Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Histwar: Napoleon

Aemar

Arcane
What's the current situation regarding Histwar? I know the project started out more than a decade ago as Histwar: Les Grognards, now it seems the current version is called Histwar: Napoleon.

Is it worth buying/playing?

Histwar: Napoleon

• Authentic Napoleonic style combat from the years 1805-1815.
  • Innovative 5 tiered Artificial Intelligence system models the difficulty and challenges of command in the early 19th century battlefield.

• Realistic combat resolution and modeling which takes into account such factors as orientation and density of unit formations, their training, combat effectiveness, fatigue and moral.

• Advanced morale engine accounts for a variety of elements including proximity to friendly commanders and units, weather effects, level of sustained losses, overall fatigue and more.

• Thrilling battles with over 500,000 3D models shown representing up to 500,000 Infantry soldiers, Cavalry and Artillerymen - all fully animated!

• Comes with several historical battles including Haslach, Austerlitz, Durenstein, Elchingen, Hollabrun. New battles will be added for each new version (Borodino, Eylau, Friedland, Hanau, Wagram, Waterloo...)

• Play as any of 27 different major, minor and city state military powers including France, Russia, Austria, Wurtenmberg, Saxony, Poland, Italy and Naples.
  • Over 1500 historical Regiments, 5000 unique commanders and all accurate military uniforms included.

• 4 different game editors (Map, Order of Battle, Doctrine and Campaign) allow you to build your own battles or modify the included ones, create your own armies and customize specific characteristics and abilities of any unit or commander.

• Units organized into historically accurate and individually controllable Regiments, Brigades, Divisions, Corps and Armies.

• Single player action against the computer and multiplayer with up to 16 (*) people on two sides Internet, LAN and PBEM multiplayer modes.

• Variable speed play from real time 1 minute = 1 minute to accelerated 10x time where 6 seconds of gametime = 1 minute of simulated time. PBEM mode played in 15 to 30 minute turns.

Beowulf

Arcane
It wasn't finished and development slowed to a crawl last time I checked. I'd wait at least until this new 0.6 version is out.

But it was playable and has some really nice features (like full FOW, you can't be sure where your troops really are and if they are obeying your orders - something that has been implemented in Campaigns on the Danube as well).

Aemar

Arcane
This or Scourge of War Waterloo? I see SoWW has a shit ton of DLCs though, but it's heavily discounted right now on the publisher's site (matrixgames.com).

Ali Assa Seen

Arbiter
This or Scourge of War Waterloo? I see SoWW has a shit ton of DLCs though, but it's heavily discounted right now on the publisher's site (matrixgames.com).

I can't speak for Histwar but SOW Waterloo is great if you install the Kriegspiel mod. It adds Austrian, Russian, Spanish, and a few other orders of battle to the game as well as a bunch of gameplay improvements.

Scourge of War Gettysburg is a little older but plays much the same, it also has a fantastic mod that generates a division for you which you then manage whilst playing through randomised battles with the option of playing larger online battles. So consider picking that up if you have an interest in the period

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom