Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hiring a writer - Vote on the writer you prefer!

Who should I hire for my upcoming game StarLife?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
My rewrite of the One:

The origins and motivations of the One are a matter of ongoing speculation among scientists. Some theories postulate that the One is a singular being comprised of a vast network of supercomputers, able to enact its will through the manipulation of robotic drones. Others push the theory that the One is a network of various artificial intelligences connected together via technology that allows for realtime communication across large distances and able to come into a consensus of action within microseconds.

The One's spaceships and drones are devoid of organic life, giving an edge in ship construction as life support systems are not included in the One's vessels, and an additional benefit of being able to operate more efficiently in combat when gravity is a factor. The One is unable to research new technologies because of a lack of initiative and imagination, a handicap that has resulted in the One excelling at reverse engineering innovations from other races and improving upon them.

There have been fragmented and rare reports of different vessels from the One firing upon one another. The 'Singulists' believe this is part of a cleansing cycle where the One destroys obsolete or faulty equipment. The 'Groupies' point to these reports as evidence that the One is actually a group of artificial intelligences that sometimes disagree to the point that it leads to the destruction of the minority opinion. Whatever the case, the tales make clear that the resulting actions are sudden, violent and brief.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Thanks sser. I haven't thought much about this, whichever style is fine right now. I'm more interested in how you write then how will be the final format of the description.
But it's great you touched the subject and presented a different style, I like how it turned out.

Back when manuals existed, I would often spend more time reading them than playing the game. There's just something cool about a nicely done manual. Unfortunately, modern/future gamers will have no idea whatsoever of how things used to be.

Anyway, consider me as part of the pool of people looking for the job (currently unemployed and bored). I can't talk pricing/contract without knowing the total amount of work, though. I can say I am seeking more credentials so I'd be willing to speak jive and dance jigs for cheap.
I liked to read manuals too, but most sucked and then they just became a tiny pamphlet. You're in!

You should demonstrate what kind of writing you want. Some people like that "this is a codex" style, where the reading feels like a naturalist taking notes on his journey (e.g. Darwin); and then there's the more historical approach which was used in the Homeworld manuals and the early Blizzard games. There's also the question of "Do you want gameplay elements here?" Blizzard's old manuals had a mix, as did Homeworld's. They would explain factions and units, with some exposition, and then have a separate section devoted to background information and history and all that.

Yes, this is quite important to decide.
Agreed. I will look into it.

My rewrite of the One:

The origins and motivations of the One are a matter of ongoing speculation among scientists. Some theories postulate that the One is a singular being comprised of a vast network of supercomputers, able to enact its will through the manipulation of robotic drones. Others push the theory that the One is a network of various artificial intelligences connected together via technology that allows for realtime communication across large distances and able to come into a consensus of action within microseconds.

The One's spaceships and drones are devoid of organic life, giving an edge in ship construction as life support systems are not included in the One's vessels, and an additional benefit of being able to operate more efficiently in combat when gravity is a factor. The One is unable to research new technologies because of a lack of initiative and imagination, a handicap that has resulted in the One excelling at reverse engineering innovations from other races and improving upon them.

There have been fragmented and rare reports of different vessels from the One firing upon one another. The 'Singulists' believe this is part of a cleansing cycle where the One destroys obsolete or faulty equipment. The 'Groupies' point to these reports as evidence that the One is actually a group of artificial intelligences that sometimes disagree to the point that it leads to the destruction of the minority opinion. Whatever the case, the tales make clear that the resulting actions are sudden, violent and brief.
Thanks DT, one more to the fight! Great text by the way.

Angthoron

Arcane
Angthoron, you may edit your description further if you so desire! ;)

I might just do another entry altogether. The point of the first one was to show off my rock bottom "Do it now!" type of writing that I presume might be sometimes required. Got any style (and/or entry) in particular that you'd like to see employed/remade? I could try to go for that and see how that goes.

tiagocc0

Arcane

I might just do another entry altogether. The point of the first one was to show off my rock bottom "Do it now!" type of writing that I presume might be sometimes required. Got any style (and/or entry) in particular that you'd like to see employed/remade? I could try to go for that and see how that goes.
No problem, I think your first attempt is really well done, will be great to see another entry! How about Humans? You can do any style you prefer. The final style of the descriptions will be chosen later with the winner.

Angthoron

Arcane

No problem, I think your first attempt is really well done, will be great to see another entry! How about Humans? You can do any style you prefer. The final style of the descriptions will be chosen later with the winner.
Sure, humans it is.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
My entry. Sorry for being so late, I had a lot on my mind and couldn't get to it properly.

My take on the Empire isn't exactly literal to what you wrote in the design doc. Hope it's not a problem, I just wanted to make the race fit what I felt was coherent. For me, the plan, both fluff and game-wise, is to make the Empire an early game powerhouse. They'd have good basic technology and powerful early units, but with struggling economy. Keeping them efficient and competetive in the long run would require a lot of skill.

Nobody knows the origins of the Empire, how it was formed or by whom. Scientists speculate that a once peaceful race, the Lirri, endured some kind of disastrous genetic disease which made them seek salvation by means of complex genome modifications. Unfortunately, the process went wrong, and the newly created creatures turned on their masters and, not encountering any resistance, quickly conquered the planet. Soon, there were no Lirri. There was only the Empire.

The Empire conquers and assimilates. Subjugation is their only goal. They do not reproduce – they capture other species, modify them, and make them one with the Empire. They do not grow food – they take it from the weaker. They do not research – they capture alien technology and meld it with their own, to further improve the genome and the means of destruction. They cannot stop invading, for once they do, they will cease to exist.

Imperial warriors are genetically engineered to be unparalleled in the arts of war. They are strong, extremely tough, and their prowess in piloting and shooting is second to none. No other species can stand up to them both physically and in terms of skill, which offsets technological inferiority.

There is no ‘I’ in the Empire. Every member of the “species” works towards the common goal without doubt or hesitation. Loyalty is imprinted in their genes. Only random mutations of the genome can circumvent it. Those are few and far between, however, and the Empire takes great care to eradicate every imperfection. Espionage is therefore not recommended as a weapon of choice against this race.

Upon gaining control of a planet, the Empire starts to convert its fauna and flora. It does take a bit of time to engineer and readjust a world before it can serve its new rulers, and thus it is not immediately contributing to the war effort. This also means a quick retaliation strike, before the changes come into effect, can be crippling to the Empire’s economy. However, the resilient physiology of the imperial populace gives them means to settle on planets normally uninhabitable by even the sturdiest species.

FINAL ASSESSMENT: Extremely dangerous. Need to be stopped at any cost.

tiagocc0

Arcane
My entry. Sorry for being so late, I had a lot on my mind and couldn't get to it properly.

My take on the Empire isn't exactly literal to what you wrote in the design doc. Hope it's not a problem, I just wanted to make the race fit what I felt was coherent. For me, the plan, both fluff and game-wise, is to make the Empire an early game powerhouse. They'd have good basic technology and powerful early units, but with struggling economy. Keeping them efficient and competetive in the long run would require a lot of skill.

Nobody knows the origins of the Empire, how it was formed or by whom. Scientists speculate that a once peaceful race, the Lirri, endured some kind of disastrous genetic disease which made them seek salvation by means of complex genome modifications. Unfortunately, the process went wrong, and the newly created creatures turned on their masters and, not encountering any resistance, quickly conquered the planet. Soon, there were no Lirri. There was only the Empire.

The Empire conquers and assimilates. Subjugation is their only goal. They do not reproduce – they capture other species, modify them, and make them one with the Empire. They do not grow food – they take it from the weaker. They do not research – they capture alien technology and meld it with their own, to further improve the genome and the means of destruction. They cannot stop invading, for once they do, they will cease to exist.

Imperial warriors are genetically engineered to be unparalleled in the arts of war. They are strong, extremely tough, and their prowess in piloting and shooting is second to none. No other species can stand up to them both physically and in terms of skill, which offsets technological inferiority.

There is no ‘I’ in the Empire. Every member of the “species” works towards the common goal without doubt or hesitation. Loyalty is imprinted in their genes. Only random mutations of the genome can circumvent it. Those are few and far between, however, and the Empire takes great care to eradicate every imperfection. Espionage is therefore not recommended as a weapon of choice against this race.

Upon gaining control of a planet, the Empire starts to convert its fauna and flora. It does take a bit of time to engineer and readjust a world before it can serve its new rulers, and thus it is not immediately contributing to the war effort. This also means a quick retaliation strike, before the changes come into effect, can be crippling to the Empire’s economy. However, the resilient physiology of the imperial populace gives them means to settle on planets normally uninhabitable by even the sturdiest species.

FINAL ASSESSMENT: Extremely dangerous. Need to be stopped at any cost.

Very interesting! Thanks for your entry!

grotsnik

Arcane
Ok, I had a go at Mog-Ak. Mostly because that pipe's awesome.

‘Remember, gentlemen, that salvage from an abandoned vessel is the legal property of its finder, a just and sensible right of ownership that’s upheld by the highest laws of the Spindelve and by the rules and regulations of a considerable majority of the lesser species. With that in mind - we leave no survivors.’
The final words of legendary Mog-Ak corsair and trader Bor-Lis, moments before perishing in a Diwt sting operation aboard a Duuic-class freighter.

SENDER: MASKED. LOCATION: MASKED. RECIPIENT: MASKED. ENCRYPTION BEGINS.

My dear lady Gyze;

In every squalid marketplace, pirate colony and ruined world - wherever, in short, there are scraps of alien technology, curious gew-gaws, or devices of considerable power and more considerable risk to be found - there, most likely, will you see a Mog-Ak ‘historian’ or pirate, blinking furiously through his round yellow eyes, dressed in a fashionable urh-fur longcoat to keep away the chill, puffing away at an ornate pipe that’s packed with a smooth blend of poisonous hallucinogen* and with one hand at the bizarre-looking pistol at his belt, in case the local dealer foolishly decides that he’d prefer not to sell. Few traders who know the Mog-Ak, however, are tempted to refuse them; it is an unwritten law amongst their kind (as well as a matter of plain common sense) to treat their business partners fairly, to offer them protection, and to return to trade with them in the future.

Their methods of accumulating such technology appear deeply haphazard - indeed, completely random. This is almost certainly a strategy taught by the tutors of the species** to give the smaller raiding fleets of the Mog-Ak a distinct combat advantage against more uniformly trained opponents. Thus when an enemy captain observes a Mog-Ak cutter approaching on his starboard side, he has no idea whether to expect an Imperial cannon-burst, a blast of Ots jet-fuel to bring them alongside in a matter of seconds, or even something truly extraordinary that he has never encountered before and which he could not have possibly predicted. It should be noted that there is, of course, a financial element to the species’ love of the exotic (for such technologies sell for hefty sums in the halls of the Spindelve) and a combination of compulsive greed and personal vanity - this, I feel, could well be used against them.

In answer to your second question, my lady, the Mog-Ak offer no substantial threat to our plans. Their raiding fleets are impressive, certainly, equipped with all manner of gadgetry, and the corsairs themselves are surprisingly proficient in close combat, bristling with electrified lances, serrated blades and personalised small arms - for this reason, a Mog-Ak crew without a fleet to belong to may often find themselves hired as mercenaries. They lack, however, cohesive leadership; the Spindelve itself is a collective of dithering, easily-bought diplomats, widely-loathed weaklings who bicker and draw up over-complicated laws ignored by the entire species and murder one another in the black and ruined halls of the species’ first crashed mother-ship, the Kouk-Un, which according to the species’ myths fell from the stars more than eighty thousand years ago into the dust of their homeworld.***

The true decision-making comes from the great corpulent lords and trader-barons of the Mog-Ak pirate fleets - The Golden Purchase, The Scarlet Glory, The Bounty Of Tar-Ush. These elders have the power to issue decrees, and, more importantly, determine the latest fashionable technologies and affect market prices across various worlds. If a young Mog-Ak captain has a grievance, seeks the aid of a greater force, or needs a loan to purchase a particularly fascinating device, he will come before one of these barons - and, if he’s sensible, he’ll bring a substantial offering gift along with him and some appropriately eloquent words of flattery. Skill with language, after all, is revered by the Mog-Ak, as an important part of haggling and salesmanship, to the extent that, as far as I can tell, they will always attempt diplomatic overtures, with a palpable pleasure, before giving the order to attack an enemy fleet. The barons' wealth and influence is legendary, which means that there is, generally speaking, very little violence between Mog-Ak clans; captains engaging in acts of war against fellow Mog-Ak ships will quickly find that there is nobody left who’s willing to trade with them.

The researching abilities of the species, too, are limited by the nature of Mog-Ak society - there is no sustained central effort amongst their kind towards discovering new technologies, merely the piecemeal scavenging efforts of individuals; and these, too, can come to nothing when there are no other species in a particular solar system to pilfer from or trade with, resulting in the collapse of their internal barter-based economy.

Perhaps once in a generation, the Spindelve will successfully call a Grand Plunder - decreeing that the laws of fair trade no longer apply to an entire species (usually the result of some attack or grievance) who will, henceforth, be treated collectively as prey. Upon such an occasion, every captain and trader-baron will send their ships out on raids and even full-scale frenzied assaults against the chosen foe, although this is borne rather more out of a desire not to be shown up by their peers than out of any kind of respect for the parliament. Once the Plunder has ended, the fleets will traditionally return to the Spindelve to show off their looted technologies, and to trade. This last element, I think, might be of a great deal of use to us and our own plans.

My anatomical analyses are attached, as well as the blueprints of the Mog-Ak vessel I stowed away upon. I shall contact you promptly from my next location, with further information.

Ever yours,
Syfra.

* FIRST ADDENDUM- The Mog-Ak histories claim that the venom provides them with visions of the past life and, therefore, worth, of a particular technological device. My own anatomical experiments on an adult Mog-Ak suggest nothing of the kind. It seems likely that the action merely provides an addictive, slothful pleasure. Practically speaking, it may also serve as a status symbol, with older and more powerful Mog-Aks enjoying stronger blends without succumbing permanently to their deadly effects, and as a way of hardening their resistance to the subtle assassination attempts of which the younger and more ambitious members of the species are so fond.

**SECOND ADDENDUM- It appears to be a habit amongst the Mog-Ak, once they reach a certain age or have tired of trade and battle, to devote themselves to advising the young in the guise of an impartial tutor or ‘historian’ (a career that’s considered more honourable and far safer than joining the corrupt politics of the Spindelve), to the extent that most fleets will carry such an elder as a permanent member of their crew. To symbolise their retirement from adult Mog-Ak life, and to signify that they are no longer a threat and therefore unworthy of assassination, candidates will ceremonially geld themselves. Indeed, as I travelled upon a Mog-Ak cruiser in the guise of one of their own, I established a close rapport with the ship’s historian, who with a great deal of pride showed me his severed sex organs, which he kept pickled in a jar above his own bedchamber...a most peculiar custom.

***THIRD ADDENDUM- The homeworld on which the crashed mother-ship is located is a closely guarded secret, although visual recordings of the squabbling parliament are replayed on Mog-Ak ships, to the mocking delight of the captains. The records speak of swirling dust-storms and poison-water. I will endeavour to uncover more of this, my lady.

ENCRYPTION ENDS.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Thanks grotsnik! Entry added!
This is a really different approach, this will be interesting!

tiagocc0

Arcane
Okay guys, I updated the first post with the entries, tomorrow I will start a poll!

tiagocc0

Arcane
Just found this now. I'm gonna shoot one off the top of my head when I get out of class in a couple of hours. If you don't mind including it tomorrow that would be swell, but the Empire is characterized by a few things I was meditating on recently so it'll be as good a place to dump some thoughts as any. Grotsnik can take from it what he will when he gets hired.

Thanks, I will wait for your entry.

EDIT: I'm waiting for Angthoron entry as well.

Angthoron

Arcane
Bah, humbug. Had a rather busy week, so only managed to get to write a bit today. Not entirely happy with it - might write something on the weekend still. Anyway, first bit is again an "edit" of your original entry.

Curious by nature, the Humans have gained quite the reputation for their advanced technologies, ingenious solutions and inquisitive minds, although their desire to play god with robots and artificial intelligence is often regarded as a threat by other species. On the other hand, perhaps due to this, they are one of the very few races that can maintain peaceful coexistence with alien AI species.

The Humans are fascinated by artificial intelligence and robots – in part due to being, at the core, a curious yet lazy species that enjoys delegating the menial tasks to stronger, more patient assistants and tools. Thanks to their pedantic mechanized workforce, the Human spaceships are some of the best in the known Universe – however, no sane species is willing to share their know-how of weapon making, thus leaving human military fleets armed with average weaponry at best.

It is not only the Humans’ inferior weaponry that makes the Universe sigh with ease, however. Due to their turbulent past, shifting ideals and the ever-fragmented political factions struggles for dominance, the Humans lack the unity necessary to truly impose their will upon the neighbouring species. Yet, just as with everything else about the Human ways, it is impossible to truly tell how long this division will last.

The second is a letter from a human to another, about working on an Orgon ship (I'm not sure if that's possible, but I guess under some extreme circumstances they could take on a temporary navigator assistant). This one's meant to contrast the two species in one go, and I'd say it's one of those "fluff" type elements. Then again, I've always loved having "fluff" in my manuals.

Dear Milli,

Under some of the most incredible circumstances, I was accepted as an assistant navigator for an Orgon corvette. It is an amazing piece of work, I tell you, a real marvel of modern engineering, and imagine this, Milli, it was handmade! Well, relatively handmade, at any rate. These fellows aren’t very fond of robots, you see, they just make things with the bare minimum of automation. When I mentioned that I could get them a couple of last-gen deckhand droids with a good discount, I swear, they look as indignant as a politician accused of taking bribes! Their icy stares could almost pierce my suit and turn me into ice.

That’s right, my suit. No, I’ve not taken to wearing uniform yet, cast away your fantasies. I’m wearing an environmental suit at all times, however, except for when I’m in my own quarters – see, Orgon breathe some sort of frigid gas, and as it’s their own ship, they’ve naturally not geared it for humans’ purposes. Well, they did have one of their quarters, I presume for transportation of prisoners, set up for me to breathe in, so that’s where I’m staying when I’m not on duty. Poor sods, though, they have to keep up the right temperature in their suits when they go outside, and while you might agree and think that it's what we do, too, well, at least we don't suffer the risk of drowning in our suits should the temperature fall a little too low. That's how I got this job, actually - my predecessor's suit had failed on shore leave, and we're (slowly) headed to receive an assigned replacement.

It’s a boring job, I’ll tell you that. Their AIs are extremely basic, and they seem hostile whenever I bring up the topic of upgrading. The First Mate even reprimanded the whole of mankind on one occasion, nearly spilling his drink as he (I think) raged about our “irresponsible games” with “things we don’t understand”. Well, sure, we don’t understand anything about Artificial Intelligence, that’s must be why The One are our cordial allies, and why our colonies are built by gangs of happy droids.

In any case, I have to tell you about the corvette. It is amazing – despite being hand-made, this thing is powerful – their engines could be as good as ours, easily, thanks to this weird gas of theirs. It keeps them cool when any other tech but ours would have the thing be tearing apart. Still, it’s not the engines that are the amazing part about this ship, it’s the weaponry. Milli, our weapons are the proverbial Stone Age compared to their plasma weaponry! I’ve seen it fired just this once as we were requested to destroy a pirate vessel harassing a trade route, but it made a lasting impression in my mind. It froze their ship, so to speak – the Orgons later explained that it shoots some sort of freezing plasma that they get out of that gas of theirs somehow. That pirate never stood a chance.

So how are things at home? Last I heard, seemed like another pre-election scandal. I caught a bit of it on the news, things looked wild. Did Tim Campbell really punch that old cow-face Ziemniaksson in front of the journalists? Amazing! I hope it doesn’t affect your life too much, though I wonder if you’ve still got faith in the United Democratic Alliance like you once did, or if your fascination with their “honest” politics is finally over. If they were so honest, why could they not secure us deals with the Orgon while they were in control? With our ships and droids, our science, our ambition, we could easily own this universe, but will we ever? No. I’m telling you, the Orgon are amused when I try to explain them our politics. That, or confused, I can’t always tell. They tell me we’re wasting our time, and you know, as alien as these creatures are, I’m starting to think they’re right.

Anyway, that’s enough of my ranting. Now that I’m in civilized parts of the universe again, I’ll be in touch more often – and I’m sure I’ll be coming home soon. Take care.

Love,
Harold

tiagocc0

Arcane
Thanks Angthoron, tomorrow I will start the poll, after that I won't accept more descriptions but you may post it here if you want.
I will update the first post, ;)

Telengard

Arcane
'Kay, I'll play too. Went with the Dugwarts, because I'm a fan of 'em.

I'm an organizer- as you'll see.

Note: The name of the homeworld wasn't listed in the description of these guys, and I didn't want to be so presumptious as to name it myself, particularly if it was named somewhere else so that area is just bracketed.

Dugwart

Homeworld: [homeworld name?]
The atmosphere of [homeworld name?] is thick with a number of corrosive and toxic gases. Most oxygen-breathing lifeforms cannot survive in this environment, but plants tend to thrive within it. [homeworld name?] is thus lush with plant life of all kinds – a world of dense jungles, towering forests, and enormous bogs.

The world is host to a wide variety of wildlife that breathes the deadly air as easily as others would breathe the air of a habitable world. The Dugwarts, too, draw their sustenance from the very toxins that would kill those who require an oxygen-rich atmosphere.

Ecology: As the Dugwarts need the toxin-rich atmosphere of their homeworld in order to breathe, they must wear environmental suits that supply them with breathable air when exploring other worlds. This makes killing a Dugwart in close combat a risky proposition, since any puncture in the suit will release deadly toxins into the air around the attacker.

Several of the toxic gases that the Dugwarts breath are also corrosive. Because of that, the Dugwarts' environmental suits are heavily reinforced. Their ships are similarly reinforced, since the Dugwarts don't wear their suits while onboard their own ships. They, of course, fill their ships with the air of their homeworld.

In Combat: Having discovered that the other races of the galaxy find the air of [homeworld name?] to be extremely deadly, the Dugwarts have developed a unique missile type. This missile is designed to just barely penetrate an enemy's hull while maintaining a tight seal, whereupon the missile will open up and flood the enemy ship with [homeworld name?] air, doing so with the intention of killing off the crew, and thus leaving the ship ready to be boarded. Some of the Dugwarts' larger [homeworld name?] Atmospheric Missile designs are even made to carry an assault crew, along with its toxic payload.

Colonization: Toxic, Terran, Desert, Ocean [guessing]

Not only are the Dugwarts able to colonize planets rated Toxic, but they can terraform any toxic planet to resemble their homeworld, and thus utilize that planet to its full potential.

tiagocc0

Arcane
'Kay, I'll play too. Went with the Dugwarts, because I'm a fan of 'em.

I'm an organizer- as you'll see.

Note: The name of the homeworld wasn't listed in the description of these guys, and I didn't want to be so presumptious as to name it myself, particularly if it was named somewhere else so that area is just bracketed.

Dugwart

Homeworld: [homeworld name?]
The atmosphere of [homeworld name?] is thick with a number of corrosive and toxic gases. Most oxygen-breathing lifeforms cannot survive in this environment, but plants tend to thrive within it. [homeworld name?] is thus lush with plant life of all kinds – a world of dense jungles, towering forests, and enormous bogs.

The world is host to a wide variety of wildlife that breathes the deadly air as easily as others would breathe the air of a habitable world. The Dugwarts, too, draw their sustenance from the very toxins that would kill those who require an oxygen-rich atmosphere.

Ecology: As the Dugwarts need the toxin-rich atmosphere of their homeworld in order to breathe, they must wear environmental suits that supply them with breathable air when exploring other worlds. This makes killing a Dugwart in close combat a risky proposition, since any puncture in the suit will release deadly toxins into the air around the attacker.

Several of the toxic gases that the Dugwarts breath are also corrosive. Because of that, the Dugwarts' environmental suits are heavily reinforced. Their ships are similarly reinforced, since the Dugwarts don't wear their suits while onboard their own ships. They, of course, fill their ships with the air of their homeworld.

In Combat: Having discovered that the other races of the galaxy find the air of [homeworld name?] to be extremely deadly, the Dugwarts have developed a unique missile type. This missile is designed to just barely penetrate an enemy's hull while maintaining a tight seal, whereupon the missile will open up and flood the enemy ship with [homeworld name?] air, doing so with the intention of killing off the crew, and thus leaving the ship ready to be boarded. Some of the Dugwarts' larger [homeworld name?] Atmospheric Missile designs are even made to carry an assault crew, along with its toxic payload.

Colonization: Toxic, Terran, Desert, Ocean [guessing]

Not only are the Dugwarts able to colonize planets rated Toxic, but they can terraform any toxic planet to resemble their homeworld, and thus utilize that planet to its full potential.
Nice! Thanks Telengard, entry accepted!

OlivettiFever

Educated
Had a close call with the Dugwart eighteen months ago out by Alpha Centauri. Big, heavily-armored, clumsy-lookin’ ships. We fired drones, rockets, lasers, ballistics—they just bounced off them, like pebbles skipping off a lake. They fire one missile at us, and then three decks are covered in blood and sputum, the bodies of my crew lying there with their lungs coughed out across the floor and blood pouring from their eye sockets.” - Cpt. Tydus Hollars, UHS Indefatiguable

The Dugwart are an imposing species of bipedal extraterrestrials, rarely seen outside their thick suits of heavily-reinforced armor. A complex system of valves and chemical seals keeps the corrosive gases of their homeworld’s atmosphere within the confines of their suit and its integrated breathing apparatus, and a sophisticated rebreather allows the Dugwart to operate for extended period of times outside their normal environment.

The heavy armor and formidable strength of the Dugwart, compounded with the toxic miasma of gases released with the puncture of their suit, makes close-combat a dangerous proposition for an ill-prepared assailant. They are slow but sturdy combatants, capable of sustaining shuddering blows with little effect.

Their combat style plays to their strengths in close-quarters. A typical Dugwart engagement consists of a quick bombardment with specialized missiles that release the gases into an enemy ship. Crews often die from the poisonous gases before being able to raise an effective defense, leaving the Dugwart to board and dispatch the remaining survivors at their leisure.

Though the atmosphere of their planet is unbreathable by all but a handful of species across the galaxy, the Dugwart homeworld is filled with a multitude of colorful flora and fauna. Their experience with toxic environments has given them the unique ability to terraform otherwise uninhabitable planets to resemble their homeworld, and to utilize the planet’s full potential.

Thought I'd give it a shot. Best of luck, all.

Angthoron

Arcane
Tipsy and unable to sleep, here's a couple of entries on Empire.

The vastness of the Universe contains countless terrors and enigmas. The Empire is one of them. A mysterious collection of species, the citizens of the Empire have certainly not joined it of their own will, yet their looks will ever betray their allegiance. This look, copied from one creature of the Empire to another, is an image of utter terror to most of the Universe's sentient beings.

These creatures, these victims of unknown tortures and experiments, all bear unnerving similarities, no matter what their actual origin may be. Their bodies are cut, implanted, augmented, resized, mechanized, lobotomized, tortured and cut again in visible attempt to recreate a form that should be uniform for all the citizens. The origin of this form is perhaps the Empire's mysterious ruler, or the creator of these terrifying creatures - it truly is impossible to tell. Not many wish to communicate with these beings of nightmares, and those that do are usually quickly welcomed into the fold. The Empire does not explain its ways, it simply forces them upon the rest.

Should the Empire come knocking on the proverbial door, make no mistake - it is not a social call. Their very nature and what little was discerned of their society, is geared for war. The winners get to stave off the inevitable a while longer, while the losers will soon fuel the insatiable war machine of the Empire. Even the species living in extreme conditions cannot consider themselves safe, as the Empire's generic (and other) modifications permit invasion and settlement of virtually any world, and their formidable technology and powerful weaponry ascertain that no local life form will ever be much of a threat.

Alternative, not entirely serious.

Dear humans,

We thank you for your ingenious solution for our population crisis. As you have become aware, our biology prevents us from reproducing in what may be considered a traditional fashion among the biological species. Sadly, few of the creatures that we have encountered have been excited about the idea of permitting our race to continue its survival among the stars, and thus we were forced to develop mighty war fleets and devastating weaponry - simply in order to exist for another generation. Unlike you, none had ever attempted to look at the cause of our predicament.

Unfortunately, in our feverish race for survival, we have overlooked a simple, yet elegant solution that you now offer. Your race's ingenuity is clearly not overstated. According to your research, our trouble stems from being essentially a nomadic culture that has failed to evolve to the simple stages of agriculture and animal farming. While we may disagree with your view on our "halted" evolution, your assessment is nevertheless correct, and your solution would prove most fruitful indeed.

Accept our offer of eternal peace and friendship, and our undying gratitude for your cloning technologies!

Mankind and Empire, allies forever!

tiagocc0

Arcane
Thanks Angthoron and OlivettiFever!
I updated the first post with your entries, I will start the poll in a few minutes.

For all of the Codex, please participate and vote!
:excellent:

EDIT: Done, good luck everybody!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Is a little wierd to judge like this, would be easier if all the participants had took the same race... also, Tiago, are you intencionally keeping this low profile instead of asking the staff for a newspost of something?

tiagocc0

Arcane
Is a little wierd to judge like this, would be easier if all the participants had took the same race... also, Tiago, are you intencionally keeping this low profile instead of asking the staff for a newspost of something?
I was thinking about this, but how would we try to get more attention? I can only think of the news page and I don't know if it would be accepted.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
You can always submit stuff to the Contact Us page. Then the news people will post it as news, if it meets our high criteria. ;)

tiagocc0

Arcane
You can always submit stuff to the Contact Us page. Then the news people will post it as news, if it meets our high criteria. ;)
Thanks Jaesun, will do. :salute:

EDIT: Thank you too felipepepe for touching the subject. I sent the request via 'Contact Us'.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I was thinking about this, but how would we try to get more attention? I can only think of the news page and I don't know if it would be accepted.
FFS, why not? One of our own recruiting fellow codexers for developing a game, surely this must interest the hivemind. You even have your own sub-forum! Summon Crooked Bee, VentilatorOfDoom, Zed & recently ascended to staffthood Infinitron news people and sort this out. ;)

I thought you were keeping this low to avoid trolls and not-so-serious entries, but if not, you really should go full out. And no offense to the previous entrees, but add some rules like which race should be done, so it's fairer to judge.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom