Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HITMAN 2 - the new NON-episodic Hitman game

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
They only ever promise two more maps, from what I read. Think of the sniper stuff as fun little extras.

randir14

Augur
They patched in SSAO options and the new "ultra" setting looks a good bit better.

I don't think the new SSAO settings are working correctly. My fps doesn't change between minimum and ultra, and both settings have the same ugly banded look when zoomed in:

Minimum: https://i.imgur.com/XZl0vkw.jpg
Ultra: https://i.imgur.com/uRC6vlt.jpg

Dynamic sharpening and motion blur were also broken when they were originally patched in, but fixed later.

User was nabbed fit

I played the previous Hitman, but didn't even have the appetite for this one. I just couldn't get into it despite being a huge fan of the originals. I can't put my finger on it without going into great length, but it felt like they somehow killed its soul.

I wasn't a fan of having multiple targets on almost every mission.

I wasn't a fan of having to 'follow clues' step by step in a super linear fashion. You had all these cool ways to kill people, but it felt like you had to jump through a dozen hoops in most cases. The problem is it felt super boring and heavily scripted (because it was), with no real challenge -- just play along.

And finally, I wasn't a fan of the larger, pseudo-open world levels.

Sadly, this new format seems a lot more marketable in terms of selling to the masses. I don't expect a return to old form.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I don't think the new SSAO settings are working correctly. My fps doesn't change between minimum and ultra, and both settings have the same ugly banded look when zoomed in:

Mine looks much tighter and darker. I guess it could be all in my head, but I doubt it? I dunno. There's lots of people reporting graphical glitches on the Steam forum so maybe it's all over the place.

I wasn't a fan of having to 'follow clues' step by step in a super linear fashion. You had all these cool ways to kill people, but it felt like you had to jump through a dozen hoops in most cases.

You can turn all that off, like I said above. Then it's like the old ones, and your only clues are the dialog and stuff you find in the mission.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Personally, I'm not completely sold on the graphics update for Hitman 2 over Hitman (2016). It amounted to a perceptable fps drop for me, and I don't really feel a serious update in fidelity. I am upgrading at some point next year anyway, but that's not the point. The game was already looking and running fine in 2016.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Personally, I'm not completely sold on the graphics update for Hitman 2 over Hitman (2016). It amounted to a perceptable fps drop for me, and I don't really feel a serious update in fidelity. I am upgrading at some point next year anyway, but that's not the point. The game was already looking and running fine in 2016.

It also completely fucked up the lighting for the Hitman 2016 maps...

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
They later "fixed" it to some degree, but I still prefer the original. To get that though, I have to install Hitman 2016 separately from Hitman 2 :)

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I've only played 2, but I looked at YouTube comparisons and I like the warmer look of it compared to the originals.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
These "special assignments" are ass. I can't really complain because I waited for a sale and got the "gold edition" for $40, but man if I paid $100 I would have expected bonus missions on par with the ones from season one, and would have been pissed.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
106 GB! What the fuck... I want this anyway, shame I wont be able to fit it on my SSD.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Bank mission and this island thing look good, but its a shame the season pass is so expensive. The rest of the stuff looks really mediocre/shit and I have no interest in sniper missions. There is only 2 actual missions as part of this right?

Guess I gonna wait for sale... :|

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
This game is so dumb. It is just so on rails. Add poison to a drink. Get them alone and gank. Make them walk in electric puddle. Or follow the goofy "stories" in a mission to pretend to be someone. This isn't a silent assassin game, it is follow the on screen prompts to win.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Hitman games are sandboxes. It's only on rails if you want it to be on rails. That, or we're talking about Death of a Showman in Blood Money.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
How is it a "sandbox?" If I want to kill a guy by breaking his chair can I do that? No. If I want to kill a guy by injecting him with something while brushing past him, can I do that? No. If I want to choke a guy to death with a nearby rope or garden hose, can I do that? No. If I want... nevermind... it isn't a sandbox. You have like 5 options, the same 5 on every mission.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
btw does anyone enjoy the Sniper missions? I finally tried Himmelstein after ignoring it since release. After about 15 minutes I quit in disgust and pretty likely will never play it again. Not sure what the appeal is, looks like it would have been a fun 'proper walking around' mission.

One more reason the expansion looks like bad value, at least for me.

I assume its a resource thing, clearly very cheap to make these Sniper maps, but man I wish they had not started making these. Sniping in the normal missions is more than enough, and actually something I really enjoy doing.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Bank mission and this island thing look good, but its a shame the season pass is so expensive. The rest of the stuff looks really mediocre/shit and I have no interest in sniper missions. There is only 2 actual missions as part of this right?

Guess I gonna wait for sale... :|

It was $20 in the Steam Summer sale. That's when I got it. I agree $40 was too much for two maps and some very meh extras. The main game was $60 and had 6 maps.

DeepOcean

Arcane
This game is so dumb. It is just so on rails. Add poison to a drink. Get them alone and gank. Make them walk in electric puddle. Or follow the goofy "stories" in a mission to pretend to be someone. This isn't a silent assassin game, it is follow the on screen prompts to win.
If you approach with the mind of someone that wants to finish a level as I used to do, it is unsatisfying, you can finish most Hitman levels with a simple and ultra quick bullet to the head but you don't finish a level on Hitman on the usual way, you experience all the options the level gives to you, you are only truly finished as you exhausted all the ways you can dick around and have different results.

Here the challenge comes from what result you want not from just eliminating the target and accomplishing the goal, if you don't find that amusing as you just want to reach the goal on the most efficient manner, then the game will be unsatisfying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom