the anthropologist Alexander Kreider, who cut his teeth studying the myths and legends of the miners, traders, and explorers who were the first permanent residents of the Kuiper Belt. Kreider collected one class of legends which can only be described as creation myths, something common in human history but completely absent after a certain historical period, the urge seemingly satisfied instead by shifting cosmological theories. We can imagine the monograph was accepted for publication, the anthropologist celebrated sexlessly his ever nearing tenure, and that life went on largely as before. Only millenia later would its significance emerge, as the myths contained happened to align extraordinarily closely with those of a number of alien species.

The current consensus, that the monograph is a hoax, was not immediately reached due to the existence of one known reference to what would seem to be precisely this study by the well-attested Kreider. The document which I submit to you now in fact passed through the preliminary stages of the process of academic authentification. Only when it became clear that a persistent (and illegal, falling under the jurisdiction of libel and hate-thought laws) belief in the Empire's origin as an ancient, outcast group of humanity* began to draw credence from it -- given that the four species seemingly described were precisely those which would have been well-known to the outcasts following the established timeline, and given that the source of these myths (thought to be some relic arrived on a comet) could only have been in a human dialect as the subjects of Kreider's study were surely incapable of deciphering an alien language -- did the academic backlash occur. The reference to the study was explained away by transcription errors in the archival nanomachines of the SEIR which housed the referral, in analogy to genetic drift or the evolution of human languages. Presently the original monograph is entirely missing, and the historical report on its rediscovery effectively censored, its author now joining Lamarck and Coon as fellow laughingstocks in the annals of human thought. If they are indeed the oldest instances of alien belief, I hope you glean some military insight from the portions I have included.

To your continued health and freedom,
Cecil. B. Toews, Chief Regional Archivist - North Atlantic

Telengard
Text 1
Human

Description: Standing at an average of only 1.7 meters, Humans are one of the smaller species of the galaxy. Their small stature combined with a lack of natural weaponry has left them with a reputation for not exactly being the greatest of fighters. However, their innate curiosity and fascination with technology has allowed them to build some of the finest ships in the galaxy. While Humans themselves may not be famed for their fighting ability, their ships certainly are. Additionally, Humans make use of robots whenever they can in order to compensate for their lack of physical prowess.

Researchers by nature, Humans are well-known for their advanced technologies. Their willingness to share those technologies would normally see them winning many supporters throughout the galaxy, but their continued fixation with artificial intelligence and robotics is seen as a threat by many species. After the bitter AI Extermination War, most species have banned all sciences related to AIs and robotics. Humanity's continued research into these forbidden technologies has greatly weakened their relations across much of the galaxy. Humans are one of the few peoples that can maintain peaceful coexistence with AI species.

With their advanced technology and superior ships, the Human civilization might seem at first glance to be to be an unstoppable force. Except, Humans have a fatal flaw that prevents them from dominating the galaxy: factionalism. Humans tend to have vastly different ideals from one to another, and seem to enjoy nothing more than forming a new political faction and attempting to unseat whatever government is currently in power. Because of this, Humans tend to spend as much time dealing with domestic issues as they do expanding their civilization into space.

COLONIZATION
Settles: Terran, Gaia
Terraforms: Ocean, Desert, Barren

TRAITS
Advantages
Robotics: allows Robotics Laboratory, a building that provides for the development of various robots through further research
Rare Technologies:+10% to effects of all ship components
Curiosity: +1 Research from all Human colonies and outposts
Disadvantages
Factious: 30% disharmony on all Human colonies
Unfanged: have no natural combat ability
Small Stature: -1 to resist Knockdown and Pin

DIPLOMACY
Culture: Technologist
Relations
AIs: +0
Other Technologists: +10
All other civilizations: -10

Text 2
Independent Mining Vessel, the Lucky Spin

Spencer Greaves, Pilot: Putting it up on screen, cap.

Captain Walter Boggins [not looking]: Is it foreign?

Greaves: It's an...alien vessel, cap, sure enough.

Captain Boggins [muttering to himself]: What're they doing in our territory? –Well, whadda they want?

Greaves: Dunno, cap.

Captain Boggins: Hmph. So get them on the horn and ask! Isn't that your job, god damnit!

Greaves: Sure thi... Actually, they seem to be hailing us, cap.

[from communications]: Shoorus radis jur.

Captain Boggins [scowling]: What the hell is that jibber jabber?

Greaves: Sounds like...Dugwarts, cap.

Captain Boggins: What? ...Are those the icky green things? Or the pink, tentacilly things?

Greaves: Um. How would I know, cap?

Captain Boggins: God damn useless $#&%. –Well, where's the bloody manual on those twerps, then?

Greaves: TH7, cap.

Captain Boggins [fumbles around on his hand console for a while]

Greaves: Top left on the console, sir. ...Tango. Hotel. Sev-en

Captain Boggins [painstakingly tabbing a few keys, one by one]: I know that! –{reading] Dugwart come from a naturally toxic planet requiring them to carry those toxic gases on their suits when exploring other planets.

Greaves: Cap. Something's going on over there. I'm reading something strange.

Captain Boggins [continues reading]: Those gases are very corrosive so their suit has to be reinforced to withstand them.

Greaves: They're firing something at us, cap! It's a missile! ...It's huge!

Captain Boggins: Wait! What? [begins tabbing wildly] Where's the god damned weapons read-out on this %*$@ thing?

Greaves: It's gonna hit! What're we gonna do?

Captain Boggins: Get us the hell outta here, Greaves!

[A loud clang]

Greaves: We're hit. ...But, no damage. I...don't understand.

Captain Boggins: Ha! It was a dud. Should'a known. [sniffs] Foreign buggers can't make tech worth a damn. –Get ready to return fire, Greaves!

[A loud, whining hiss]

Captain Boggins: Now what?

Greaves: I dunno, cap. Wait. That missile. It's attached itself to the ship somehow. It's...boring into the hull, cap!

Captain Boggins: Huh? Why would anyone wanna do that when they could just blow a hole?

Greaves: I... I...

Captain Boggins [ignoring Greaves]: Where is the damned weaponry section anyway, god damnit! –{reading] Not only are Dugwarts able to colonize toxic planets but they can also terraform them to resemble their home planet and thus utilize the planet full potential.

Greaves: Cap! The missile has cut though, and some kind of gas is spilling out...Medic alerts going off all across deck 3, cap! I think the gas is toxic!

Captain Boggins: Toxic gas? I don't see that listed anywhere!

Greaves: Uh, there's more, cap! People are reporting that some sort of creature is coming out of the missile! ...Lots of them! [a red light appears on his console] Weapons fire detected, cap! All across deck 3!

Captain Boggins [flings his hand console across the deck]: This thing is bloody useless!

Greaves: Cap!

Captain Boggins: Aw screw it. [stands up] Go get your pike, Greaves. [takes up his own weapon] Just shoot them all in the head. That always works.

*All your gases belongs to us!

hoverdog - Winner
Description

Humankind, the crafty apes. Their adaptability and rapid progress both fascinates and terrifies other races. In centuries they achieved what others struggled with for thousands of years, and they are still developing, looking for new challenges, borders to cross and frontiers to explore. Humanity has an insatiable thirst for greatness. Frail carbon-based bodies do not help them, but what they lack in physical strength, they make up for in tenacity and acumen.

Throughout the galaxy it is often said that the greatest enemies of humanity are the humans themselves. And indeed, the history of humankind is a history of war. Squabbling and rebelliousness defines them the same way as intelligence and determination. Constant bickering, insults and even raiding parties are a standard on fringe colonies. Terran Council, their democratic government body, may be able to unite independent states against an exterior enemy, but quelling internal animosities lies beyond its power.

Major subject of concern for other races is humanity’s obsession over robotics and artificial intelligence. Most species do not allow any research on AI, fearing that it may become truly sentient and consequently rebel. Humans, however, pay no heed to any warnings, and brilliance, the one thing that elevated them to power, may one day prove their downfall.

Traits

Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all other forms – Player needs support of Terran Council for his civilization to function properly. If he acts against its will too many times, the Council may even dismiss him from the office, ending the game prematurely.

Self-serving – unless kept in check, colonies have a habit of becoming autonomous. The larger the distance from homeworld, the bigger the economical and unrest penalties.

PhD in robotics – humans have a natural knack for science, and mechanical studies in particular. Research rates in all fields are higher than normal, doubled in robotics. Humans also receive diplomatic bonus in relations with the One and are the only race that can use fully functional AI on their ships, although depending on it too much can have disastrous consequences.

Weak of body, strong of heart – Human bodies are weak and fragile. They are subpar in close combat and, most importantly, find it hard to settle on less habitable worlds. However, their strong spirits give them a morale boost when outnumbered.

Observation
Humankind has perhaps the largest potential of all sentient races, but are they able to reach it?

“Dear Mom and Dad,
I am so so so so so sooo sorry for not writing you sooner, but the first few weeks after graduating from the Academy were all a blur. I know you’ve given up everything just to help me get there. I did it. I finished the second in my class, third in the whole year! Enough to be immediately accepted on half of the navy – I got luckier though! Ambassador Fedeli – the one that deals with Krom – insisted that I become his assistant. I was scared at first – you know what they say, and how grandma was telling me that the rocksies will come and eat me when I was naughty – but it was an offer I couldn’t turn down! They made me sign a whole lot of papers and we set off for the Krom main space station the very next day. Imagine my anxiety! My first long space travel. My first meeting with aliens – and not just any aliens, but the real bad guys.
And guess what – Kroms aren’t like that the slightest! Where did it come from? Everyone says they are stupid, savage, that they destroy worlds for food and eat their children when everything is used up. That they are dangerous and should be eradicated before there’s nothing left for us to colonize. Even the professors in the Academy told us so! But it’s not true at all! Well, they do feed on rocks, but it’s like wheat for us, isn’t it?
Honestly, Kroms aren’t really dumb and brutal like people think. They’re slow to react, but at the same time polite and extremely patient. We humans can do more in a day than they in a week or more – but where’s to hurry when you can live like ten times longer? They aren’t worse, they’re just, you know, different.
I heard people in the embassy talking about invasion. Why? What for? They haven’t done anything wrong. Can’t we just live in peace?! The ambassador should really do something about it!
Anyway, gotta go now, I have lot of duties. I’ll message you again soon, I promise.
Kisses,
Andrew”

- To think this greenhorn could undo decades of careful manipulation and propaganda. Claiming Krom mineral deposits is our top priority. We have to get the Council’s unanimous approval. And for that, we need all the hatred and vitriol of the common folk. No. Word. Gets. Out.

- He’s just a kid. Maybe he didn’t understand the situation.

- Then he is a bigger fool than I thought. Everyone signed those clauses.

- But did anyone read them?

- It’s irrelevant. Ignorance is no excuse. Are you sure we blocked the comm?

- Hundred percent. But it was a close one.

- Back to work. You know what needs to be done. See to it.

- The ambassador won’t be happy.

- I don’t care. He should be more careful. He’s aware of the risks.

- Maybe it’s time you reminded him. [sigh] That boy could’ve had a bright future in the Navy.

- Well, tough luck for him then.

- And the rocksies? They’re slow, not dumb.

- But they are naïve. And suspecting us to wage war just for worthless dirt, really?

- One species’ trash is another one’s treasure. [cough] Oh. And one more thing.

- Yes?

- Make sure the next assistant keeps his mouth shut.

Deuce Traveler
Text 1:

Description: Short-sighted, indolent and vicious to the point of irrationality when roused, the human race has somehow turned numerous vices into dominating virtues. While other interstellar races may take time to research the impact of new scientific discoveries, humans are quick to adapt them into new technologies in various fields ranging from recreation to war. As a whole, the race has shown itself capable of great exertions of labor, but only when given promise of significant material or financial reward on an individual basis. This may explain why the human race has embraced computers and robotics so whole-heartedly, as their brief but strenuous efforts in these fields has resulted in the leisure time that allows for recreational studies in other intellectual pursuits.

The success and expansion of humanity has not resulted in a form of unifying racial pride, but instead has lead to quite the opposite. The disparate human worlds and colonies have pursued their own goals, uniting only when they are threatened as a group. It is difficult to predict what may cause the human race to act with cohesion; one world may rejoice in watching a rival taken over by an alien race, but a photo of a young child being blown apart in the same conflict may touch the interstellar public and result in a crusade of shocking proportions. Humans may be slow to go to war because of their various competing factions, but these same limitations make it even more difficult to make peace. War with humanity is often total.

- Research: Because of their cultural appreciation of technology, humans research technology faster than most competitors, especially in the fields of robotics and computers.

- Ship Building: The use of human ingenuity, robotics, and computations aids in human ship-building, which in turn allows for the manufacturing of space-worthy shipping at a cheaper cost.

- Divisive: The human race receives a penalty in diplomacy and starts as a feudal government due to its factional nature.

Observation: Humanity should be treated as a potential ally in the cause of technological discoveries. A small outpost or colony often may be acquired by a competing race without provoking outright war. However, it would behoove those with greater aspirations to act with alacrity, before humanity’s perilous war machine can be brought fully to bear.

Text 2:

Partial Transcript of a recorded conversation during the 42nd day of the Season of Harvest in the 633rd year of the Benevolent Era between Royal-Voice Tulgh of Rizier and Duke Gallen the Sixteenth, Fifth Regional Commander of The Talos Border Colonies, Ruler of Talos IV, Provincial Magistrate of Belos, Rizier and Hap and Patron of the Golden Choir Orchestra.

Gallen: Your ruler feels compelled to remind you that he is displeased with the lack of progress in bringing our neighboring systems to a council of war. The One’s encroachment towards our space might first only threaten our own blessed Talos system, but if our kingdoms were to fall, the Enlightened Colonies of Desine and the United Theocracies of Kwa would face their hostile forces. Do my fellow rulers suffer from blindness or are do they suffer a malady of the mind?

Tulgh: My apologies, your grace, but your neighbors do not agree with your unfailing logic as they lack the intellect that you possess. The ruling class of research directors from the Enlightened Colonies are almost wholly dependent upon their own robots and computers, and believe that they can reach an understanding with the One. In my opinion, they seem so devoted to their various projects that they cannot fathom diverting resources to war and refuse to see the threat. As for the United Theocracies of Kwa, they see nothing to be gained in going to war against a species that has yet to attack any of their own people and cannot be converted to the religion of the Shining Truth. Admittedly, there is also the matter of the Letters of Marquee that your father issued against their worlds more than a decade ago during that one embarrassing episode better not discussed.

Finally, there is the problem of finding common ground. The Enlightened Colonies and the leaders of Kwa have sought new discoveries, either scientific or philosophic, while we have been focused on weapon innovations. When it comes to fleets, the Enlightened Colonies send out ships for space exploration while the Kwa fleet is mostly comprised of merchant vessels and missionary craft in order to spread the Word. The focus of both you and your predecessors on a military fleet makes our neighboring humans fearful of your own aspirations. I have been frustrated to encounter so many great human minds which cannot see past their own pursuits and work for the defense of humanity as a whole.

Gallen: It is shameful to hear that our neighbors slander the honor of your ruler and his forebears. Perhaps it is high time that my Royal-Voice reminded them that if it were not for Gallen the Eleventh efforts against the WeaBoo Sun Empire, they would be speaking Fapanese now, or if Gallen the Thirteenth had not turned the tide at Star’s End, it would be their luck to be house slaves under the BorBorr Clans. Your one job is to convince them. Your ruler cares not for the difficulty of your task, but only for results. Perhaps my Royal-Voice finds himself over-exerted and needful of rest. If you find yourself unable to meet the challenge, mayhaps it is time for another prestigious member from one of my other provinces to take up the work.

Tulgh: Thank you for your consideration of my health, your grace, however I have another suggestion. If our neighbors cannot be convinced to mobilize for war because they do not fully understand the threat, then we need to allow for them to come to the realization for themselves without endangering our own position. Now our fleet patrols key trade lines to protect our own interests, but our ships’ movements have a secondary effect of guarding portions of the neighboring shipping lanes. Here is what I propose…

First competition entries:
Name: Angthoron
Race: Orgon

Original Description:
Species-0.4501 also know as Orgon

Orgons are small creatures that have a very special planet.
Their planet has a rare gas that makes their planet very cold even though
they are very close to their sun. They breath this gas thus making it a
necessity to carry it on their ships and produce it on their colonies.
The production of this gas is possible but it’s a very slow process, slowing
down the construction of ships and colonies. The colonization of hot and
normal planets is possible but it’s quite difficult to colonize cold planets
because the gas becomes liquid. This causes a horrible and painful death
for a Orgon.
Orgons are very vulnerable on close combat because of their suit that
carries the necessary gas to sustain their life.
Because of the unique properties of this gas Orgons are able to use it to
cool weapons like Lasers that build up heat very fast. It can also be used
to cool starship engines. But it really shines when converted to plasma and
used as a weapon, most ships are protected against intense heat, but
very few are protected against intense cold.

His Description:
The Orgons are a race of small [size range or average recommended] humanoid [assumption/basic description could be good] creatures originating from a very special planet.

This planet closely orbits the sun, however, unlike a normal planet situated such a short distance away from a star, its atmospheric and surface temperatures are very low. This anomaly is caused by the presence of a rare gas that makes up for large percentage of the planet’s atmosphere, a gas that is coincidentally vital for the Orgons. Due to requiring the gas to breathe, the Orgons must carry it on their ships and produce it on their colony worlds.

The production of this gas is possible, however, it is an extremely lengthy process that consumes high amounts of colony resources, thus slowing down the construction of ships and hampering possible colony expansion.

The gas also has an unfortunate quality of turning liquid in colder temperatures, thus making colonization of cold planets a risky venture, and very few Orgons would volunteer to settle a world where any malfunction could lead to an agonizing death. Colonizing hot or temperate planets, on the other hand, bears much less risk and is therefore quite possible.

Due to carrying the life-sustaining gas on them at all times, the Orgons are highly vulnerable in close combat; however, they turn this necessity to their advantage with laser-based weaponry as the cold gas makes for an excellent coolant. The cooling potency of the gas is so great, in fact, that it can even be used to cool starship engines.

Through years of research, the Orgons have discovered a yet another application for the gas they breathe – converted to plasma, it can be used as a powerful weapon, as most would-be enemy ships are protected against intense heat, yet very few field good defense against extreme cold.

Race: Human

Original Description:
Species-9.2009 also know as Human

Researchers by nature, Humans are well-known in the galaxy because of
their advanced technology.
Their fixation with artificial intelligence and robotics is seen as threat to
other species. They are one of the few races that can maintain peaceful
coexistence with AI species.
They use robots whenever they can to compensate for their lack of
strength. Although they are not exemplar fighters their ships are very well
built and one the best in the galaxy.
What keeps humans from dominating other species is their fragmentation,
humans tend to have very different ideals from one to another and thus
making rise and fall of factions within their government happens all the
time.

His Description:
Curious by nature, the Humans have gained quite the reputation for their advanced technologies, ingenious solutions and inquisitive minds, although their desire to play god with robots and artificial intelligence is often regarded as a threat by other species. On the other hand, perhaps due to this, they are one of the very few races that can maintain peaceful coexistence with alien AI species.

The Humans are fascinated by artificial intelligence and robots – in part due to being, at the core, a curious yet lazy species that enjoys delegating the menial tasks to stronger, more patient assistants and tools. Thanks to their pedantic mechanized workforce, the Human spaceships are some of the best in the known Universe – however, no sane species is willing to share their know-how of weapon making, thus leaving human military fleets armed with average weaponry at best.

It is not only the Humans’ inferior weaponry that makes the Universe sigh with ease, however. Due to their turbulent past, shifting ideals and the ever-fragmented political factions struggles for dominance, the Humans lack the unity necessary to truly impose their will upon the neighbouring species. Yet, just as with everything else about the Human ways, it is impossible to truly tell how long this division will last.

Description: Human about Orgons
Dear Milli,

Under some of the most incredible circumstances, I was accepted as an assistant navigator for an Orgon corvette. It is an amazing piece of work, I tell you, a real marvel of modern engineering, and imagine this, Milli, it was handmade! Well, relatively handmade, at any rate. These fellows aren’t very fond of robots, you see, they just make things with the bare minimum of automation. When I mentioned that I could get them a couple of last-gen deckhand droids with a good discount, I swear, they look as indignant as a politician accused of taking bribes! Their icy stares could almost pierce my suit and turn me into ice.

That’s right, my suit. No, I’ve not taken to wearing uniform yet, cast away your fantasies. I’m wearing an environmental suit at all times, however, except for when I’m in my own quarters – see, Orgon breathe some sort of frigid gas, and as it’s their own ship, they’ve naturally not geared it for humans’ purposes. Well, they did have one of their quarters, I presume for transportation of prisoners, set up for me to breathe in, so that’s where I’m staying when I’m not on duty. Poor sods, though, they have to keep up the right temperature in their suits when they go outside, and while you might agree and think that it's what we do, too, well, at least we don't suffer the risk of drowning in our suits should the temperature fall a little too low. That's how I got this job, actually - my predecessor's suit had failed on shore leave, and we're (slowly) headed to receive an assigned replacement.

It’s a boring job, I’ll tell you that. Their AIs are extremely basic, and they seem hostile whenever I bring up the topic of upgrading. The First Mate even reprimanded the whole of mankind on one occasion, nearly spilling his drink as he (I think) raged about our “irresponsible games” with “things we don’t understand”. Well, sure, we don’t understand anything about Artificial Intelligence, that’s must be why The One are our cordial allies, and why our colonies are built by gangs of happy droids.

In any case, I have to tell you about the corvette. It is amazing – despite being hand-made, this thing is powerful – their engines could be as good as ours, easily, thanks to this weird gas of theirs. It keeps them cool when any other tech but ours would have the thing be tearing apart. Still, it’s not the engines that are the amazing part about this ship, it’s the weaponry. Milli, our weapons are the proverbial Stone Age compared to their plasma weaponry! I’ve seen it fired just this once as we were requested to destroy a pirate vessel harassing a trade route, but it made a lasting impression in my mind. It froze their ship, so to speak – the Orgons later explained that it shoots some sort of freezing plasma that they get out of that gas of theirs somehow. That pirate never stood a chance.

So how are things at home? Last I heard, seemed like another pre-election scandal. I caught a bit of it on the news, things looked wild. Did Tim Campbell really punch that old cow-face Ziemniaksson in front of the journalists? Amazing! I hope it doesn’t affect your life too much, though I wonder if you’ve still got faith in the United Democratic Alliance like you once did, or if your fascination with their “honest” politics is finally over. If they were so honest, why could they not secure us deals with the Orgon while they were in control? With our ships and droids, our science, our ambition, we could easily own this universe, but will we ever? No. I’m telling you, the Orgon are amused when I try to explain them our politics. That, or confused, I can’t always tell. They tell me we’re wasting our time, and you know, as alien as these creatures are, I’m starting to think they’re right.

Anyway, that’s enough of my ranting. Now that I’m in civilized parts of the universe again, I’ll be in touch more often – and I’m sure I’ll be coming home soon. Take care.

Love,
Harold

Race: The Empire

Original Description:
Species-4.0067 also know as The Empire

The Empire is a collection of species that were genetically modified. The
Empire captures other species and forces them to go through a series of
painful operations. After being modified most of the victims becomes
physically identical to the rest of the Empire.
Their goal is to unify the galaxy by force, why the modified species does
not flee from their captives is still a mystery but scientists speculate that
their brains are also modified making them unable to resist the urge to
serve.
Everything in The Empire goes toward war, they get bonuses on close
combat, starship combat, starship production and research on weapons.
It takes a bit longer to assimilate an alien planet but after the assimilation
the planet becomes the same species as The Empire. It is also possible for
them to live on most planets because of their genetic engineered bodies.

His Description:

The vastness of the Universe contains countless terrors and enigmas. The Empire is one of them. A mysterious collection of species, the citizens of the Empire have certainly not joined it of their own will, yet their looks will ever betray their allegiance. This look, copied from one creature of the Empire to another, is an image of utter terror to most of the Universe's sentient beings.

These creatures, these victims of unknown tortures and experiments, all bear unnerving similarities, no matter what their actual origin may be. Their bodies are cut, implanted, augmented, resized, mechanized, lobotomized, tortured and cut again in visible attempt to recreate a form that should be uniform for all the citizens. The origin of this form is perhaps the Empire's mysterious ruler, or the creator of these terrifying creatures - it truly is impossible to tell. Not many wish to communicate with these beings of nightmares, and those that do are usually quickly welcomed into the fold. The Empire does not explain its ways, it simply forces them upon the rest.

Should the Empire come knocking on the proverbial door, make no mistake - it is not a social call. Their very nature and what little was discerned of their society, is geared for war. The winners get to stave off the inevitable a while longer, while the losers will soon fuel the insatiable war machine of the Empire. Even the species living in extreme conditions cannot consider themselves safe, as the Empire's generic (and other) modifications permit invasion and settlement of virtually any world, and their formidable technology and powerful weaponry ascertain that no local life form will ever be much of a threat.

Description: Empire to Humans
Dear humans,

We thank you for your ingenious solution for our population crisis. As you have become aware, our biology prevents us from reproducing in what may be considered a traditional fashion among the biological species. Sadly, few of the creatures that we have encountered have been excited about the idea of permitting our race to continue its survival among the stars, and thus we were forced to develop mighty war fleets and devastating weaponry - simply in order to exist for another generation. Unlike you, none had ever attempted to look at the cause of our predicament.

Unfortunately, in our feverish race for survival, we have overlooked a simple, yet elegant solution that you now offer. Your race's ingenuity is clearly not overstated. According to your research, our trouble stems from being essentially a nomadic culture that has failed to evolve to the simple stages of agriculture and animal farming. While we may disagree with your view on our "halted" evolution, your assessment is nevertheless correct, and your solution would prove most fruitful indeed.

Accept our offer of eternal peace and friendship, and our undying gratitude for your cloning technologies!

Mankind and Empire, allies forever!

Name: sser

Original Description:

serve.

His Description:

An aggressive, warring faction, the Empire’s presence is one of the most feared in the galaxy. Though their legions appear monolithic, the Empire’s armies are an amalgamation of every species they have conquered. In victory, the Empire assimilates its fallen foes – recruiting them right into their own ranks through genetic modification. The complete lack of desertion, or even the concept of morale, makes many believe that the Empire’s troops have been divested of self-identity. It is unknown who, or what, is at the center of the mysterious faction.

[And then maybe have gameplay notes separate? For example:]

Faction Attributes: The Empire’s devotion to war and conquest gives the faction bonuses in combat, starship production, and weapons research.
Assimilating a planet takes longer than other factions, but once finished the conversion is total – there are no remnants of the previous owner’s presence.
Because the Empire’s forces are genetically modified they are able to live in even the most dangerous of planetary atmospheres.

Name: Deuce Traveler

Race: One

Original Description:
Species-7.4822 also know as One

A species made out of Artificial Intelligence, they use robots and super
computers in their ranks. They are know as One because that’s how they
refer to themselves. All of them are connected to a single network and
they exchange information between themselves almost in realtime.
Their spaceships usually has no crew because it has an AI of it’s own. This
makes their spaceships able to use very complex maneuvers to avoid
damage.
Because of their lack of individuality they are unable to research new
technologies, they have assimilate it from other races and they are very
good at it. They are however exceptional at improving technologies they
already own.
Scientists speculate if One is a single entity or a group of entities.

His Description:
The origins and motivations of the One are a matter of ongoing speculation among scientists. Some theories postulate that the One is a singular being comprised of a vast network of supercomputers, able to enact its will through the manipulation of robotic drones. Others push the theory that the One is a network of various artificial intelligences connected together via technology that allows for realtime communication across large distances and able to come into a consensus of action within microseconds.

The One's spaceships and drones are devoid of organic life, giving an edge in ship construction as life support systems are not included in the One's vessels, and an additional benefit of being able to operate more efficiently in combat when gravity is a factor. The One is unable to research new technologies because of a lack of initiative and imagination, a handicap that has resulted in the One excelling at reverse engineering innovations from other races and improving upon them.

There have been fragmented and rare reports of different vessels from the One firing upon one another. The 'Singulists' believe this is part of a cleansing cycle where the One destroys obsolete or faulty equipment. The 'Groupies' point to these reports as evidence that the One is actually a group of artificial intelligences that sometimes disagree to the point that it leads to the destruction of the minority opinion. Whatever the case, the tales make clear that the resulting actions are sudden, violent and brief.

Name: hoverdog

Original Description:

serve.

His Description:
Nobody knows the origins of the Empire, how it was formed or by whom. Scientists speculate that a once peaceful race, the Lirri, endured some kind of disastrous genetic disease which made them seek salvation by means of complex genome modifications. Unfortunately, the process went wrong, and the newly created creatures turned on their masters and, not encountering any resistance, quickly conquered the planet. Soon, there were no Lirri. There was only the Empire.

The Empire conquers and assimilates. Subjugation is their only goal. They do not reproduce – they capture other species, modify them, and make them one with the Empire. They do not grow food – they take it from the weaker. They do not research – they capture alien technology and meld it with their own, to further improve the genome and the means of destruction. They cannot stop invading, for once they do, they will cease to exist.

Imperial warriors are genetically engineered to be unparalleled in the arts of war. They are strong, extremely tough, and their prowess in piloting and shooting is second to none. No other species can stand up to them both physically and in terms of skill, which offsets technological inferiority.

There is no ‘I’ in the Empire. Every member of the “species” works towards the common goal without doubt or hesitation. Loyalty is imprinted in their genes. Only random mutations of the genome can circumvent it. Those are few and far between, however, and the Empire takes great care to eradicate every imperfection. Espionage is therefore not recommended as a weapon of choice against this race.

Upon gaining control of a planet, the Empire starts to convert its fauna and flora. It does take a bit of time to engineer and readjust a world before it can serve its new rulers, and thus it is not immediately contributing to the war effort. This also means a quick retaliation strike, before the changes come into effect, can be crippling to the Empire’s economy. However, the resilient physiology of the imperial populace gives them means to settle on planets normally uninhabitable by even the sturdiest species.

Name: grotsnik
Race: Mog-Ak

Original Description:
Species-0.1288 also know as Mog-Ak

Mog-Aks are well-known traders, they are very interested on alien
technologies and try to assimilate as much as possible. They are very loyal
to those who trade with them and those who chose not to are treated as
prey, just waiting to be robbed.
When not trading Mog-Aks usually act like pirates and mercenaries, they
are quite skilled with ships and close combat. They learn quickly and like
to use a great variety of weapons.
What stops them from becoming a serious threat is their lack of leadership.
They work on small factions and have a symbolic government. Their
decisions are based on the opinion of their most powerful factions.
This results in a penalty in research and on their internal economy, it’s very
difficult for them to expand when there are no races nearby. When at war
with other species their factions tend to band together and act as one
big faction. It’s very rare for them to fight themselves.

His Description:
‘Remember, gentlemen, that salvage from an abandoned vessel is the legal property of its finder, a just and sensible right of ownership that’s upheld by the highest laws of the Spindelve and by the rules and regulations of a considerable majority of the lesser species. With that in mind - we leave no survivors.’
The final words of legendary Mog-Ak corsair and trader Bor-Lis, moments before perishing in a Diwt sting operation aboard a Duuic-class freighter.

SENDER: MASKED. LOCATION: MASKED. RECIPIENT: MASKED. ENCRYPTION BEGINS.

My dear lady Gyze;

In every squalid marketplace, pirate colony and ruined world - wherever, in short, there are scraps of alien technology, curious gew-gaws, or devices of considerable power and more considerable risk to be found - there, most likely, will you see a Mog-Ak ‘historian’ or pirate, blinking furiously through his round yellow eyes, dressed in a fashionable urh-fur longcoat to keep away the chill, puffing away at an ornate pipe that’s packed with a smooth blend of poisonous hallucinogen* and with one hand at the bizarre-looking pistol at his belt, in case the local dealer foolishly decides that he’d prefer not to sell. Few traders who know the Mog-Ak, however, are tempted to refuse them; it is an unwritten law amongst their kind (as well as a matter of plain common sense) to treat their business partners fairly, to offer them protection, and to return to trade with them in the future.

Their methods of accumulating such technology appear deeply haphazard - indeed, completely random. This is almost certainly a strategy taught by the tutors of the species** to give the smaller raiding fleets of the Mog-Ak a distinct combat advantage against more uniformly trained opponents. Thus when an enemy captain observes a Mog-Ak cutter approaching on his starboard side, he has no idea whether to expect an Imperial cannon-burst, a blast of Ots jet-fuel to bring them alongside in a matter of seconds, or even something truly extraordinary that he has never encountered before and which he could not have possibly predicted. It should be noted that there is, of course, a financial element to the species’ love of the exotic (for such technologies sell for hefty sums in the halls of the Spindelve) and a combination of compulsive greed and personal vanity - this, I feel, could well be used against them.

In answer to your second question, my lady, the Mog-Ak offer no substantial threat to our plans. Their raiding fleets are impressive, certainly, equipped with all manner of gadgetry, and the corsairs themselves are surprisingly proficient in close combat, bristling with electrified lances, serrated blades and personalised small arms - for this reason, a Mog-Ak crew without a fleet to belong to may often find themselves hired as mercenaries. They lack, however, cohesive leadership; the Spindelve itself is a collective of dithering, easily-bought diplomats, widely-loathed weaklings who bicker and draw up over-complicated laws ignored by the entire species and murder one another in the black and ruined halls of the species’ first crashed mother-ship, the Kouk-Un, which according to the species’ myths fell from the stars more than eighty thousand years ago into the dust of their homeworld.***

The true decision-making comes from the great corpulent lords and trader-barons of the Mog-Ak pirate fleets - The Golden Purchase, The Scarlet Glory, The Bounty Of Tar-Ush. These elders have the power to issue decrees, and, more importantly, determine the latest fashionable technologies and affect market prices across various worlds. If a young Mog-Ak captain has a grievance, seeks the aid of a greater force, or needs a loan to purchase a particularly fascinating device, he will come before one of these barons - and, if he’s sensible, he’ll bring a substantial offering gift along with him and some appropriately eloquent words of flattery. Skill with language, after all, is revered by the Mog-Ak, as an important part of haggling and salesmanship, to the extent that, as far as I can tell, they will always attempt diplomatic overtures, with a palpable pleasure, before giving the order to attack an enemy fleet. The barons' wealth and influence is legendary, which means that there is, generally speaking, very little violence between Mog-Ak clans; captains engaging in acts of war against fellow Mog-Ak ships will quickly find that there is nobody left who’s willing to trade with them.

The researching abilities of the species, too, are limited by the nature of Mog-Ak society - there is no sustained central effort amongst their kind towards discovering new technologies, merely the piecemeal scavenging efforts of individuals; and these, too, can come to nothing when there are no other species in a particular solar system to pilfer from or trade with, resulting in the collapse of their internal barter-based economy.

Perhaps once in a generation, the Spindelve will successfully call a Grand Plunder - decreeing that the laws of fair trade no longer apply to an entire species (usually the result of some attack or grievance) who will, henceforth, be treated collectively as prey. Upon such an occasion, every captain and trader-baron will send their ships out on raids and even full-scale frenzied assaults against the chosen foe, although this is borne rather more out of a desire not to be shown up by their peers than out of any kind of respect for the parliament. Once the Plunder has ended, the fleets will traditionally return to the Spindelve to show off their looted technologies, and to trade. This last element, I think, might be of a great deal of use to us and our own plans.

My anatomical analyses are attached, as well as the blueprints of the Mog-Ak vessel I stowed away upon. I shall contact you promptly from my next location, with further information.

Ever yours,
Syfra.

* FIRST ADDENDUM- The Mog-Ak histories claim that the venom provides them with visions of the past life and, therefore, worth, of a particular technological device. My own anatomical experiments on an adult Mog-Ak suggest nothing of the kind. It seems likely that the action merely provides an addictive, slothful pleasure. Practically speaking, it may also serve as a status symbol, with older and more powerful Mog-Aks enjoying stronger blends without succumbing permanently to their deadly effects, and as a way of hardening their resistance to the subtle assassination attempts of which the younger and more ambitious members of the species are so fond.

**SECOND ADDENDUM- It appears to be a habit amongst the Mog-Ak, once they reach a certain age or have tired of trade and battle, to devote themselves to advising the young in the guise of an impartial tutor or ‘historian’ (a career that’s considered more honourable and far safer than joining the corrupt politics of the Spindelve), to the extent that most fleets will carry such an elder as a permanent member of their crew. To symbolise their retirement from adult Mog-Ak life, and to signify that they are no longer a threat and therefore unworthy of assassination, candidates will ceremonially geld themselves. Indeed, as I travelled upon a Mog-Ak cruiser in the guise of one of their own, I established a close rapport with the ship’s historian, who with a great deal of pride showed me his severed sex organs, which he kept pickled in a jar above his own bedchamber...a most peculiar custom.

***THIRD ADDENDUM- The homeworld on which the crashed mother-ship is located is a closely guarded secret, although visual recordings of the squabbling parliament are replayed on Mog-Ak ships, to the mocking delight of the captains. The records speak of swirling dust-storms and poison-water. I will endeavour to uncover more of this, my lady.

ENCRYPTION ENDS.

Name: Telengard
Race: Dugwart

Original Description:
Species-8.3452 also know as Dugwart

Dugwart comes from a natural toxic planet requiring them to carry those
toxic gases on their suits when exploring other planets. Those gases are
very corrosive so their suit has to be reinforced to withstand them.
This makes killing a Dugwart in close combat very risky. Dugwart
spaceships also have reinforced hulls.
Even though their home planet is toxic, it’s full of life with a vast amount of
plants and animals. Not only are Dugwarts able to colonize toxic planets
but they can also terraform them to resemble their home planet and thus
utilize the planet full potential.
In space combat Dugwarts have developed a unique missile that’s made
to penetrate the enemy ship and release those toxic gases so the ship
can be boarded. Some missiles design are even made to carry crew
within it.

His Description:
Dugwart

Homeworld: [homeworld name?]
The atmosphere of [homeworld name?] is thick with a number of corrosive and toxic gases. Most oxygen-breathing lifeforms cannot survive in this environment, but plants tend to thrive within it. [homeworld name?] is thus lush with plant life of all kinds – a world of dense jungles, towering forests, and enormous bogs.

The world is host to a wide variety of wildlife that breathes the deadly air as easily as others would breathe the air of a habitable world. The Dugwarts, too, draw their sustenance from the very toxins that would kill those who require an oxygen-rich atmosphere.

Ecology: As the Dugwarts need the toxin-rich atmosphere of their homeworld in order to breathe, they must wear environmental suits that supply them with breathable air when exploring other worlds. This makes killing a Dugwart in close combat a risky proposition, since any puncture in the suit will release deadly toxins into the air around the attacker.

Several of the toxic gases that the Dugwarts breath are also corrosive. Because of that, the Dugwarts' environmental suits are heavily reinforced. Their ships are similarly reinforced, since the Dugwarts don't wear their suits while onboard their own ships. They, of course, fill their ships with the air of their homeworld.

In Combat: Having discovered that the other races of the galaxy find the air of [homeworld name?] to be extremely deadly, the Dugwarts have developed a unique missile type. This missile is designed to just barely penetrate an enemy's hull while maintaining a tight seal, whereupon the missile will open up and flood the enemy ship with [homeworld name?] air, doing so with the intention of killing off the crew, and thus leaving the ship ready to be boarded. Some of the Dugwarts' larger [homeworld name?] Atmospheric Missile designs are even made to carry an assault crew, along with its toxic payload.

Colonization: Toxic, Terran, Desert, Ocean [guessing]

Not only are the Dugwarts able to colonize planets rated Toxic, but they can terraform any toxic planet to resemble their homeworld, and thus utilize that planet to its full potential.

Name: Anselmus

Original Description:

serve.

His Description:
Like begets like. So it was in the beginning, when the seed of the Universe cracked and it began its hungry expansions that continues to this day. So will it be in the end, when Nothing will reclaim all it has lost. This is the Law given to us by the greatest of our gods, a towering flame who made the rest like Him so that their ashes might form the stars, which shine as He did, and the planets which are our home. His sacrifice allowed life, which recreates itself in its offspring in testament to His law. It is this sacrifice that inspired our victory over your race, but it was your own flaws that allowed it. We do not come to oppress you, and we do not celebrate your defeat. We come to even your imperfections and perhaps even our own, to make both of us stronger. We are the torch that by its nature dispels the shadows it touches, we are Truth which roots out all ignorance. Our proof will be the paradise we work from the remains of your civilization. You and all other living beings were the proof, for you chose to join us who are us less alien to you than death. We will be the proof, for no Other will be there to dissent.

You have certainly heard rumors of our ways, but they are born of ignorance, fear, and, more likely than not, intentional falsehood. We are not like the One, you will not be shaped into some uniform unit unlike any other. You will keep your arbitrary quirks and personality traits, but will gain many physical advantages. None of our kind that you've encountered were lobotomized or otherwise pressed into service but joined willingly as you have. Such technologies were once tested, to be sure, and find occasional use in the rehabilitation of the most recalcitrant renegades but the resultant soldier could never compare to one who fights of his own volition. Further, we do not come as aggressors, only as living beings asserting our right of existence. We found your people fractured and, as were the majority of civilizations we've encountered, willing to commit the gravest of atrocities on their own kind. The few united peoples came together against a prior alien kind. If there were an alternate path we'd take it, we are not savages, but all life is struggle against the Other.

As you begin your assimilation you will come to learn all that we know, for we do not horde away truth from others of our kind. After your rehabilitation you will be the physical equal of all of your kind, for we do not horde away ability to preserve the vanity of individuals. After some time spent on education and a healthful dose of manual labor in agriculture or manufacturing you will be sorted into a more permanent career dependent on your particular expertise, mental abilities, and personal preferences. You will serve in the military, for we do not horde away the glory of self-preservation from any among us. Your own army surely learned this last is of the highest importance to us, as the sooner we wipe out all of our would-be oppressors, the sooner we might finally enjoy peace and security.May you live to see

the Empire fulfilled!,
Subcomandante Korg

Name: OlivettiFever
Race: Dugwart

Original Description:
Species-8.3452 also know as Dugwart

Dugwart comes from a natural toxic planet requiring them to carry those
toxic gases on their suits when exploring other planets. Those gases are
very corrosive so their suit has to be reinforced to withstand them.
This makes killing a Dugwart in close combat very risky. Dugwart
spaceships also have reinforced hulls.
Even though their home planet is toxic, it’s full of life with a vast amount of
plants and animals. Not only are Dugwarts able to colonize toxic planets
but they can also terraform them to resemble their home planet and thus
utilize the planet full potential.
In space combat Dugwarts have developed a unique missile that’s made
to penetrate the enemy ship and release those toxic gases so the ship
can be boarded. Some missiles design are even made to carry crew
within it.

His Description:
Had a close call with the Dugwart eighteen months ago out by Alpha Centauri. Big, heavily-armored, clumsy-lookin’ ships. We fired drones, rockets, lasers, ballistics—they just bounced off them, like pebbles skipping off a lake. They fire one missile at us, and then three decks are covered in blood and sputum, the bodies of my crew lying there with their lungs coughed out across the floor and blood pouring from their eye sockets.” - Cpt. Tydus Hollars, UHS Indefatiguable

The Dugwart are an imposing species of bipedal extraterrestrials, rarely seen outside their thick suits of heavily-reinforced armor. A complex system of valves and chemical seals keeps the corrosive gases of their homeworld’s atmosphere within the confines of their suit and its integrated breathing apparatus, and a sophisticated rebreather allows the Dugwart to operate for extended period of times outside their normal environment.

The heavy armor and formidable strength of the Dugwart, compounded with the toxic miasma of gases released with the puncture of their suit, makes close-combat a dangerous proposition for an ill-prepared assailant. They are slow but sturdy combatants, capable of sustaining shuddering blows with little effect.

Their combat style plays to their strengths in close-quarters. A typical Dugwart engagement consists of a quick bombardment with specialized missiles that release the gases into an enemy ship. Crews often die from the poisonous gases before being able to raise an effective defense, leaving the Dugwart to board and dispatch the remaining survivors at their leisure.

Though the atmosphere of their planet is unbreathable by all but a handful of species across the galaxy, the Dugwart homeworld is filled with a multitude of colorful flora and fauna. Their experience with toxic environments has given them the unique ability to terraform otherwise uninhabitable planets to resemble their homeworld, and to utilize the planet’s full potential.

tiagocc0

Arcane
I will probably write all the text, I will need a writer to redo everything as to correct it grammatically and make it more interesting.
It should be race descriptions, technology descriptions, components/weapons descriptions and a small campaign story.

tiagocc0

Arcane
The reason I'm asking is because I need to know how much I will ask in the Kickstarter campaign, it will still take a while before I have a finished demo.
If you think you can do it post links of your past work.. :takemymoney:

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
It sounds more like you need an editor, and you are being the writer. Anyone can edit your work who has a functional understanding of English. Shouldn't cost you much and you should be able to find anyone here to help out for minimal cash or GOG or Steam gifts (including me). For writing work, the typical going online rate is .02-.08 cents a word. As Haba says, we need more information.

tiagocc0

Arcane
It sounds more like you need an editor, and you are being the writer. Anyone can edit your work who has a functional understanding of English. Shouldn't cost you much and you should be able to find anyone here to help out for minimal cash or GOG or Steam gifts (including me). For writing work, the typical going online rate is .02-.08 cents a word. As Haba says, we need more information.

You can check this post I made (http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/race-brief-descriptions.77960/)
Here you can download the pdf with the race descriptions (http://purpleorangegames.com/pdf/StarLifePage2-12.pdf)

If it was to just fix the text I would agree with an Editor, but I want the writer to add things based on what's already there, like turn a short description into a full description.

Hmm, so 3000 USD at 0.08 should give me 37500 words?
My main documentation has about 4000 words right now and I haven't started component/technologies/story yet.
I think this is a reasonable price I will ask for 3k in the Kickstarter project then. Should be enough.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I just took a look at the pdf. Some great ideas there and good artwork, but it definitely needs some help in regards to grammar and vocabulary.

When you put out your offer, ask interested parties to try and submit a 500-1000 word explanation on what they would expand, how and why. For example, the gas the Orgons breathe will probably have an effect on their biology and interactions with other aliens, so someone who submits their idea might touch upon that. Consider having them also do a brief rewrite of what you have already done. Then make the contract with a hard expected completion date or dated gates for the completion of portions to be done, and have them sign.

grotsnik

Arcane
DT's right, you could probably get a few people here to help you out for nothing more than a few bob and a couple of games. If you like, I'll gladly send you my own CV, chock-full of impressive lies about my professional writing credentials.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
I've done my fair share of writing, and can send some samples also. I won the ENWorld Iron DM 2012 contest: http://www.enworld.org/forum/tabletop-gaming/323193-iron-dm-2012-r2-complete-finals-progress.html

And have a short story I'm quite proud of in the Ceramic DM 2012 contest: http://www.enworld.org/forum/tabletop-gaming/319460-ceramic-dm-march-2012-a-10.html#post5847923

I liked it perhaps a bit too much. I made a few grammar errors I could have fixed if I just walked away from it for a couple of hours and came back to edit. Those errors might have cost me the contest, but I was too eager to show off the work.

Anyway, there are plenty of amateur writers here and on other sites. I've found that anyone who reads a lot also has a desire to write.

tiagocc0

Arcane
I've done my fair share of writing, and can send some samples also. I won the ENWorld Iron DM 2012 contest: http://www.enworld.org/forum/tabletop-gaming/323193-iron-dm-2012-r2-complete-finals-progress.html

And have a short story I'm quite proud of in the Ceramic DM 2012 contest: http://www.enworld.org/forum/tabletop-gaming/319460-ceramic-dm-march-2012-a-10.html#post5847923

I liked it perhaps a bit too much. I made a few grammar errors I could have fixed if I just walked away from it for a couple of hours and came back to edit. Those errors might have cost me the contest, but I was too eager to show off the work.

Anyway, there are plenty of amateur writers here and on other sites. I've found that anyone who reads a lot also has a desire to write.
That's a lot of reading, =] I liked how they explained how you fared each step of the contest, I will read more later.

I just took a look at the pdf. Some great ideas there and good artwork, but it definitely needs some help in regards to grammar and vocabulary.

When you put out your offer, ask interested parties to try and submit a 500-1000 word explanation on what they would expand, how and why. For example, the gas the Orgons breathe will probably have an effect on their biology and interactions with other aliens, so someone who submits their idea might touch upon that. Consider having them also do a brief rewrite of what you have already done. Then make the contract with a hard expected completion date or dated gates for the completion of portions to be done, and have them sign.
Thanks for the advice, this will be very helpful!

DT's right, you could probably get a few people here to help you out for nothing more than a few bob and a couple of games. If you like, I'll gladly send you my own CV, chock-full of impressive lies about my professional writing credentials.
The best kind!
I think I will take DT's idea and make a post so anyone interested can submit a '500-1000 word explanation on what they would expand'.
But first I need to finish a lot of descriptions since I only have race descriptions so far.

Marsal

Arcane
Those are some mighty impressive credentials, Deuce. You should just gracefully bow out of the race, Grotsnik. No need to embarrass yourself further.

What the fuck is wrong with you, grotsnik? Don't belittle your skills. Other people will do that for you. You wrote a fine article couple of weeks ago. Lead with that! Don't be too modest. Ask for fair payment (share of the profits?). Look at the genius below you. He's proud of his "work"...

tiagocc0 I'd advise against multiple writers. You want consistent style and quality. Don't pay your writer with peanuts, Steam games or whatever fake currency. Create a professional relationship and expect quality work and punctual delivery by paying the dude fairly (you don't really need brilliant writing for a strategy game, so the pay should be relatively low).

tiagocc0

Arcane
Those are some mighty impressive credentials, Deuce. You should just gracefully bow out of the race, Grotsnik. No need to embarrass yourself further.

What the fuck is wrong with you, grotsnik? Don't belittle your skills. Other people will do that for you. You wrote a fine article couple of weeks ago. Lead with that! Don't be too modest. Ask for fair payment (share of the profits?). Look at the genius below you. He's proud of his "work"...

tiagocc0 I'd advise against multiple writers. You want consistent style and quality. Don't pay your writer with peanuts, Steam games or whatever fake currency. Create a professional relationship and expect quality work and punctual delivery by paying the dude fairly (you don't really need brilliant writing for a strategy game, so the pay should be relatively low).
Thanks, I don't mind paying those 3000 USD I will save for the writer if it's a good work, or even more if more is expected.
I do expect to work with just one writer, the submission is to check and choose one.

I'm actually working exactly like that, a share of the profits for those that believe in me and wants to work with me without charging and before the Kickstarter campaign.
I already have a team of 5.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Find a writer first and agree on a price before you pitch.

Saying I'll go find a writer after you give me money comes off as extremely weak.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron

Although Marshal is being cheeky, he's perfectly correct and I'm trying to stick my neck out a bit because $3000 is $3000 and I like money.

Stick with one writer and go on multiple sites to find him or her. You want someone with experience, is flexible to suggestions and can grasp the scientific ideas that you believe your game will need. There are multiple websites where you can put out a call for freelance writers. A lot of them come from tabletop and video game industries and have been paid in the past for such work. Hell, Wizards of the Coast is famous for laying off staff from their Dungeons and Dragons department every Christmas season, so you could probably mop up one of those experts for the $3000 you offer and that type of professional person could finish up in a month. The video game industry isn't much better when it comes to laying off their writers.

Update: I just read a post saying that Hasbro has a policy forcing WOTC writers to give up rights to any IP they are working on while employed by WOTC. Because of that, they are losing even more talented freelancers that could use some money: http://www.stannex.com/?p=2063

Updaten Zwei: Check out this website for freelancers: http://rpgfreelancer.com/

Marsal

Arcane
I may have been a little too assholish with my previous post, but my opinion doesn't really matter in the end. Maybe you really are the right guy for the job. I'm not a literary critic, what do I know.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
I may have been a little too assholish with my previous post, but my opinion doesn't really matter in the end. Maybe you really are the right guy for the job. I'm not a literary critic, what do I know.

No worries. If I don't get my dick slapped when I stick it out, I would be left to wonder if I was still on the Codex.

Marsal

Arcane

No worries. If I don't get my dick slapped when I stick it out, I would be left to wonder if I was still on the Codex.
That's a healthy attitude. There is always some idiot shitting on you. The trick is to look at you own work and see if he also happens to be right.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Saying I'll go find a writer after you give me money comes off as extremely weak.
Sorry, I re-read this again and again but I still can't make sense of it.

Everything about making a game and people working for free will come off as extremely weak.
Yet I have those 5 working with me, it's not a matter of acting cool or showing awesomeness, I presented my project and said tell me your price so when I make a Kickstarter campaign and if it works then I can hire you.
I can't make a Kickstarter project without knowing how much I have to ask for and in the end they told me they wanted to start right away, there was no need for the campaign.
I also have people who I already know the price and that are just waiting for the campaign to finish successfully so I can hire them.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Hire me. One $ weekly and I can write sexy.

Angthoron

Arcane
I would apply, but I'm in the middle of my thesis crunch-time. Will check in once I'm done, if you'll still need editor/co-writer, I might hit you up on it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom