Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HITMAN 3 - final chapter of the nu-Hitman trilogy - now available on Steam

Ghulgothas

Arcane
They'll probably have a "HITMAN: World of Assassination Trilogy" or whatever collection/bundle out by the time this is on Steam. Best to wait till then if you've not already bought in.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The world of assassination trilogy really wasn't that interesting story wise, I miss the old 47.

The overall story is pretty dumb and badly presented, but the stories in the levels themselves are pretty good IMO. I tend to just ignore the overall narrative and focus on the stuff inside the level.

Any word on how Hitman 1 and 2 levels work in this? I assume it's tied to my IOI account since they went with Epic, but I haven't read anything about all three being inside the game.

DemonKing

Arcane
enjoyed the first 2 seasons I'll likely pick this up day 1 oh wait....shit lol I keep forgetting about the EGS exclusivity lol

I hope the Dubai level includes more scaling of the skyscraper exterior than this video shows. Say what you like about Mission Impossible/Tom Cruise but that sequence was great:

IOI dev said:
One thing I think all of you will be happy to hear is that we have managed to get the size of the game down significantly. All three games with all content will take up around 100 GB. […] Biggest wins are because of data management and file structures and how we deliver the game so we could remove duplicate data. We also use newer and better compression for textures.

A reminder that on windows 10 you can already use the compact powershell command to shrink your bloated Hitman 1/2 game folder down to one third of its size and get it to run smoother too.
https://github.com/ImminentFate/CompactGUI/wiki/Archived-Compression-Results:-Games

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Apparently IOI stated our Hitman 1 and 2 levels will port over from Steam to the Epic version of Hitman 3, FYI. I assume they'll just use your IOI account to verify ownership. Not sure if that was clear before, I definitely had questions.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Previews are out.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ke-a-well-deserved-victory-lap-for-ios-series

Hitman 3 feels like a well-deserved victory lap for IO's series
Hands-on and new footage of Agent 47's farewell tour.

Hitman 3's an odd one, though if you've been along for the ride thus far you'll know to expect as much. Just as Hitman 2 wasn't really a sequel in the traditional video game sense, so too Hitman 3 isn't so much an excuse to fold in big new features and bold new ideas as it is simply a third season of new murderous playpens to participate in, and what amounts to a conclusion to the World of Assassination story which IO Interactive began with 2016's reboot. It feels like something of a victory lap, though there aren't many contemporary series more worthy of their moment of glory than Hitman.

What you're getting here is a series of fresh theatre sets through which to guide Agent 47, and after a half dozen hours with a handful of levels I'm thinking these might well be the best batch yet. Dubai, which Ian Higton explores in all its murderous detail in the video below, is a visual tour de force - the gilded halls of its hypertech skyscrapers are the kind of thing that has me salivating for the raytracing update that's coming post-launch - and its glitz and glamour whets the appetite for IO Interactive's future take on the world of James Bond. There's even a new gadget to play with that might well have come from Q's lab, a high-tech camera that opens up whole new possibilities.

Dartmoor, meanwhile, has more of a Knives Out vibe - or, more classically speaking, something of Agatha Christie in the delightfully contorted murder mystery that plays out within its polished walnut interiors. It's a masterclass in the kind of storytelling that Hitman has excelled at across its history, and has refined once again with this most recent trilogy; there are stories unfurling amongst those in the servants quarters, and stories unfurling between the family they serve, allowing you to pick your way through it and bringing threads crashing playfully together. It offers the same sort of thrill as some of Punchdrunk's finest productions.

Which makes the PlayStation VR functionality that's coming to Hitman 3 - and, by extension, coming to every level that's featured in this Hitman trilogy. It's not something I've been able to try myself just yet, but I was able to talk to executive producer Forest Swartout Large about the feature. "We actually kicked off the project with VR," she says. "The project was seeded with a passion for VR from the beginning. Of course, we haven't done a VR game ourselves, and there's so many systems to support. We didn't quite know what we were getting ourselves into."

It's an incredible amount of work for what's a small, vocal and often under-served audience, and going from the extended look we had recently at the mode it looks like an entirely new experience. It's a PlayStation-exclusive, for now, and there are some idiosyncrasies to it all - Move controllers aren't supported, and if you want to play via backwards compatibility on a PlayStation 5 you'll still have to use a PS4 DualShock as your input method. There will be some benefits to those playing on PlayStation 5, though, such as loading time improvements.

The PlayStation 5 version will also feature DualSense support. "We had designers who were arguing for fighting for some custom implementation, like mission specific or environment specific interactions and implementation," says Large. "Where we landed is a bit of both. And it's super cool - you know, both the adaptive triggers and new haptics are pretty darn exciting."

It should be one hell of a full stop for this iteration of Hitman, and an impressive sign-off from IO Interactive before they partake on their James Bond adventure. Not that the studio's saying goodbye of course - I'm sure they know better than to never say never again. "When we come back to Hitman, you know, we want to be able to bring a fresh take," says Large, "and to have the creative freedom to do what we feel is right for us." There'll also be post-launch support, though unlike previous games this won't be new areas and rather a repurposing of those being offered up in Hitman 3.

It's a known quantity, then, but that's no real bad thing, and across all three entries I think it's pretty much mission-accomplished for this iteration of Hitman. So farewell for now, 47. It's been a blast.

https://www.pcgamer.com/solving-a-murder-mystery-in-hitman-3s-coolest-new-level/

Solving a murder mystery in Hitman 3's coolest new level
If anyone knows how to get into the mind of a killer, it's this guy.

Five years after rebooting Hitman, creating arguably the best games in the series in the process, developer IO Interactive is ready to finish its trilogy. Hitman 3 is the final outing for this particular iteration of the world's baldest assassin, and based on the two levels I've played, it seems like he's going out in style. But it's worth noting that this is a spiritual and mechanical continuation of the previous two Hitmen, rather than something completely new. If you've played the first two games, you'll instantly feel at home.

The next big leap for the Hitman series likely doesn't exist anywhere outside of an idea-scrawled whiteboard deep in IO's Copenhagen HQ. But that doesn't mean Hitman 3 is a complete retread of what's come before. Agent 47 has a few new tricks up his immaculately tailored sleeve, some of which I got a taste of in a preview build containing two complete levels: Dubai and Dartmoor.

The Dubai level, set atop a giant spire of a skyscraper, is classic Hitman. An opulent hangout for the elite, with grandiose architecture, wealthy assholes standing around eating canapés, and gun-toting security guards whose uniforms are conveniently a perfect fit for Agent 47. There's a large central atrium, a secure upper floor, and a maze of corridors behind the scenes with plenty of blind corners, utility rooms, and secluded bathrooms to help you dodge guards and hide bodies. 47 enters the level via a death-defying parachute drop: an early glimpse, perhaps, of IO's forthcoming Bond game.

As you might expect from this studio, it's beautiful to look at, with immense gilded palm trees, reflecting pools, a trippy modern art exhibit, and a dramatic view across a cloud-covered Dubai. But it's perhaps a little too conservative in terms of design, with a familiar layout and flow that Hitman veterans will have no trouble figuring out. However, as this is the very first level in the game—and contains some light tutorial elements—this is likely by design. It serves as a relatively gentle introduction to help ease new or lapsed players in before things get more interesting later.

Which they definitely do in the next level, Dartmoor. On a stretch of rugged, overcast English moorland, guards with shotguns slung over their backs patrol the perimeter of a grand, dusty old manor. Any Hitman level set in a big house is always a winner, but in this one there's the added intrigue of a murder mystery. 47 can disguise himself as a private investigator and solve a murder involving a family of deeply horrible people who all hate each other—and who are all, naturally, suspects. I didn't really know what to expect from Hitman 3's newest batch of levels, but a clever riff on Knives Out? IO is full of surprises. It's a classic Agatha Christie-style mystery too, with the victim murdered in a locked room.

Of the two levels, Dartmoor is the most interesting and unique. The house itself is brilliantly designed, with gloomy painting-lined corridors opening up into bright, airy drawing rooms. And the house itself is as ridden with secrets as the family who owns it, with hidden chambers, crawl spaces secretly connecting the rooms, and peepholes for spying on people. The perfect setting for a murder—and for a shiny-headed would-be Poirot to solve it.

There's an assassination target in the level too—the matriarch of the family—who can be taken out in a number of typically creative, amusing ways. This is still very much a Hitman level, but wrapped around a fun investigation gimmick that's unlike anything we've seen in the series before. It does dilute the purity of the assassination sandbox a little, with most of the level built around cracking the case. I also had an issue with 47's handler, Diana, telling me to present my evidence to someone I'd just killed. The game failed to recognise this and the scripting of the level fell apart. Hopefully this gets fixed.

A new addition to Hitman 3 is a digital camera. This will always be in 47's inventory, even if you don't select it as part of his starting loadout, and honestly, I'm not sure about it. I like the fact that it acts as a kind of limited photo mode, letting you take a closer look at—and take snaps of—IO's reliably incredible environment design. But its in-game function, where it acts as a kind of futuristic scanner, feels pretty out of place. You can scan things in the environment to reveal intel, or electronic access points to remotely open doors and windows. But it feels like a new feature for the sake of it, rather than something the well-established Hitman formula actually needed.

Hitman 3 is set for release on January 20 and it's shaping up to be a fine end to a spectacular trilogy. These are some of the best stealth puzzle boxes on PC, and soon you'll be able to have every level from 1, 2, and 3 in a single massive, endlessly replayable package. It remains to be seen whether the rest of Hitman 3's levels achieve a similar level of quality, but IO knows what it's doing, and I expect the studio will want to go out on a high. The Dartmoor murder mystery certainly has me excited about what other surprises it has in store.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
With about 24 missions total, rehashed and banded together in Hitman 3, it seems it's time for this franchise to rest for a few years while IOI put out the 007 game.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I definitely think this is really a finale. They have said so themselves, and the big deluxe package doesn't even promise mission DLCs so I'm guessing the final level wraps things up pretty definitively.

Not gonna lie tho, I'd buy some remix missions like season one got. Season two's were lame though.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Still bitter about the exclusivity deal, but I still think the full package all three seasons will compose in the future will be a damn good franchise capstone for Hitman as a whole for the next few years. Can’t think of a better series of games whose quality and accessibility has been this maligned by external factors this generation.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Season 1's original missions were better than the updated versions they put in Season 2. The lighting was different than what was intended in Season 1 and for me it never felt the same as the original.

The exclusivity deal means I'll probably have played it pirated by the time I'm able to buy it on steam, and as usual I'll wait for 50% off. At least I'll be ok knowing that Tim Sweeny prepaid for my pirated copy.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
At least I'll be ok knowing that Tim Sweeny prepaid for my pirated copy.
f30.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.ioi.dk/hitman-3-all-locations-revealed/

HITMAN 3 – All Locations Revealed

HITMAN 3 arrives on 20 January 2021. The countdown is well and truly on for the dramatic conclusion to the World of Assassination trilogy.

Agent 47’s adventure will take him around the world to six unique locations across three continents, where he’ll take on the most important contracts of his entire career. Each location has been crafted to deliver a unique and memorable gameplay experience, from the game’s first mission at the tallest building in the world through to the dramatic epilogue that concludes the trilogy in style with a narrative-focused finale.

This is a spoiler-free list of all six locations in the game, where we’re focused on the locations and not the story.
Stay tuned for more posts before launch detailing how to carryover your progress from HITMAN 2 into HITMAN 3.

Dubai, UAE
Dubai_Location.jpg

The game starts in Dubai, with Agent 47 literally on top of the world.

Experience the grandeur and decadence of Dubai at the opening ceremony of the tallest building in the world. Join an excited crowd to witness the breath-taking scenery and explore the top floors of this exquisite building – both inside and out.

Dartmoor, United Kingdom
Dartmoor_Location.jpg

After the events in Dubai, 47 heads to England.

Travel to the historic Thornbridge Manor in Dartmoor for a mission with a murder mystery twist. Choose your own path to your objectives or take on the role of detective to solve a murder and eliminate your target. Two birds, one disguise.

Berlin, Germany
Berlin_Location.jpg

At the mid-way point of the game, 47 is en-route to Germany.

Head to the outskirts of Berlin, a city known for its fairytales, vibrant style and chaotic nightlife. Whether you’re looking for a place to reflect and recuperate or want to experience the dizzying adrenaline rush of an epic rave, Berlin will help you find both of those things and everything in between.

Chongqing, China
Chongqing_Location.jpg

As the story intensifies, 47 arrives in China.

Under the flickering neon lights of busy cafes and amidst a flurry of small shops and food stands crammed into tight streets, Chongqing offers travellers a respite from the demands of everyday life. This megacity is a transportation hub with plenty of secrets off the beaten path.

Mendoza, Argentina
Mendoza_Location.jpg

HITMAN 3’s penultimate mission takes Agent 47 to Argentina.

As one of the most well-known wine regions in South America, Mendoza is the perfect place to take in the beautiful sights and acquired tastes of Argentina. From the sloping hills to the modern vineyards, there’s plenty of opportunity to explore.

Carpathian Mountains, Romania
CM2_Location.jpg

HITMAN 3’s epilogue sees Agent 47 return to Romania.

The final mission in the World of Assassination trilogy takes you to the Carpathian Mountains.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
It all looks good, real good...

CM2_Location.jpg

The final mission in the World of Assassination trilogy takes you to the Carpathian Mountains.
Concerning. God I hope they don't cop out and end it all on some cinematic non-level devoid of gameplay or depth. The final levels of each prior season are some of the best they've made for these games.

Previews are out.

Playing a VR game with a controller when we're already into the second generation of VR controllers using more sophisticated motion controls should tell you how little thought has gone into the VR mode. They could've at least used the Disco Dildos PSVR comes with but they bizarrely lack an analogue stick so I can see why they would avoid them.

Ivan

Arcane
It all looks good, real good...

CM2_Location.jpg

Concerning. God I hope they don't cop out and end it all on some cinematic non-level devoid of gameplay or depth. The final levels of each prior season are some of the best they've made for these games.

speculated to be set in a moving train
aeddb525371e6c0cada375d7b5ee233dcb43a307.jpeg

e4efa5ac0be772cc56274b2cdfe71bde53250db9.jpeg

6a030f01fe2e06db66058c668c0d435b14d81555.jpeg

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Hitman 2 had 5 levels and a sort of mini-level at launch. The first 5 here seem to be full levels, so if the finale is a bit smaller (like a train) I'm okay with that.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Hitman 2 had 5 levels and a sort of mini-level at launch. The first 5 here seem to be full levels, so if the finale is a bit smaller (like a train) I'm okay with that.
The Cheevo list for 3 came out recently, and among other things it seems to imply the finale level is going to be comparable in size to 2's little opening level. I agree, what I was afraid of was that it would turn out to be less than that.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
It looks like they've got some additions planned for some of the Season 2 missions. 3's Cheevo list has the mastery levels for Whittleton Creek and the Bank set to 20 rather than the 15 they've got in season 2 currently.

jKpt4MK.png
0GhHRaS.png

NO3WdYu.png
flbnyAN.png

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The Bank is an amazing level that's perfect for the series, it's a shame many probably missed it because it was DLC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom