Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak - prequel from ex-Relic devs

Destroid

Arcane
Are we already forgetting one of the first things the devs hired after funding was a "monetisation designer"?

It'll be shit.
:rpgcodex:

It was originally going to be F2P, I believe after they partnered with Gearbox it was changed to a regular paid game.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Are we already forgetting one of the first things the devs hired after funding was a "monetisation designer"?

It'll be shit.
:rpgcodex:

It was originally going to be F2P, I believe after they partnered with Gearbox it was changed to a regular paid game.

Right. They just recently slapped the Homeworld label on it and probably reworked a bit of the story. This is what makes me suspicious.

All I see is a cash-in on a license Gearbox or whoever paid a lot of money for.

Beowulf

Arcane
What do we say to preorders? - Not today.

I'm waiting way after the release to see players impressions. I long for a good game in the Ground Control style (which I think should be labelled RTT, rather than RTS), but I didn't buy into Homeworld Remastered hype and saw how it turned out.
I'm also slightly worried about this whole massive online scale that they implied in their earlier videos. I keep my hopes high, but expectations even higher. Too many "revivals" of old series and trademarks are happening lately and I don't know if I can name one that is as good as the titles it aims to be a continuation of (except for the graphics and maybe audio).

ArchAngel

Arcane
What do we say to preorders? - Not today.

I'm waiting way after the release to see players impressions. I long for a good game in the Ground Control style (which I think should be labelled RTT, rather than RTS), but I didn't buy into Homeworld Remastered hype and saw how it turned out.
I'm also slightly worried about this whole massive online scale that they implied in their earlier videos. I keep my hopes high, but expectations even higher. Too many "revivals" of old series and trademarks are happening lately and I don't know if I can name one that is as good as the titles it aims to be a continuation of (except for the graphics and maybe audio).
How did the remastered turn out? I played it and it was fun to play through same campaign as original games but with improved graphics.

How did the remastered turn out?
It was... okay. The HW1 "remaster" was trash but outside of that I think it was acceptable. The meat and bones of the whole thing is going to be the modding community and the multiplayer anyway, just like for the last two games if we're being honest. Although HW1 did offer probably the most memorable storyfag experience in the whole RTS genre, you can only replay a campaign so many times.

Beowulf

Arcane
From what I read and saw, it was a remake on HW2 engine, so it ditched HW1 "physical" mechanics in favour of HW2 RNG (regarding weapons and damage), incorporated battles scaling, not really working HW1 formations (but HW2 working as intended). I'm talking about HW1 obviously. I guess HW2 got just graphical update with hi-res textures and such.
If it gets good mods that I'll like, I might part with my sheckles.

incorporated battles scaling
This was the thing that drove the campaigns of both games in the remaster almost into unplayable territory. Gearbox should've listened to the criticism that was there even for the game whose engine they were porting it to and tossed it entirely. They could've gone the even further than that and given us a difficulty slider to replace it.

DeepOcean

Arcane
My minimum expectations are: Great storyfag campaign and the gameplay like someone took Supreme Commander and Homeworld and mashed them together, anything less than that and it wasn't worthy to necro the Homeworld franchise.

Perkel

Arcane
Also the stupidity of a carrier on wheels cannot be overstated

? carriers seems resonable for air support on fucking desert.
Though them starting as normal jets instead of vertical is bit weird.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Using footage of spaceships hyperspace jumping in the trailer is just a blow below the belt. They know how much we crave more Homeworld.

Also, on another note, is there a prequel that surpasses the original?

Music is good though.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
It's kind of weird that in this day and age this is releasing next week and we barely know any details about it. Hope it doesn't suck.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
It's kind of weird that in this day and age this is releasing next week and we barely know any details about it. Hope it doesn't suck.

the new kids are not interested in a game that was released before they were born

ArchAngel

Arcane
It is, especially since it has MP which was not beta tested at all. You cannot release a game with serious MP without having a real beta test for it. And they promised matchmaking and stuff, I hope are not fools enough to buy the game for the MP and expect anything.

Beowulf

Arcane
It is, especially since it has MP which was not beta tested at all. You cannot release a game with serious MP without having a real beta test for it. And they promised matchmaking and stuff, I hope are not fools enough to buy the game for the MP and expect anything.

How do you know it was not beta tested at all?
I vaguely remember sign-up on their site for participation in the beta back when it was going to be MMO.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom