Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HITMAN 3 - final chapter of the nu-Hitman trilogy - now available on Steam

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

maydaymemer

Educated

final roadmap til freelancer is out. incredibly barren. cant wait for freelancer. to summarize:
* ALREADY OUT - new unlocks: exploding present and toy robot flash grenade in christmas paris. arcade mode batch unlocks a golden ak 47
* LATE DECEMBER - featured contracts on the 15th, badboy ET at the end of the month
* JANUARY - new unlock in hokkaido thats an ice gun, featured contracts on the 12th, the forger ET that's likely going to be the final ever live elusive and theyre probably gonna release them all permanently (speculation)
* FREELANCER - jan 26

Caim

Arcane
Did the Marrakesh mission and the Bangkok mission.

Wasn't a big fan of Marrakesh. The main locations in the mission (the embassy, the school, the lounge) are fun enough but not very large (especially the lounge), but they do what they need to. My main gripe were the streets, which are winding, too busy to do much of anything in them and all the people there slow you down a lot, without being actually a challenge to navigate aside from reading the map. The general is pretty easy to eliminate even with zero preparation on your behalf, but the Swede is a bit trickier to eliminate.

I enjoyed Bangkok a lot more. The structure of the mission reminds be a lot of Paris: staff in the bottom of the large building, bigwigs at the top and have at it. I do feel that there's a lot more freedom to this mission than to Paris, where there were only a few ways to get to the top of the building and one of your targets. I've done it only once so far but I'm certain I haven't seen shit of the level yet, even with having one target eliminate the other.

I've also done the Christmas mission, which was piss easy. Find one target alone in the basement, shoot him and hide the body. Then go up top, find the second target, shoot him while the techie there is looking away, hide his body, exfiltrate. Sure it's not the most glamorous way to do it, but I still got Silent Assassin. At least I've got the Santa suit now.

Next up is Colorado, which from what I've heard is the worst mission in the entire trilogy. Oh boy.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
How close is Peacock to emulating progression on the servers? Because let's face it, H1-3 servers will not be up forever, and when they go down, you'll have no way to play the game as intended - gradual acquisition of weapons & equipment. Oh, sure, you can be one of those idiots that likes everything unlocked at the beginning of the playthrough using current builds of Peacock, but where's the fun in that?

maydaymemer

Educated
How close is Peacock to emulating progression on the servers? Because let's face it, H1-3 servers will not be up forever, and when they go down, you'll have no way to play the game as intended - gradual acquisition of weapons & equipment. Oh, sure, you can be one of those idiots that likes everything unlocked at the beginning of the playthrough using current builds of Peacock, but where's the fun in that?
Its coming out sometime in february according to the peacock people

maydaymemer

Educated
Did the Marrakesh mission and the Bangkok mission.

Wasn't a big fan of Marrakesh. The main locations in the mission (the embassy, the school, the lounge) are fun enough but not very large (especially the lounge), but they do what they need to. My main gripe were the streets, which are winding, too busy to do much of anything in them and all the people there slow you down a lot, without being actually a challenge to navigate aside from reading the map. The general is pretty easy to eliminate even with zero preparation on your behalf, but the Swede is a bit trickier to eliminate.

I enjoyed Bangkok a lot more. The structure of the mission reminds be a lot of Paris: staff in the bottom of the large building, bigwigs at the top and have at it. I do feel that there's a lot more freedom to this mission than to Paris, where there were only a few ways to get to the top of the building and one of your targets. I've done it only once so far but I'm certain I haven't seen shit of the level yet, even with having one target eliminate the other.

I've also done the Christmas mission, which was piss easy. Find one target alone in the basement, shoot him and hide the body. Then go up top, find the second target, shoot him while the techie there is looking away, hide his body, exfiltrate. Sure it's not the most glamorous way to do it, but I still got Silent Assassin. At least I've got the Santa suit now.

Next up is Colorado, which from what I've heard is the worst mission in the entire trilogy. Oh boy.
Im very much not a fan of bangkok at all, but I enjoy reading these and hope u do more. you should try A House Built on Sand, a bonus mission for Marrakesh which uses the streets in a fun way

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Its coming out sometime in february according to the peacock people
Wow, that's sooner than I expected.

Caim

Arcane
Finished Colorado and Hokkaido.

I see now why people don't like Colorado all that much. The map feels like a series of concentric circles with increasing levels of security based on your outfit. The place looks bland and samey, the people all blended together and the most interesting part about the place is the house in the back. Four targets is too much, and it felt more like I was going through a checklist rather than staging a daring assassination against a series of targets that need to be eliminateded for the good of the world. Hell, aside from the leader guy Sean Rose the rest felt like a bunch of hanger-ons. Still I took them all out: the Tamil Tiger got sent from an apricot farm to Ram Ranch thanks to their spring-loaded Battle Bot, the Interpol traitor was laughably easy lured away then made to eat shit and die, Michael Myers initially got detonated by a gas leak but since that sent the boss into high alert I reloaded, garroted him and stuffed him into a locker, and I gave the boss a bad trip by drugging his cigs and triggering his OCD. From there I was only a single 3D print away from the exit and the reveal that the boss man sold the ICA out because he needs a heart transplant. Even though I got a good score in my first go (hit mastery 9), I still want to work up to mastery 15 for that sweet silenced sniper rifle.

On to Hokkaido. This one has two obvious gimmicks: you can't bring anything into the map barring smuggled items until you hit mastery 20, and your clothes literally open doors now. It's pretty obvious that if you snatch the hospital director's outfit you can go anywhere, but I have to figure out how you can get his outfit. Once I found the correct outfit the place more or less turned into a mix of Paris with a bit of Sapienza sprinkled in: a large public area with non-hostile NPCs with several restricted areas where your targets are. Only two targets this time, but given the boss' static nature he's less of a "target" and more akin to the FOXDIE virus you destroy in Sapienza: the target remains in one place and it's up to you to figure out how to turn Soders into Sodon't, except here it's a lot more difficult. The lawyer meanwhile is a more conventional target you can shoot, strangle, poison or drown in a toilet. I opten to make make her some killer sushi, going from fugu to fugone. The boss man was eliminated in a more elegant and cruel version: I crushed his heart. And with no replacement on the way... well, that must've been nasty.

Putting the levels into a rating I'd go with Hokkaido being the best so far, then Sapienza (it feels that far more of Hokkaido is utilized compared to Sapienza's big scale but most of the action is confined into one place), Bangkok, Paris (which feels similar to Bangkok but smaller and less complex, Marrakesh and Colorado last.

I still want to prod at these levels some more to figure out a number of things, unlock new stuff and overall increase my skill. Maybe take a look at the Patient Zero campaign as well, see what that's about and get some extra mastery out of the deal. I've already done the New Zealand mission before, which was an interesting twist on the rest of the missions so far, even if the level was small, simple and not very dangerous. Next up is Miami, which is supposedly one of the best missions in the entire trilogy.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Next up is Miami, which is supposedly one of the best missions in the entire trilogy.
Miami is one of the better maps in 2, but best mission in the trilogy? I'd say it's the best map to feature the large outdoor crowd mechanics, the other maps that have large crowds in outdoor areas, like Mumbai, feel too big and disjointed for their own good. But I'd put Whittleton Creek above Miami as far as Hitman 2 missions go, and Isle of Sgail is up there as well, personally I like the bank job level a lot too although it is quite different from a standard mission. Having not played 3, the best missions in the new series for me are Hokkaido and Sapienza. I think I like Hokkaido a lot because it feels like a Contracts/Silent Assassin mission in the new engine, and Sapienza is the best example of their missions focused on outdoor, public spaces.

Caim

Arcane
Got Miami and Santa Fortuna under my belt.

I see now why Miami is a fan favorite. Big map with loads to do, all sorts of ways to approach your targets and a few choices with Sierra for how to get rid of her. There's a nice contrast between Robert being surrounded by bodyguards and Sierra by normal people, so you can't just get rid of them. Not that they're particularly difficult to get rid of, but it's a nice contrast. I went for the poisoned IV drip for Sierra and the killer robot for Robert, which counted as both the headshot and accident tasks as well, which was nice. There's a lot more to see here, and I'm definitely going to put some more time into this location. When I tried poisoning Sierra I had to get rid of the other driver, so I opted to poison his drink with an enemic poison in an attempt to get him disqualified, which unfortunately didn't work. So I knocked him out and stuffed him in a closet.

Santa Fortuna was a sharp contrast. The bright colors of Miami made way for drab brown, grey and green, with only the mansion providing some contrast. But that's only a small portion of the map, with the rest being underground tunnels, a plantation or enough jungle to give me flashbacks to Metal Gear Solid 3. This is one of those "multiple targets that don't affect or meet one another" missions (aside from at least one meeting at the statue), and eliminating them doesn't affect the others. There's a lot of legging it between the locations with little movement between them, but I liked the sneaking you have to do in the sections themselves to get the job done. Martinez got to take a dive in a pit of wet concrete, Jorge got fed into his coke machine like the Moroccan general got printing pressed, and Delgato himself got hit with a submarine. In the jungle I stumbled upon the box holding the part for the machine and figured that I could get the box down by throwing something at it, which worked.

Mumbai up next. I'm not sure how close this one is going to be to Marrakesh, but we'll see. I did end up liking Santa Fortuna more than I thought I would, and Miami is definitely one of my favorites so far.

maydaymemer

Educated
Got Miami and Santa Fortuna under my belt.

I see now why Miami is a fan favorite. Big map with loads to do, all sorts of ways to approach your targets and a few choices with Sierra for how to get rid of her. There's a nice contrast between Robert being surrounded by bodyguards and Sierra by normal people, so you can't just get rid of them. Not that they're particularly difficult to get rid of, but it's a nice contrast. I went for the poisoned IV drip for Sierra and the killer robot for Robert, which counted as both the headshot and accident tasks as well, which was nice. There's a lot more to see here, and I'm definitely going to put some more time into this location. When I tried poisoning Sierra I had to get rid of the other driver, so I opted to poison his drink with an enemic poison in an attempt to get him disqualified, which unfortunately didn't work. So I knocked him out and stuffed him in a closet.

Santa Fortuna was a sharp contrast. The bright colors of Miami made way for drab brown, grey and green, with only the mansion providing some contrast. But that's only a small portion of the map, with the rest being underground tunnels, a plantation or enough jungle to give me flashbacks to Metal Gear Solid 3. This is one of those "multiple targets that don't affect or meet one another" missions (aside from at least one meeting at the statue), and eliminating them doesn't affect the others. There's a lot of legging it between the locations with little movement between them, but I liked the sneaking you have to do in the sections themselves to get the job done. Martinez got to take a dive in a pit of wet concrete, Jorge got fed into his coke machine like the Moroccan general got printing pressed, and Delgato himself got hit with a submarine. In the jungle I stumbled upon the box holding the part for the machine and figured that I could get the box down by throwing something at it, which worked.

Mumbai up next. I'm not sure how close this one is going to be to Marrakesh, but we'll see. I did end up liking Santa Fortuna more than I thought I would, and Miami is definitely one of my favorites so far.
Mumbai definitely is a lot more interconnected than SF even if its just as big I think youll enjoy it

Beggar

Cipher
Replayed all the missions once again before starting Hitman 3 missions and this version is way worse. Performance is trash, countless bugs as well. I spent around 40h in Hitman and Hitman 2 but never encountered a single one

Caim

Arcane
Knocked out Mumbai, Whittleton and Sgàil before the new year.

Mumbai feels like Marrakesh but better. It still has the winding streets but instead of being corridors that connect the map's areas of interest it feels like an actual place. The tower was fairly conventional: work your way up, get disguises along the way and find your way to the target. The trainyard/washery was another case of manouvering the target to where you can reach them. The final target not having a face to the name was an interesting take, so you either have to track the guy down or get called to him in his underground lair. Shoutout to my man the Kashmirian who did the actual killing for me with the first two targets and letting me get close to the third.

I know that Whittleton Creek is a shoutout to a fan favorite level in Blood Money (which I haven't played), and it was a nice change of pace. The busy streets of Mumbai make way for a sleepy Vermont suburb, which might very well be the smallest map in the series. It's also extremely flat, and climbing buildings is much more of a requirement to get to places where you need to go. Janus sticking to his house with its many but small windows gives you very limited angles of attack with a gun. That's what I ended up doing anyway when I tried faking being a nurse but it didn't work out and I couldn't find the trick to make it work and give Janus a medical exam, so I just snuck out of the house, built some distance and sniped him with my pistol. The head guard was laughably easy to deal with by taking him on the house tour, which was a pretty funny sequence of events with 47 trying to sell the house. From what I've read the clue collection thing is mandatory every time, which can get a bit annoying in subsequent playthroughs.

Finally Sgàil. This one's essentially Paris cranked up to 12. The level is huge, the people are richer, the occasion is grander, the clothing more extravagant. At its core it's still one big fortress to pick apart, which made it one of those levels but with more legwork. The funeral sequence was fun (and a shoutout to Blood Money, which I have no nostalgia for), and there's a few more fun missions in store. The second sister got dealt with after a council featuring the boney versions of the Culter Dei, where she threatened a man while facing an iron maiden instead of him. Not the brightest candle in the chandelier, that one. I did went to pick up the Constant, and walking him to the boat was unusual as well. Having him at your mercy was tense because something could go wrong at a moment's notice, empowering because you're breathing down a target's neck and they fully know it, and... well, a bit boring because nothing actually happened aside from a bit of talking.

With the main missions out of the way there's the two expansion missions to go, and from there it's on to Hitman 3.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah Colorado sucked. Too flat, not much opportunity to go vertical unlike the other missions, and security is so tight you have a hard time getting around. Didn't like this one a lot, but enjoyed every other mission of the games.

maydaymemer

Educated
Replayed all the missions once again before starting Hitman 3 missions and this version is way worse. Performance is trash, countless bugs as well. I spent around 40h in Hitman and Hitman 2 but never encountered a single one
Hitman 3 seems way more polished to me than 2 but 1 was the most polished definitely. You can fix it all with mods tho
Knocked out Mumbai, Whittleton and Sgàil before the new year.

Mumbai feels like Marrakesh but better. It still has the winding streets but instead of being corridors that connect the map's areas of interest it feels like an actual place. The tower was fairly conventional: work your way up, get disguises along the way and find your way to the target. The trainyard/washery was another case of manouvering the target to where you can reach them. The final target not having a face to the name was an interesting take, so you either have to track the guy down or get called to him in his underground lair. Shoutout to my man the Kashmirian who did the actual killing for me with the first two targets and letting me get close to the third.

I know that Whittleton Creek is a shoutout to a fan favorite level in Blood Money (which I haven't played), and it was a nice change of pace. The busy streets of Mumbai make way for a sleepy Vermont suburb, which might very well be the smallest map in the series. It's also extremely flat, and climbing buildings is much more of a requirement to get to places where you need to go. Janus sticking to his house with its many but small windows gives you very limited angles of attack with a gun. That's what I ended up doing anyway when I tried faking being a nurse but it didn't work out and I couldn't find the trick to make it work and give Janus a medical exam, so I just snuck out of the house, built some distance and sniped him with my pistol. The head guard was laughably easy to deal with by taking him on the house tour, which was a pretty funny sequence of events with 47 trying to sell the house. From what I've read the clue collection thing is mandatory every time, which can get a bit annoying in subsequent playthroughs.

Finally Sgàil. This one's essentially Paris cranked up to 12. The level is huge, the people are richer, the occasion is grander, the clothing more extravagant. At its core it's still one big fortress to pick apart, which made it one of those levels but with more legwork. The funeral sequence was fun (and a shoutout to Blood Money, which I have no nostalgia for), and there's a few more fun missions in store. The second sister got dealt with after a council featuring the boney versions of the Culter Dei, where she threatened a man while facing an iron maiden instead of him. Not the brightest candle in the chandelier, that one. I did went to pick up the Constant, and walking him to the boat was unusual as well. Having him at your mercy was tense because something could go wrong at a moment's notice, empowering because you're breathing down a target's neck and they fully know it, and... well, a bit boring because nothing actually happened aside from a bit of talking.

With the main missions out of the way there's the two expansion missions to go, and from there it's on to Hitman 3.
Yea the two expansion missions are essential for anyone playing this trilogy imo. Theyre excellent

ADL

Prophet
Peacock Project people saying that Freelancer compatibility should be ready on day of release thanks to the playtests. Probably gonna play retail for a couple weeks until unlock progression is released but I appreciate the compatibility day one.

Beggar

Cipher
Finished this one yesterday and I liked it more than 1 and 2. First mission Dubai was kinda soulless and boring but after that everything was pure gold. It was all building up until the china mission where it all peaked for me. They really hit the spot in this part. Before 3 I wasn't sure I like nu hitman, but now I'm convinced :salute:

Last edited:

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Here we go again.

$70 for the base games and the maps released for free, $30 for the maps and escalations that were paid expansions for H2 and H3; grand total of $100 USD for everything. At least that convoluted buying flowchart will be obsolete for future generations now.
cfnqsnldc1d81.png

maydaymemer

Educated
Here we go again.

$70 for the base games and the maps released for free, $30 for the maps and escalations that were paid expansions for H2 and H3; grand total of $100 USD for everything. At least that convoluted buying flowchart will be obsolete for future generations now.
cfnqsnldc1d81.png
Another thing that people might miss is theyre delisting the first two games and making it so if you own Hitman 3 at all you get the first two game's levels for free. So right now it's what? 20 dollars on steam? Get it now, save 50
-
As for the decision itself, there's stuff I can nitpick about it like why not have it all as one package but im glad they finally bit the bullet and completely cleaned house. Treating the whole trilogy as one game with a bit of DLC is a good idea, even if I think they really should just have made the New York and Haven DLC part of the main package. But then that'd involve breaking up stuff that's part of one package into another because those were always separate, unlike the DLC for Hitman 1 which is included with the standard package because it's always been part of it
-
This is like the third or fourth time they've released Hitman 3. Once on Stadia where they released it as 1&2 then updated it to the H3 client later, once on Epic and every consoles, then on Steam with the confusing editions, now this with the rebrand

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Gotta respect iOi's innovation. They make one game and then support the careers of 200 employees for the next 10 years by selling that same game over and over again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom