Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HITMAN 3 - final chapter of the nu-Hitman trilogy - now available on Steam

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
"Cinematic", bullshit.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, the only kind of cinematic trailer that would make sense would be the mission briefing itself. Nobody is going to jump with excitement at the sight of skyscrapers and 47 walking around in different modes. A big-boobs bimbo would have made an impression in this format of video, but 47 wearing different disguises? They don't know their audience.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
If it's like the last two games what do you really need to show to get people to buy it? New levels with the same great level design.

Kerghnox

Novice
A skyscraper level is a great idea, the lack of working elevators means it won't be as good as it could be though.

A skyscraper level is a great idea, the lack of working elevators means it won't be as good as it could be though.
Is that an engine limitation? I really noticed a lack of elevators when compared to the previous games.

Kerghnox

Novice
Is that an engine limitation? I really noticed a lack of elevators when compared to the previous games.
That's what they claim. I'm not entirely convinced by this excuse after the RTX crashes took almost a year to be fixed. It feels like the talent is all in the level design teams, which is a good thing when it comes to stealth games.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I stopped all RTX crashes by switching to DX12 I believe, but yeah they don't seem to have the biggest tech team to tackle issues. Part of going indie I guess.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Hope it's actually 6 locations and not 5 locations and a training level, but who am I kidding.

I wonder if there will be DLC episodes again considering the final map presumably ends the story (such as it is). Maybe they'll do a Patient Zero style bonus campaign for DLC.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Hope it's actually 6 locations and not 5 locations and a training level, but who am I kidding.

I wonder if there will be DLC episodes again considering the final map presumably ends the story (such as it is). Maybe they'll do a Patient Zero style bonus campaign for DLC.
I hope so, more novelty locations unrelated to the ongoing Spy Thriller plot. Though I also hope they'll bring back the Map Remixes they had in Season 1 alongside that.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
>Endgame
>Dramatic Conclusion
>End of a Journey
>Closure
>Has to be right.

Here's hoping this philosophy results in something great.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
I just want a game about complex heists or killings which I can pull off, or investigate them, NOT a game about the deep and infinitely interesting character of the persons who are doing the heists, killings or investigations.
Always wanted to see an espionage game like that. There are motives connecting the missions, but they are uncovered through challenges, eavesdropping, and reading between the lines. Espionage is 9/10 deception, obfuscating the big picture as much as possible, but an outline of something's there if you pay attention. There's no plot or reason to an agent though, only motivations. The opposite of a spy thriller.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Are the new Hitman games actually good?

I liked the old Hitman games like Silent Assassin, Contracts and Blood Money. Absolution was meh and I assumed the IP was going to get Thief'd.
It's one of the exceptionally rare cases of a game series making a comeback after a horrible misstep. The nu-Hitman games are in the mold of Blood Money but expanded and improved in every way. That means sandbox style, though, so don't expect the more set-piece style Contracts missions let alone Silent Assassin. It's also more challenging than Blood Money, which was a cakewalk, provided you turn off all the UI assistance.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I just watched the "end of a journey" video. They can take the "darker" and "more serious" style and shove it.

Ash

Arcane
Are the new Hitman games actually good?

I liked the old Hitman games like Silent Assassin, Contracts and Blood Money. Absolution was meh and I assumed the IP was going to get Thief'd.
It's one of the exceptionally rare cases of a game series making a comeback after a horrible misstep. The nu-Hitman games are in the mold of Blood Money but expanded and improved in every way. That means sandbox style, though, so don't expect the more set-piece style Contracts missions let alone Silent Assassin. It's also more challenging than Blood Money, which was a cakewalk, provided you turn off all the UI assistance.

Hmm. Thanks for the info. Was wondering if it was worth risking this after Absoluteshit. Updated my .txt

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
We've already got a mix of styles in like 14 maps and multiple side missions. I'm fine with some darker stuff near the end. Variance is good.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Given the premise the circumstances this Season is being developed with and in, we ought to expect something more spectacular and showy than the prior episodes. Which worries me.

Last edited:

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
We've already got a mix of styles in like 14 maps and multiple side missions. I'm fine with some darker stuff near the end. Variance is good.
Yeah, Hitman series has always oscillated between darkly serious and darkly comical in tone anyway. Blood Money was definitely far on the comic side. Chicken suits, redneck wedding, playboy party with a yapping dog, clown suits, etc. Meanwhile Contracts was on the grim side, with every mission taking place on a rainy night, BDSM parties with dismembered girls, etc.

Given the premise the circumstances this Season is being developed with and in, we ought to expect something more spectacular and showy than the prior episodes. Which worries me.
I wouldn't mind seeing more focused, set-piece based missions. Obviously not full on linear, but missions like Deadly Cargo in Contracts where you can disguise yourself and engage in a raid alongside a SWAT team, or the Bjarkov Bomb that involves more elaborate objectives. I like the sandbox style too but after Mumbai and Colombia missions I am somewhat burned out on those sprawling maps. They can always opt for doing more spectacular missions for the campaign and then use the map for freeform assassinations later on. Like how the Hokkaido level was used for the elaborate Patient Zero final mission, but also can be used for the more sandboxy campaign and snow festival missions.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Really enjoyed 1 & 2 in the 'reboot' series, looking forward to this one.

The AI is hilarious, but it's the perennial problem of stealth games... if it were realistic it'd be impossible. Anyway they tick the main box a game should.... great fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom