Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HITMAN, the new episodic Hitman - GOTY Edition

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
I wonder if these aren't desperate marketing moves by IOI, because they already doubled back on repeating ETs, minor DLC content like Patient Zero, no clear info on Season 2 is out, and they're releasing more and more episodes for free.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I don't think it's really desperate, it's just marketing like any other. No issue with building up some interest in the game for the future.

Jinn

Arcane
The Free Paris mission was really good for sales, so now we do it for Sapienza. Nothing desperate here. Just marketing.

And we are still working hard on making more stuff for you...

You guys are great. Glad you're doing well!

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
The game is retarded. It actively tries to thwart you every step of the way if you don't follow their stupid scripting.

I don't think I ever saw a game so heavily based on following the script(s) than this one.

Zep--

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
The worst fucking thing is, The scripts will kick in, and if you're not "close enough", you don't even hear their scripts.

The waiter in the window and the chick below spring to mind.

If you're working your way down the right side of the street, the script triggers, but you don't hear a damn thing.

Zep--

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
If you're working your way down the right side of the street, the script triggers, but you don't hear a damn thing.
The praised games in the series (2-4) also often had you follow scripts or had scripted events that you could fuck up. The game also had plenty of mechanics to circumvent those scripts if you mastered them, but it's questionable on how many of those the OG IOI has actually predicted to be a thing. Some of those things don't make a lot of sense, such as guards that will instantly react to doors being opened in their vicinity even if they had no way of seeing you go through them, or doors that would be unopenable / objects you could not interact with without killing the guard confined to them (not even knocking them unconscious would work).
Whereas in 2016, sure, you have telegraphed approaches and scripts, but you're still free to go your own way. Turn off opportunity tracking. Have explosives on hand and cheesy techniques like knocking people out by shooting them in the leg. You can stun people by throwing blunt items at a distance, which is honestly amazing and can't be stressed enough how much utility it provides.
Honestly 2016 has different problems than "scripting". Mostly I take issue with how IOI is stripping the game off of cool mechanics (wallbang rifle was way too situational and finicky to deserve the nerf), the persistent issue with head turning that feels random and adds mucho RNG to the issue, and, in all honesty, I still think that the studio isn't very transparent with what they're doing and that I'm worried for them being in more trouble than they let on.
In short, I'd recommend you to try and get good, or, at least, spend time and energy on doing stuff you love instead of complaining about the stuff you hate.
Most of the escalation / contract / ET runs I see of this game are actually heavily unscripted anyhow.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

The Free Paris mission was really good for sales, so now we do it for Sapienza. Nothing desperate here. Just marketing.

And we are still working hard on making more stuff for you...
MessyLonelyFish-max-1mb.gif

I see....

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Pairing the patient zero campaign with a set of outfits that "cost" more than the campaign was a major dick move. Just price the campaign at the sum of both, if it's impossible to buy it separately from the outfits!

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This whole game has one of the most awkward systems ever, from buying it to how it works ingame.

sullynathan

Arcane
Good thing, I'm just gonna get the game for free

Finally caved and picked it up when the package went on sale for around $30. Definitely seems worth it for that if you're a fan of the series.
I own the entire series (got it free) and haven't beaten them, so I'm not in a rush to buy this especially when I now have 2 of 5 episodes for free.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
What's more definitive than GOTY Edition? Why, Definitive Edition with more silly outfits obviously: https://www.ioi.dk/20-years-of-ioi/

20 Years of IOI

This year marks a milestone anniversary for us and it’s one that we want to celebrate: IOI is 20 years old!

We’ve been making games for two decades and have released 11 games from four different franchises. It feels incredible to say that and look back at everything that we’ve achieved along the way.

In 2000, we introduced Agent 47 to the world with Codename 47 and established his legacy as a Silent Assassin two years later. Then, we released Freedom Fighters in 2003 and gave our take on an alternative history in New York before returning to 47 with the atmospheric Hitman Contracts and then Blood Money in 2006.

In the following three years, we introduced another two franchises. First, Kane & Lynch. The world’s most notorious criminals blasted their way through two titles – with the release of Mini Ninjas firmly placed between them. After a 6-year break, Agent 47 returned in Hitman: Sniper Challenge and Absolution, on new technology and with a very personal story. Now, we’re still supporting HITMAN (2016, All Caps) with monthly content and love more than two years after its initial launch.

That’s the entire release history of our games in two paragraphs. We want to give each game a lot more love throughout the rest of the year – and we’ll be doing that with artwork, livestreams, interviews and much more. Look for announcements on Twitter and Facebook.

Today, we’re hard at work. We’ve got plenty cooking and the pots are still boiling. Please don’t read too much into the analogy. We just thought of it and we’re sticking with it. We think you know what we’re saying.

Anniversary_icon-1024x867.png

We want to use this blog post to share some other great news with you!

HITMAN now has more than 12 million players!
That’s in bold because we’re so proud to say it! We’re humbled and excited to see so many players enjoying the game!

Here’s another incredible milestone: Last week, we set a new all-time record for the most active users in a single day. We had to spin up our server capacity to meet demand.

Back in 2015 when we announced HITMAN, we talked about building an expanding and evolving world of assassination. These numbers prove to us that we’re pulling that off and we’re inspired to continue creating content that our players will want to play and experience. Obviously, that number was helped by our Spring Pack, which was available for a limited time. This download allowed anyone to play Sapienza, the beautiful Italian coastaltown and one of the most highly-praised locations from HITMAN.

It’s great to see so many people playing our game, liking it and wanting more of it, which is great support for us. As an independent studio, that is very important. Whenever youstarted playing the game, we appreciate all the support. Thank you.

Looking *slightly* to the future
As part of our anniversary celebrations, we’re excited to announce that HITMAN: Definitive Edition will be released on May 15th for Xbox One and PS4!

Coming exclusively to store shelves, HITMAN: Definitive Edition includes all episodes and locations from Season One plus all of the Game of the Year Edition content, including the Patient Zero campaign! We’ve partnered with Warner Bros. to release the Definitive Edition. They’ll be publishing and distributing this version of the game to store shelves all over the world.

We’re tying our studio anniversary and the upcoming Definitive Edition release with a new outfit bundle that celebrates our history. Introducing… The Anniversary Outfit Bundle!

AnniversaryOutfits.png

These new outfits are inspired by the games that we’ve made here at IOI; Freedom Fighters, Kane & Lynch and Mini Ninjas!

The Freedom Phantom Suit is inspired by Christopher Stone from Freedom Fighters.
Get ready to take command and fight for freedom in a suit that is equal parts charismatic and rebellious.

The Lynch Suit is inspired by everybody’s favourite criminal; Lynch.
It’s the perfect suit for an impulsive, reckless and self-medicated psychopath.

The Futo Suit is inspired by Futo from Mini Ninjas.
As you know, Ninjas always operate alone but they don’t always fight using a hammer. Futo does.

The Anniversary Outfit bundle will be made available for purchase on digital platforms later this year.

HITMAN_Definitive_Edition.png

Here’s the full list of what’s included in HITMAN: Definitive Edition
  • Anniversary Outfit Bundle – Three new outfits inspired by IOI games; Freedom Fighters, Kane & Lynch and Mini Ninjas
  • HITMAN Season One – Seven exotic locations from the first season, including Paris, Sapienza, Marrakesh, Bangkok, Colorado and Hokkaido, along with the ICA Facility
  • HITMAN Game of the Year Edition Content – Four missions from the Patient Zero Campaign, three themed Escalation Contracts that unlock three unique weapons, as well as the Clown Suit, Cowboy Suit and Raven Suit
  • HITMAN Bonus Episode – Featuring 3 Bonus Missions in Sapienza and Marrakesh
  • HITMAN: Blood Money Requiem Pack – Including the Requiem Suit, Pale Duck Explosive and ICA Chrome Pistol
  • All Featured Contracts, Escalation Contracts, Challenge Packs and game updates from HITMAN Season One and HITMAN Game of the Year Edition
BOOM! There you have it; the announcement of HITMAN: Definitive Edition, the start of our 20th anniversary celebrations and more people than ever are playing HITMAN! We told you 2018 would be good. More to come.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Name of the location for Season 2's first mission! WHEN?!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom