Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hobo: Tough Life - urban survival RPG

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://hoborpg.com

Some people call fantasy RPGs "murder hobo simulators." I don't know if this Czech developers ever heard about it but they are literally making a hobo simulator RPG.

ss_9752ef4091ca3edbf7a99aaea883f68a47917348.600x338.jpg

ss_a40f2297ddfd5d1698f47875089ac669a9d53ec2.600x338.jpg

Hobo: Tough Life is a city survival RPG. You play as a homeless and your main goal is to survive. To do this you will have to deal with hunger, hostile environment, human unconcern and with forthcoming winter. Play with friends or with other players online and do whatever it takes to survive.

Fight for your life on the merciless street. Search bins for food and booze. Beg, resort to pickpocketing, do literally anything to make it through another day. Get something to burn to keep yourself warm, for the weather is about to get worse. Freezing winter nights may be your biggest enemy, but not the only one, so be aware of unpleasant surprises lurking in the dark corners of the city.

Explore the hidden nooks of the city and look for useful items to help you survive and discover various attractive locations.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beastro

Arcane
Better have a lot of serial killer mechanics or else it's not gonna have what 90% of people will want to do.

Reading the blurb though.... sounds more like they're using RPG as a catch all term and it's just another survival game.

Beastro

Arcane
It's certainly a novel concept.
Can you give blowjobs behind a dumpster for a tenner though?

It would be a good setting for a satirical game of sorts where it channels old RPG "saving the world" shit, but it's all to do with the typical stuff the homeless deal with.

Like that old sense of derring do and adventurous fun Final Fantasy games had before the Playstation, but everything is about some bum(s) doing mundane bum stuff. Imagine them getting sucked into a battle with some dogs and having to fight while some typical JRPG music plays as they use special attacks and spells like throwing cans or using their body odour to debuff their opponents.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I saw this in my Steam queue and thought it was a joke game, so I just ignored it. My opinion hasn't changed.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
it's a tough life man. it's so realistic i heard the game is as buggy as the ruined bed i found in a dumpster earlier this week. do not recommend, you poke it and thousands bugs came jumping out. sleeping in a subway is just better.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
it's a tough life man. it's so realistic i heard the game is as buggy as the ruined bed i found in a dumpster earlier this week. do not recommend, you poke it and thousands bugs came jumping out. sleeping in a subway is just better.
Why are you whining mate?You got a bed and a diner in one.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
FUCKERS STOLE MY IDEA

It would be a good setting for a satirical game of sorts where it channels old RPG "saving the world" shit, but it's all to do with the typical stuff the homeless deal with.

Like that old sense of derring do and adventurous fun Final Fantasy games had before the Playstation, but everything is about some bum(s) doing mundane bum stuff. Imagine them getting sucked into a battle with some dogs and having to fight while some typical JRPG music plays as they use special attacks and spells like throwing cans or using their body odour to debuff their opponents.

although my idea was more along these lines

Visbhume

Prophet
Can you do train hopping in the base game, or is that reserved for the DLC?

Do you need to put your potions in a paper bag when drinking in public?

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
It's certainly a novel concept.
Can you give blowjobs behind a dumpster for a tenner though?

I'll be LARPing this

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So, I am playing this game right now (early access) and its absolutely and pure fun. The dialogues and descriptions are hilarious.

Its like Long Dark with some elements of rpg C&C. So far, lots and lots of fun.

thesecret1

Arcane
This game's surprisingly good, actually. You get real hobo-tier options for survival (dumpster diving, begging, stealing, pickpocketing, burglary (if you have the perk)) with a pretty decent crafting model (nothing is useless, everything can be turned into something useful down the line, that kind of crafting model) and pretty good progression model. Skills are levelled up by using, not by assigning points, and each increase is pretty significant, none of that "+5%" bullshit. You can also learn perks, for which you need to achieve a high enough level in their respective skill, and find a fellow hobo to teach it to you. Each hobo has a relationship gauge, so you need to raise that if you want to learn shit from him.

The game has a very nice difficulty curve in that survival never becomes trivial – it gets colder every day as winter approaches, so you need to sort of stay ahead of the curve, while also taking care of your other needs (food, staying clean, etc.). You are also supposed to build your own shelter for the winter because you don't want to be sleeping on a park bench in the middle of winter. It's not entirely easy (hell, there's plenty of butthurt reviews on steam about muh diffculty too hard) as decent clothes tend to be expensive and building your shelter requries a lot of materials and skills that take quite a while to pick up, so you often end up falling a bit behind of the curve. At that point, you get to experience the real hobo life – drinking cheap wine to warm yourself enough for an hour or so to sleep on a bench, mixing alcoholic garbage juice for much the same reason, getting arrested on purpose because it's warm in jail, etc. The game is nice in that it allows you to recover if you fuck up, but it tends to set you back quite a bit. In-game economy is pretty good – accumulating money is not fast, but not too slow either, prices of goods tend to more or less match how they'd cost in real life, and your main money source will be either begging and doing temp jobs, or doing quests for the various people you meet around the city.

I really like it, all in all. It doesn't suffer from the usual problem survival games have, where once you get the basics going "surviving" is no longer an issue, the hobo life is presented in a realistic-ish light in that there is no idealistic sobbing about cruel society and similar shit (most of the hobos you meet are pieces of shit. You can also pick up quests for stealing shit from local gypsies, which is something I've found to be hilarious), and the progression model seems pretty solid. Solid game, all in all, definitely worth a try.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom