Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Horizon Zero Dawn - open world action-RPG from Guerilla Games - now on PC

Dhaze

Cipher
Now someone needs to add the noise of leather squeaking loudly and painfully with every movement, and that's gold. Also there's a joke in there with her needing a lot of alloy vera to calm the chafing.

mastroego

Arcane
hmmm, Codex consensus, good enough game at a decent discount?
Also, is the ending final enough that one can do without the sequel? I know the sequel expands mostly wokeism so I'd stay away from that.

racofer

Thread Incliner
good enough game at a decent discount?
Worth a pirate only to check the game out, but buying it? Maybe for 5 bucks, but then it's not worth the bandwidth.
is the ending final enough that one can do without the sequel?
Nope. In fact, the sequel continues mere minutes after the ending of the first game. It's a direct follow up of the events set in motion by the end of Horizon Bore Dawn.

Last edited:

mastroego

Arcane
well thanks guys
Consensus reached it would seem...
I'm going to try Control instead, which I got for almost nothing some time ago

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I played it on the hardest difficulty a couple of years ago, and the combat was very enjoyable. Everything else is whatever
I enjoyed the main storyline. The trope they used for the apocalyptic scenario hasn't been done often.

The setup is great. The first hour of the game fools you into thinking it'll be pretty interesting.

The remainder is completely stock, Hollywood trash

Ezekiel

Arcane
Playing the port.

The facial structures and colors in this game are so dumb. So many distinctly white people, blacks, East Asians, Pacific Islanders. How did the races stay so distinct for a thousand or two thousand years living closely together like this, meaning with mixed tribes everywhere? There's never any logic behind it. Might have been better to design them from scratch and style the game not quite realistically than to scan everybody in for a far future game like this.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Playing the port.

The facial structures and colors in this game are so dumb. So many distinctly white people, blacks, East Asians, Pacific Islanders. How did the races stay so distinct for a thousand or two thousand years living closely together like this, meaning with mixed tribes everywhere? There's never any logic behind it. Might have been better to design them from scratch and style the game not quite realistically than to scan everybody in for a far future game like this.
ABOUT THAT..

There's actually a (very stupid) explanation in the game for this, but yes, suffice it to say the developers have no idea what a 'tribe' is. Unless each of the races exclusively avoids intermarriage, everyone is brown in 30 years. Esp. stupid for the Nora, a notoriously clannish and xenophobic tribe, even for the standards of the world.

Overall I found the game's plot monumentally, brain-meltingly, insultingly preposterous, and can explain why in detail.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Playing the port.

ABOUT THAT..

There's actually a (very stupid) explanation in the game for this, but yes, suffice it to say the developers have no idea what a 'tribe' is. Unless each of the races exclusively avoids intermarriage, everyone is brown in 30 years. Esp. stupid for the Nora, a notoriously clannish and xenophobic tribe, even for the standards of the world.

Overall I found the game's plot monumentally, brain-meltingly, insultingly preposterous, and can explain why in detail.
Do it. Tell me. You're not spoiling. Already played it years ago on the 4 and barely followed what was going on.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Playing the port.

ABOUT THAT..

Do it. Tell me. You're not spoiling. Already played it years ago on the 4 and barely followed what was going on.

I haven't played this since it came out, but isn't it because
nobody survived the apocalypse on the surface, and all humans are just pod people that were released from underground? No idea how long nu-civilization has been around.

But yeah everybody should be some shade of brown, a la Forever War.

Also unfortunate that the only passable writing in the game was from the notes left behind during the apocalypse. Coming to grips with the fact that the world is ending and you couldn't do anything to stop it, and that the military was doing a fighting retreat from day 1, was kind of poignant.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Playing the port.

ABOUT THAT..

I haven't played this since it came out, but isn't it because
nobody survived the apocalypse on the surface, and all humans are just pod people that were released from underground? No idea how long nu-civilization has been around.
Around 700 years.

Doesn't bother me personally as its something I can overlook (and imo there are a lot more worse issues), but yeah.

Ezekiel

Arcane
"Death from the Skies" is a stupid side mission that reveals how broken the scripting can get. Story is about a beacon attracting flying robots to a village. She tracks it to an abandoned shop high on a mountain. New objective was to disable the three beacons and destroy the giant thunder bird or whatever it's called. Didn't understand why I had to destroy the bird too. Didn't have any potions left and bird was a few levels above me on Hard. Turned off the three beacons as the bird tried to kill me and then dove off the tree in one of those mini-cutscenes where she throws the rope while already falling. After running a bit, the objective updated. I had apparently destroyed the bird by doing nothing but leaving the area. So then I climbed all the way back up to investigate the shop.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I do not like the idea of fast travel in games, generally. Refrain from using it most of the time, in spite of my preference for linear and interconnected, dense games and smaller hubs and and finding most open worlds largely wasteful. But teleporting just cheapens it so much. You go over all that area with your character and inventory unaffected. If there was an in-world explanation for it, I would be more willing to use it. Some machine that pulls your atoms apart and puts them back together or an actual portal. But if the game world doesn't allow for that, then you must do everything possible to make the journey on foot entertaining, because I will probably not use the fast travel. Well, they should be doing that anyway.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I've been talking a lot about my annoyance with tiresome crouching in what seems like now the majority of AAA games. There is an ability in this game called Low Profile, which makes it harder for enemies to see you crouch from a distance. How? Also, how does she make her sprint quieter with the Quiet Sprint ability? I'm gonna avoid upgrading this whole path. I know I'm in the wrong place, but I've always found "roleplaying" largely stupid.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
I use the Nora Brave outfit and find most of the costumes boring. Wish the wardrobe had more variety. Her stomach looks weird with those outfits exposing it. It seems to go inward.

racofer

Thread Incliner
I played it on the hardest difficulty a couple of years ago, and the combat was very enjoyable. Everything else is whatever
I enjoyed the main storyline. The trope they used for the apocalyptic scenario hasn't been done often.
True. The setting is actually very interesting and the whole premise is refreshing since it takes place after humanity got buttfucked instead of having you trying to avoid it.

The setup is great. The first hour of the game fools you into thinking it'll be pretty interesting.

The remainder is completely stock, Hollywood trash
I would have sincerely enjoyed this game had it done stealth properly, but like I've already posted earlier in this thread, they managed to make it even more stupid than in the Far Cry series.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Why don't they just pause the game when you're choosing items!? I know people love their RPGs but the controller design and the keyboard being limited to that same scrolling system with all the items makes battles much too clunky. Pressing Shift to slow time while I'm scrolling with keys Z and X isn't adequate because of how limited your slow motion is. It's dumb that you scroll through seven items to get the one you need. Better would be assigning all weapons and items to the number row and toggling from weapons to items with an alternator key, but since we can't have that because of parity probably, just pause the game! Oh no, players would complain that it makes it not action enough and too RPG, because they don't REALLY want to play pure RPGs, they only want everything to be a pseudo-RPG. I don't care. It's not a good action game anyway. Girl rolls around non-stop like an animal and combat really needed more than just bows and a spear that does very little against heavier enemies.

Last edited:
Why don't they just pause the game when you're choosing items!? I know people love their RPGs but the controller design and the keyboard being limited to that same scrolling system with all the items makes battles much too clunky. Pressing Shift to slow time while I'm scrolling with keys Z and X isn't adequate because of how limited your slow motion is. It's dumb that you scroll through seven items to get the one you need. Better would be assigning all weapons and items to the number row and toggling from weapons to items with an alternator key, but since we can't have that because of parity probably, just pause the game! Oh no, players would complain that it makes it not action enough and too RPG, because they don't REALLY want to play pure RPGs, they only want everything to be a pseudo-RPG. I don't care. It's not a good action game anyway. Girl rolls around non-stop like an animal and combat really needed more than just bows and a spear that does very little against heavier enemies.
I'm not here to defend the game's control scheme or UI/UX (which absolutely are trash), but the game is overall so easy that this seems like a weird nit to pick. Aloy is completely OP by the halfway mark, and as such the UI for item management doesn't meaningfully impact the game's play-experience.

Also I may be misremembering, but can't you go into the full-pause menu to swap items in and out of the quick-access menu? If that's the case then you do have the functionality you're asking for, it's just clunky as hell. Possible I'm misremembering about that though; it's been over a year since I played the game.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I obviously started to trigger some RPG Codex users (maybe I should I get a prize), and farm retarded icons and stuff by sharing unpopular opinions about Horizon game. A game that's not perfect, but can provide quite a few bright moments of writing, and some ingenious gameplay mechanics to people who are not easily daunted by somewhat long and superficial beginnings.

So, here's to further the case :lol:

https://www.thegamer.com/horizon-zero-dawn-quotes-will-stick-forever/#think-you-can-stop-me

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I liked the first game well enough to platinum it (and you gotta finish it twice to do that). Yes the protagonist is a stronk phemyle carakthur, plus she's ugly and boring, but the worldbuilding and story and some NPCs were okay. Plus I really liked the combat, especially in NG+ on Ultra Hard.

Definitely getting the sequel, even tho it was apparently written by a bunch of soyboys and diversity hires instead of John Gonzales. Will probably get it at the first sale.

Zlaja

Arcane
but the worldbuilding and story and some NPCs were okay.

Haven't played the sequel, but from everything I've heard about the game those things are all worse than in the first game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom