Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

History: Legends of War

spectre

Arcane
Anybody tried it? It's supposed to arrive in Europe on February, but I saw XBAWKS torrents laying around in my favourite online store.

Here's a vid:

And the official website.
http://www.slitherine.com/games/Legends_of_WarPC

Unfortunately, setting wise it's uninspired (World War 2, Patton's campaign, didn't find anything on germans being playable), and is also made for consoles which shows a bit on the video. I fear this may turn out to be "baby's first turn based game", but still, it's squad based tactical turn based with levelups and EXP.

titus

Arcane
Patron
I got the impression of bland games from the few titled labeled 'History' that I played. The XBox praise in this video doesn't help either.
Current status: meh.

Ebonsword

Arcane
I picked this up for the PS3 last week. Not sure why this game seems to have so little discussion about it--it's quite good (so far--I'm about a third of the way through it).

You can't really customize your individual units, but there's a decent amount of unit types available, from snipers, to bazooka troops, to commandos, to tanks and planes. And you usually have quite a bit of flexibility with how you can build your squad for any mission, which totally made up (for me) the lack of unit customization.

Also, you can customize Patton himself. You never actually see Patton on the board, but he has a variety of leadership abilities you can customize that allow your troops to do more damage, have more health, gain XP faster, etc. So far, I've found the one which let's your soldiers fire more shots per turn to be the most useful (although, I did have to max it out before I saw any benefit).

The activation system is a little different. Instead of having a two-action limit (like the new X-com) or a shared AP pool (like the original X-com), you have a pool of movement points *and* a separate pool of shooting points. So, you can move out of cover, shoot an enemy, and move back behind cover, which is nice.

The difficultly level is certainly respectable (I'm playing on the middle difficulty). A large part of the difficulty stems from your inability to save mid-battle, and the battles can easily take 45 minutes to an hour to complete. Usually what happens is that I do the battle once, either fail it or succeed with heavy losses, and then redo it to get a better score. I think it would be difficult to "iron man" it. You have to pay for units using prestige points that you get for successfully completing a battle. So far, I think that the highest number of prestige points I received for a single battle has been like 13,000 PP. To put that into perspective, a sniper costs 8,000 PP to recruit and some tanks cost 20,000 PP. So, even losing a couple of key units during a battle can suck up your prestige points damn quick--and it's pretty easy to lose units, since snipers can one-shot most (if not all) of your infantry units and they can do it after suddenly appearing out of the fog of war.

It's certainly not a perfect game. It lacks the slickness of, say, the X-com remake, and I don't find myself with that "just one more mission before bed" feeling I got playing X-com. With Legends of War, I'm usually content to play through a single mission a day. But it's definitely a nice diversion, and skirmish-level, simulationist, turn-based strategy games aren't exactly common.

644514-history-legends-of-war-patton-windows-screenshot-us-infantrys.jpg

legends-of-war-patton-s-campaign-007.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom