Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hiring a writer - Vote on the writer you prefer!

Who should I hire for my upcoming game StarLife?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sser

Arcane
Developer
I'm not a wealthy man nor live like one. If you're paying me thousands to write for your game I can bang out a story no problem. Getting the cover art would be simple. I put another notch on my writing belt, you get publicity, win-win.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Huzzah. Back to the holidays playing Eador.
this being the sole reason I haven't written my entry yet :hearnoevil:

and writing a story as a addendum to writing game text shouldn't be a problem for any of the participants, I reckon

sser

Arcane
Developer
Huzzah. Back to the holidays playing Eador.

and writing a story as a addendum to writing game text shouldn't be a problem for any of the participants, I reckon

For sure. It was just a suggestion; a free story on the interwebs can get a lot of downloads and there are gaming genres to put it in. I'd be interested just to see its effectiveness more than anything.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Eador Genesis? Because they are making a new game, isn't it?

Funny thing, at the last E3 the new "Eador" was the only game I thought was interesting. At the time, I didn't even know it was an update of another game. Never even heard of the original Eador until I saw it on GOG and consecutively on the Codex.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Just one more day.

Here's a quick text I've written in five minutes for the game, just placeholder but it gives the main idea of what I want. This is because I have started to code the spacefaring UI.
function getPlanetDescription(type)
{
if (type==="Lava Planet") return "Lava Planets are very hot, full of volcanoes with a heavy dark atmosphere. They are mineral rich planets."
else if (type==="Barren Planet") return "Barren Planets are desolated planets generally full of nothing, they have water but in the wrong places."
else if (type==="Desert Planet") return "Desert Planets are very hot at day and freezing at night, sand storms are constant, they are usually mineral rich."
else if (type==="Toxic Planet") return "Toxic Planets developed a very hazardous atmosphere, it's very corrosive and also very useful."
else if (type==="Acid Planet") return "Acid Planets developed a very hazardous atmosphere, storms are constant making it extremely difficult to mine."
else if (type==="Ice Planet") return "Ice Planets are covered in frozen liquid, even if useful minerals and water are present, it's very difficult to extract them."
else if (type==="Ocean Planet") return "Ocean Planets are covered in liquid, usually water mixed with other elements, they have a great biodiversity."
else if (type==="Terran Planet") return "Terran Planets usually have great land masses with the rest of the surface covered by some kind of liquid, they have a great biodiversity."
else if (type==="Gaia Planet") return "Gaia Planets whole surface is land however it's constantly raining, they are very hot and have a huge biodiversity."
else if (type==="Gas Giant Planet") return "Gas Giant Planets may have a core but usually it's just a dense atmosphere, they are very useful but just for mining."
}

Angthoron

Arcane
My versions:

"Encyclopedia Galactica" entry. Please note that the Advantage/Disadvantage here can be easily changed to "Serious" or "Barebone" version if necessary. Splurged a bit on it since I had lots of words to spare from upper limit. The "Observation" bit is purely a joke, I was re-reading Douglas Adams not long ago.

The Human Federation is a testament to the power of ingenuity. The Humans are a race of thinkers, inventors, innovators, designers and philosophers. Their inquisitive minds keep them at the cutting edge of scientific discovery, second to none with their advanced technologies.

Comparatively frail by nature, Humans have long since found an excellent way to make up for their lack of physical strength through advanced robotics, whether guided manually, or governed by complex AIs. Their fascination with Artificial Intelligence has earned Humans a gift of trust from the galaxy's sentient cybernetic species; however, it has also sown seeds of distrust and even fear in the rest. Humans have no qualms about deploying robots on the battlefield, and with the extensive use of robotics, Human space fleets have quickly become a force to be reckoned with.

Unfortunately for Humans, their thinking is laced with emotion, and this deadly combination both fuels and ruins their undertakings, it brings them together and violently pushes them apart. Ideologies shift, agreements are left unreached, and various factions engage in endless political struggles, leaving the Humans divided and often, without direction. This lack of unity is perhaps the single reason for the galaxy to still be spared from total Human dominance.

Advantage 1: Humans are great at coming up with new technologies. They’re even better with coming up with technologies that can do work for them. Humans get a bonus to their research capabilities and to their robotics-related technologies.
Advantage 2: Humans like robots. Robots like humans. Diplomatic relations between cybernetic races and humans receive a bonus. Robotic trophy wives are becoming quite popular in the Human upper classes.

Disadvantage 1: Non-cybernetic aliens are either jealous of or disgusted with the human fascination with thinking machines. They probably consider them degenerates, or possibly a danger to the universe. Due to this, and other unrelated incidents, humans receive penalties to their diplomatic relations with organic alien life forms capable of diplomacy.
Disadvantage 2: Humans are passionate and prone to internal conflicts. Due to this, human economy and political stability receive a hefty penalty.

Observation: Humans are fun to observe.

Letter/Conversation: I went for a "Memoir of a Special Forces soldier" angle - wanted to try out a "chatty" style for it.

If you’re reading this now, I guess it’s because it’s finally declassified. It’s probably been twenty-five years since I’m writing this, suppose it’ll be old news to everyone by that time. Kind of funny to write of this as if you’re reading this from the future when I’m still in what, the past, you know? Got to pick words, feels funny. Anyway, to the point. This is my story of our first raid on the Empire’s territories – the one you’ve probably never heard about.

It’s been a while since the first contact that Mankind’s had with the aliens. Hell, it was before my time even, so by the year I got to the Special Forces, the aliens were nothing new, nothing exciting. All those different new races we’d discovered. We met them, we shook their appendages, marveled at their culture, set up trade agreements, had minor skirmishes and named city streets after alien capitals as a part of cultural exchange. We kidnapped them, studied the ways their minds work, sliced ‘em up afterwards to see how bodies worked, too. They became an everyday thing. Some even applied for immigration permits. Like I said, nothing special. I bet they’re even less special now, to you. But these were different.

I bet you know this by now, but all this stuff with the Empire was new to us at the time. We’ve heard the other aliens speak of them in hushed, hateful tones, we’ve heard their fear-mongering stories of AI gone rogue, of genetic experiments spinning out of control, of forced implants and horrors of cybernetics… Well, they really mostly warned us of the dangers of those things, but, you see, I never knew what they meant, until we stepped into that little outpost.

That outpost was very small, hiding on a tiny moon maybe ten times its size – a hangar with two ships, crew quarters, and what recon had assumed to be a lab. We expected little resistance – maybe a dozen guards and about as much of non-combat personnel, technicians, cooks, that sort of thing. Sure enough, the numbers matched up well enough, but it only took us a moment to realize that not a single creature on that base was meant for peaceful purposes. In hindsight, I suppose it’d be like expecting three battle tanks out of ten to be good and proper housewives – just doesn’t happen. These guys are just out for war.

We took them out. We had that element of surprise to help us. It wasn’t hard, but I won’t lie that it was easy either. We were equally matched, and I don’t think these were Special Forces like we were. Just aliens meant to kill, destroy and turn any survivors into their likes. Now, us, humans, even in Special Forces, aren’t meant to only just do that. Oh, did I mention that they turned everything to look like their own messed-up twins? They sure seemed to like that.

The building we mistook for crew quarters turned out to be some sort of a production facility. They didn’t can beans there, though, or repackage moon rocks for tourists, no, what they did was… Oh, but I have to backtrack a bit. You know, we had a good reason to hit that base, besides, of course, trying to steal one of their ships. There’d been reports – solid reports, not just from our intelligence services, but from various alien sources, that people – human and alien alike – had begun to disappear. Now, military intelligence figured that people don’t vanish on their own, and organized surveillance. Surveillance that lead us to this base. And on this base, the goddamned aliens from something called The Empire were turning humans into horrid, tortured, soulless patchworks of flesh and circuits. The stuff of nightmares. Still see it. Maybe by the time you’re reading this I won’t, one way or another.

We shot them up. We set the base ablaze. We took the ships and just got out. We might’ve took some other things along as well, but that’s another story, read it in another 25 years or so. We got out, and I don’t think they knew what hit them. That doesn’t really matter though, what matters is that we, our governments, our military, prepare for this. It doesn’t matter if they know we know or not. They’ll come here. They’ll want our bodies. And we’ve got to make damned sure we keep ‘em.

OlivettiFever

Educated
All rightie, here we go. First part's a bit less than 400 words, second part's a couple words over 400. The second's a tad on the shorter side, but I figure it'd be a really cool one-shot in a manual.

Humans are, if little else, resourceful creatures. Having built a fleet second-to-none during the 24th century—the so-called Century of Steel—the intervening years have seen humanity spread across the stars at a rate unparalleled by most other species. This rapid progress has seen wary interest from other species, due in no small part to their relationship with robotics. Having successfully navigated the turbulent waters of early artificial intelligence, humanity work closely with robotics to compensate for their lack of strength and the limits to their endurance in flight. The strength of this relationship is, ironically, not shared among humans themselves—Humans are a notoriously unstable species, prone to internal strife and rebellion. But this instability they make up for in sheer force of will.

Spaceworthy – Having spent a century locked in a race to build bigger and better spacecraft, Human ships are powerful, sturdy and fast. Their quality comes at a cost—Human ships are considerably more costly and time-consuming to manufacture than those of most other species. Spacecraft receive bonuses to durability, damage and interstellar transit time but are more expensive and take longer to build than those of alien species.

AI-llies – The development of artificial intelligence did not visit the same unpleasantries upon humanity as it did most other species. Their peaceful coexistence with robotics has earned them powerful allies able to compensate for their physical weaknesses. Humans are not susceptible to robotic rebellions, and use robotic drones in space combat.

Unstable – Humans are a destructively competitive and self-interested species. While this often manifests itself in booms and periods of good economic fortune, it also results in more frequent and severe times of economic upheaval and depression. Economic fortunes are more extreme than for other races.

Rebellious – Though the same competitive qualities have manifested themselves in powerful technology and a well-developed economic infrastructure, humanity has never been able to assemble into a political body stabler than a loose confederation prone to violent internal conflict. Popular dissatisfaction more frequently results in internal rebellion.

"Humans. They are reckless, they are treacherous. They care not for the fates of their brothers and sisters, and would sooner lay to ruin the best-laid plans for peace than give up their individual dreams of power. But they are resourceful, their spirit indomitable. And if we can stand against them, we will be very lucky indeed."

“Get your goddamn helmet on, Private!” the sergeant shouted, smacking Stewart across the chest with the backside of his arm. “I'm not going to tell you twice.”

Stewart coughed. “Uh, permission to ask what the hell's going on, Sergeant?”

“Permission granted – Dugwart, that's the hell going on!” The metal hull of the spaceship shuddered. “You ever meet a Dugwart, son?”

Stewart did his best to shake his head as he slipped on his helmet. “N-no, Sarge. What?” he said, nonplussed, as a deep metallic shriek began to fill the air. “Is there something in particular that you want me to know?”

“You hear that sound, Private? They're drilling in. In about twenty seconds they're going to start flooding the ship with the poison shit they call air, and anyone without their helmet on is as good as done for. Give yourself five seconds in that gas and you'll be bleeding out of your eyes, ten seconds and you're stone-cold dead. You keep that thing on, and you stay close to me, and the two of us might just get out of this alive.”

A violent impact shook the vessel, knocking Stewart from his feet. The lights flickered slightly before buzzing out. The sergeant began to yell. “They're in! Hold onto something, Private, a-grav's about to go!”

Stewart grasped the emergency railing with an outstretched hand as the gravity shuddered out from beneath him. He felt his limbs began to float languidly through the air and he braced himself against the wall, sidearm ready in his free hand. He stared up the corridor that had been suddenly transformed into a vertical shaft. The sergeant laid flat against the wall opposite him, peering upward.

“They're big bastards—seven, eight feet tall,” hissed the sergeant. “We'll see 'em coming—”

A jet of plasma fire arced down the hallway with a sudden hiss. The sergeant swore loudly, and Stewart could smell the acrid burn of ozone through his helmet filter. “Sergeant, you okay?”

“Yeah, I'm fine, kid,” he said, maneuvering himself against the wall in the darkened hallway. “Just got singed. I'll be okay.” A green miasma began to ooze down the corridor. The sight of the noxious vapor, the Dugwarts' poisonous air, caused Stewart to involuntarily hold his breath.

The sergeant pulled his service rifle from his back and propped it against the metal bulkhead, staring intently upward toward the source of the gas. “They're coming.”

Best of luck, all.

Telengard

Arcane
Text 1
Human

Description: Standing at an average of only 1.7 meters, Humans are one of the smaller species of the galaxy. Their small stature combined with a lack of natural weaponry has left them with a reputation for not exactly being the greatest of fighters. However, their innate curiosity and fascination with technology has allowed them to build some of the finest ships in the galaxy. While Humans themselves may not be famed for their fighting ability, their ships certainly are. Additionally, Humans make use of robots whenever they can in order to compensate for their lack of physical prowess.

Researchers by nature, Humans are well-known for their advanced technologies. Their willingness to share those technologies would normally see them winning many supporters throughout the galaxy, but their continued fixation with artificial intelligence and robotics is seen as a threat by many species. After the bitter AI Extermination War, most species have banned all sciences related to AIs and robotics. Humanity's continued research into these forbidden technologies has greatly weakened their relations across much of the galaxy. Humans are one of the few peoples that can maintain peaceful coexistence with AI species.

With their advanced technology and superior ships, the Human civilization might seem at first glance to be to be an unstoppable force. Except, Humans have a fatal flaw that prevents them from dominating the galaxy: factionalism. Humans tend to have vastly different ideals from one to another, and seem to enjoy nothing more than forming a new political faction and attempting to unseat whatever government is currently in power. Because of this, Humans tend to spend as much time dealing with domestic issues as they do expanding their civilization into space.

COLONIZATION
Settles: Terran, Gaia
Terraforms: Ocean, Desert, Barren

TRAITS
Advantages
  • Robotics: allows Robotics Laboratory, a building that provides for the development of various robots through further research
  • Rare Technologies:+10% to effects of all ship components
  • Curiosity: +1 Research from all Human colonies and outposts
Disadvantages
  • Factious: 30% disharmony on all Human colonies
  • Unfanged: have no natural combat ability
  • Small Stature: -1 to resist Knockdown and Pin

DIPLOMACY
Culture: Technologist
Relations
  • AIs: +0
  • Other Technologists: +10
  • All other civilizations: -10
Text 2
Independent Mining Vessel, the Lucky Spin

Spencer Greaves, Pilot: Putting it up on screen, cap.

Captain Walter Boggins [not looking]: Is it foreign?

Greaves: It's an...alien vessel, cap, sure enough.

Captain Boggins [muttering to himself]: What're they doing in our territory? –Well, whadda they want?

Greaves: Dunno, cap.

Captain Boggins: Hmph. So get them on the horn and ask! Isn't that your job, god damnit!

Greaves: Sure thi... Actually, they seem to be hailing us, cap.

[from communications]: Shoorus radis jur.

Captain Boggins [scowling]: What the hell is that jibber jabber?

Greaves: Sounds like...Dugwarts, cap.

Captain Boggins: What? ...Are those the icky green things? Or the pink, tentacilly things?

Greaves: Um. How would I know, cap?

Captain Boggins: God damn useless $#&%. –Well, where's the bloody manual on those twerps, then?

Greaves: TH7, cap.

Captain Boggins [fumbles around on his hand console for a while]

Greaves: Top left on the console, sir. ...Tango. Hotel. Sev-en

Captain Boggins [painstakingly tabbing a few keys, one by one]: I know that! –{reading] Dugwart come from a naturally toxic planet requiring them to carry those toxic gases on their suits when exploring other planets.

Greaves: Cap. Something's going on over there. I'm reading something strange.

Captain Boggins [continues reading]: Those gases are very corrosive so their suit has to be reinforced to withstand them.

Greaves: They're firing something at us, cap! It's a missile! ...It's huge!

Captain Boggins: Wait! What? [begins tabbing wildly] Where's the god damned weapons read-out on this %*$@ thing?

Greaves: It's gonna hit! What're we gonna do?

Captain Boggins: Get us the hell outta here, Greaves!

[A loud clang]

Greaves: We're hit. ...But, no damage. I...don't understand.

Captain Boggins: Ha! It was a dud. Should'a known. [sniffs] Foreign buggers can't make tech worth a damn. –Get ready to return fire, Greaves!

[A loud, whining hiss]

Captain Boggins: Now what?

Greaves: I dunno, cap. Wait. That missile. It's attached itself to the ship somehow. It's...boring into the hull, cap!

Captain Boggins: Huh? Why would anyone wanna do that when they could just blow a hole?

Greaves: I... I...

Captain Boggins [ignoring Greaves]: Where is the damned weaponry section anyway, god damnit! –{reading] Not only are Dugwarts able to colonize toxic planets but they can also terraform them to resemble their home planet and thus utilize the planet full potential.

Greaves: Cap! The missile has cut though, and some kind of gas is spilling out...Medic alerts going off all across deck 3, cap! I think the gas is toxic!

Captain Boggins: Toxic gas? I don't see that listed anywhere!

Greaves: Uh, there's more, cap! People are reporting that some sort of creature is coming out of the missile! ...Lots of them! [a red light appears on his console] Weapons fire detected, cap! All across deck 3!

Captain Boggins [flings his hand console across the deck]: This thing is bloody useless!

Greaves: Cap!

Captain Boggins: Aw screw it. [stands up] Go get your pike, Greaves. [takes up his own weapon] Just shoot them all in the head. That always works.

*All your gases belongs to us!

tiagocc0

Arcane
The forum killed my beautiful tabs. Imagine the date is way over to the right for a truly gentlemanly letter.
No problem. ;)

Ok, I'm going to work now but I will read everything as soon as I come back, thank you very much guys!

For anyone who wants to participate I still accept texts until I come back from work so there's still 11 to 12 hours counting from now.

hoverdog

Developer
My take on races is that they should be unique and/or have perks that makes playing them much more different than simple +10 research -10 hit points. To be perfectly honest, I wanted to write humans with a twist, so that they vary from what we know IRL (I almost never play as humans when I have a chance to be some weird aliens) and the standard recurring trope of The Game's Averages. Humans are perhaps the most tricky race to do in this way, as it is harder to modify ourselves, an existing species with all its limits, than to come up with something new. I had a few ideas (like female-only race that depends on cloning), but in the end decided against it, as it would vary too much from the objective and base description provided. Still, I did manage to include a gimmick that leaves them maybe not unusual, but at the very least interesting (I hope). Of course, it's a gameplay idea, and it would have to be able to be implemented, so scratch it off if it's impossible. Sometimes I wish I was a programmer.

In the first, in-game description I wanted to describe both the fluff and the gameplay style of humans. I steered clear of precise modifiers and number crunching, as it would be worthless without actual in-game data. 400 words aren't a whole lot, and I struggled to keep it down. In the end I managed to do it (four hundred exactly! :D), and even fit the observations. I also (with tiagocc0's approval), merged advantages and disadvantages into one Traits tab (i am quite proud of that Winston Churchill quote there).

As for the second text. I actually wrote two of them - my first idea was a recording of an unfortunate scout that met the Formwli. But just before I went to sleep yesterday, an idea struck me, and so I wrote something completely different. It describes how aliens (in this case Krom) are both perceived as and what they are in reality, and shows some of the darker side of the humans. A letter from a rather naive young academy graduate, and a conversation between two unknown figures - probably some higher ranked diplomatic officers, maybe spies? as a commentary.

Without further ado:

Description

Humankind, the crafty apes. Their adaptability and rapid progress both fascinates and terrifies other races. In centuries they achieved what others struggled with for thousands of years, and they are still developing, looking for new challenges, borders to cross and frontiers to explore. Humanity has an insatiable thirst for greatness. Frail carbon-based bodies do not help them, but what they lack in physical strength, they make up for in tenacity and acumen.

Throughout the galaxy it is often said that the greatest enemies of humanity are the humans themselves. And indeed, the history of humankind is a history of war. Squabbling and rebelliousness defines them the same way as intelligence and determination. Constant bickering, insults and even raiding parties are a standard on fringe colonies. Terran Council, their democratic government body, may be able to unite independent states against an exterior enemy, but quelling internal animosities lies beyond its power.

Major subject of concern for other races is humanity’s obsession over robotics and artificial intelligence. Most species do not allow any research on AI, fearing that it may become truly sentient and consequently rebel. Humans, however, pay no heed to any warnings, and brilliance, the one thing that elevated them to power, may one day prove their downfall.

Traits

Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all other forms – Player needs support of Terran Council for his civilization to function properly. If he acts against its will too many times, the Council may even dismiss him from the office, ending the game prematurely.

Self-serving – unless kept in check, colonies have a habit of becoming autonomous. The larger the distance from homeworld, the bigger the economical and unrest penalties.

PhD in robotics – humans have a natural knack for science, and mechanical studies in particular. Research rates in all fields are higher than normal, doubled in robotics. Humans also receive diplomatic bonus in relations with the One and are the only race that can use fully functional AI on their ships, although depending on it too much can have disastrous consequences.

Weak of body, strong of heart – Human bodies are weak and fragile. They are subpar in close combat and, most importantly, find it hard to settle on less habitable worlds. However, their strong spirits give them a morale boost when outnumbered.

Observation
Humankind has perhaps the largest potential of all sentient races, but are they able to reach it?

Dear Mom and Dad,
I am so so so so so sooo sorry for not writing you sooner, but the first few weeks after graduating from the Academy were all a blur. I know you’ve given up everything just to help me get there. I did it. I finished the second in my class, third in the whole year! Enough to be immediately accepted on half of the navy – I got luckier though! Ambassador Fedeli – the one that deals with Krom – insisted that I become his assistant. I was scared at first – you know what they say, and how grandma was telling me that the rocksies will come and eat me when I was naughty – but it was an offer I couldn’t turn down! They made me sign a whole lot of papers and we set off for the Krom main space station the very next day. Imagine my anxiety! My first long space travel. My first meeting with aliens – and not just any aliens, but the real bad guys.
And guess what – Kroms aren’t like that the slightest! Where did it come from? Everyone says they are stupid, savage, that they destroy worlds for food and eat their children when everything is used up. That they are dangerous and should be eradicated before there’s nothing left for us to colonize. Even the professors in the Academy told us so! But it’s not true at all! Well, they do feed on rocks, but it’s like wheat for us, isn’t it?
Honestly, Kroms aren’t really dumb and brutal like people think. They’re slow to react, but at the same time polite and extremely patient. We humans can do more in a day than they in a week or more – but where’s to hurry when you can live like ten times longer? They aren’t worse, they’re just, you know, different.
I heard people in the embassy talking about invasion. Why? What for? They haven’t done anything wrong. Can’t we just live in peace?! The ambassador should really do something about it!
Anyway, gotta go now, I have lot of duties. I’ll message you again soon, I promise.
Kisses,
Andrew

- To think this greenhorn could undo decades of careful manipulation and propaganda. Claiming Krom mineral deposits is our top priority. We have to get the Council’s unanimous approval. And for that, we need all the hatred and vitriol of the common folk. No. Word. Gets. Out.

- He’s just a kid. Maybe he didn’t understand the situation.

- Then he is a bigger fool than I thought. Everyone signed those clauses.

- But did anyone read them?

- It’s irrelevant. Ignorance is no excuse. Are you sure we blocked the comm?

- Hundred percent. But it was a close one.

- Back to work. You know what needs to be done. See to it.

- The ambassador won’t be happy.

- I don’t care. He should be more careful. He’s aware of the risks.

- Maybe it’s time you reminded him. [sigh] That boy could’ve had a bright future in the Navy.

- Well, tough luck for him then.

- And the rocksies? They’re slow, not dumb.

- But they are naïve. And suspecting us to wage war just for worthless dirt, really?

- One species’ trash is another one’s treasure. [cough] Oh. And one more thing.

- Yes?

- Make sure the next assistant keeps his mouth shut.

:)

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all other forms – Player needs support of Terran Council for his civilization to function properly. If he acts against its will too many times, the Council may even dismiss him from the office, ending the game prematurely.
I would change this a little bit because losing a game like this wouldn't be very fun.

Instead it should cause a civil war and split your empire in 2 like losing your capital in Civ2.

hoverdog

Developer
I would change this a little bit because losing a game like this wouldn't be very fun.

Instead it should cause a civil war and split your empire in 2 like losing your capital in Civ2.
I think it depends on the implementation.

If there is a clear indicator of the council's opinion, and the player gets feedback on how his moves and decisions are received, I don't see the problem. It just adds another level of gameplay: fighting with the constrains. You can't just waltz around Taures sector, ignoring everything, when on Centauri your people are being murdered by the Empire, but if you make colonies on Sol and Sirius a paradise, no one will care.
It's not like you're playing humans like any other race, when suddenly BLAM! you lose. That would definitely suck.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Here is my own effort, stymied by the auto-formatting:

Text 1:

Description: Short-sighted, indolent and vicious to the point of irrationality when roused, the human race has somehow turned numerous vices into dominating virtues. While other interstellar races may take time to research the impact of new scientific discoveries, humans are quick to adapt them into new technologies in various fields ranging from recreation to war. As a whole, the race has shown itself capable of great exertions of labor, but only when given promise of significant material or financial reward on an individual basis. This may explain why the human race has embraced computers and robotics so whole-heartedly, as their brief but strenuous efforts in these fields has resulted in the leisure time that allows for recreational studies in other intellectual pursuits.

The success and expansion of humanity has not resulted in a form of unifying racial pride, but instead has lead to quite the opposite. The disparate human worlds and colonies have pursued their own goals, uniting only when they are threatened as a group. It is difficult to predict what may cause the human race to act with cohesion; one world may rejoice in watching a rival taken over by an alien race, but a photo of a young child being blown apart in the same conflict may touch the interstellar public and result in a crusade of shocking proportions. Humans may be slow to go to war because of their various competing factions, but these same limitations make it even more difficult to make peace. War with humanity is often total.

- Research: Because of their cultural appreciation of technology, humans research technology faster than most competitors, especially in the fields of robotics and computers.

- Ship Building: The use of human ingenuity, robotics, and computations aids in human ship-building, which in turn allows for the manufacturing of space-worthy shipping at a cheaper cost.

- Divisive: The human race receives a penalty in diplomacy and starts as a feudal government due to its factional nature.

Observation: Humanity should be treated as a potential ally in the cause of technological discoveries. A small outpost or colony often may be acquired by a competing race without provoking outright war. However, it would behoove those with greater aspirations to act with alacrity, before humanity’s perilous war machine can be brought fully to bear.

Text 2:

Partial Transcript of a recorded conversation during the 42nd day of the Season of Harvest in the 633rd year of the Benevolent Era between Royal-Voice Tulgh of Rizier and Duke Gallen the Sixteenth, Fifth Regional Commander of The Talos Border Colonies, Ruler of Talos IV, Provincial Magistrate of Belos, Rizier and Hap and Patron of the Golden Choir Orchestra.

Gallen: Your ruler feels compelled to remind you that he is displeased with the lack of progress in bringing our neighboring systems to a council of war. The One’s encroachment towards our space might first only threaten our own blessed Talos system, but if our kingdoms were to fall, the Enlightened Colonies of Desine and the United Theocracies of Kwa would face their hostile forces. Do my fellow rulers suffer from blindness or are do they suffer a malady of the mind?

Tulgh: My apologies, your grace, but your neighbors do not agree with your unfailing logic as they lack the intellect that you possess. The ruling class of research directors from the Enlightened Colonies are almost wholly dependent upon their own robots and computers, and believe that they can reach an understanding with the One. In my opinion, they seem so devoted to their various projects that they cannot fathom diverting resources to war and refuse to see the threat. As for the United Theocracies of Kwa, they see nothing to be gained in going to war against a species that has yet to attack any of their own people and cannot be converted to the religion of the Shining Truth. Admittedly, there is also the matter of the Letters of Marquee that your father issued against their worlds more than a decade ago during that one embarrassing episode better not discussed.

Finally, there is the problem of finding common ground. The Enlightened Colonies and the leaders of Kwa have sought new discoveries, either scientific or philosophic, while we have been focused on weapon innovations. When it comes to fleets, the Enlightened Colonies send out ships for space exploration while the Kwa fleet is mostly comprised of merchant vessels and missionary craft in order to spread the Word. The focus of both you and your predecessors on a military fleet makes our neighboring humans fearful of your own aspirations. I have been frustrated to encounter so many great human minds which cannot see past their own pursuits and work for the defense of humanity as a whole.

Gallen: It is shameful to hear that our neighbors slander the honor of your ruler and his forebears. Perhaps it is high time that my Royal-Voice reminded them that if it were not for Gallen the Eleventh efforts against the WeaBoo Sun Empire, they would be speaking Fapanese now, or if Gallen the Thirteenth had not turned the tide at Star’s End, it would be their luck to be house slaves under the BorBorr Clans. Your one job is to convince them. Your ruler cares not for the difficulty of your task, but only for results. Perhaps my Royal-Voice finds himself over-exerted and needful of rest. If you find yourself unable to meet the challenge, mayhaps it is time for another prestigious member from one of my other provinces to take up the work.

Tulgh: Thank you for your consideration of my health, your grace, however I have another suggestion. If our neighbors cannot be convinced to mobilize for war because they do not fully understand the threat, then we need to allow for them to come to the realization for themselves without endangering our own position. Now our fleet patrols key trade lines to protect our own interests, but our ships’ movements have a secondary effect of guarding portions of the neighboring shipping lanes. Here is what I propose…

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well I still think the civil war would be a more interesting outcome.

hoverdog

Developer
Well I still think the civil war would be a more interesting outcome.
Maybe if you still have colonies that like you, you could split, if however you made your entire race mad, it's bye bye.
Exactly. Rebelling colonies could be repercussions of low standing with the Council, but you're still in the seat. But when everyone hates you, there's no one to wage a civil war with.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I like the idea of being deposed from your seat of power, but I don't think it should be implemented in such a black and white manner. An internal "diplomatic loss" feature for Humans would make them wildly different to play, sure, but also unwieldy and probably unfun. The idea could be played around with, though, as the mentioned Civ2 example of just "splitting" the empire. Another idea could be fracturing the empire into city-states that must be reconquered, but if one is attacked by an outside power everyone unifies again; perhaps there is no "fragmenting" during times of war, thus pressuring Human-players to constantly expand as a gameplay mechanic. Maybe have no really hard, overwhelming mechanics, but just throw down some large production/fighting penalties when, politically and domestically, things go to hell.

The idea of a powerful military force undermined by its homefront does have some appeal to me. Think of Denmark or Norway under Nazi-power, both almost insignificant countries in the grand scheme of the war, but both of which tied up a lot of German resources that were needed elsewhere. I like to think of the Humans as a race with a strong central core, but that runs into lots of unrest and upkeep problems as it expands. Military prowess does not invest itself in the ability to occupy a foreign enemy. Humans love to conquer, but they have never been great at handling victory.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Just finished reading everything, tomorrow morning I will read it again and then decide, thank you very much for all your entries. ;)

tiagocc0

Arcane
Now that everyone wrote their texts I can give some more insights about the game.

Factions will play a major role (will be optional, if the player want to start unified it's possible).
So for example humans may have 5 to 6 distinct factions (think of alpha centauri), each is a nation, you may control just one of the nations, or you can be the head and control the whole race. (like in Crusader Kings II)
Depending on your actions a nation may rebel so you will probably end the game with just a few nations or just one of them.
They may wage war against themselves at times of peace (with aliens). I have said before that there will be civilians, so civilians colonies will actually be controlled by those nations, you can't make a civilian colony (unless you're a nation).
So the nations will take care of that for you. They will be able to build their own ships (as to wage war against each other) and help you defend your own territory.

Other aliens will also have factions, but some may have 2 or 3, while others can have up to 9 or 10.

Also some more info on war:
There will also be other aspects to war other than just attack.
For example (from Victoria II/Paradox) you have to have a reason to start a war, like humiliate the enemy, annex a colony, annex a system, steal resources, liberate a colony, liberate a system, steal a ship, steal a technology.
So you can't just start a war and expect to take all of the enemy systems to you and bye bye enemy empire of dozens of thousands of years. You will have to start several wars to completely take an enemy.
Starting too much wars will make you look bad.
Retaliation wars are great because you don't look bad.
If you start to lose the war (lose battles/systems/colonies) you can surrender that war, not your entire empire.
If you start a war to annex a colony, you can capture several of your enemy's systems, however when the enemy declares that you won, you will give them back and just get that colony you specified.
If you are winning the battle, you can specify more goals, like another colony. If you do lose however because the enemy brought an ally to his side, you will lose further resources/colonies due to having a bigger goal.
If someone brings an ally, and you win the battle everyone involved will be at peace, so no more bring an ally, end the battle and let your ally alone in the war.

I'm also planing on having a very different approach to ship movement, you won't be able to move ships to attack like other games, instead you only choose where they are stationed as to provide defense and patrol for that system/area of your empire. For you to attack you choose an enemy, then a system, then your fleet, it will give you information about how much turns it would cost to attack and return. You can choose how you want to proceed, a front attack, try to stay off the radars for a hidden attack, attack two places at the same time and so on.
If you make several small teams and attack different places at the same time it will be a lot harder for the enemy to detect all of the attacks. So this eliminates the need for a stack of doom of ships.
Now you also have to take care of your borders, you will have to build lots of radar stations as to prevent them from infiltrating your empire.
When you detect and attack you can choose how many ships you want to send to defend your empire. If you do not detect then you have to defend with just the ships you have at that system at the time.
Attacking further inside someone's empire is very easy to detect while attacking border planets is very difficult.

hoverdog

Developer
I can only say: wow. this sounds absolutely amazing.

I just hope the design won't be too big sophisticated. You are just one human after all (though humans get bonuses to technology ;))

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom