Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hogwarts Legacy - Harry Potter open world action RPG prequel set in the late 1800s

Harthwain

Magister
Gaming industry is now too incompetent to milk a succesfull product or pander to casuals. This was their bread and butter a couple of years ago.
It shouldn't be surprising that corporate suits have no idea what they're doing when making decisions. They are probably banking on the popularity of the franchise (which is what carried Hogwarts Legacy, to be honest. Although the key component was that it's competently done, for mainstream tastes at least).

There are a bunch gen Alfas in my wider family and friends and I can confirm their interest in, or even awareness of, HP is mostly zero. Most girls aren't interested in vidya at all (and the rest is exclusively into Roblox and related social gaming garbage) and most boys are into shit like FIFA, CS or assorted Nintendo.

HP is for normie genXers and millennials and I bet most of them didn't touch the game since they bought it.
I have no idea about the age groups, but since May 2024 the game is steadily played by 9k - 20k players (give or take). That's pretty good. At least according to Steam Charts.

TheKing01

Literate

Hogwarts Legacy 2 Is Probably Going to Be Live Service – WB Says AAA Console Market Isn’t Enough​

https://wccftech.com/hogwarts-legac...rvice-wb-says-aaa-console-market-isnt-enough/

Does this mean that they will somehow make it even more of a bland, empty and repetitive timewaster than the first game already was?

For a first serious effort from a company, it was a pretty fucking solid first outing.

My anticipation is for what they could improve upon with a sequel. Avalanche definitely comes across as a company that has the potential to be a powerhouse in the AAA market with enough experience under their belt. Now they'll be stuck doing live-service nonsense because WB is incomprehensibly poorly run.

Well I think it’s laudable that after Shadow of War, Gotham Knights, Suicide Squad, and whatever other WB garbage I’m forgetting the exec response is “if at first you don’t succeed try, try again”. They’re certainly plucky! You’ve got to give it to them!

Kiste

Augur

Hogwarts Legacy 2 Is Probably Going to Be Live Service – WB Says AAA Console Market Isn’t Enough​

https://wccftech.com/hogwarts-legac...rvice-wb-says-aaa-console-market-isnt-enough/

Does this mean that they will somehow make it even more of a bland, empty and repetitive timewaster than the first game already was?

For a first serious effort from a company, it was a pretty fucking solid first outing.

That may very well be the case but that doesn't change the fact that it's a bland, empty and repetitive timewaster, with the emphasis on repetitive. It's checklist gameplay at it's worst. Do the same stuff X times for Y. In that regard, it's significantly worse than most modern Open Worlders like Horizon, Spiderman or even the newer Far Crys.

Add in the other weaknesses, like the obnoxious loot spam in combination with a restrictive inventory, a mediocre story that allows for barely any relevant choices (including house choice being just cosmetic), the utterly braindead puzzles (even for a puzzle retard like myself) and a rather small selection of enemy types and you have a game that plays like something by Ubisoft from 15 years ago. Worse, actually.

It is a very pretty game graphics-wise and they did a great job at recreating the setting. I just wish there was more to discover than just another counter on your checklists. At least you can genocide the tranny via mod, so that's a plus, I guess.

It's a 9/10 for looks with a 3/10 personality. It's fuck and chuck material.

Last edited:

BruceVC

Magister
I have just started Hogwarts and Im 14 hours in and so far so good

I havent read the Harry Potter books but I watched the movies and I enjoy the lore

Its visually beautiful and I enjoy randomly exploring Hogwarts, lots to see and some interesting side quests to keep you motivated

One "criticism" which is by design because of the Harry Potter universe is its clearly a game world created for people who appreciate light hearted fantasy, its not very dark. Everyone is so polite and friendly and it doesnt have much real malice or enemies that you really want to destroy like a Baatezu prince or some diabolical Daedra

Anyway thats just how the HP universe is, its not hardcore

Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!

I havent read the Harry Potter books but I watched the movies and I enjoy the lore

Its visually beautiful and I enjoy randomly exploring Hogwarts, lots to see and some interesting side quests to keep you motivated

One "criticism" which is by design because of the Harry Potter universe is its clearly a game world created for people who appreciate light hearted fantasy, its not very dark. Everyone is so polite and friendly and it doesnt have much real malice or enemies that you really want to destroy like a Baatezu prince or some diabolical Daedra

And then you realize it's literally race war now. Non-humans are second-class citizens in Rowling's magical world. :obviously:

well it's a book for ten year olds written in the late 90s, so it's bound to be like that.

BruceVC

Magister

well it's a book for ten year olds written in the late 90s, so it's bound to be like that.
Sure but I am reluctant to frame it like that because I know adults who read the books and loved them and its possibly demeaning to suggest " you love a childs book "????

We have a bigger problem in all societies with people generally not reading enough so you dont want to shame people for reading anything

Also there are lots of interesting studies and discussions why adults should and do read HP

Here is one example

https://www.shilpagoel.com/2017/05/10-reasons-why-adults-should-read-harry.html

Sure but I am reluctant to frame it like that because I know adults who read the books and loved them and its possibly demeaning to suggest " you love a childs book "????

We have a bigger problem in all societies with people generally not reading enough so you dont want to shame people for reading anything

Also there are lots of interesting studies and discussions why adults should and do read HP

Here is one example

Harry Potter adults are like Disney adults, though

Also society does read. It's just that men don't read for shit these days, all of the reading is done by women.

BruceVC

Magister

Here is one example

Also society does read. It's just that men don't read for shit these days, all of the reading is done by women.
You might be right about that, the adults I know who read HP were women

Here is one example

You might be right about, the adults I know who read HP were women
It's something book publishers have reported, actually. Male demographic is slowly but surely shrinking but the female one is still going strong and growing.

BruceVC

Magister
You're reading right now. Social media is primarily built on reading. It's caused people to stop engaging with books.
Yes, the Internet and Internet consumption would definitely have contributed towards less traditional book reading

But then eBook's are really popular so the Internet and its mechanisms also provide a convenient medium for reading even though its digital book reading

BruceVC

Magister

It's something book publishers have reported, actually. Male demographic is slowly but surely shrinking but the female one is still going strong and growing.
What are the reasons they say we seeing a decline in male readership numbers?

cuz male kids these days think reading is gay and retarded

Elttharion

Learned

The entire publishing industry and the book reading community are built around catering to woman.

The entire publishing industry and the book reading community are built around catering to woman.
Because they are buying the books, you dummy. If men read more they'd get books for them. But no, complaining on twitter about hurt feeefees is easier.

Mauman

Learned

Fighting against so-called "sexualization" (only women of course, sexualizing men is stil ok) and general demasculisation in media.

Even today's (male) kids don't really want to read about soy-boys, feminism/political agendas, and STRONK WHAMEN (at least if my nephew and his friends are any indication). Let alone old fucktards such as myself.

Elttharion

Learned

Because they are buying the books, you dummy. If men read more they'd get books for them. But no, complaining on twitter about hurt feeefees is easier.
Edit: Reposted because the quotes were wrong.

I get your point but, yeah buying the product worked so well for video games, sports, comic books, super hero movies, shonen and seinen anime and manga, fantasy and sci-fi, tabletop and board games, D&D, etc. These are all male dominated hobbies that have seen a huge push towards catering to females despite the general disinterest from that audience.

Disney bought Star Wars and Marvel because they wanted products that appealed to a male audience, males are still the vast majority of the core audience for these franchises but Disney pivoted towards catering to women anyway.

When Total War Warhammer 3 was released CA said they went out of their way to include more female lords and units because they wanted their audience to be better represented and to attract more female players. The last study I saw said that the audience for grand Strategy games was +95% males, there are probably more trannies playing Total War than actual woman.

Less than 4% of people used female teams on Fifa and yet EA spent millions to include woman's teams in the game and made them as good as the male players.

Etc.

And I dont even say this like I am some kind of incel who hates woman and doesnt want them near these hobbies, my youngest sister was raised as one of the boys and she played and still mostly plays the same games we did growing up (Might and magic, rts, shooters, rpgs, etc). I tried to do the same to every woman I ever had a relationship too, it mostly didnt work tho, unfortunately.

Elttharion

Learned
. I tried to do the same to every woman I ever had a relationship too
:philosoraptor: By treating them like a sister?
Maybe thats why the little sister route is always my favorite.

932eb53779d0a0fa22487f3d5612dd5ebe258dcb72ccd39bb3c0ad7742b899fc_1.webp

BruceVC

Magister
Im 60 hours into Hogwarts so I can share an informed and more detailed review

I am enjoying it and its overall been a good experience

Firstly as I mentioned previously I am not a committed fan of the HP universe but if I was I would be truly enthralled because the game incorporates so many elements of the books. The developers did an excellent job at recreating the HP world and all its components

I like the activities like Merlin Trials, the astronomy puzzles, the animal code doors and then exploring Hogwarts to find the moons. And broom races are lots of fun, I loaded a mod which lets you use the mouse to control the broom and that made things much easier

Crafting is well done, they have created a good balance with how its better to create potions than buy them so I find myself looking for ingredients

Combat is fun and spells make a difference, the game lets you adopt different spell strategies and I decided I can use Dark Magic because I can control it and its effective

The companion side quests are interesting and I support Sebastian and his passion to save his sister...not sure how thats going to end but I can guess

And then I found myself enjoying saving and breeding beasts, its not something I would typically participate in but you can get ingredients which help with item upgrades and the critters are cute

The main negative is enemies are repeated ...a lot. I am not sure I can kill any more poachers or Ashwinders but I will persevere :lol:

So Im at the point now where I will be focusing on the main quest and I should be finishing the game soon

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom