Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Hitman 2016 released on GOG with online-only features, gets review-bombed - now delisted

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by ferratilis, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Fronzel Neekburm Arcane Patron

Fronzel Neekburm
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I take great pride in the fact that my "Games that treat GOG customers as second class citizens"-gogmix was probably near the very top of gog's reasons for pulling the plug on them. At least that one mix lives on, you can find the corresponding spreadsheet here and you can report outdated/incomplete/otherwise inferior games in the forum thread here. What personally pissed me off the most was the underhanded way they got rid of them (there was no communication whatsoever with gogmix-creators that their mixes were about to be nuked, not even a forum thread) and the absolutely preposterous excuse they gave for nuking them: They said the feature was out-of-date and that we should use the user review system instead - which is all the more absurd when you consider that you could edit gogmixes any way you saw fit - a feature that user reviews lack to this very day, they don't even have an "Edit" button and the only way to change reviews is to contact support.

Incidentally, the community manager who said that gogmixes would be back also happened to be the guy who got fired over an innocuous Twitter joke about a week later. So that takes care of that, I suppose... That guy found a new job with gog competitor Zoom, by the way. He still regularly posts on the gog forum - much to the dismay of the resident jannies there - and hands out free advice to gog's staff how to improve the relationship with their community.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2021 at 1:33 AM
    • Brofist x 8
    • Salute x 6
    • Prestigious x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Ismaul Citizen First Class #3333 Patron

Ismaul
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    "Never support the Poles, never support the Poles" they say.

But whose pole would you have up your butt instead?

Zoom? I just found out about them, and lul is their site a copy-pasta of GOG's, but how long do you think they'll stay true? Once they get market share they'll be the one shoving poles up your butt.

I mean sure a man can always be a buttpirate.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • PIRACY IS WRONG PIRACY IS WRONG x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. racofer Thread Incliner

racofer
    So there is only one answer, then.

[​IMG]

• incline x 3
    • Fishy x 2
    • Yes x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Absolutely Haram x 1
    • PIRACY IS WRONG x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Viata Arcane

Viata
    Only support torrent trackers. Never had to care about DRM when I downloaded games on rutracker.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2
    Since we're piling on with the MaGoG hate, don't forget that time they strongly implied that they were about to close down (causing mass last-minute impulse purchases) and then went "haha, we're just rebranding!". Incredibly scummy shit.

• Yes x 6
    • Funny x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Fishy x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    • M: x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Semiurge Liturgist

Semiurge
    Are there even any good games that are designed around DRM and piecemeal DLC, aren't they mostly commercial garbage?

Most of their customers are also customers of Steam and Origin, they don't care about it.

^ Top  
  7. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    That thing was so weird. I remember downloading all my games thinking it was a real shame.

^ Top  
  8. Bad Sector Arcane Patron

Bad Sector
    Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
    GOG used to do a lot of that stuff at the past but nowadays they do not seem to bother much and instead rely on whatever the publishers give them (however the market is different since 10 years ago there weren't publishers like Nightdive that focused on restoration so GOG had to do that). GOG is also very different nowadays from 10 years ago, there are many people who used to work there and left. A company isn't made by its name, it is made by the people who make it up.

BTW the innovations you mention are how games were sold online before Steam opened to other developers. The only difference is that there wasn't a centralized place to buy that stuff, but that is something that was introduced by other stores years before GOG existed.

Zoom is much smaller than GOG (they're a handful of people) but GOG started small with just Fallout and nothing else, you can't expect a new store - especially one that is around DRM-free games which scares many publishers and developers away - to have as many games as GOG today. But personally i think it is a good idea to at least check Zoom before GOG for any game you may want to buy and mention it alongside GOG and itch.io when asking developers to release DRM-free games, if not for any other reason than just to increase the amount of DRM-free oriented stores out there. If you care about DRM-free games placing all eggs in one GOG-shaped basket isn't that great IMO.

And yeah, Jordan does look like a movie celeb, from his Discord chat (where he is very active) he likes movies so i guess it makes sense. But he also seems to like games and some of the older games on the site and scans are made from his own collection. And TBH any CEO who uses Linux to make CD images gets a point for me :-P.

Now imagine if Steam or EGS made a joke like that :-P

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    didn't we used to have a gog employee shill who posted here?

• Yes Yes x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    Yeah, Judas was his name and he's gone.
    But he was good kind of judas, so he paid his price.

• Salute x 3
    • Friendly x 3
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Azdul Augur

Azdul
    There was no golden age before Steam.

We had abominations like Direct2Drive - or even worse homegrown DRM solutions. Direct2Drive versions were sometimes incompatible with official patches and official addons - and always incompatible with unofficial patches and mods. Early Steam versions were also worse than dealing with physical copy with Securom / Safedisk. Windows Store versions still are to this day.

The ideal distribution platform for me is something used for new 8-bit and 16-bit games: Physical DRM-free copy with printed manual - which includes FTP and Torrent link in case something happens to the physical medium, or if you want to start playing even before the physical package is delivered. It's usually not cheap - but you feel like first class customer.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Bad Sector Arcane Patron

Bad Sector
    Right, but i never claimed that there was some golden age before Steam either. What i wrote was that most of the stuff you mentioned as GOG innovations wasn't anything new and existed before even Steam itself was opened to developers - actually before even Steam existed (i mentioned Steam only because it existed before GOG, not as a counter-example). However, as i also wrote, they weren't things that you'd find in centralized places but instead you'd obtain them from developers' own pages.

What Steam provided was a popular place to obtain games from a single place. However there existed marketplaces with 3rd party games before Steam opened to 3rd party developers. A lot of those were towards smaller and indie games since for the large majority of the 2000s all big fat AAA+ studios and publishers were still entrenched with retail, but they existed. Not even Steam was innovative on that front really - they just had some incredibly popular games which drove their service's adoption (something they capitalized to its fullest and quickly started piling on some good - and some not good - ideas, but the core idea of having a centralized online store for games wasn't new, if anything you could trace that back to shareware BBSs like Software Creations).

GOG (re)popularized something that existed before when everyone started ignoring the long term issues around control (e.g. who controls the games you buy) for short term convenience and even nowadays caring about such things is only a small minority among gamers does, which is why i think that it is not a good idea to put all eggs into GOG's basket and instead try to support other places like Zoom and itch.io.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. samuraigaiden Cipher

samuraigaiden
    RPG Wokedex
    Steam's biggest contribution is something everyone takes for granted now. Normalizing unlimited activations. Before Steam, having a hard limit to the number of activations was more common than not. EA kept this kind of limitations for their games well into the 2010s. And there's no better argument in favor of piracy then limited activations, even more than intrusive DRM.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. CancerUnlimited Unwanted

Unwanted
    Steam? Gog? No my fellow African American. For all my gaming needs I shop at the Corsair's Den.

Since developers have become lazy and disrespectful I have become stingy and bitter.

• PIRACY IS WRONG PIRACY IS WRONG x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Fishy Fishy x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. samuraigaiden Cipher

samuraigaiden
    RPG Wokedex
    • decline decline x 9
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The last time I talked to JudasIscariot in Steam chat not too long ago, he was still employed at GOG.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • incline incline x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Morpheus Kitami Arbiter

Morpheus Kitami
    Something that's not commonly known around here, but Gamestop used to have an online store, and that was the exact issue their store had. Even better, if they stopped selling a game, if you tried reinstalling it, the game just wouldn't start up at all.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Taluntain Most Frabjous

Taluntain
    Well, it does say Game Stop...

• Funny x 7
    • nice x 3
    • STOP! posting x 2
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Slam dunk! x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • That's an Elephant x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. samuraigaiden Cipher

samuraigaiden
    RPG Wokedex
    Eurogamer is covering the Hitman story https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ease-sparks-drm-row-review-bombing-accusation

Show Spoiler

GOG says "we will not tolerate review bombing" after Hitman release sparks online DRM backlash

Stealth takedown.

News by Wesley Yin-Poole, Editor

Updated on 25 September 2021
    Hitman - Game of The Year Edition launched on GOG.com this week - and immediately sparked a row about DRM.

GOG is a storefront whose brand is built upon selling games "DRM free" - that is, they can be played offline.

Hitman's GOG page, like that of so many games on the platform, highlights that it is DRM free. "No activation or online connection required to play," reads the prominent message.
    While Hitman's story and bonus missions can be played offline, its Escalation missions, Elusive Targets and user-created Contracts require an online connection. This is a warning also displayed prominently on Hitman's GOG store page, although customers say the game launched without it.

What has emerged since is you also have to be online to unlock new equipment, starting locations, to get mission scores and level up your location mastery.

All this combined caused some GOG users to leave negative reviews for the game complaining about the online nature of certain parts of the experience.

At the time of this article's publication, Hitman was on a 1.4/5 overall rating - a terrible user score for a game that was met with critical acclaim upon release.

Most of the reviews mention "online DRM". "You can play through the game with the basic options, but many features, such as unlocking weapons, items, outfits, starting locations and more are locked behind an online requirement," wrote user Cube1701 in their 1/5 stars review. "The GOG page does not make this clear and is extremely misleading."

"The only worthwhile AAA stealth game in years (so long as you disable hints and X-ray vision) but over five years later, IO still refuse to implement a proper offline mode so bare minimum, you don't need to be online to unlock new equipment, starting locations, outfits, etc," wrote HeavilyAugmented in another 1/5 stars review.

"In other words, playing the game offline means you never unlock new content and you'll have to start with a default loadout of a regular suit and silenced pistol always."

"This game doesn't belong here," said talen.zero.
    GOG responded via a forum post that told disgruntled customers they are free to refund Hitman if they're not happy, and to issue a warning over "review bombing".

"Thank you for bringing this topic to our attention," reads a statement issued by a rep called "chandra".

"We're looking into it and will be updating you in the coming weeks. In case you have purchased Hitman and are not satisfied with the released version, you can use your right to refund the game. At the same time, while we're open for meritful discussion and feedback, we will not tolerate review bombing and will be removing posts that do not follow our review guidelines."

As you'd expect, this statement didn't gone down well, and the thread is packed with negative replies that take issue with GOG using the phrase "review bombing" to describe what is going on here.

Chandra followed up to say GOG will not remove reviews that provide information on Hitman the storefront currently does not, rather those reviews that "are against our review guidelines".

But that has done little to calm the negative reaction. At the heart of it is what some feel is the breach of GOG's main selling point: DRM-free ownership. Those familiar with 2016's Hitman will know much of the game depends upon an online connection. The question is whether GOG should be selling such a game as it works now in the first place.

Meanwhile, customers are debating what kind of update GOG will provide "in the coming weeks". Will a special version of Hitman be made just for GOG, one that can be played entirely offline? We'll see.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2021 at 1:33 AM
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Fishy Fishy x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. racofer Thread Incliner

racofer
    • Funny x 16
    • Slam dunk! x 3
    • nice x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Boleskine Arcane

Boleskine
    The writing has been on the while for a long time. After the fiasco in how GOG introduced regional pricing, it was clear that any core pillar of their business was expendable.

:smug:

I'm not mad at GOG or anything. I'm glad they exist and did what they did with old games while providing a viable competitor to Steam.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Salute Salute x 2
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. lukaszek the determinator Patron

lukaszek
    gog had one job
    Show Spoiler
    bringing gorasul to their store :negative:

• Despair x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. racofer Thread Incliner

racofer
    Rock Paper Shotgun joins the fray:
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/hi...ting-slammed-for-its-lack-of-offline-features

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2021 at 12:20 PM
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. racofer Thread Incliner

racofer
    And now PC Gamer:
    https://www.pcgamer.com/au/gog-users-arent-happy-about-hitmans-online-requirements/

Mission accomplished, I would say. GOG wanted publicity and now they have it, following the footsteps of their sibling CDPR. Papa CD Projekt must be proud.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2021 at 12:20 PM
    • Funny Funny x 8
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Bad Sector Arcane Patron

Bad Sector
    You are seeing this through the filter of overhyped bighuge fat AAA+ releases, the vast majority of games never had limited number of activations - which is exactly why when games like Bioshock, etc, came out (that did have limited installations) they were news.

Also Steam never forbade activation limits, here is a list of games that use hardware DRM which is used exactly for that.

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.