Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hiring a writer - Vote on the writer you prefer!

Who should I hire for my upcoming game StarLife?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tiagocc0

Arcane
I would apply, but I'm in the middle of my thesis crunch-time. Will check in once I'm done, if you'll still need editor/co-writer, I might hit you up on it.
Nice, the kickstarter campaign is set to start on march/2013 so there's still plenty of time.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Saying I'll go find a writer after you give me money comes off as extremely weak.
Sorry, I re-read this again and again but I still can't make sense of it.

Everything about making a game and people working for free will come off as extremely weak.
Yet I have those 5 working with me, it's not a matter of acting cool or showing awesomeness, I presented my project and said tell me your price so when I make a Kickstarter campaign and if it works then I can hire you.
I can't make a Kickstarter project without knowing how much I have to ask for and in the end they told me they wanted to start right away, there was no need for the campaign.
I also have people who I already know the price and that are just waiting for the campaign to finish successfully so I can hire them.
I meant the kickstarter would appear weak.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Saying I'll go find a writer after you give me money comes off as extremely weak.
Sorry, I re-read this again and again but I still can't make sense of it.

Everything about making a game and people working for free will come off as extremely weak.
Yet I have those 5 working with me, it's not a matter of acting cool or showing awesomeness, I presented my project and said tell me your price so when I make a Kickstarter campaign and if it works then I can hire you.
I can't make a Kickstarter project without knowing how much I have to ask for and in the end they told me they wanted to start right away, there was no need for the campaign.
I also have people who I already know the price and that are just waiting for the campaign to finish successfully so I can hire them.
I meant the kickstarter would appear weak.
Ah, now that makes sense.
I would explain that I'm actually doing the text and the writer I would hire would add flavor to it.
The mechanics won't be made by the writer, he will work on existing mechanics that were already set.

tiagocc0

Arcane
I can do it. I can work for cheap, cause I'm a student and need the money.
Make me an offer. :P

:takemymoney: Come chap, there's more from where this came from!

Heh, jokes aside, since there may be peope interested in getting the position I will accept DT's suggestion.

Maybe we could run a competition, those interested would take one race from http://purpleorangegames.com/pdf/StarLifePage2-12.pdf and improve it.
And the Codex Collective will decide.

Those that lose shall be burned and eaten with ketchup!
:mob:

The winner will have the position, but should keep in mind that the Kickstarter campaign will start only in March/2013 and that it may fail. :(

Who's with me?

tiagocc0

Arcane
Now that I think about it I see that the competition is not fair, those with a desire or being burned and eaten will lose on purpose.

Angthoron

Arcane
Something like this on the very first race:

The Orgons are a race of small [size range or average recommended] humanoid [assumption/basic description could be good] creatures originating from a very special planet.

This planet closely orbits the sun, however, unlike a normal planet situated such a short distance away from a star, its atmospheric and surface temperatures are very low. This anomaly is caused by the presence of a rare gas that makes up for large percentage of the planet’s atmosphere, a gas that is coincidentally vital for the Orgons. Due to requiring the gas to breathe, the Orgons must carry it on their ships and produce it on their colony worlds.

The production of this gas is possible, however, it is an extremely lengthy process that consumes high amounts of colony resources, thus slowing down the construction of ships and hampering possible colony expansion.

The gas also has an unfortunate quality of turning liquid in colder temperatures, thus making colonization of cold planets a risky venture, and very few Orgons would volunteer to settle a world where any malfunction could lead to an agonizing death. Colonizing hot or temperate planets, on the other hand, bears much less risk and is therefore quite possible.

Due to carrying the life-sustaining gas on them at all times, the Orgons are highly vulnerable in close combat; however, they turn this necessity to their advantage with laser-based weaponry as the cold gas makes for an excellent coolant. The cooling potency of the gas is so great, in fact, that it can even be used to cool starship engines.

Through years of research, the Orgons have discovered a yet another application for the gas they breathe – converted to plasma, it can be used as a powerful weapon, as most would-be enemy ships are protected against intense heat, yet very few field good defense against extreme cold.

Mind you, this was a more or less a "rush job", depending on the time limits and desired quality/style this can be made to look very different; I also have no idea how much creative freedom there is, as I presume large part of the text is actually "hints" about game rules for the race. I also marked a couple of things that could require your input, like the general size of the Orgon dudes and other such stuff. It might be unimportant, but it can also be a nice detail, especially if you have some look for them already. The picture seemed to suggest these are humanoid so I rolled with it. Sentence order can also be switched around, depending on what you want to stress in the intro text (such as whether you want to explicitly recommend colonizing warmer planets or staying away from cold ones).

tiagocc0

Arcane
I'll do it but you'll have to pay first. I don't want to take the risk of getting scammed by you
I can hire you but I not would pay everything at once as I don't want to take the risk of getting scammed by you. :keepmymoney:

tiagocc0

Arcane
Something like this on the very first race:

The Orgons are a race of small [size range or average recommended] humanoid [assumption/basic description could be good] creatures originating from a very special planet.

This planet closely orbits the sun, however, unlike a normal planet situated such a short distance away from a star, its atmospheric and surface temperatures are very low. This anomaly is caused by the presence of a rare gas that makes up for large percentage of the planet’s atmosphere, a gas that is coincidentally vital for the Orgons. Due to requiring the gas to breathe, the Orgons must carry it on their ships and produce it on their colony worlds.

The production of this gas is possible, however, it is an extremely lengthy process that consumes high amounts of colony resources, thus slowing down the construction of ships and hampering possible colony expansion.

The gas also has an unfortunate quality of turning liquid in colder temperatures, thus making colonization of cold planets a risky venture, and very few Orgons would volunteer to settle a world where any malfunction could lead to an agonizing death. Colonizing hot or temperate planets, on the other hand, bears much less risk and is therefore quite possible.

Due to carrying the life-sustaining gas on them at all times, the Orgons are highly vulnerable in close combat; however, they turn this necessity to their advantage with laser-based weaponry as the cold gas makes for an excellent coolant. The cooling potency of the gas is so great, in fact, that it can even be used to cool starship engines.

Through years of research, the Orgons have discovered a yet another application for the gas they breathe – converted to plasma, it can be used as a powerful weapon, as most would-be enemy ships are protected against intense heat, yet very few field good defense against extreme cold.

Mind you, this was a more or less a "rush job", depending on the time limits and desired quality/style this can be made to look very different; I also have no idea how much creative freedom there is, as I presume large part of the text is actually "hints" about game rules for the race. I also marked a couple of things that could require your input, like the general size of the Orgon dudes and other such stuff. It might be unimportant, but it can also be a nice detail, especially if you have some look for them already. The picture seemed to suggest these are humanoid so I rolled with it. Sentence order can also be switched around, depending on what you want to stress in the intro text (such as whether you want to explicitly recommend colonizing warmer planets or staying away from cold ones).

That's great, we got our first candidate.
Thank you for taking your time to write it.

Anybody else wants to participate?

Marsal

Arcane
Maybe we could run a competition, those interested would take one race from http://purpleorangegames.com/pdf/StarLifePage2-12.pdf and improve it.

So the Codex decides? Hmmm...

Mog-Ak are space Jews.

Short, succinct and to the point. Do I get to eat all the losers or are they chopped up and distributed among the Codexians?

tiagocc0

Arcane

So the Codex decides? Hmmm...

Mog-Ak are space Jews.

Short, succinct and to the point. Do I get to eat all the losers or are they chopped up and distributed among the Codexians?
Hahah :takemyjewgold:

Chopped up and distributed, none shall feel hunger as long as I rule.. this thread!

Anybody else wants to participate?
I definitely will. When's the deadline?
How about until next friday? 7 of december
Should be plenty of time for everyone.

Angthoron, you may edit your description further if you so desire! ;)

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
none shall feel hunger as long as I rule.. this thread!
8352.jpg

sser

Arcane
Developer
You should demonstrate what kind of writing you want. Some people like that "this is a codex" style, where the reading feels like a naturalist taking notes on his journey (e.g. Darwin); and then there's the more historical approach which was used in the Homeworld manuals and the early Blizzard games. There's also the question of "Do you want gameplay elements here?" Blizzard's old manuals had a mix, as did Homeworld's. They would explain factions and units, with some exposition, and then have a separate section devoted to background information and history and all that.

Right now, these entries need a lot of editing. Here's something I just tossed together. I couldn't really copy-paste out of the PDF so I just rewrote it real quick. I dunno how you make it a drop down menu so I'll just quote it:

An aggressive, warring faction, the Empire’s presence is one of the most feared in the galaxy. Though their legions appear monolithic, the Empire’s armies are an amalgamation of every species they have conquered. In victory, the Empire assimilates its fallen foes – recruiting them right into their own ranks through genetic modification. The complete lack of desertion, or even the concept of morale, makes many believe that the Empire’s troops have been divested of self-identity. It is unknown who, or what, is at the center of the mysterious faction.

[And then maybe have gameplay notes separate? For example:]

Faction Attributes: The Empire’s devotion to war and conquest gives the faction bonuses in combat, starship production, and weapons research.
Assimilating a planet takes longer than other factions, but once finished the conversion is total – there are no remnants of the previous owner’s presence.
Because the Empire’s forces are genetically modified they are able to live in even the most dangerous of planetary atmospheres.

tiagocc0

Arcane
You should demonstrate what kind of writing you want. Some people like that "this is a codex" style, where the reading feels like a naturalist taking notes on his journey (e.g. Darwin); and then there's the more historical approach which was used in the Homeworld manuals and the early Blizzard games. There's also the question of "Do you want gameplay elements here?" Blizzard's old manuals had a mix, as did Homeworld's. They would explain factions and units, with some exposition, and then have a separate section devoted to background information and history and all that.

Right now, these entries need a lot of editing. Here's something I just tossed together. I couldn't really copy-paste out of the PDF so I just rewrote it real quick. I dunno how you make it a drop down menu so I'll just quote it:

An aggressive, warring faction, the Empire’s presence is one of the most feared in the galaxy. Though their legions appear monolithic, the Empire’s armies are an amalgamation of every species they have conquered. In victory, the Empire assimilates its fallen foes – recruiting them right into their own ranks through genetic modification. The complete lack of desertion, or even the concept of morale, makes many believe that the Empire’s troops have been divested of self-identity. It is unknown who, or what, is at the center of the mysterious faction.

[And then maybe have gameplay notes separate? For example:]

Faction Attributes: The Empire’s devotion to war and conquest gives the faction bonuses in combat, starship production, and weapons research.
Assimilating a planet takes longer than other factions, but once finished the conversion is total – there are no remnants of the previous owner’s presence.
Because the Empire’s forces are genetically modified they are able to live in even the most dangerous of planetary atmospheres.

Thanks sser. I haven't thought much about this, whichever style is fine right now. I'm more interested in how you write then how will be the final format of the description.
But it's great you touched the subject and presented a different style, I like how it turned out.

tiagocc0

Arcane
I'm off to bed, tomorrow I will have to spend all day at work so I might not be able to answer quickly. ;)

sser

Arcane
Developer
Thanks sser. I haven't thought much about this, whichever style is fine right now. I'm more interested in how you write then how will be the final format of the description.
But it's great you touched the subject and presented a different style, I like how it turned out.

Back when manuals existed, I would often spend more time reading them than playing the game. There's just something cool about a nicely done manual. Unfortunately, modern/future gamers will have no idea whatsoever of how things used to be.

Anyway, consider me as part of the pool of people looking for the job (currently unemployed and bored). I can't talk pricing/contract without knowing the total amount of work, though. I can say I am seeking more credentials so I'd be willing to speak jive and dance jigs for cheap.

Angthoron

Arcane

Yes, this is quite important to decide.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom