Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TBS HoMM3 fan add-on Horn Of The Abyss now available in English

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
http://heroescommunity.com/viewthread.php3?TID=39830

HotA is a global add-on for Heroes of might and magic III that extends (and fixes if needed) classical gameplay elements and adds some of its own. On a more conceptual level – HotA is an attempt to continue legendary series RoE-AB-SoD as close to the original as it could have been done by NWC team, if only they had more desire, resources or even understanding of their own game. We try to keep classical h3 spirit in every tiny detail from code nuances to overall gameplay

Core features.
-New fully playable town – Cove.
-New war machine – Cannon. Available at Cove’s Blacksmith
-New artifacts and artifact sets
-New banks and conservatories
-New types of map objects
-New heroes
-Towns change their appearance, depending on Fort level
-Map editor
-Support for bigger map sizes (Huge, XHuge and Giant)
-A lot of balance fixes (like finally nerfing the necromancers or making life easier for Tower and Inferno)
-A lot of RMG fixes (for example, removing all sea elements from non-sea random maps)
-A lot of graphical fixes (like, really a lot… original game had plenty of graphical bugs)

Full list of changes here

bXGOAiO7vTQ.jpg

s2oLMF-SciA.jpg

ttfu.jpg

Been waiting for this for quite some time. I'm currently playing it, will post more impressions later. So far it's pretty fucking :obviously:, the new town makes Conflux look like a shitty fan add-on and the changes overall are very faithful to the core game-play, unlike the popular The Wake Of Gods add-on.

Last edited:

Eyeball

Arcane
Will appreciate opinions on this one, particularly whether RMG's are now actually playable and enjoyable.

LOL at that pirate town, it appears they threw everything together into that one. I am Down with the different types of pirate dudes, but what are blue wyvern-Things and lizardmen doing there?

Eyeball

Arcane
The Deep Ones have been pumping some serious iron, then. Bit disappointed to see yet another lizard-thing as the tier 7 monster for the new town. Maybe a Kraken-thing could have been substituted? Would be fun to look at, but a bit weird out of Water.

Looking at the stats for the new creatures, the lizard-Guys look like pretty good tanks, debuffing their enemy's attack rating by 30-60% and the flying lizards get double attacks if they kill at least 1 enemy, which appears pretty danged powerful. Also interesting in that half the critters are shooters, but most only get a few wimpy shots. I assume it's a faction that's mainly for turtling, a bit like how the swamp faction is in Vanilla HOMM3.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
This... looks really good. Not sure if I'm going to install it. I used to have a serious HoMMIII addiction.

They are planning 3 new cities in total. Shit looks professional. But creatures aren't wacky enough.

HOTA_Screen-3.jpg

Eyeball

Arcane
A Dutchman bending over, a midget Chaos Space Marine, a shirtless midget with a redneck beard holding a trash can, a goat, a Jew with a hubcap, a Blue Meanie riding Chewbacca and an obese old man with hypothermia.

How is this NOT wacky enough for you?

TigerKnee

Arcane
Damnit, I don't have a fresh copy of HoMM3 installed to use this. I imagine installing this over the WoG version probably isn't wise.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Would appreciate more impressions guize.

I'm especially interested in the balance and how the new faction fares against the old ones. They claim they improved on that, but you know how things can be...

But yes, looking at the screenshots it seems like the herpu derpu imma modder vibe is pretty weak in this one, which is a huge :incline: for the project of this kind.

m_s0

Arcane
Damnit, I don't have a fresh copy of HoMM3 installed to use this. I imagine installing this over the WoG version probably isn't wise.
Wasn't this supposed to be an add-on for WoG at some point? Did that change along the way?

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Also, does this work with the excellent HD mod? Goddamn, why I'm away from my gaming pc for two weeks right now :x

exe

Augur
I have never tried WoG before, is it worth it? What's its main features? Have HoMM3 still installed, so will probably try both one day.

TigerKnee

Arcane
I have never tried WoG before, is it worth it? What's its main features? Have HoMM3 still installed, so will probably try both one day.
WoG is basically a super mod that tosses in every single idea under the sun and then lets you toggle them on and off/mix and match to your liking.

The default options are kind of a mess but if you're willing to play around with the settings, it can be a fun change of pace. And if you just want to play vanilla you could just switch off everything so before this mod came along there wasn't really any reason not to install it.

Wizfall

Cipher
Wake of God is an excellent mod.
Really great stuff, especially skills and war machine rebalanced.
And as TingerKnee said, you can toggle everything you want on/off so it's awesome.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Been waiting for this for quite some time. I'm currently playing it, will post more impressions later. So far it's pretty fucking :obviously:, the new town makes Conflux look like a shitty fan add-on and the changes overall are very faithful to the core game-play, unlike the popular The Wake Of Gods add-on.

I'll definitely check it out. I played the The Wake Of Gods briefly, but didn't like that you could change castle alignment and all the HoMM 4 graphics that were imported.

P.S. Ranloo's portrait and the unit graphics look very consistent to the HoMM3 style.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
TELL ME IF THE RANDOM MAPS ARE WORTH IT NOW

There are some random generated map fixes listed in the notes, it's still not perfect and will misplace troops and terrain on occasion. What you want is map templates. Basically, everything is hand-placed, but troops, dwellings and resources are randomised. One exception is portals- they have a chance to appear in different places, depending on how many portal placeholders have been put in the map, but it helps the replayability and the impression of randomness quite a bit. It's what pros play. There are tons of template maps, some of them come bundled together with the HD mod.

Wasn't this supposed to be an add-on for WoG at some point? Did that change along the way?

Not to my knowledge. This is created as a proper, classic expansion like SoD or AB, independent of any other fan mods. Just like the official content, installing WoG on top of it will not cause any conflicts, at least that's what they say.

Also, does this work with the excellent HD mod?

Yes, works like a charm. Few people complained about slow-downs, but they're probably faggods with apple II computers.

Last edited:

Borelli

Arcane
Hooooolllyyyy sheeeeeet, this looks damn professional. :salute:A brofist by proxy to them.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
So, how's the new faction? Kind of swamp-castly?

Units have low hp and big dmg ranges, but have tons of debuffs/specials and are native to swamp, so it's more like a toss-up between stronghold and fortress. Heroes are almost on par with barbarians and battlemages as far as skill choices go. They can rush cannons, the new warmachine. Combined with pirates it makes for a deadly early game combo. Add haste, bless, accuracy and you're golden. A decent town overall.

DakaSha

Arcane
TELL ME IF THE RANDOM MAPS ARE WORTH IT NOW

There are some random generated map fixes listed in the notes, it's still not perfect and will misplace troops and terrain on occasion. What you want is map templates. Basically, everything is hand-placed, but troops, dwellings and resources are randomised. One exception is portals- they have a chance to appear in different places, depending on how many portal placeholders have been put in the map, but it helps the replayability and the impression of randomness quite a bit. It's what pros play. There are tons of template maps, some of them come bundled together with the HD mod.

I cant get it to generate a map using a template, at least in the map editor. Having said that, form what i can tell the default template (it is random not pre made) is vastly improved, if just because its actually spawning monsters of all levels.
I may have something to play for awhile now. DIBENS SUCH A BRO

edit: they are really random too. Different shapes, land types, amount of enemies,. Pretty cool

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom