Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hogwarts Legacy - Harry Potter open world action RPG prequel set in the late 1800s

Kem0sabe

Arcane
My wife talked with me about getting the game, if it had Portuguese voice overs (she's not very good at English). Thinking about getting it for her on the Xbox, but her experience gaming amounts to the NES when she was a kid, and puzzle games on her phone.

Think she can manage the learning curve of a 3d action adventure game on a modern controller? Considering your experience with your own wife

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
My wife talked with me about getting the game, if it had Portuguese voice overs (she's not very good at English). Thinking about getting it for her on the Xbox, but her experience gaming amounts to the NES when she was a kid, and puzzle games on her phone.

Think she can manage the learning curve of a 3d action adventure game on a modern controller? Considering your experience with your own wife
My wife has managed so far and she has not played a game since she was like 12 and then mostly with M&KB, but she has some trouble controlling the camera.

Not sure if there is some setting to make it just follow the character so as to make it easier on people unfamiliar with controllers.

It's an artificial controversy created by people who are still upset that their previous attempts to cancel Rowling didn't work. They're too proud to admit defeat but too dumb to try something else. Rowling is getting more spicy from all the harassment ("my bank account doesn't care about the drama" or something along these lines) but she's smart enough to not go on a "fuck trannies" rant that could reinvigorate the campaigns. Or maybe she really is a progressive that is just still stuck on 2015 mainstream opinions. Either way the anti-Rowling team has no choice but to continue their doomed campaign because deserters are punished.

0f36yjfogf351.jpg

I think Sirona's PT-BR voice is a woman who does the voices for boy characters. Don't remember where I heard her, but it's familiar. (edit: nope, it's a guy who can do boy voices. He's Boruto and Teemo from league of legends, lol)

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Trannies. Niggers. Remote working. The plight of game designers. The blight of games journalists. Some filthy moskal butthurt at Ukraine's existence.

Seems like you're discussing everything except the game, tbh.
The game is shit, what did you expect? Roam an open world, go on pointless errands with badly written and voiceacted justification, make numbers go up, gather collectible items because why not, meet zero challenge in combat.
So apparently "Avada Kedavra" is a "death threath" :lol:

I can't even tell the retards attacking the game from the retards defending it any more :lol:

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I got this for my wife who hasn't played a game since she was 12 and she loves it. She likes harry potter and since she doesn't play games the complexity of the game mechanics seem about right. She really likes the visuals and general vibes and loved the exploration and dress up. She is probably the intended audience and for her this game provides exactly what it needs.
I bet 80% of the audience for this game don't even know of the controversy or anything related to it, those are people who buy a game once or twice a year, have a normal job and no time to follow hysteria about Rowling or stuff

That's 99% of the world population and 80% of the gaming audience.

It really baffles me how game devs and game journalists worry so much about minorities who don't even buy videogames.

I got this for my wife who hasn't played a game since she was 12 and she loves it. She likes harry potter and since she doesn't play games the complexity of the game mechanics seem about right. She really likes the visuals and general vibes and loved the exploration and dress up. She is probably the intended audience and for her this game provides exactly what it needs.

Watching her play a bit on the tv i must say that they really got the visuals right besides some minor colour/lighting issues.

Well worth the 60 bucks for someone who likes HP but maybe a bit simplistic for a more seasoned gamer (although the visuals are 10 times better than your average UBI-shit openworld).
Yeah codexers are surprised that the most casual merchandise in the world ends up with the most casual game ever.

All of the women who don't even play are suddenly getting consoles or desktops around me to run this. All of them the types who have a PS3, that they had three games for because of a boyfriend or entertainment for when friends are over. Suddenly these women in my social circle are talking about upgrading to a new console/laptop/desktop just for this. Most of them are aware of the controversy and just think it's stupid, or agree with Rowling. Note, these are not terminally online people, but ones whoms internet usage consists of Pinterest, Instagram, YouTube and Etsy. None of them are huge HP fans.

It is almost perfect at what it aims to do, entertaining a person who gets it for casual visuals and fun. They would not want or appreciate a game with a steep learning curve or deep mechanics.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I can't believe the 'neutrals' still exist
:lol:

If you think there isn't a crapload of people out there who don't care about transgender shit, just look at how many people play this game, regardless of whatever opinion "non-neutrals" (be it extreme right or extreme left) have about it. By the way, it's funny how "neutrals" suddenly became a problem (for you at least). Trying to inject the typical "we" and "they" mentality, without any moderate stance in-between the two, is both pathetic and laughable, although not surprising.

how we should all just let the woke stuff continue because obviously it's just a decade+ long 'fad'
First of all - how can you "stop woke stuff from continuing"? Because I don't see "you all" doing shit about it. At least not where it can be seen. I just ignore all LGBT-friendly shit, because that's not what I am looking for in games. I am not giving them my money or my attention, which is the best way for a business to go bust.

Secondly - I find it being a fad (or a safe PR stance) to be more believable than a theory about it being part of some long-term calculated and synchronized masterplan. I recommend to you this quote from Dune:

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.
- from Sayings of the Muad'Dib by the Princess Irulane.
And another one:
[...] the most persistent principles of the universe were accident and error.
Which is supported by Darwin's Law (and not just that), by the way.

You people need a new tactic.
I don't, but maybe you do, "people". I don't know where do you live, nor do I care, but my part of the world doesn't give this nonsense too much attention and it was working out just fine.

Neutrals, people who dont care about anything as long as they get their fix of entertainment are the problem. They watch athletes, actors and others bend the knee, openly mocking values of your country, supporting degeneracy and all the while neutrals will still tune in to play their games and watch their movies.

Then one day games get full with shit like pronouns and trannies, the overall quality takes a nose dive due diversity hires, everything becomes predictable as everything is made with a massive memo of what can and cant be portrayed as certain people dont get offended. Games become unplayable, movies unwatchable and neutrals will wonder when exactly did all go wrong.

Industry is broken probably beyond repair because neutrals didnt want to listen. When warned they shrugged it off and said "I just care about playing games, I dont care about all that drama".

At this point there are no longer any neutrals, the degeneracy is shoved in the faces of everyone and nobody has any excuses for not seeing things as they are. Those who see the evil of this world and pretend they are still neutrals, they are just that pretending, they choose to side with evil.

Avarize

Magister
I am surprised how much pull Harry Potter still has. From all that people have said its a rather mediocre game, but apparently, the Potter setting is enough to make people go crazy over it
I work as a santa half the year. I meet thousands of kids every year and huge amount of them are still asking for Harry Potter presents. Ages 3-9 ask for Potter legos and 7-13 ask for books or other related merchandise. Some tweens and teens even asked me for Hogwarts Legacy preorders. I don't think Potter is going away anytime soon.

BruceVC

Magister

Good to know, I would like to hear your feedback once you played it

This being actively pushed into all entertainment as part of the plan. But yeah, "muh gamergate" is to blame of course.
You misunderstand Fargus. What I'm getting at is it represents the transition point for games moving from passively reflecting wider political culture to actively driving said culture i.e. I agree with you.

You could apply what Frank Zappa said about the music industry in the 80s to the games industry now vs pre GG. The execs and lead devs are now activists who think they know everything about the medium and what's good for it rather than the equivalent of the "cigar chomping guys" of old who were willing to take a punt on something different to see if it sold.

BruceVC

Magister
I bet 80% of the audience for this game don't even know of the controversy or anything related to it, those are people who buy a game once or twice a year, have a normal job and no time to follow hysteria about Rowling or stuff
I agree, I dont care if Rowling supports LGBT or is anti-LGBT. Those things make no difference to me when I buy or play any game

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom