Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hobo: Tough Life - urban survival RPG

Paul_cz

Arcane
I am actually quite interested, if only for the freshness of its theme.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I am actually quite interested, if only for the freshness of its theme.

I just watched some random LP. I thought it was just a meme game but it seems it's actually a pretty complex open-world survival RPG with tons of stats, perks, skills, NPCs, quests and various mechanics like crafting, stealing, morale and your classic gamut of survival stuff (hunger, energy, warmth, dryness etc.). Some NPC dialogue can be p. branching. Production values are bad ofc, it's an indie game, but mechanically it's surprisingly strong.

AEEADF6A70335B3D5A42DC7B65A0A43575A05C44

2A01227A48FEDF3FF7D436F3C7AA2AFFC7D61EDF

DE2A4028D11BDEDD648BD6B693928B07213EE7E9

Last edited:

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Someone should suggest this title to sseth, this game seems right up his alley, it'd warrant a hilarious review from our favorite african Jews warlord and at the same time attract new fans to the game.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
So, can I indulge in some violence or is this strictly a PG-13 hobo simulator?

Mud'

Scholar
I remember years ago i was showering and thinking "How can you make a RPG game in modern times?" and i started pitching a hobo simulator game.

Now i see this and is the exact same game i thought in the shower years ago, i will buy it next pay check because from what i seen, its a really complex game.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
First impressions.

It's urban open-world survival RPG. Full of stats and skills like stealing, begging, lockpicking, dumpster diving and tons more. Plus your classic survival stuff (hunger, wetness etc.).

There's a very simple turn-based combat but it's not the core of the game. There's a complex crafting system, you can build your own hobo dump.

There are 4 different hobo archetypes you can choose at the start but you have to unlock 3 of them by playing. They have different strengths and weaknesses, the default one has neither.

Two ways of beating the game - survive 3 seasons (every season about 30 hours), with increasing difficulty, or become the King of Hobos. For that you need to secure votes of 6 different factions (drug dealers, alcoholics, idealists etc.) by running their errants and quests. If you don't wanna become the King you can join one of the factions which makes surviving easier. In essence you can play and win the game as a survival sandbox or traditional open-world RPG.

Game is p. hard at the start when you don't know what you're doing. It's actually blowing my mind rn. I'm p. sure it'll get repetitive in those 50-90 hours required to beat it but for the first few hours it's a fucking blast. Plus you can play co-op with up to 4 people, help with crafting, fighting, each joining different factions to speed up the quests etc. P. rad so far, if you don't mind the visuals.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
During the alpha I had 60h into the game. After 35h you start to make lots of money, enough to have whatever you want to buy, but this was before the release. For sure there is lots of new content now.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
First impressions.
How are the quests? Are they RPGish in having more ways to complete them etc?
I've played it for maybe 2 hours but the first quest I got had two different solutions - get a thing from a dude by beating him up (meaning gotta learn fighting first, meaning gotta earn enough money to pay for lessons) or do a quest for him (possibly branching out to subquests).

No idea what the overall quality of quests is, will play more over the weekend.

thesecret1

Arcane
How are the quests? Are they RPGish in having more ways to complete them etc?
Definitely RPGish, probably more than in many modern RPGs. Usually, a quest goes "Get me that thing from Stinky Hobo." Stinky Hobo then goes "No way, I ain't giving you shit." and then you can either try convincing because you are such good friends (requires high relationship with Stinky Hobo), or you can beat it outta him, or you can offer him a different item in exchange. Other times, you can negotiate yourself a better reward or lower fees, unlock new quests with better relations, etc.

The game is, primarily, a survival one (and pretty good one at that), but it does have a very solid RPG side to it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
FNV gameplay to it.

ROFL that's exactly what I was thinking when I tried it - "the look and feel of this world, all the skillchecks and factions, it's like a fucking Slav Hobo FNV". Didn't mention it coz I thought it'd sound too retarded, glad it's not just my impression :D

680x0

Learned
It's like a less pretentious Pathologic with a more enjoyable gameplay loop. For some reason it reminds me of Drug Wars on the TI graphing calculators. I think it would be an easy 120+ hour game for most people.

Features:
  • Casual racism against Gypsies
  • Alcoholism
  • Minesweeper
  • Crystal meth
  • Dog friends
  • Cat ghoulash
  • Realistic stench mechanics

Generic-Giant-Spider

Okay geeks answer me this:

Can I fuck hookers?

If so which type of hookers?

Can I kill the hookers?

Can I get killed by Christian Bale?

Can I get into a fight with other hobos over a sandwich?

Can I get hired for a video to engage in other fights with hobos over a sandwich?

Can I live in the back of a doorless car?

Can I get so drunk I end up causing a scene at the park and exposing myself?

Can I go crazy and wear a doomsday sandwich sign?

Can I shit myself?

Can I throw up over myself?

Can I warm my hands over a fire in an oil drum?

Can I ward off seagulls at the dumpster?

Can I sleep in the dumpster during winter and accidentally get killed by a garbage truck?

And finally, most importantly...

Does it have romances?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Okay geeks answer me this:

Can I fuck hookers?

If so which type of hookers?

Can I kill the hookers?

Can I get killed by Christian Bale?

Can I get into a fight with other hobos over a sandwich?

Can I get hired for a video to engage in other fights with hobos over a sandwich?

Can I live in the back of a doorless car?

Can I get so drunk I end up causing a scene at the park and exposing myself?

Can I go crazy and wear a doomsday sandwich sign?

Can I shit myself?

Can I throw up over myself?

Can I warm my hands over a fire in an oil drum?

Can I ward off seagulls at the dumpster?

Can I sleep in the dumpster during winter and accidentally get killed by a garbage truck?

The answer to all those questions is YES.

Do you have any questions about the game tho?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom