Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics Showgunners (formerly Homicidal All-Stars) - turn-based tactics in a brutal late 21st century reality show from Hard West creators

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
if it wasnt for cool deterministic system you guyz wouldnt hear of hard west in first place.

Man im upset. Sir Crispy help me

Developer
You folks are true afficionados of intricate design and I have utmost respect for that (otherwise wouldnt bother to hang out here xD)
but there's a big world out there who doesnt give a flying fuck about those finer things :'-)

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You folks are true afficionados of intricate design and I have utmost respect for that (otherwise wouldnt bother to hang out here xD)
but there's a big world out there who doesnt give a flying fuck about those finer things :'-)
Yes, that's how we get Fallout 3, Oblivion et al.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
if it wasnt for cool deterministic system you guyz wouldnt hear of hard west in first place.

thats not what steam reviews say, fam

the key positives mentioned were 1. mood/setting/vibes 2. abilities/bullet ricochets 3. card system
by 'here' i meant codex. People focus on systems, word of mouth was spread to try out this unique thing.

lol you are right, I tried to slice displayed used reviews and not a single mention of luck or hit system. Looking at PA it appears to be similar?

Are you making rng game for people that wouldnt notice anyway?
cant blame me for trying
some devs implement entropy, like poe for evasion https://pathofexile.fandom.com/wiki/Evasion, or have dice being shuffled deck behind the scenes. Just spill the beans what did you do in here
i want to believe

Gregz

Arcane
it does sound promising
but I looked
it is a rare case where aesthetics are so bland I don't think I will be able to stomach that
I mean, how many cutesy fantasy games can a human organism withstand, really
It's based on a french(bear with me here) comic, rather well done humor which is very rare for the genre. Nobody was really expecting it to be good

The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk was a very pleasant surprise. My interest in this game is piqued; wishlisted.

Developer
Are you making rng game for people that wouldnt notice anyway?
That's an interesting and valid point. I'd assume that the Hard West system was better received because on the outside it kind of pretended to be widely known rng (did have a % chance to hit) and the noobz didn't get the underlying mechanics, but it didnt really affect their experience. Meanwhile, the afficionados could experience the extra layer of gameplay.

There are two problems that we see in a fully deterministic system:
1. the increased predictability results in less excitment and fun (I like Schell's definition of fun = pleasure + surprises) and you have to provide that unpredictability and surprises otherwise (which is costly)
2. getting this to work as well as a run-off-the-mill rng takes a lot of work and resources, which could be invested into something more people will notice/enjoy (in case of HAS, tons of energy went into character abilities and level mechanics instead)

Just spill the beans what did you do in here
we do unspeakable dark evil things behind the curtain :negative:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
There are two problems that we see in a fully deterministic system:
1. the increased predictability results in less excitment and fun (I like Schell's definition of fun = pleasure + surprises) and you have to provide that unpredictability and surprises otherwise (which is costly)
2. getting this to work as well as a run-off-the-mill rng takes a lot of work and resources, which could be invested into something more people will notice/enjoy (in case of HAS, tons of energy went into character abilities and level mechanics instead)
I see you've seen the light.

Codex Year of the Donut

thats not what steam reviews say, fam

the key positives mentioned were 1. mood/setting/vibes 2. abilities/bullet ricochets 3. card system
I get the feeling most normies probably wouldn't understand the difference between Hard West's luck system and RNG unless they took the time to understand the system itself and they don't really care. I don't think they would have noticed at all if it had RNG instead.
OTOH, you risk alienating grognards if you say, make a game like the most recent XCOM spinoff which seemed aimed at a completely different and more casual/mobile audience. Balance in all things, I suppose.

I originally bought Hard West because of its setting btw. I thought the luck system was brilliant because of how well it fit into the theme/game, but it's probably not something that would have made me buy it alone.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Just spill the beans what did you do in here
random_number.png

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I get the feeling most normies probably wouldn't understand the difference between Hard West's luck system and RNG unless they took the time to understand the system itself and they don't really care. I don't think they would have noticed at all if it had RNG instead.
OTOH, you risk alienating grognards if you say, make a game like the most recent XCOM spinoff which seemed aimed at a completely different and more casual/mobile audience. Balance in all things, I suppose.
cloning xcom allows you to receive reviews like
99% chance to hit will miss 100% of the time.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
So some came up with The Running Man game we deserved after all this time? Underrail had a nice part like it but having a full game will be better.
Also from the team team that my favorite 2 tactical games in this decade?

4unr4bgaw0341.jpg

ArchAngel

Arcane
So some came up with The Running Man game we deserved after all this time? Underrail had a nice part like it but having a full game will be better.
Also from the team team that my favorite 2 tactical games in this decade?

4unr4bgaw0341.jpg
LoL, I hated that part.

ArchAngel

Arcane
As for this game, maybe it is unfair because we only got one trailer but Hard West 2 looks more interesting.
Also going for a game like this after you went more ambitious with Phantom Doctrine is pure :decline:

Codex Year of the Donut
I think it might be he's not aware of what you guys are specifically referencing.
That is, new xcom developers flat out saying they lie about the % showed to the players.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
NEEDZ EVEN MOAR BUFFED STRONK WOMENX! GOTTA GET ESG SCORE AS HIGH AS POSSIBLE! Is Caitlyn Jenner character artist?*

*After seeing thousands of MALE soldiers die in Ukraine, their heads blown off, their bodies burned to crisps, their heads chopped off and put on fences, while all women ran off to Western Europe to suck dick and do onlyfans while their brothers, husbands and sons are dying, whenever I see video game with 2/3 of fighters in squad being female: I puke. Then clean my mouth and start laughing while I delete history search for said game. Developers who make these games are fucking DORKS who know nothing about life or reality

Game looks derivative. Derivative in aesthetics, derivative in gameplay. All checkboxes for ESG checked, a single screenshot with male fighter to grab attention of 95% of customers: males who are starved for good tactical game. Nice thematic premise that will probably get drowned in sea of gameplay derivate decisions. Hard West was thematicly, aestheticly and gameplay wise unique

Developer
It's weird that Kacper won't just come out and say if they use a straight, un-fudged RNG system of if it's fudged to help the player.
lol i almost literally said that we do*
wanna know something else
we did in HW and PD as well

i pity the fool who implements a pure rng

*not on hard tho

Last edited:

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I simply LOVED attention to historical authenticity and immersive reality of Phantom Doctrine, your previous game, where Cold War CIA, KGB and Mossad in 70s/80s were made out of niggers, dykes, lesbians, mexican trannies and occasinal circus clown. Really helped me to never waste my money, hard disc memory or life on yet another ESG garbage made by Polish, wanna be Callifornian, DORKS

SJW woke poison with strawberry sweetener. No, thanks

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom