Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hiring a writer - Vote on the writer you prefer!

Who should I hire for my upcoming game StarLife?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Okay, thanks to felipepepe I am now aware of this thread's existence. :M

Best if one of the administrators decides how to handle this however, not a lowly newsbot such as I.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I think that one good race description should be enough, but perhaps two very different ones would work well; if you make them describe Orgons & Humans, for example, you have them write about an already cool race but also challenge them to make banal shit boring humans feel just as interesting as the "weird races"...

tiagocc0

Arcane
Hmm, I understand the concern of both of you. (felipepepe and anselmus)

But I already set the rules and the deadline.
I could change it however if all those in the competition agrees.

I know people have spent time to do this, and most if not all must have little to almost none free time because of family/job.
I myself am working on my spare time on the game, while a writer who works with deadlines is great I can't force this on anyone, this is a slow project and will stay like this for a good while, unless I get funding and I can quit my job.

So I call the competitors angthoron, sser, deuce-traveler, hoverdog, grotsnik, telengard, anselmus, olivettifever and I ask you this:

Would you like more time and a more strict challenge (like everybody writing about the same two species)?

The way I see it having the liberty of choosing the race they prefer can show me their best points, you choose what you like and feel more comfortable with. So I'm know your upper limit.
Having a strict challenge I can check how they work regardless of what's thrown at them, if they are luck I will have chosen races that they like to work with, if they are not lucky I will have chosen races they hate to work with.
If I tell them to make description of all races this would take a month long as I know most wouldn't have the time or worse, they wouldn't even be willing to do so much work just for a competition and I would lose the competitor.

I know it's hard to be a fair judge on a competition this open.
But life is not fair, the codex is or should be the one most aware of this. ;)
Choose based on friendship, choose based on the writing style, choose on creativeness or originality.

And I must say that this competition was quite interesting, I got to know a lot more about the competitors and not just because of their entries. :)

Anselmus

Arcane
You'd better believe it. Though I think ultimately grotsnik's piece is better.

grotsnik

Arcane
Yeah, it's up to you, tiagocc0, I'm easy. Although if you're going to try a new contest/format, maybe you should try and fix it so that you end up having the final say in the decision. You presumably know the kind of writing you're looking for more than any of us and you're the one who's going to have to work with whoever wins, so it's a bit odd to have everyone apart from you contributing to the vote.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Yeah, it's up to you, tiagocc0, I'm easy! Although if you're going to try a new contest/format, maybe you should try and fix it so that you end up having the final say in the decision. You presumably know the kind of writing you're looking for more than any of us and you're the one who's going to have to work with whoever wins, so it's a bit odd to have everyone apart from you contributing to the vote.

There is a reason, my English is not very good. And coming from the Portuguese language makes it worse, at least for me.
While I can tell apart a bad text from a good one, I can't tell apart a really good one from a exceptionally good one.

If people are entering the competition this means they are interested on the position and on the game.
Unless someone only wants just the money and doesn't care about the game at all, but then it would show on the text.
And showing interest on the game is already more than enough for me, I'm doing this game out of passion and those who are already working with me are on the same level, no exceptions.

In the end if the one who I hire doesn't meet my requirements I can just kick his ass, codex style! And pay for what was already written.. before throwing it out.

I know the codex is the worse places to ask for suggestions.. about life.. but it's the best place to ask suggestions about games, this is the only time where people here gets serious so I do trust their decision.

EDIT: For those who doesn't know, I'm a developer, I have to write and read walls and walls of texts everyday, but they are all code (C++ and SQL queries), so now you know, I'm not even great at discerning really good from a exceptionally good text even in portuguese.

Angthoron

Arcane
To be fair, I'm not sure you should let the Codex decide on this, and, in fact, as a non-native speaker, you are in an ultimately better position to judge the works than the native speakers, unless your game is targetted only for people well-versed in English. Go for what feels right for you as a reader. Your end audience will thank you for it.

As for format-related re-run, why not? At present, you aren't in a hurry, and you should spend all the time you need to pick what works closest to how you want it. Should it be long? Should it be short? Do you want one description per manual "page", or three per page, or one per three pages? Do you want detailed descriptions, or merely spotlight on species' aspects, with the details to be filled in by the player? All this sorts of things are fairly important in the end.

To explain my choice of style, for example, I chose to support your ideas without running too far away with them in any direction. In a sense, it tends to fall on the more simple, brief side, but I do remember what I liked from Warcraft and Baldur's Gate manuals and it was this very thing, brief spotlights on the features to (hopefully) spark the curiosity. I wanted to see those units on the battlefield, I wanted that named sword of awesome +2ness, and every time, it was 3-5 lines of text to make me want to see them. Now, in-game texts, stories, fluff and other such items, these can be radically different.

Which leads me to my point - should you want to do a re-run, perhaps consider setting two formats, one for shorter entries and one for longer ones, one with stricter rules, and one that lets us write whatever the heck we'd want within your setting's boundaries. That could show you better the capabilities of the writers in both aspects and let you choose something that's more to your liking and convenience.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Okay so far angthoron, grotsnik, anselmus, olivettifever agrees with another competition with strict rules, well defined challenge and the winner will be chosen by me.
And sser, deuce-traveler, hoverdog, telengard haven't commented on it yet.

I say let this competition continue until next week. I will make another competition unless one of the four above disagrees.
This one is still valid and will have a bit of influence on my final decision but will not determine the winner.

As soon as I have the rules/challenge defined I will post it here.

Angthoron, grotsnik, anselmus and olivettifever do you agree with these terms?

Angthoron

Arcane
Absolutely. I'm welcoming a chance to actually shake off the goddamned constraints of academic writing for a change, might write a few "proper" stories before the next stage of the competition.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
I agree with the notions.
First of all, I was rather surprised with the voting. Probably I failed at reading, but I'd thought it would your choice, not codex's. After all, it is your game, and it is you who should know what you need in a writer. I have no problems with the popularity contest itself - but not as the main jury, rather as a means for us to boast or simply a second opinion for you if couldn't decide.

Furthermore, the first version of the contest was not specific enough. We can all safely agree that grotsnik has the best piece and I would have voted for him if I wasn't such a sneaky bastard. This is mostly because he's a great writer :)salute:) but also due to the fact his entry was a short story of sorts, not a description. And such form will always have a clear advantage. I think you have to narrow it down: pick a single race or two (humans, as felipepepe suggested, is a perfect bet), define the structure and the length. What I would like to see (though I am an interested party, so you musn't listen to me) is both a 'fluff' part (a short "story" piece that shows either the race or how the others feel about it) and a 'gameplay' part (a longer description showing what the faction is all about, with strenghts, weaknesses and stuffies).

Of course, it is all for you to decide.

tiagocc0

Arcane
About going wild while writing the text:

In the end I have to stick with what is easy so while some texts are great, if they go too wild I will probably have to rewrite (ask for a rewrite) because while it may be a good description it would take too much work to make rules that fit the descriptions. And in the end the game has to be balanced and all the races have to be playable.
Going wild is not that bad because it can be used as concept for the game, because you're giving me new ideas that I might use or not.

It's more like a process, at the start we throw lots of ideas and then we refine it until it fits the rules and is balanced.
Since I have a better idea about the rules and I wrote the descriptions myself it is already more or less balanced and within the scope of the game so removing things that I wrote might not be always a good idea, while adding things is more safe.

I wasn't going to take this into consideration on the first competition but since I'm talking about it now please be aware of this restriction.

About what to write:

-First Text
The descriptions I made have about 200 words, so let's try to make a 300-400 words maximum.
The text must be clear and to the point, it's a text that will be shown in-game so the player will read while playing.
At the end of the description it must point to the player the advantages and disadvantages of that race and optionally an observation.
About advantages and disadvantages, don't worry too much on what's possible and what's not right now. Just keep in mind that telling that a race is immortal is a no-no.
The race will be Human.

Format:
[Description]
[Jump a line]
[Advantage 1]
[Advantage N]
[Disadvantage 1]
[Disadvantage N]
[Observation]

-Second Text
This can be of any length, try not to make this more than a page unless it's necessary to make your point.
It must be a conversation or a letter between two humans talking about an alien.
Doesn't need to cover all about the alien in question, two to three points about them are enough.
This is a manual text so feel free to talk about Human Factions if you want.

The Rules:

Just the two texts above will be accepted, they must be sent together.
I will start accepting the texts on Saturday 22 December 2012, do not send your text before this date.
I will stop accepting the texts on Monday 7 January 2013, so even with the holidays coming you will have plenty of time.
Those who submit must not edit their texts, if you want more exposure you can submit earlier, if you want to be sure it has no errors you can submit it later.
If someone submit a text that does not follow the rules I give myself the right to remove it, explain the reason why and give one chance to resubmit the text while still respecting the end date.
The alien of the second text must be one from the document provided. http://purpleorangegames.com/pdf/StarLifePage2-12.pdf
The human from the first and second text must be based on the human from the document provided.
If someone thinks someone else is not following the rules, please contact me.

The prize:

At March/2013 I will run a Kickstarter campaign, from this campaign I can ask from $3.000 to $5.000 to the writer.
So I can only hire after this date, if the Kickstarter campaign is successful.
Another option is to accept a share of the profits (like all the other members) so the Kickstarter funds will be used for other stuff and you can start right away.
It is also possible a combination of the two, but asking for money on Kickstarter will give you a smaller % of the profits compared to the above.
I'm ok with whatever the winning writer chooses.

Is there something else I should address?
If you don't agree with something please tell me now so we can sort this out as soon as possible.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I can newspost it. It's saturday and there's nothing much going on.

edit: Done.

tiagocc0

Arcane
I can newspost it. It's saturday and there's nothing much going on.
Thanks Zed, that would be great!
I was planning to ask for a news so people could come and vote, but now it's a whole new competition, :)

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Perhaps Trash could crosspost it on Tacticular Cancer as well.

I think the question shouldn't be "who should I hire?" as that question is very much beside the point, but rather "whose entry do you think is most fitting for the game I am creating?"

Telengard

Arcane
Regarding the question on the previous page, I have no objections. The new one seems like it will get you closer to what you need, which is the important thing.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Regarding the question on the previous page, I have no objections. The new one seems like it will get you closer to what you need, which is the important thing.
Thanks Telengard.

Sorry, this is an invalid Codex poll. It has no kingcomrade option.
If it had then it would be no poll, he would get all votes regardless of the competition! :P

I think the question shouldn't be "who should I hire?" as that question is very much beside the point, but rather "whose entry do you think is most fitting for the game I am creating?"
Well, I thought the first implied the second since I should hire the one who is the most fitting for the game I am creating.

It's a technical difference but the former encourages focusing on the person and their broader abilities (i.e. grotsnik and his recently very popular editorial on game jurnalisim) rather than specifically what they've written here. The differences between those two should be important to you as the designer. If I was hiring I'd be eager to emphasise that difference.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom