Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hivemind opinion of Star Ruler?

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I picked this up during the Fall Sale on Steam for like 2 bucks:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/70900/

I've only had time to play the tutorial, but I was curious what the rest of you thought of it.

I would have searched the forum, but I can't seem to find the search button anymore... :patriot:

DakaSha

Arcane
I asked this (on this forum page :smug: ) and nobody gave a shit

:(

edit: oh and I also got it then and couldnt get into.. just looks extremely unpolished

Raapys

Arcane
I tried it right after the release. At that point it was practically in alpha-state; not necessarily buggy, but almost non-existent AI and gameplay. Only thing it had going for it was the ship design, which was kinda cool( though the design screen was crappy). A game consisted of spamming out colony ships non-stop with one or more planets and using another to spam out warships. Was kinda effortless once you figured it out.

Anyway, I do know it was patched heavily. Think the last version I tried was 1.0.7 or so, where they'd significantly added to the gameplay, including diplomacy. Still, the game's selling point was really just in the way it let you design ships with the only limit being your available resources. It never really had potential in other areas, and I doubt they suddenly managed to turn it all around despite the heavy patching.

If you're looking for 4x I'd recommend Distant Worlds, which is the only recent game of that type that can stand up to the ones in the days of old. Though you might wanna wait for the next expansion for it, which should make it even better.

DakaSha

Arcane
No. Don't play distant worlds. And if you do then pirate it. Fuck that idiot company and its horrible self playing mess of a game edit: not that star ruler seemed any better

Marobug

Star Ruler is a bit shite tbh. The last build I tried was 1.2.0 and last I heard they haven't released any other update. If real time 4x is your thing I'd rather play sins which I honestly didn't like all that much. If it's a good 4x you're looking for I'd go for star lords (still alpha but you can pre-order and get the latest build) or endless space (bog standard 4x game and gets boring quickly but sadly there aren't many other worthwhile alternatives).

Raapys

Arcane
Not really. It's extremely detailed and has lots of options and features, good gameplay mechanics and it even manages the execution fairly well. But that's where the good stuff ends. The actual content, the tech tree, races and whatnot is all generic and boring. The AI is also lacking, and the presentation/visuals/sound leave a lot to be desired, being severely beaten by the likes of MoO2. It also ends up having very long turn processing, even with modern CPUs.

Anyway, it's first and foremost a multiplayer game(play-by-email) where everyone's playing mods, as the game has great mod support. The mods unfortunately don't work very well with single-player, as the game's AI wasn't moddable to the same extent. Making AI is also a lot of work, especially when the entire community was playing MP anyway. There is one mod which actually just tries to improve the AI of the game, and it does so very well, but then you're back to generic and boring original content and the other problems.

Still, it's a worthy title. Tons better than the wannabe-4x crap like SoaSE, SotS, Endless Space, GalCiv, etc.

tindrli

Arcane
just try it.. download patches, and some mods which are easy to install. you wont be disappointed

Ashery

Prophet
I asked this (on this forum page :smug: ) and nobody gave a shit

:(

edit: oh and I also got it then and couldnt get into.. just looks extremely unpolished

I posted the same thing back in the Steam sale thread, and the only acknowledgement of my post's existence was a brofist.

Not that it mattered, though, as Eador is fucking amazing.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Not really worth it, imo. Plenty of other decent 4x games out there although granted I don't really have the desire to play multiple 4x games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom