Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak - prequel from ex-Relic devs

Severian Silk

I hope this game doesn't have desync issues like HW2 and HWRM. I probably won't play it anyway, since I'm not that big of a fan of RTSs in general. HW1 was merely an exception.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beowulf

Arcane
If it will play like first Ground Control (i.e. no unit production on the battlefield), I might give it a try.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The lack of pr about this can point to it being shit that gearbox just wants to fire and forget.

Hopefully not, but I'm not too optimistic

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
The lack of pr about this can point to it being shit that gearbox just wants to fire and forget.

Hopefully not, but I'm not too optimistic

I don't think it is the case. I mean, it can still be shit, but I think the lack of PR is simply Gearbox being Gearbox.
Gearbox owns the right to the franchise, while Blackbird Interactive are some of the developers of original Homeworld games. I really hope it won't, but it kind of looks like the situation with Fallout 3/ Fallout: NV, only much worse:

Gearbox: "we own the name, but yeah, feel free to impress us guys. After all it is your concept. 85+ metacritics or else..."

Blackbird: "...but there's only 9 of us. How can we...? Can we get some money to hire more staff?"

Gearbox: "that is 10 of you now, right here. Anything else?

Blackbird: "Hmmm. ok, can we get some PR please?"

Gearbox: "Oh, we took care of that, no worries... :lol:"

Blackbird: "KURRRWWAAAA!!!"

Seriously though, from what I saw it may be quite a nice game. The kind of RTS I miss for so loooonnng. In the vein of Myth and (of course) original Homeworld. Story focused. One mission to the next. Unit advancement. Not much micromanagement. In other words, RT tactical war game (and not RTS) with story focus. Rarity these days.

Hope it won't suck.

Last edited:

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm tired of RTSs in general

How can you be tired of RTSses when almost no RTS game is created now ? I mean most of RTSes released in last decade were online oriented. Calling them RTS games in vein of Age of Empire or Command and Conquer is imo invalid.

I can fire up today Earth 2140 which is like some unknown polish RTS (back then it was now it is more or less known) and i will have more fun from it than Starcraft 2 because game focus is completely different.

Older RTSes worked more like puzzlegames where you had to find decent tactic to solve problem. Enemy had total naval lock ? Then focus on airships and work your way out from this. Enemy had 2 secondary bases and 1 main base ? Try to first secure those two secondary and then swoop main one. And so on.

Even mass RTS like Total Anihilation or Cossacs worked differently and had their own spin.

Now it is either garbage SP and no MP or total focus on MP

edit:

Oh and don't forget finite resources missions where you had to use your wits to work with severe limitations (either production or resource).

One of my favorite missions in RTS games was actually from Earth 2140 expansion pack where i had like 7 units and had to sneak for whole map taking out different units and making the most out of my units repairing them, taking control of bases etc. And it was bloody hard too.

Similar situation from Age of Empires 2. first france campaign. You have just militia and pikemen and you work your way out of different situations making most of those units ensuring pikemen won't fight with militiamen but horses and etc.

edit:2

This isn't problem only for RTS games. Game design got progresivelly worse. Developers started to focus more on features instead of gameplay itself and design.

Interesting points my friend. What do you think of the more recent RTS games then, Gray Goo and Planetary Annihilation ? I'm dying to get that itch scratched, but am in probably the same sort of boat as you.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Why do i get the feeling this is going to be shit.

Creating this after homeworld is like someone would invent a spear today and said it is better than a gun in a fight.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I cannot figure out how you can look at the Homeworld IP and go: You know what would be great? A Homeworld game set on a planet, not in fucking space. It beggars belief.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I cannot figure out how you can look at the Homeworld IP and go: You know what would be great? A Homeworld game set on a planet, not in fucking space. It beggars belief.

exactly my point. If the original did start on a planet and this would be in space everyony would be in awe. not the other way around.

It's set on a planet because it's a prequel.

Admittedly the prequel should've been set during the war that got the Kushan exiled to begin with, but that's too distantly attached to the narrative of the original games. Playing as the Taiidan and being the good guys would've been interesting, though.

It suffered a fate worse than what rpgs had to endure.
Warhammer_40,000_Dawn_of_War_II.jpg

Indeed it did.

DraQ

Arcane
It's set on a planet because it's a prequel.

Admittedly the prequel should've been set during the war that got the Kushan exiled to begin with, but that's too distantly attached to the narrative of the original games. Playing as the Taiidan and being the good guys would've been interesting, though.
OTOH half-reboot (reset the series to just HW1 and restart after that) would be most desirable.

As for the prequels, Kiith Nabaal Hulks Out And Pwns The Fundies would be nice.

Angthoron

Arcane
I really want this to not suck because I'd like to see something decent in the RTS genre again, but between it being a small-team indie game and it being "helped" by Gearbox AND Gearbox fucking up HW remakes, there can't be a whole lot of hope.

Perkel

Arcane

Frankly speaking what made for me Homeword awesome was journey not space itself. It was made in era where campaign was treated as such not as bonus to RTS mp game. Like i said in my previous post each mission has some spin on it and it wasn't Go to point B and kill everything and kill everything rest. Always there was something, from pure exploration of signals to different alien civilizations, artifacts, etc.

Ground control imo is what Desert of Kharrak devs should look at when design their game and they actually did mention that GC was huge inspiration

sser

Arcane
Developer
Dan Stapleton seemed to be asking the devs questions they didn't care for. His questions were really obvious, too - you're a bunch of scavengers, so what role does scrap left over from battle play? Answer: none. Do the husks of destroyed vehicles do anything at all? No. If I were to make a game set in a desert featuring a bunch of scavengers in search of an artifact, I'd make scavenging a pretty key component of gameplay. Refurbished vehicles ahoy! By the time you get to the end-game all your stuff has been pieced back together about twenty times and looks the part, too. That'd be pretty cool. That might make for an interesting campaign. That might soften the loss of the Y-axis and the replacement of the mothership with a garsih aircraft-carrier on wheels. But this was a multiplayer game refurbished into a singleplayer campaign with the Homeworld logo slapped on. I wouldn't hold my breath and certainly wouldn't preorder.

Angthoron

Arcane
Dan Stapleton seemed to be asking the devs questions they didn't care for. His questions were really obvious, too - you're a bunch of scavengers, so what role does scrap left over from battle play? Answer: none. Do the husks of destroyed vehicles do anything at all? No. If I were to make a game set in a desert featuring a bunch of scavengers in search of an artifact, I'd make scavenging a pretty key component of gameplay. Refurbished vehicles ahoy! By the time you get to the end-game all your stuff has been pieced back together about twenty times and looks the part, too. That'd be pretty cool. That might make for an interesting campaign. That might soften the loss of the Y-axis and the replacement of the mothership with a garsih aircraft-carrier on wheels. But this was a multiplayer game refurbished into a singleplayer campaign with the Homeworld logo slapped on. I wouldn't hold my breath and certainly wouldn't preorder.
Wasn't there some turn-based game like that, in early 00s? Mechs and stuff, destroyed mechs could be salvaged for scrap or repurposed. Fuck! Forgot the name.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom